Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[Guide] Operative / Scoundrel Healing

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Scoundrel / Operative
[Guide] Operative / Scoundrel Healing

Orderken
03.30.2015 , 02:48 PM | #11
The answer is in Section Gear:
Quote:
The SOR 6-Piece reduces the cooldown of Kolto Waves from 10 seconds to 9 seconds. This Set Bonus is almost always worthless, because itís unlikely to increase the number of times that you activate Kolto Waves.
Therefore, no calculations are necessary.

Glancing at your calculations, however, I noticed three issues.

1. Your friend's figures are inaccurate. Recuperative Nanotech heals a single ally for much more relative to Kolto Waves. To ensure that you compare apples to apples in the future, I suggest the following test conditions.
    1. Heal a companion or NPC. A player might have a healing received buff, but a companion or NPC won't.
    2. Unequip any proc Relics.
    3. Ensure that Tactical Medicine is never active (or is always active).

2. The denominator in your calculation of Recuperative Nanotech's HPS, and the numerator in your calculation of Recuperative Nanotech's uptime, must be reduced by Alacrity. Alternatively, you could assume 0 Alacrity across the board, since its effects on both abilities will wash out for your comparison.

3. Using the amount of non-crit heals is a good starting point. Note, however, that Kolto Waves' Critical Chance is 10% greater than Recuperative Nanotech's.
Orderken, <Hates You>, Prophecy of the Five

Guides and Model for Healing
Sorcerer / Sage / Mercenary / Commando / Operative / Scoundrel

Jethsidi
03.30.2015 , 03:36 PM | #12
Oh, that was all from reading it off the ability pane, not actually cast.
Alacrity was factored, hence the 2.77 channel time and such.

Will have them actually heal something (probably one of the droids walking around fleet), and look at it again.

And in a content tier that [everyone is saying] favors ranged, with potentially 6 people stacked for most of the fight, why wouldn't you be using Waves that much?
Don't ever learn how to tank. They won't let you do anything else once they know you are good at it.

Tanking Revan - backpedaling too OP.

60 Juggernaut - Sevrahn, Olmez, Juggernaut
60 Assassin - Aria, Jethsidi, Ubassubassubin
60 Powertech - Succendo, Paragon, Pubowubertubech

Orderken
03.30.2015 , 05:42 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Jethsidi View Post
in a content tier that [everyone is saying] favors ranged, with potentially 6 people stacked for most of the fight, why wouldn't you be using Waves that much?
You've been misinformed. For 8-man, having 6 or more players stack isn't common in fights, or phases of fights, that are challenging to heal.

Furthermore, even when your Operation Group does stack, you'll rarely use Kolto Waves on cooldown. Unless you were to use it on cooldown very often, reducing its cooldown by up to 1 second has little to no value. Healing isn't about maximizing HPS.

Jethsidi
03.30.2015 , 05:47 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Orderken View Post
You've been misinformed. For 8-man, having 6 or more players stack isn't common in fights, or phases of fights, that are challenging to heal.

Furthermore, even when your Operation Group does stack, you'll rarely use Kolto Waves on cooldown. Unless you were to use it on cooldown very often, reducing its cooldown by up to 1 second has little to no value. Healing isn't about maximizing HPS.
So, we shouldn't be stacking for heals on Bulo (after each fire barrel), Torque, Coratanni, Malaphar, Walkers, Underluker, Commanders, or Revan?

6.5/10 seems pretty common.

As I said, this is not my area of expertise, just asking questions to try and get the whole picture so that I know what I am looking at/for.
Don't ever learn how to tank. They won't let you do anything else once they know you are good at it.

Orderken
03.30.2015 , 07:52 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Jethsidi View Post
So, we shouldn't be stacking for heals on Bulo (after each fire barrel), Torque, Coratanni, Malaphar, Walkers, Underluker, Commanders, or Revan?

6.5/10 seems pretty common
Before I give my count, I'll refine the question. Am I using Kolto Waves on cooldown on a regular basis? Would I use Kolto Waves more times if it had a shorter cooldown?

My count is 0/6, possibly 0.5/6 depending on your strategy for Coratanni and Pearl.

Sparky, Torque, Malaphar, and Underlurker are easy to heal once a Group understands and respects their mechanics. I therefore disregard them for purposes of optimizing gear. This leaves 6 fights to consider.

For Bulo, no, you shouldn't be in a tight stack. Spreading just a little ensures that only one player takes damage from each Barrel Throw (or from each exploding Lifter or Cart). Commanders is the same: a tight stack is more often the problem than the solution.

For Walkers, Kolto Waves is used fewer times than you'd expect. You might be able to catch enough players once (at most twice) between consecutive Gravity Missiles. You won't use it on cooldown on a regular basis.

There's stacking for Revan, but that's not to ease healing (except during the Machine Core). The first floor is about managing cleanses and Blades during Revan, and about healing tanks during HK-47. The second and third floors are easy to heal, and I therefore disregard them for purposes of optimizing gear. (I expect that the SOR 6-Piece would be better for the Machine Core, but several Operative healers have solo healed the Machine Core without the SOR 6-Piece.)

For healers, the challenge of Blaster is spike damage to a single ally. You won't use Kolto Waves on cooldown on a regular basis.

The SOR 6-Piece might be better for Coratanni and Pearl, but the amount of movement means that you're unlikely to use Kolto Waves on cooldown on a regular basis. Ruugar, the more challenging phase of this fight for healers, is about spike damage to a single ally. Since Ruugar's high-damage room-wide knockback is infrequent, shaving up to 1 second off of Kolto Waves' cooldown won't help you recover.

Jethsidi
03.30.2015 , 08:42 PM | #16
Thank you, that gives a lot of, perspective.

Orderken
04.13.2015 , 12:47 PM | #17
Section "Utilities" clarified for HM Revan.

Johnnortiz
06.24.2015 , 12:56 PM | #18
What is a good percentage to have your crit at for Ops Healing?

kjchan
07.22.2015 , 02:28 PM | #19
Hi Orderken, penny for your thoughts on 3.3 with regards to operative healing?

Just looking down the list Im tentatively hopeful that the net is an increase in our HPS potential.

1) KP looks HP neutral, it got nerfed in the base ability, but it looks like there's a counterbalancing buff in the medicine tree. My KP numbers looked the same from what I remember when I tested it this morning.

2) K.Inf looks like its viable to use more often (before, I would only apply if tank target health was 50% or above, now I'll probably throw it more often knowing it has more heals up front). Given that you said in your guide that K.Inf = a Crit K.Inj, AND that K.Inf has a faster channel time...doesn't a more frequent application of K.Inf and getting more GCDs mean a HPS increase?

3) K.Inj got buffed which is nice.

4) That 2% HP increase when a TA is used should pretty much be on ALL the time right? Given that surgical probe use is so frequent?

5) RN on cooldown makes up for the RN decrease, right?

So by my count that looks like 1 HPS neutral change, 4 HPS increases, and 1 HPS decrease on the diagnostic scan, so 3.3 should theoretically be a positive right? Just curious what your healing model predicts.

Larsenex
07.08.2016 , 12:14 PM | #20
Just an inquiry, is this guide still relevant?

Are Power augments better than Alacrity? When I left 6 months ago Alacrity for Operatives was all the rage.

Just returning and want to optimize as best as possible.
Corbindallas Agent of the Empire
VERMIN (spreading filth and disease in the Galaxy for ages!)

"Go for the Eyes Boo!"