Deaths that could have easily been avoided

Shotgonius

Thinking back on the Star Wars films, there were some deaths that could have easily been avoided.

I'll assume you all have seen the films and not use spoiler tags.

If you haven't seen them...what are you waiting for? Go. Now.

Still here? Good.

Darth Vader

At the end of ROTJ, when Luke defeats Vader, he throws his lightsaber on the ground. Palpatine shocks Luke and Vader limps to Palpatine. Vader makes his decision and sacrifices himself by throwing Palpatine into the chasm.

Why didn't Vader just grab Luke's lightsaber and stab Palpatine? That would have been much simpler and he'd be able to spend time with his kids and atone for his mistakes.

Please don't say he didn't have enough time or Palpatine would have sensed it or something. Vader could have used Force Pull to get the lightsaber and stabbed Palpatine, which would take about 2 seconds total. Lifting Palpatine and throwing him took like 10 seconds.

Palpatine would have sensed it? Maybe. But why didn't Palpatine sense...or see...or hear...Vader lunging for Palpatine to pick him up?

"Oh Luke would have died if he was shocked any longer!" No. He wouldn't have. Palpatine endured like a minute of his own lightning, which was stronger than the lightning in ROTJ. Plus, Luke is in much better shape than Palpatine was. I think he could have endured a little longer.

Qui-Gon Jinn

I know. I know. The prequels had a lot of logic gaps and plot holes. But this one stands out.

Why would they send just two Jedi to protect a very important queen of a very important planet?

A better question. Why would they send a morally grey Jedi (Grey...get it...Liam Neeson...) and his padawan...not even a full Jedi...to protect the queen?

As shown in AotC and ROTS, there are thousands of Jedi. I'm pretty sure on a high priority mission like this, they would have sent a Council member...or at least more than two Jedi. Even three or four would have made a difference.

Imagine the fight against Darth Maul...but with 4 Jedi? Imagine what difference that would have made.

Another scenario. Obi-Wan has been depicted as using Force Speed, even in his padawan days. Why not use Force Speed to catch up with Qui-Gon and defeat Darth Maul?

"Well Force Speed hadn't been invented by George Lucas yet..."

Okay. Fine. I'll give you that one. But does Obi-Wan forget that he has a very powerful weapon in his hand? Earlier in the movie, Qui-Gon used a lightsaber to nearly cut through a blast door designed to withstand huge explosions.

Why didn't Obi-Wan just...slice the barrier generators? In the five minutes that Darth Maul was seething and Qui-Gon was using introspection, Obi-Wan could have been destroying the shield generators to catch up with his master.

Thoughts? Other examples?

Edited by Shotgonius

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I lately heard that obi wan used force speed in the forcefields corridor when he tried to get back to the fight against maul

But anyway Grand moff tarkin's death was utterly stupid IMO , Why isn't there a damn shield on the exhaust port ? nothing was protecting it in case of an attack ... , And why did he sent like 5 fighters in the battle , the Deathstar porbably had thousands in it's hangars...

I lately heard that obi wan used force speed in the forcefields corridor when he tried to get back to the fight against maul

But anyway Grand moff tarkin's death was utterly stupid IMO , Why isn't there a damn shield on the exhaust port ? nothing was protecting it in case of an attack ... , And why did he sent like 5 fighters in the battle , the Deathstar porbably had thousands in it's hangars...

The port was protected by a ray sheild, so only proton torpedos could bypass that.

As for Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan vs Maul, destroying the generators could have had consequences in doing so he could have blown both himself up and his master and Maul because the power that is being dispersed through the feilds would build up and possibly could have caused a reaction or something.

Also as to why there were only two jedi to protect the queen, thats really all that was needed up until the trade federation took over Naboo. But by that time, they also had Naboo security forces, the gungan army, and naboo pilots.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

And why did he sent like 5 fighters in the battle , the Deathstar porbably had thousands in it's hangars...

Tarkin didn't send any fighters at all. He didn't believe the Rebel attack was a threat so he just ignored it.

Vader did recognize it as a threat, so he scrambled Black Squadron, his own personal squadron directly under his command. All of those TIE fighters in the battle were from Black Squadron.

Edited by Stncold

Read Death Star.

Thinking back on the Star Wars films, there were some deaths that could have easily been avoided.

I'll assume you all have seen the films and not use spoiler tags.

If you haven't seen them...what are you waiting for? Go. Now.

Still here? Good.

Darth Vader

At the end of ROTJ, when Luke defeats Vader, he throws his lightsaber on the ground. Palpatine shocks Luke and Vader limps to Palpatine. Vader makes his decision and sacrifices himself by throwing Palpatine into the chasm.

Why didn't Vader just grab Luke's lightsaber and stab Palpatine? That would have been much simpler and he'd be able to spend time with his kids and atone for his mistakes.

Please don't say he didn't have enough time or Palpatine would have sensed it or something. Vader could have used Force Pull to get the lightsaber and stabbed Palpatine, which would take about 2 seconds total. Lifting Palpatine and throwing him took like 10 seconds.

Palpatine would have sensed it? Maybe. But why didn't Palpatine sense...or see...or hear...Vader lunging for Palpatine to pick him up?

"Oh Luke would have died if he was shocked any longer!" No. He wouldn't have. Palpatine endured like a minute of his own lightning, which was stronger than the lightning in ROTJ. Plus, Luke is in much better shape than Palpatine was. I think he could have endured a little longer.

Qui-Gon Jinn

I know. I know. The prequels had a lot of logic gaps and plot holes. But this one stands out.

Why would they send just two Jedi to protect a very important queen of a very important planet?

A better question. Why would they send a morally grey Jedi (Grey...get it...Liam Neeson...) and his padawan...not even a full Jedi...to protect the queen?

As shown in AotC and ROTS, there are thousands of Jedi. I'm pretty sure on a high priority mission like this, they would have sent a Council member...or at least more than two Jedi. Even three or four would have made a difference.

Imagine the fight against Darth Maul...but with 4 Jedi? Imagine what difference that would have made.

Another scenario. Obi-Wan has been depicted as using Force Speed, even in his padawan days. Why not use Force Speed to catch up with Qui-Gon and defeat Darth Maul?

"Well Force Speed hadn't been invented by George Lucas yet..."

Okay. Fine. I'll give you that one. But does Obi-Wan forget that he has a very powerful weapon in his hand? Earlier in the movie, Qui-Gon used a lightsaber to nearly cut through a blast door designed to withstand huge explosions.

Why didn't Obi-Wan just...slice the barrier generators? In the five minutes that Darth Maul was seething and Qui-Gon was using introspection, Obi-Wan could have been destroying the shield generators to catch up with his master.

Thoughts? Other examples?

Darth Vader had to make a choice and the fastest thing he could think of was to grab Palps and toss him down that shaft. Not only did he stop Palpatine, but he also sacrificed himself for his son. And in doing so he was turned from the Dark Side, bringing balance to the Force.

As for Qui-Gon's death. Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon were sent to negotiate an end to the Trade Federation Blockade. When things went sour theyhad to land on Naboo to protect the Queen by getting her off planet. While it is conceivable that the council would send additional Jedi to help protect the Queen during the battle of Naboo, I believe they wanted to keep a low profile. Having multiple Jedi protecting the Queen would have discouraged Maul. If Maul became discouraged and decided not to get the Queen the Jedi would not have any leads as to who the Sith could be. Maul mainly provided a message to the Jedi. After Qui-Gon and Maul died, the Jedi knew that they had to find the Sith and stop them.

I'm going to go Bounty Hunter on this.

Jango Fett

His pride got him killed. He didn't have to go down there and face Mace Windu. He could have stayed in his balcony with Dooku you know and done his F'ing job and formed a decent plot element in The Clone Wars. But Noooo. He had to go down there and fight Mace Windu....who just happened to, unfortunately for Jango, be portrayed by SAMUEL LEROY "MOFO" JACKSON Registered BAMF. He was screwed the moment he flew down there.

Boba Fett

Off Topic: And before you say he's Alive or Commentary says he's dead and blah Canon blah I don't Care at the Moment. This has nothing to do with that don't bring it up here PLEASE. I'm just talking about his "Last Moments on Screen." Which were pretty stupid in my opinion.

Back on Topic: Basically he could have shot his rocket from his Jetpack at the skiff...Skiff blows up or falls into Sarlacc. Easiest Kill ...ever. He could have also you know sniped the people on the skiff with his EE-3 Carbine WITH scope. Before you say carbines aren't meant for sniping. THEY ARE ON AN OPEN PLATFORM THAT'S RELATIVELY CLOSE TO THE BARGE. Not only that he has a scope on the damn thing. And if he had to fly over there, instead of raising his gun at Luke, he could have done what he did in Robot Chicken Star Wars 3 and fried his *** with his FLAMETHROWER! You know that thing his father used on Mace Windu.

So yea.....He basically went out very lame due to Plot Stupidity, where a character with the means to kill the plot armored characters relatively easily, doesn't do it because of the plot says no.

Edited by CassusVerda

I'm going to go Bounty Hunter on this.

Jango Fett

His pride got him killed. He didn't have to go down there and face Mace Windu. He could have stayed in his balcony with Dooku you know and done his F'ing job and formed a decent plot element in The Clone Wars. But Noooo. He had to go down there and fight Mace Windu....who just happened to, unfortunately for Jango, be portrayed by SAMUEL LEROY "MOFO" JACKSON Registered BAMF. He was screwed the moment he flew down there.

Boba Fett

Off Topic: And before you say he's Alive or Commentary says he's dead and blah Canon blah I don't Care at the Moment. This has nothing to do with that don't bring it up here PLEASE. I'm just talking about his "Last Moments on Screen." Which were pretty stupid in my opinion.

Back on Topic: Basically he could have shot his rocket from his Jetpack at the skiff...Skiff blows up or falls into Sarlacc. Easiest Kill ...ever. He could have also you know sniped the people on the skiff with his EE-3 Carbine WITH scope. Before you say carbines aren't meant for sniping. THEY ARE ON AN OPEN PLATFORM THAT'S RELATIVELY CLOSE TO THE BARGE. Not only that he has a scope on the damn thing. And if he had to fly over there, instead of raising his gun at Luke, he could have done what he did in Robot Chicken Star Wars 3 and fried his *** with his FLAMETHROWER! You know that thing his father used on Mace Windu.

So yea.....He basically went out very lame due to Plot Stupidity, where a character with the means to kill the plot armored characters relatively easily, doesn't do it because of the plot says no.

Well Boba was a poor bounty hunter in the movies, he was nothing but a tracking device in them. Plus the reason why Boba didn't just blow up the skiff, was because there was a large reward for the capture of Luke. So really, Boba was a greedy bastard, ontop of a poor bounty hunter in the movies. Reading the EU of him, then looking at him in the movies they don't really mix well at all.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Well Boba was a poor bounty hunter in the movies, he was nothing but a tracking device in them. Plus the reason why Boba didn't just blow up the skiff, was because there was a large reward for the capture of Luke. So really, Boba was a greedy bastard, ontop of a poor bounty hunter in the movies. Reading the EU of him, then looking at him in the movies they don't really mix well at all.

Good Point. Still could have been avoided by... doing what he was hired to do on the Sail Barge as "Jabba's Bodyguard" (Seriously what's with these guys and leaving their VIP their supposed to be protecting) He most likely would have stopped Leia from doing the Hutt in.

Not only that he could sniped Han and Chewie like I said earlier which would have avoided his fate from the get go, and then went after Luke.

Edited by CassusVerda

Good Point. Still could have been avoided by... doing what he was hired to do on the Sail Barge as "Jabba's Bodyguard" (Seriously what's with these guys and leaving their VIP their supposed to be protecting) He most likely would have stopped Leia from doing the Hutt in.

Not only that he could sniped Han and Chewie like I said earlier which would have avoided his fate from the get go, and then went after Luke.

He still would have been no match for Luke I mean he literally just flew and landed right in front of a jedi like a moron, and its not like he couldn't sense Boba firing at them and deflect back or block his shots. They really need to go back and re-work on Boba cause he doesn't make any sense lol, I mean before ROTJ he fights Vader and does ok.....but then you watch ROTJ and he goes flying right in the face of a jedi, gets cut down and then goes flying right back into a sarlacc.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

In reply to the OP, the Council normally only sent 1 or 2 Jedi for most missions. There are plenty of examples from the EU of this, but also in the movies rarely do we see the Jedi team up with other Jedi except in the case in the battle in the Genosian arenas. Jedi were trained to deal with a myriad of situations and trained to do so by themselves or with their Padawans so I can understand why only 2 were sent.

I have fallen into this trap myself, so I know exactly where everyone is coming from.

Trying to Apply Common Sense to Star Wars is likely to cause migraines, facepalming, and severe WTH??? moments when we realize just how messed up some of the stuff in Star Wars really is.

I have fallen into this trap myself, so I know exactly where everyone is coming from.

Trying to Apply Common Sense to Star Wars is likely to cause migraines, facepalming, and severe WTH??? moments when we realize just how messed up some of the stuff in Star Wars really is.

The only WTH moment I myself see, is Boba fighting Vader in an ok fashion and then suddenly get taken down by a jedi later on and then jettisoned into a sarlacc by a smuggler. Makes no sense, what did he forget who he was fighting or something? Did he have brain damage?

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

The only WTH moment I myself see, is Boba fighting Vader in an ok fashion and then suddenly get taken down by a jedi later on and then jettisoned into a sarlacc by a smuggler. Makes no sense, what did he forget who he was fighting or something? Did he have brain damage?

That was one for me, as well. Also, "Luke, Leia" *croaks* at the end of RotS with Padme dying. Oh, and don't even get me started on every time George's dialogue made me cringe....

Qui-Gon Jinn

My thought on this:

Why, when darth maul comes out of the door the soldiers dont just light him up.

Instead Qui-gon is like "we'll handle this and they just part ways",

It was like twenty people with guns and two jedi, why not just shoot him and move on. Where was the logic?

I think he was drunk personally.

DARTH VADER

The Emperor carried a lightsaber on him ( we know he had one hidden in his robes in RoTS, so logical to assume he still sports one hidden somewhere) and he is still very powerful.

Vader was missing his good fighting hand and was already pretty beat up by Luke at that point.

Even if he had managed to get Luke's lightsaber before the Emperor intervened (remember the Emperor could have just yanked it right back from him mid-air) the Emperor would easily have defeated him in lightsaber combat, if not just turning the lightning on to him instead of Luke.

By grabbing the Emperor, Vader was making physical contact so any of the Force lightning hitting him would be affecting Palpatine as well.

In actuality it was probably the only way to ensure success.

BOBA FETT

I was actually watching RoTJ last night (the dvd version) with the commentary on and Lucas stated that if he had realized Boba Fett was going to turn into the iconic character and fan favorite that he did, he would have done something different with him in that scene.

He even considered adding in a scene for the dvd version showing Fett escaping from the Sarlaac, but in the end decided not to mess with it.

Someone mentioned earlier how much Luke was worth alive as a bounty, but remember that he was watching Jabbe get ready to kill Luke by feeding him to the Sarlaac.

I think he knew that blaster bolts could be deflected, but still he should have used a rocket or one of his darts.

At the very least, flamethrower ftw, as others stated.

DARTH MAUL

Obi-Wan is hanging by a small protrusion from the side of the shaft.

A good dose of Force Lightning would have made him lose his grip.

A saber toss would have cut him in half, again making him lose his grip.

Instead, Maul decides to just pace the edge of the shaft, making sparks.

He still would have been no match for Luke I mean he literally just flew and landed right in front of a jedi like a moron, and its not like he couldn't sense Boba firing at them and deflect back or block his shots. They really need to go back and re-work on Boba cause he doesn't make any sense lol, I mean before ROTJ he fights Vader and does ok.....but then you watch ROTJ and he goes flying right in the face of a jedi, gets cut down and then goes flying right back into a sarlacc.

Dude you never had a bad day?....everyone has them...even the Fett :p

Most stupid dead was Padme's....WTH??? the lady was weak for a natural childbirth and in the fricking future they don't have anesthesics or know Caesarean section?

Also Obi and Yoda are surprised when the robot tells them "she is carrying twins"...WTH they also don't have echographies?

Most stupid dead was Padme's....WTH??? the lady was weak for a natural childbirth and in the fricking future they don't have anesthesics or know Caesarean section?

Also Obi and Yoda are surprised when the robot tells them "she is carrying twins"...WTH they also don't have echographies?

They didn't have time to do **** other then get the twins out, because she was dying and they couldn't figure out what was wrong with her. There have been unexplained deaths in real history too, no matter how big of advancement there is in medical technology some things just can't be explained whatsoever. Plus its fiction, anything can happen...no one questions when superheroes do stuff but somehow when others do things its "OMG thats so unbelievable!"

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

DARTH VADER

The Emperor carried a lightsaber on him ( we know he had one hidden in his robes in RoTS, so logical to assume he still sports one hidden somewhere) and he is still very powerful.

Vader was missing his good fighting hand and was already pretty beat up by Luke at that point.

Even if he had managed to get Luke's lightsaber before the Emperor intervened (remember the Emperor could have just yanked it right back from him mid-air) the Emperor would easily have defeated him in lightsaber combat, if not just turning the lightning on to him instead of Luke.

By grabbing the Emperor, Vader was making physical contact so any of the Force lightning hitting him would be affecting Palpatine as well.

In actuality it was probably the only way to ensure success.

Still. Vader could have just used Force Choke and killed Palpatine that way.

Or Force Pushed him so he fell over the railing...or just knocked him over so Luke could grab his lightsaber.

In reply to the OP, the Council normally only sent 1 or 2 Jedi for most missions. There are plenty of examples from the EU of this, but also in the movies rarely do we see the Jedi team up with other Jedi except in the case in the battle in the Genosian arenas. Jedi were trained to deal with a myriad of situations and trained to do so by themselves or with their Padawans so I can understand why only 2 were sent.

for most but they knew the sith had returned qui gon told them there mortal enemies and they send 2, would have made much more sence to send 5 or 6 but alas we saw how 4 handeled trying to capture palps.

They didn't have time to do **** other then get the twins out, because she was dying and they couldn't figure out what was wrong with her. There have been unexplained deaths in real history too, no matter how big of advancement there is in medical technology some things just can't be explained whatsoever. Plus its fiction, anything can happen...no one questions when superheroes do stuff but somehow when others do things its "OMG thats so unbelievable!"

They didn't have time because George was already way overbudget, running out of film, and they still had to do the Frankenvader scene. :p