50 Item Limit on GTN.

pjskull

Your thoughts?

Mine are simple. I hate it.

In my opinion, it basically says point blank that the game, as designed, has no interest in crafting other than as a hobby or just being able to craft a few items for yourself.

A 50 item limit says we don't want you to use the GTN as a money making enterprise. While it's certainly BW's choice, as to their game design, I can say that it's a big turnoff for me as a consumer.

Edited by pjskull

Well thats just not true, I have played MMO that limited the number of items you can place in the auction at one time to 7 and it was limiting but it was in no way detrimental to the games success. Also if not having an unlimited amount of GTN entries make an alt to use as your auction house, it common in MMOs that players have alts that not only serve to only sell things on the auction house but also serve as extra bank. Take what the game gives you and adjust to meet what you need, a 50 GTN limit will in no way cripple this game and I am sure it is not the intent of the developers to persuade players from selling their wares on the the GTN.

Pretty darn hilarious when you think about it. They give you one of the best crafting systems to hit a mmo since SWG, and then drastically limit what you can do with it.

Take my artifice profession for example. Just listing blue quality might hilts for each level will take 2/3 of my allotted auctions, and I haven't even started listed the other hilts or enhancements yet.

It's so sad that it's laughable.

Well thats just not true, I have played MMO that limited the number of items you can place in the auction at one time to 7 and it was limiting but it was in no way detrimental to the games success. Also if not having an unlimited amount of GTN entries make an alt to use as your auction house, it common in MMOs that players have alts that not only serve to only sell things on the auction house but also serve as extra bank. Take what the game gives you and adjust to meet what you need, a 50 GTN limit will in no way cripple this game and I am sure it is not the intent of the developers to persuade players from selling their wares on the the GTN.

One profession could easily fill four alts worth of GTN allocations. I have three professions, and others have more. With the way the orange gear is designed, it makes good sense to list all of the appropriate hilts, crystals, modifications, enhancements, etc for each item level. e.g. might hilt 5-20, guardian hilt 5-20, enhancements 5-20, etc etc. This is completely different than any other mainstream mmo out there.

50 max is extremely limiting when taking that into consideration.

One interesting thought on this is that it might pay to specialize. Instead of trying to provide "one of each", instead provide "quantity of great".

One example, as I'm leveling characters I would like to use the GTN to upgrade mods and such in my gear. I go to the GTN and search for, say, Armoring that's useful and an upgrade for my character. I have 4 or 5 moddable pieces.

I find... two mods that are useful upgrades. I bought them, of course, but I would have bought twice as many had they been available.

Find a niche, own that market, make your profit.

Alternatively, you have 8 character slots per server which equates to 400 GTN postings. Make the most of it.

Pretty darn hilarious when you think about it. They give you one of the best crafting systems to hit a mmo since SWG, and then drastically limit what you can do with it.

Take my artifice profession for example. Just listing blue quality might hilts for each level will take 2/3 of my allotted auctions, and I haven't even started listed the other hilts or enhancements yet.

It's so sad that it's laughable.

Why would someone spend credits on overpriced items which can be bought for a few planetary commendations?

50 is fine imho. It costs nothing to list items (ie, you get 100% of your deposit back if it doesn't sell).

The limit should be changed from 50 different listings to something more like 50 different items. So if i had say 300 of one item I could put that one item up in singles 300 times but would only count as one slot. Imo people shouldnt be forced to put large stacks of items into the GTN just because they have a lot of it. People dont usually want to buy 50 of one item but rather something like 4-10.

The limit should be changed from 50 different listings to something more like 50 different items. So if i had say 300 of one item I could put that one item up in singles 300 times but would only count as one slot. Imo people shouldnt be forced to put large stacks of items into the GTN just because they have a lot of it. People dont usually want to buy 50 of one item but rather something like 4-10.

I don't want to see the GTN flooded with crafting mats in stacks of 1.

The search function already sucks, I'm sure everyone (including myself) doesn't want to sift through 200 pages trying to find something they need.

Why would someone spend credits on overpriced items which can be bought for a few planetary commendations?

50 is fine imho. It costs nothing to list items (ie, you get 100% of your deposit back if it doesn't sell).

That's not correct. While leveling I've noticed that most plantary modifications are around 2-3 item levels behind. e.g. when you are the level for a might armoring 10, your planetary vendors will offer mods 7 and 8.

As for overpriced, that's completely subjective.

The search function already sucks, I'm sure everyone (including myself) doesn't want to sift through 200 pages trying to find something they need.

Agreed but I have seen system where I could put up 100 of one item at whatever unit cost I want. Then people could go and buy 1-100 of those items from my stack. I think something like that would solve in part the limited listings and keep people from throwing up a ton of single item listing that could be stacked.

Yet stacks of one serve market needs. Instead of limiting what people can post, the alternative should be done, that being enhancing the tools people use to search. For example, I use auctionator in wow, and individual listings are far from a concern because I see the auction house in a completely different way. So SWTOR should build to tools to solve this problem rather than "nerfing" what people can do on the AH.

The current system is nice, as you aren't dissuaded from listing ANYTHING because you get 100% of your deposit back if it doesn't sell. In WOW, if it doesn't sell, you lose your deposit. Which can add up to lots of money if it doesn't sell.

If you have issues with the 50 items, simply make an alt, level them up if you wish (I did all mine to 10) and park them outside the GTN. (instead of it being a bank alt, its a GTN alt)

I mail everything to sell to them, that way, I can stay out in the field longer and not make as many trips around.

because the commendation vendor choices are extremely limited .. they don't offer everything you always want or need..

I play a sith assassin and I have yet to find anything useful, equal or even better than what I can craft for my character

I do agree that 50 items is fine .. if those 50 items don't sell in 24 to 48 hours .. then having the item limit raised will make no difference anyway .. as items sell put more ...

Having a limit means less clutter on the market and less trash items that no one wants .. I even see white quality items being listed with no stats .. WHY do people put that crap on there?

Having a limit means less clutter on the market and less trash items that no one wants .. I even see white quality items being listed with no stats .. WHY do people put that crap on there?

haha! so true!!!!

I would say to create alts for selling all your mods, i don't really sell my cybertech mods, I just put up all my green.blue,purple drops up on the GTN for full price (1/2 price if the item is green).

I know almost all the level 49-50 purple stuff, I may see if that sells. It stinks because you can get better with commendations.

I have several issues with the GTN including not being able to search by name for what you want right away. My other big gripe is that you can't buy part of a stack of an item. If someone has a stack of 99 and I only want 15 why can't I buy 15 from that stack. I know you can do it in other MMO's (not WoW, though maybe it does) and would make it a lot more user friendly, to me at least.

If there is a way to this please let me know

Thanks

Don't forget that if your item doesn't sell, you get your full deposit back. If the cap wasn't in place, everything and anything would be up on the GTN and it would be a complete mess.

Compare this with WoW which has no cap, but you lose your deposit if the item doesnt' sell.

I like this system better, since deposit is a percentage of the sale price.

50 seems like quite a big number, perhaps you are simply building up to much surplus before you are stuffing stuff up for auction on the GTN?

It may be removed latter once the GTN gets updated but for now I honestly don't see the issue.

I find your response interesting, since it starts with "that's just not true". I clearly stated that my post was my opinion and solicited other opinions. Don't know how that can be untrue. It's my subjective opinion.

As I stated in my post, it is certainly BW's choice as to their game design. I think 50 items is very limiting and arbitrary and I can't stand it. I am on a heavy server and I can't go in and find Green gear of all types for my companion. I feel that a heavy server should be awash in items. (I think that's due to the 50 item limit.) The Level filter is one of the few pieces on the GTN that *does* work, so finding gear if it was there would not be hard.

Just selling crafted Green and Blue weapon mods across a spectrum of levels takes up 2/3 of my allotment. <-- Silly.

Thanks much for the MMO advice, but I think using a mule is an unnecessary step, from a design standpoint. Why should you have to jump through hoops to sell more than 50 items? I have played very few games, if any, that have such a low cap on AH sales as SWTOR. 7? What were you playing? Zork?

As to those that say it's hard enough to find items in a lousy GTN UI without stacks of one, I hear you, but you have to put the Horse in front of the Cart.

--> Without a lousy GTN interface, there is no problem.

I don't think this issue is game breaking, just an aspect of a game I enjoy that I find very irritating and stupid.

I never understand the drastic polarity on these forums. When you post something critical, people jump at you and say "this is great, no big deal, it's fine." When you post something positive, critics go at you for being a fanboy.

How does a higher item sell limit adversely affect you, assuming BW follows through on their Dev stated intention to improve GTN UI? And if it does not adversely affect you, why do you care?