How Darth Maul is alive

Aitix

A lot of you have asked: how the hell did Darth Maul survive his duel with Obi-Wan? Well, I've come to clear things up.

Yes, Darth Maul was cut in half and yes, he did fall down the reactor shaft. However, he never got to the bottom. He avoided his landing by going through some air vents, same way Luke did on Bespin.

Here's an excerpt from the new book titled The Wrath of Darth Maul, which goes into detail about how he survived:

No.

And as he fell, the upper half of his body seperated from the lower.

No.

As his remains tumbled down the gnerator shaft, he kept his eyes open and fought to remain conscious. But then his head struck the shaft's wall, and everything went dark.

No!

His mind screamed. Despite everything he had learned about death and duty from his Master, Maul knew he was not yet ready to die. Not after so many years of training, and with so much more to accomplish. Not so long as he still has do much hatred within him.

Obi-Wan ruined me!

He willed himself to see. A moment later, his vision returned. The shaft's walls were a disorienting blur. Across the shaft he sighted his own black-clad legs, scisoring lifelessly at the air as they fell. He struggled to right his torso so he could see downward.

Can't die!

He fell past an oval shadow, and then a similar shadow raced by, along with a whooshing sound.

Air vents.

Maul hoped that there was at least one more vent below, that it would be large enough to accomodate his diminished body. he extended his arms, and his left hand's fingertips suddently burned with friction as they brushed against the cylindrical wall.

Must live!

Hoping, wishing, praying for one more air vent...

Must kill Obi-Wan!

...he reached out with the Force.

And that is how Maul survived. This is all according to The Wrath of Darth Maul novel by Ryder Windham. The novel also details what happens to Maul after that moment. Maul's duel with Obi-Wan has left him scared and not just physically. As you can see from this video

, he has gone insane and according to the book, has suffered from memory loss. Now, at around 2:00, you'll hear Sam Witwer say that the dark side of the Force has not only driven him mad but kept him alive as well, the same way Force users like Darth Simus and Darth Sion survived.

However, he does regain both his sanity and his memory when Savage Opress gives him the amulet Talzin gave him at the end of the Nightsisters trilogy of Season 3. Now some of you may be asking: what about Maul's legs? Well, according to the book, he is on this crude, six-legged apparatus. However, he may not use them forever. Here's another excerpt from The Wrath of Darth Maul :

Because now he knew the identity of the person who had transformed him into a monster. He knew the man was a Jedi named Obi-Wan Kenobi. If Opress and Talzin could help Maul, they might help him find Kenobi. But Maul also knew he was in bad shape, that what he could really use was a new set of legs.

So Maul may not always be on his six-legged apparatus.

Now, I mentioned in this post that Maul "survived" his duel with Obi-Wan. However, I'm not certain if this is the case. Maul may have been alive long enough to avoid his landing using the air vents. But perhaps he had some help. In the Book of Sith, Talzin says that she can rejuvenate the near-dead.

When used in conjunction with crafters chanting incantations, I can channel the ichor to rejuvenate the near-dead by coaxing the injured spirit to emerge from hibernation.

So perhaps Talzin had a hand in making Maul stay alive?

It could be possible. Talzin was certainly interested in Maul during their first encounter in The Wrath of Darth Maul and in Star Wars: Darth Plagueis, Plagueis wonders if Talzin might try to find Maul.

So yes, Darth Maul is alive. Why? Probably because people were bummed out that Darth Maul died in the first place. Before Filoni confirmed that Darth Maul was indeed alive after his duel on Naboo, a lot of people made threads saying that Maul shouldn't have died. It was only a matter of time before LucasFilm picked up on this and decided to bring Maul back. So I guess we got what we asked for in the end.

Personally, I'm actually interested in seeing Maul again. In The Phantom Menace, Maul was mostly a blank slate the same way Boba Fett was a blank slate in The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. He was loyal, serious, and that was it. So the CGI Clone Wars series could certainly delve into Maul more and the same way the EU novels did. And who knows, Maul might even fight Anakin or Dooku. So there is at least some potential to this.

And look at Simus, who survived being decapitated or Darth Sion, who can keep his decomposing body together through the Force. And everyone was sure Darth Sidious was dead after being thrown down the Death Star's core and blown up in the process, but Io and behold, he had clones of himself he could take control of. Let's not forget Maw, who was also cut in half and still survived through the dark side of the Force.

I think Palpatine sums it up best.

"The dark side of the Force is a path to many abilities some consider to be... unnatural."

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what did he do when he was alive? He clearly didn't go back to Palps or Dooku.

And were about to see if this book(Wrath of DM) is canon or not. If the TCW doesn't retconn it(Meaning he gets resurrected and isn't already alive) then this book is proven to not be canon. Since TCW overrules it.

I like the op: concise, organized, direct. You provided evidence and gave an excellent explanation.

Personally, I find Maul's resurrection a positive note in Star Wars. Talzin makes an excellent villain and I have liked the recent EU novels released on topics like this. I think there is a lot of potential with this.

I don't care how Darth Maul is returing- his return is downright stupid. Darth Maul was NEVER EVER EVER EVER (this cannot be stressed enough) EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER supposed to be anything more than an animal- a convinent tool used by Darth Sidious simply to let the Jedi know that the Sith had returned. As if Dave Filoni (director of The Clone Wars) hadn't perverted the Star Wars universe enough (I.E. peaceful Mandalorians, killing Even Piell long before he was supposed to die, giving Skywalker a Padawan, making General Grievous a bumbling idiot, changing Asajj Ventress from a Rattataki to a Dathomiri, resurrecting Eeth Koth who was supposed to have died at the Battle of Geonosis) now they're bringing back a two-bit, fifteen-minutes-of-fame villian from a cruddy movie?? Darth Maul was a two-dimensinal character played by a two-dimensinal actor with less-than-impressive Kendo skills. Just because he has a saberstaff, 98.9 percent of Star Wars fans drooled over him, and are drooling over his return. He was a worthless character- to prove that, Lucas KILLED HIM OFF. There is no reason whatsoever for Filoni to go ripping apart Star Wars lore, there's even less reason to bring Maul back, and there's even less reason for anyone on earth to like it.

And the whole "air-vent" survival is the most contrived garbage I've ever heard. First, the hole at which Darth Maul was slain- for he was slain- was a plasma mining conduit. There would be no air-vents. None.

Secondly, Darth Maul was sliced completely in half. No one- NO ONE- survives something like that, no matter how "powerful in the Force" (Darth Maul wasn't even remotely powerful, either). When he was cut in half, he was dead before even toppling into the abyss. Seriously, a crappy character shows up, spins a double-lightsaber and this is all it takes to make him the hero of children? This is why the other countries are winning.

George Lucas is letting the clone wars series ruin star wars the way it was, this guy is throwing so much retarded **** into the cartoon that it feels more like a whole different type of star wars. Might as well take out the lightsabers and call it something else. Maul coming back is just retarded, they should pull the plug on that series just for it. I know star wars is a sci-fi fantasy but it has its roots, and lets keep it realistic from its roots. This is just ridiculous for star wars. Whats done is done though, Atleast I got KOTOR to go back to and relive a real star wars story! :p

The Clone Wars series gang ***** the Star Wars story over and over and over and over again... I can not believe that there are so many people enjoying such downright stupid, worthless and illogical on so many levels, piece of steaming rotten crap. Edited by Metallistic

I'm going to make a few points here.

1. People have survived WORSE than being bisected like Maul has. In fact, an ancient Sith Lord survived as nothing but a Head, keeping himself alive via the Force until he could be put into a life-support system in a container. Naga Sadow would eventually kill him and blame his death on the Republic to bring the Sith Lords to his cause in invading the Republic.

2. Zabrak biology is somewhat iffy. They have two hearts, so it is possible to survive bisection, especially when the wound is cauterized. Shock would normally kill anyone, but given the Force and his innate strong will, he managed to survive. Moreso because of Story than anything else.

3. Anakin had both legs cut off and his other arm and was being burned by lava and still survived. Lava is over 1100 degrees fehrenheit. He shouldn't have survived being that close, yet he does to become Vader.

Essentially, if the Writers will it, anyone can survive anything. Truthfully, I can see why you wouldn't want to see Maul brought back in TCW. I would rather have had separate episodes made explaining Maul's past rather than his survival. Such as Maul eviscerating the Black Sun organization and killing several Jedi prior to the events of Ep1.

Thing is, everyone else who survived stuff like this (Luke, Anakin, Boba) had someone rescue them for specific reasons. Be it friendship, a vested interest in the future of the dark side, money or influence, etc. Maul has nothing and is nothing. Evil incarnate and just like palp, was left to die.

I'm not saying he can't come back, but it would make more sense to clone him from a body part or something versus this. And as a dark Jedi character, he's never really fully developed, and is only half the man vader was.

There is a comic, that has Maul actually show up on Tatooine sometime after episode III. I can't remember if it Obi Wan that nails him or Owen Lars ending up shooting him.

Lars. Miraculously, from what i read, he survived having is head blown clean off. Came back in a podracing video game :confused:

I don't care how Darth Maul is returing- his return is downright stupid. Darth Maul was NEVER EVER EVER EVER (this cannot be stressed enough) EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER supposed to be anything more than an animal- a convinent tool used by Darth Sidious simply to let the Jedi know that the Sith had returned. As if Dave Filoni (director of The Clone Wars) hadn't perverted the Star Wars universe enough (I.E. peaceful Mandalorians, killing Even Piell long before he was supposed to die, giving Skywalker a Padawan, making General Grievous a bumbling idiot, changing Asajj Ventress from a Rattataki to a Dathomiri, resurrecting Eeth Koth who was supposed to have died at the Battle of Geonosis) now they're bringing back a two-bit, fifteen-minutes-of-fame villian from a cruddy movie?? Darth Maul was a two-dimensinal character played by a two-dimensinal actor with less-than-impressive Kendo skills. Just because he has a saberstaff, 98.9 percent of Star Wars fans drooled over him, and are drooling over his return. He was a worthless character- to prove that, Lucas KILLED HIM OFF. There is no reason whatsoever for Filoni to go ripping apart Star Wars lore, there's even less reason to bring Maul back, and there's even less reason for anyone on earth to like it.
Stand down, this borders the realm of trolling. Maul may have been 2-d in the movie, but it has encouraged many a writer and producer to give him life.....and android legs........

Anakin survived having his limbs cut off and being literally torched alive.

Bobba survived Sarlacc. You know "being digested over a millenium and learning the real meaning of pain". Three times.

Maul being alive after getting cleaved in 2 somehow doesn't surprise me.

Thing is, everyone else who survived stuff like this (Luke, Anakin, Boba) had someone rescue them for specific reasons. Be it friendship, a vested interest in the future of the dark side, money or influence, etc. Maul has nothing and is nothing. Evil incarnate and just like palp, was left to die.

I'm not saying he can't come back, but it would make more sense to clone him from a body part or something versus this. And as a dark Jedi character, he's never really fully developed, and is only half the man vader was.

Heck, Maul's half the man MAUL used to be. Puns aside, however, while his return was nice, I still don't see how he got to Raxus, or whatever trash heap he lived in. Same with the cybernetic spider.....