Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

5.0 Tanking Numbers

KendraP
02.28.2017 , 10:46 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by VegasTheLost View Post
Oh that. Let me put it this way. Jugg is not a tank for me in 5.0.
Granted I don't do NiM stuff but in HM my guardian tank feels more or less like it did in 4.x. personally my VG feels squishier bit then I'm not nearly as good at playing the class. For me it comes down to player knowledge. Whats the better class? Whatever you're better at playing.

Exocor
02.28.2017 , 12:14 PM | #12
5.x has - compared to 4.x - a different situation in terms of gearing. You got 220-armorings very fast in the past, but currently 236-armorings are much more difficult to get. Not to think about 242s. Guardians and VG's are very dependent on their armor rating, in contrast to shadows, who are more into spike-mitigation. One armoring less at vg's and guardians makes more dtps than an armoring less at a shadow.

Besides that, shadows 60% damage-reduction ability for 2,5 seconds every 15 seconds is as powerful as the stance-bug and the aoe-dr were pre-nerf. You can mitigate spikes, you weren't able to before. I don't care about dtps-numbers, I'm looking for spikes, which would put my healers into trouble.

The developers did right in removing phase-walk and aoe-dr. The gap between shadows and vg's/guardians would have been much bigger, if not.
Infinitas Coryak - Tulak Hord Nox
--
Check our Sale Offers!

KendraP
03.14.2017 , 11:37 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Exocor View Post
5.x has - compared to 4.x - a different situation in terms of gearing. You got 220-armorings very fast in the past, but currently 236-armorings are much more difficult to get. Not to think about 242s. Guardians and VG's are very dependent on their armor rating, in contrast to shadows, who are more into spike-mitigation. One armoring less at vg's and guardians makes more dtps than an armoring less at a shadow.

Besides that, shadows 60% damage-reduction ability for 2,5 seconds every 15 seconds is as powerful as the stance-bug and the aoe-dr were pre-nerf. You can mitigate spikes, you weren't able to before. I don't care about dtps-numbers, I'm looking for spikes, which would put my healers into trouble.

The developers did right in removing phase-walk and aoe-dr. The gap between shadows and vg's/guardians would have been much bigger, if not.
Yeah gearing is more difficult than in 4.x, and yeah I'd say guardians and VGs are more armor dependant (I mean shadows use light armor, so it's not like they're relying on it all that much). That being said, I hardly feel unviable as a guardian tank. Not really going to talk VG since I don't know it as well. Since shadows are arguably the tank class with the highest difficultly to learn, it makes sense that they should be the one with the least damage intake if properly played.

Besides, healing numbers being what they seem to be these days its not like anyone is dying to damage taken. It's spike damage that kills me too. I sacrificed defense rating for endurance a long time ago. Shoot there are people sacrificing defense for power to help with threat generation on all tank classes.

I still say the best tank is the one that meets your playstyle best. Guardians are a cooldown tank, for example. Learning when to use what defensive is an important part of the spec. For example if you're getting punched in the face a lot (melee damage) saber reflect isn't going to be helpful since it's effective against ranged, force, and tech attacks.

Shadows have more micromanaging to do, but still have good DcDs and take the least damage properly played. Vanguards have passive mitigation and the least DcDs. Yes there's a gap. But I'd take a well played VG over a derphead shadow any day.

olagatonjedi
03.30.2017 , 03:11 AM | #14
For starters, the optimal build for all tanks is to maximize endurance with your main gear, mods, enhancements.

Secondly, each class should focus their balance of shield and absorption differently:
Juggs = 50/50 split, or as close as you can
Sins = absorption % around 48-50, the rest in shielding
PT = shielding % around 60-62%, the rest in absorption

These are taken from Bant's spreadsheet, adjusted for max endurance. It is important to note that the DTPS is actually slightly higher for each class using the endurance build, but the time to death is actually better with the endurance builds, adjusted for each DTPS/health ratio.

In truth, though, the difference between mitigation, endurance or hybrid mit/end builds is relatively small and likely unnoticeable in actual gameplay.