Armormech - Huge Waste of Time and Money

Smokt

Seriously. What a joke. I poured a pile of credits into leveling this skill up along with more credits into companion affection to improve results.

1. As far as I can tell there are NO GEAR BENEFITS specific to armormech. A player with 400 armormech is no better off than a player with zero crafting skills. I.e. no BIS gear requires 400 armormech to equip. PLEASE correct me if I am wrong here, I would be so happy.

2. Therefore, the only possible benefit armormech could offer is to make cash.

BUT

3. It costs a ton of money to get the mats from missions.

4. The price that you can sell your crafted gear is below the mat cost because of the massive SUPPLY of armormechs.

AND

5. If instead you decide to re-engineer it you have to forego the tiny bit of money just for the CHANCE at a better recipe. But that recipe is totally random, so it could take FOREVER to get the one you want. I.e. you can be a tank and get a medic recipe.

FINALLY

6. Even if you do get the blue recipe you want it will end up most likely being INFERIOR to an orange modded piece unless you can get it to CRIT. And forget about getting purples, these are like 100k+ investments at a minimum at high levels.

7. And lets not forget, critting requires further investment in your companion's affection.

8. And the icing on the cake is the GTN is SO BAD that even if people did have the slightest desire for my crafted Exceptional Good or Purple Good, they are likely deterred by the horrific shopping experience at the GTN.

So LESSON LEARNED. Don't level up armormech. The way this game is designed is that there are just WAY TOO MANY high level crafters since its so easy, and we've all been duped big time into the ARMORMECH AND COMPANION AFFECTION SCAM.

Edited by Smokt

In case it wasnt clear from the thread. My bubble is already burst.

if you think Armormech is a let down

try cybertech, you pretty much get......... nothing?

its so bad that you get free mods from dailys that are BETTER then level 400 cyber-trash (Which costs alot.....yes ALOT of money)

Yeah, noticed this as well as i leveled the skill. At first glance it looks nice but then you start to notice that quest rewards are not that far off/if even the same... and when you count in flashpoints, it just knocks the ball out of the park.

I'd be so surprised if i ever witnessed decent crafting in a mmo. Good luck even selling your crafted gear to players. It's like in WoW you craft and then vendor(disenchant) everything because nobody in the right mind would buy your junk to begin with.

Issue with Armormech/Synthweaving is:

1.) We can make oranges but they CANT BE RE'ED! The level 39 chest sells for 395 credit which is a joke and I cant get mats back from it.

2.) Crits. Come end game folks are going to be looking for 4 slot armor peices and the only way to get it is through your AM/Synth. However unless you ridiculously lucky, you are looking at 5-6 crafts for the hope of a crit, and no one wants a non crit orange item. See #1

3.) RE'ed patterns. Need to be switched to a craft 5 and get upgrade for pattern. I have crafted 10 lvl 50 helmets and gotten ZERO patterns from it. Lvl6 UT metals are at least 5k credits for missions not counting other costs.

I can only HOPE that BW does something to make things better for the AM/SW folks because it is currently a waste, esp when no one buys anything but purples on GTN

While Armormech is expensive, I am having fun with it. I do like that I am equipping myself with nearly full purple as I level up. As a Vanguard, I really count on my gear to keep me protected. I have not seen a Vanguard my level with better gear so far. I had to start selling some purples to pay for my speeder license, but I am having fun making the armor. I don't know if there will be a real payoff at high level, but having fun is enough for me.

Yes it does.

It's bind on pickup and only crafted through an armormech schematic.

Well, I guess we can hope for more of these but it seems silly to tie CRAFTING so closely to RAIDING. Hopefully, there will be some BIS pieces available only to Armormechs.

Seriously. What a joke. I poured a pile of credits into leveling this skill up along with more credits into companion affection to improve results.

1. As far as I can tell there are NO GEAR BENEFITS specific to armormech. A player with 400 armormech is no better off than a player with zero crafting skills. I.e. no BIS gear requires 400 armormech to equip. PLEASE correct me if I am wrong here, I would be so happy.

2. Therefore, the only possible benefit armormech could offer is to make cash.

BUT

3. It costs a ton of money to get the mats from missions.

4. The price that you can sell your crafted gear is below the mat cost because of the massive SUPPLY of armormechs.

AND

5. If instead you decide to re-engineer it you have to forego the tiny bit of money just for the CHANCE at a better recipe. But that recipe is totally random, so it could take FOREVER to get the one you want. I.e. you can be a tank and get a medic recipe.

FINALLY

6. Even if you do get the blue recipe you want it will end up most likely being INFERIOR to an orange modded piece unless you can get it to CRIT. And forget about getting purples, these are like 100k+ investments at a minimum at high levels.

7. And lets not forget, critting requires further investment in your companion's affection.

8. And the icing on the cake is the GTN is SO BAD that even if people did have the slightest desire for my crafted Exceptional Good or Purple Good, they are likely deterred by the horrific shopping experience at the GTN.

So LESSON LEARNED. Don't level up armormech. The way this game is designed is that there are just WAY TOO MANY high level crafters since its so easy, and we've all been duped big time into the ARMORMECH AND COMPANION AFFECTION SCAM.

I need you to make my orange augmented gear. Please don't give up.

Armormech's and Synthweavers will be the only ones that can crit on orange gear thus giving us orange augmented gear in the design style we like.

Also orange augmented gear will be better than any other gear in game; it may take a while and be costly to get all the top (i.e. armoring 25 mods etc) for the orange gear, but it is statistically superior to the Rakata or BattleMaster sets. The only downside is that orange gear doesn't offer a 2 or 4 piece bonus for sets.

Alright I will stick with it!

Where do I get these orange schematics, underworld trading?

Do I need special missions from UT or just the default ones?

The Schematics come from various places. As I only do Cybertech I'm not sure where the oranges drop from. I know guildies that have a few, but I've never asked them.

First, thx for the comments, i will stick to the armormech too.

A guildie gave me an orange lvl 50 schematic, and he has it from treasure hunting? is it possible?

i know he only has TH as mission skill and he is 30ish lvl so it could not be a drop.

Edited by mmolotov

I think what we might need instead of JUST the GTN is a "Bounty Board" for gear. You post what you want.

i.e. Bounty Hunter Looking for (insert item name here) Orange, with Augment slot. Will pay for your time and materials to craft.

This way, none of us are going to take a bath on what we (as Armormechs) are going to shell out to attempt to get that crit on the orange.

Just a thought, or we need to utilize someplace on the forums (or another forum) for listing the "I want" items.

Of course, we can always toss this around in chat while in game, but people will have to realize it may take several attempts to create this, and (just throwing a random time here) at 20 minutes per attempt could take a while to get the item created.

Again, Just a thought....

These are teh same reasons I that will made me give up armstech. I'm a level 19 sniper and so far I have not used a single item I crafted all items from quests and vendors are much better and cheaper. I so no reason to level armstech beyond lvl85.

Not if you reverse engineer an item to its highest quality. Most low level quest rewards are green while i can reverse a green to near epic quality.

Not if you reverse engineer an item to its highest quality. Most low level quest rewards are green while i can reverse a green to near epic quality.

My gun is orange (50) with level 6 mods. There is no way that I can make anything like that with armstech unless I spend a lot of credits on it.

Or the RNG fairy Smiles on you and gives you 1st/2nd try RE recipe upgrade.

TBH all crafting sucks apart from Biochem (the only skill where crafted stuff is better then shop stuff).

If the made the crafting base recipes start with blues then they be worthwhile doing IMO.