Synthweaving?

Soonerjohn

Supposedly, the best pre-raid gear is actually from armor making professions.

The reason is that an critically crafted Purple comes with an "extra" augment slot, which will take the stats of the item beyond that of a similar item level orange gear.

At least, that was my understanding.

Synthweaving - not worth it imo. I was really shocked when I received far better equipement after completition of a quest than from crafting. Besides, there are fully modable items already and are far more customizable than hand-crafted ones.

And yea, I also tried synthweaving and got it to 180 :-( rerolling cybertech 2day.

Supposedly, the best pre-raid gear is actually from armor making professions.

The reason is that an critically crafted Purple comes with an "extra" augment slot, which will take the stats of the item beyond that of a similar item level orange gear.

At least, that was my understanding.

Same goes for mods doesn't it? There are modifications exceeding those you can get from quests or NPC, so again, what's the point? Combining synthweaving with cybertech, I mean crafted items with crafted mods would be a good explanation for synthweaving, but as far as I know, you cannot craft fully modable items (orange ones).

Edited by Carousel_t

\Same goes for mods doesn't it? There are modifications exceeding those you can get from quests or NPC, so again, what's the point? Combining synthweaving with cybertech, I mean crafted items with crafted mods would be a good explanation for synthweaving, but as far as I know, you cannot craft fully modable items (orange ones).

Not quite. For your armor making professions. You can craft purples normally, and lets just say a lvl 50 purple armor has 50 stat points on it. You obviously can craft purple mods and put them into orange gear to make that Orange gear equivalent to Purple gear, having 50 stat points.

For the armor crafting professions however, you can "crit" on making a purple peice of gear, and it will have the Exceptional Prefix, and have an open augment slot. When filled, this peice of gear suddenly has say 52 stat points on it. The orange gear cannot have an augment slot, and there are no critical mods to make up for it.

Thats how the exceptionally crafted gear can come out on top of orange gear.

Edit:Augment slots are filled with Augments that you only can get from slicing. They function like modifications, however, the slots are only availible on crafted gear, and it, to my knowledge, is considered bonus stats when adding up stat points to meet the ilvl of an item.

Edited by Azureas

Not quite. For your armor making professions. You can craft purples normally, and lets just say a lvl 50 purple armor has 50 stat points on it. You obviously can craft purple mods and put them into orange gear to make that Orange gear equivalent to Purple gear, having 50 stat points.

For the armor crafting professions however, you can "crit" on making a purple peice of gear, and it will have the Exceptional Prefix, and have an open augment slot. When filled, this peice of gear suddenly has say 52 stat points on it. The orange gear cannot have an augment slot, and there are no critical mods to make up for it.

Thats how the exceptionally crafted gear can come out on top of orange gear.

Edit:Augment slots are filled with Augments that you only can get from slicing. They function like modifications, however, the slots are only availible on crafted gear, and it, to my knowledge, is considered bonus stats when adding up stat points to meet the ilvl of an item.

Is it possible to crit on a crafted orange armor and get the augment slot?

Thanks for explaining Azureas. That would make it quite interesting indeed but as Bioware stated (I heard it somewhere on conference I think) they would make findable items just as powerful as those that can be crafted because they didn't want to force people to go either way. Frankly I would have agreed to such solution to some extend, I don't, however, think, crafted mods should be equaly powerful as those obtainable with comodations for example. Edited by Carousel_t

can't you get schematics to make orange gear? Just wondering are you guys all just buying your orange gear from vendors?

Also, as far as I can tell synthweaving is at least more useful than armortech, at least it allows you to craft light, med, and hvy armor...

can't you get schematics to make orange gear? Just wondering are you guys all just buying your orange gear from vendors?

Also, as far as I can tell synthweaving is at least more useful than armortech, at least it allows you to craft light, med, and hvy armor...

I'm not buying any gear from vendors. I'm sometimes buying schematics for orange gear from GTN though.

And Armormech crafts light/medium/heavy armor as well, but with different stats then Synthweaving. Sythweaving produces gear with Strength/Willpower, Armormeach with Aim/Cunning.

Still, synthweaving sounds a lot more expensive than cybertech and wields lot less profits. I mean to try and reverse engeneer some armor is a pain, but to make another like that with prefix is just insane. I've made few armors with prefixes and augment slots but every time I found mods being better. Not worth it for that "crit" 5 or even 10 armor if you asked me. Hope I change my mind as I'm already 180 synthweaving and 200 archeology.

The only use I'm finding with it is making gear for my companion.

When you think about it, the market for this will be relatively small since it only makes items for force-users.

My hubby is artifice and it seems much more useful endgame. Also, the items won't necessarily be outleveled as quickly.

Synthweaving is only marginally useful. There are a couple of end game schematics, but so far I am not at all impressed with what I see. I've crafted upwards of 15 of a particular item and not received an upgraded blue (or purple if RE'ing a blue) schematic or a critical craft.

The cost/time ratio for doing that is pretty bad. 800 credits for the mission for components like Demicot Silk, plus another 800 for whatever blue or purple UT fabric I need... roughly 10-15 minutes for each mission plus 15 minutes to craft the item.

Not to mention making sure I've farmed enough artifact fragments and power crystals.

45 minutes and 1600 credits per item. Often by the time I get a purple schematic, I've out-leveled the item and/or found better/equivalent gear from comm vendors.

Crafting currently takes too much time and gives too little reward.

Edited by Heimskringla

I have a question: Anyone of people posting here actually reached lvl 50 and synthwaving at 400? Cause all I see are newbies posting newbie things without knowledge to answer OP question.

Don't feel insulted please, but what's the point of posting the answer to OP question if you don't know that you can craft orange-quality items or when you barely reached lvl 200 synthwaving.

I reached lvl 320 and so far haven't got any item from quests that's better than what I'm capable of crafting.

So obviously people that get quest rewards better than stuff they can craft are:

1) Doing it wrong

2) Have higher level than the gear they can craft

2a) which is exactly the same as point 1

3) They don't craft second tier purple quality items

Now, back to topic:

Is there any use for this skill endgame? It seems there is better gear out there and cybertech takes care of mods.

Am I missing something?

Yes, at level 50 from what I heard from my guild members the situation is exactly like that.

I searched web for info about schematics and it looks like there are some that you can compare with good lvl50 raid drop gear, but the amount of them is very very low and they are extremely difficult to find. I also don't think that you can actually craft whole armor set with synthwaving that's better than lvl50 raid loot armor set, but I'm not 100% sure of that.

Edited by Sky_walkerPL

I have a question: Anyone of people posting here actually reached lvl 50 and synthwaving at 400? Cause all I see are newbies posting newbie things without knowledge to answer OP question.

Don't feel insulted please, but what's the point of posting the answer to OP question if you don't know that you can craft orange-quality items or when you barely reached lvl 200 synthwaving.

I reached lvl 320 and so far haven't got any item from quests that's better than what I'm capable of crafting.

So obviously people that get quest rewards better than stuff they can craft are:

1) Doing it wrong

2) Have higher level than the gear they can craft

2a) which is exactly the same as point 1

3) They don't craft second tier purple quality items

Now, back to topic:

Yes, at level 50 from what I heard from my guild members the situation is exactly like that.

I searched web for info about schematics and it looks like there are some that you can compare with good lvl50 raid drop gear, but the amount of them is very very low and they are extremely difficult to find. I also don't think that you can actually craft whole armor set with synthwaving that's better than lvl50 raid loot armor set, but I'm not 100% sure of that.

um, sir, you've just answered the questions, as it seems, but said EXACTLY what we "low level newbies" were saying in the first place - you can get equivalent equipement in raids or by simply applying mods plus, it probably won't be as good as end-game gear found in raids. ON TOP OF THAT i'd like to quote bioware at the conference (okey, i won't quote as i don't exacly remember what they said but) what they ment was - they don't want you to craft best gear without any effort, so, you'll have to actually find best items as a drop from raids.

TO SUM UP - yes, synthweaving is useless.

btw. skywalker, you obviously haven't exchanged your commodations for new mods have you? i have, and i got my synthweaving at a level where i can craft exactly the level of item i currently have (meaning i'm up to date with crafting) and still, all gear seems better with mods.

the biggest advantage of mods is flexibility. you don't have to craft completly new item each time you want to respec from DPS to HEAL or TANK, you can simply replace current mods and just hop-in the action. try doing the same with synthweaving and ill see you in new gear in like.. well.. never..

also, try and dismantle as much gear as it's needed to craft both, heavy, medium and light armors to fully dress yourself and your companions - it's virtualy impossible.

those are the main reasons FOR ME why i'm standing firm against synthweaving as it is now.

hope someone proves me wrong till i get home ^^

btw. skywalker, you obviously haven't exchanged your commodations for new mods have you?

I'll surprise you:

Through all my game I exchanged my commendations for anything else than mods only 3 times.

the biggest advantage of mods is flexibility. you don't have to craft completly new item each time you want to respec from DPS to HEAL or TANK, you can simply replace current mods and just hop-in the action.

I don't respec every 5 minutes. I like my character the way it is. I also don't run switching companions every few moments. Perhaps that's the reason why you have issues with synthwaving?

also, try and dismantle as much gear as it's needed to craft both, heavy, medium and light armors to fully dress yourself and your companions - it's virtualy impossible.

Oh RLY?

1. You don't need to dress ALL of your companions with most recent gear.

2. Some of companions can wear more than one type of armor simplifying task a bit

3. I actually have right now: purple quality light armor full set. Purple quality medium armor full set minus gloves, And about 50% of purple quality heavy armor, but that's cause I don't use heavy armor much and it sells like crap on market. All of this at my level +- 3. Enough to be better than quest rewards.

Edited by Sky_walkerPL

I'll surprise you:

Through all my game I exchanged my commendations for anything else than mods only 3 times.

I don't respec every 5 minutes. I like my character the way it is. I also don't run switching companions every few moments. Perhaps that's the reason why you have issues with synthwaving?

Oh RLY?

1. You don't need to dress ALL of your companions with most recent gear.

2. Some of companions can wear more than one type of armor simplifying task a bit

3. I actually have right now: purple quality light armor full set. Purple quality medium armor full set minus gloves, And about 50% of purple quality heavy armor, but that's cause I don't use heavy armor much and it sells like crap on market. All of this at my level +- 3. Enough to be better than quest rewards.

Hm, i don't get it then, i craft purple equipement and yet high level mods are better for me. And i don't respec at all. If i did, however, i'd go with mods, and even if i don't respec i still am going to choose mods because there's no real difference between both crafting paths is there? i also don't switch companions that much, however, there are missions where you have to use one or the other, or it so happens, guardians have kira who is great at synthweaving and since i use her for dps, i have to switch to T7 when she's crafting (which now, at low level, takes me around 16min to craft one item). Yes, some comapnions can wear different types of armors, but should they? If, for example, you can wear medium armor, should you craft yourself light one? That's not a valid point at all. I can agree with you having all that purple armor makes you somewhat better equiped than if you used comodation mods, but what if you could craft your own? And are those items you craft, well, simply put - lasting long? Or do you have to craft every few levels? If so, I can easly say, if those items are BoE then it soacks a lot of credits.

thanks sky_walker, i see you put a lot of efford in that post. yet i'm still not convinced :-)

Stick with the profession you like imo, no matter if it makes money or not

+1 im going with biochem!

Edited by Carousel_t

They were supposed to change all the blue (and purple, I guess) full-mod gear to orange, but I don't think they did that with craft items (or it's a bug). It may have been intentional, because you can crit on crafted items for the augment slot and they wanted to represent that.

So, while the "no augment on orange" statement may be correct, I'm betting you can crit on the blue/purple full-mod craft items (which function EXACTLY the same as orange) and get the aug slot.

Regardless, I can craft full-mod chest pieces and helms that are currently blue-bordered but function exactly like orange. i.e. base stats, 4 slots. It's how I got the full-mod helm I've been craving, so synthweaving has been totally worth it to me.

Edit: I see other people are apparently crafting oranges, though. So, maybe it's a bug. I'm not sure why Bioware would make full-mod blue/purple and full-mod orange that function exactly the same (same base stats, same 4 slots, same model). At any rate, to the OP, making full-mod armor for the look that I want and matches or exceeds any gear I've found thus far has been totally worth it. Whether it will remain that way at level 50 remains to be seen, but it's been worth it "on the way".

Edited by Tylthul

Im mid 200s I have a few orange schematics I can craft.

Only being 27 my crafting is higher than my level so I always have blue/purple/orange gear on that I crafted, WHICH are very similar to commendation bought gear or better (with augment)

The only difference would be +2 this stat or +10 armor etc... very minimal difference. Some stats are superior on my crafted items than commendations and vice versa. So I guess it depends on the stats your looking for. I mainly use my commendations to gear my companions, lightsabers, and mods.

Costly, yes... I think I have sold very very few pieces, so few to the point that I just RE everything to learn purple schematics and get resources back.

End game IMO only a few synthweavers will be viable because only a few will have the schematics necessary to compete against less costly PVP gear (just spam warzones/dailies), raid gear, and commendation bought gear that is very close to the un-slotted crafted gear.

I can agree with you having all that purple armor makes you somewhat better equiped than if you used comodation mods, but what if you could craft your own? And are those items you craft, well, simply put - lasting long? Or do you have to craft every few levels? If so, I can easly say, if those items are BoE then it soacks a lot of credits.

?Hmm? What if I could craft my own what? Mods? I can't so it doesn't matter, does it? ;) In theory I should be able to get an item that equals to purple-quality with orange one filled with purple mods. But that means I need to craft loads of purple quality items and get loads of oranges to fill them with mods for whole armor. Not really worth the effort IMO. Even if maths shows that it's better.

My items usually last for few levels, hard to tell really, but I never felt like: "wow, my gear is so very outdated!". Let's put it this way: On flashpoints I very very rarely meet better equipped players that are around my level (and i check people very often if they have something looking nice I'd want to get).

But yes: my crafting soaks a lot of credits. I mean: A LOT. If not the fact that I sell loads of stuff on market I would be bankrupt ages ago. I rarely have more than 40k on account.

+1 im going with biochem!

Hehe, that will never stop. Biochem is ATM the best crafting thing anyone can get, and I dare to say that it's at least few times better than any skill that crafts armor/weapons.

You just need to make a buff that reduces damage you get and basically it works like a best possible armor.

Edited by Sky_walkerPL

If Synthweaving whilst levelling is any indication then I hope end-game is good. I am currently 290/400 at lvl 32 and I am extremlly well equipped and so is my companion. Even if it doesn't turn out to be a money maker, at least any inqs and warriors who are levelling need stuff I can give it them.

If it's true that purples with the augment slot turn out to always be better than oranges then for me synthweaving is useless. The point was that I could make my character look the way I wanted, even in the endgame, by just modding orange gear I liked the looks of. This is also what BioWare has regularly promised us (see the latest post "explaining" their changes to the mod system during beta, it's still up).

This more and more seems to be turning out to not be the case (augment slots, gear with setbonuses etc) meaning they just blatantly lied to us (they also refused and still refuse to comment on any of these issues, or on much of anything at all really). I noticed a few Inquisitors on my server already with a few pieces of raid gear and it looks like **** (imnsho) so they better fix this before our guild gets to raid levels. I don't need another WoW where I need to look like an idiot if I want to wear the "best" stuff and do the "hardest" content.

As for orange gear you can get patterns from Underworld Trading (and other mission skills I guess) but they are so rare it's not even funny (been over 3 days since I got my last one and I run missions most of the time I'm online, which is like 10-30missions/day). The GTN doesn't tell you what you already know so buying them there is a painful exercise as you can't open the craft window and the GTN window at the same time (and even then you can't sort things alphabetically). Not to mention the orange patterns are dumped together with the blue ones, just to make finding them even more inconvenient.

has anyone made any actual tests about orange critting? Ive spent yesterday crafting orange armor with Kira (+5 crit synth) and nothing critted, but 10 pieces is not exactly statistical.

Ive made assumptions, that even orange gear can take augment slot. Crafted gear should be after all superior, for crafting to have some meaning.