What is the point of slicing if it loses money?

ffsnonamesleft

I don't understand how they've made the crew skill Slicing to actually LOSE you money when you run the missions for the lockboxes.

What is the point of this crew skill then???

It doesn't always lose you money or gain you money. If it only ever gave you a profit there would be an infinite source of credits in the game from nowhere.

The same one where someone buys a lottery ticket for $1 and expects to receive several hundred million. You can't win if you don't play.

But if you buy a scratcher with a top prize of a couple grand, no point being upset you didn't get several hundred million dollars either.

um, there are infinite mobs and heroics, flashpoints etc. what's your point?

You have to play the game to get stuff from them. If you could generate infinite money from slicing with no chance of loss, there would be no reason to take any other profession.

As others have said, if you want guaranteed profit, only do rich missions or rely on actually finding nodes ratherthan spamming low yield missions.

Slicing has been nerfed a couple of times throughout the years, and it wasn't originally the crappy returns that it is today. You do have to spend a lot of time being careful and tracking your progression to truly see any sort of overall profit from slicing. The only redeeming quality of this trade skill is the ability slice open world nodes.

Slicing has been nerfed a couple of times throughout the years, and it wasn't originally the crappy returns that it is today. You do have to spend a lot of time being careful and tracking your progression to truly see any sort of overall profit from slicing. The only redeeming quality of this trade skill is the ability slice open world nodes.

I wondered as much. I didn't remember slicing to be so crap at launch.

If you dont want to lose money -only- run the Rich/Bountiful Yield lockbox missions...

In what universe does "Moderate Yield" make you think "Show me the money!!!!!11111!!!!!" :p

Face To The Palm...

Moderate Slicing missions have the best return % (and are [almost] never) losses. They are just *really* small gains. Abundant is about the same payout (missions cost more but return a bit more). The Bountiful/Rich missions have highly variable returns, and are almost always losses...unless you factor in the crits, which make them net profitable.

The only way to lose (long term) running slicing missions is running [most] Parts missions. The Lockbox missions are bank.

..actually since 4.0 the biggest return-to-cost ratio I have seen comes from the moderate and abundant rank 1 and 2 lock box missions.

Obviously the actual amounts are small; only a hundred or two creds at a time, but those are never losses in my experience.

The rank 5 and above lock boxes seem to have taken the biggest hit.

It doesn't always lose you money or gain you money. If it only ever gave you a profit there would be an infinite source of credits in the game from nowhere.

Wasn't that the case during early 1.0 though? IIRC the profit was barely 300 credits per mission but it was there and abused plenty until they nerfed the crap outta it

Reminds me of my BioChem which was awesome (hello 10K Smash crits in PvP with my Battlemaster gear + reusable adrenals and stimpacks :cool: ) until they nerfed them into not useable in PvP at all and / or converting reusable into one time use :mad:

I don't understand how they've made the crew skill Slicing to actually LOSE you money when you run the missions for the lockboxes.

What is the point of this crew skill then???

Well, the old saying says, "To make money, you must spend money." Mission lock boxes are for leveling when you're not farming credit boxes. However, when you do get to level 500 and can farm those nodes you can make a heck of haul in credits. And slicing does get you the slice tech parts that you can sell when you have a full stack or get a number of rare tech parts to sell.

I've never lost money on slicing. You make a tiny profit from the missions over time and you get to sell the missions for profit. Then you get free money just lying around the game. What's not to like?

No, you lose money on max level if you go for lockboxes, which is absolutely mindbogglingly stupid. The whole "It's to level the profession!!!oneoneelven" doesn't hold up for a profession that is about gathering and can be easily leveled through open world nodes, which are completely absent from any KOTFE content tho.

The other stuff is basically gambling, which really isn't what a profession should be. Even the whole "infinite stuff111Oneelven" doesn't hold up, as everything else also delivers infinite stuff and you're playing the game just as much as someone who randomly kills some mobs. To even get that far you first leveled the profession, got the influence with your companions up to guarantee shorter times and higher criticals etc.

The worst part is, YOU CAN MAKE A PROFIT, if you just spam level 1 lockboxes, those do turn a 100-200% profit of your initial investment. It's just so small you need to send a lot and constantly. High end meanwhile will bring you in losses for lockboxes and might end with losses for materials also unless you get lucky.

Slicing USED to (before 4.0) print money for me (I would run only rich missions highest to low, 6 of course only had abundant). The criticals which returned crafting missions were icing on the cake. Now, I lose money on slicing missions (NET) but if I get criticals and GTN the missions I can sorta make money. So SAD.

No, you lose money on max level if you go for lockboxes, which is absolutely mindbogglingly stupid. The whole "It's to level the profession!!!oneoneelven" doesn't hold up for a profession that is about gathering and can be easily leveled through open world nodes, which are completely absent from any KOTFE content tho.

The other stuff is basically gambling, which really isn't what a profession should be. Even the whole "infinite stuff111Oneelven" doesn't hold up, as everything else also delivers infinite stuff and you're playing the game just as much as someone who randomly kills some mobs. To even get that far you first leveled the profession, got the influence with your companions up to guarantee shorter times and higher criticals etc.

The worst part is, YOU CAN MAKE A PROFIT, if you just spam level 1 lockboxes, those do turn a 100-200% profit of your initial investment. It's just so small you need to send a lot and constantly. High end meanwhile will bring you in losses for lockboxes and might end with losses for materials also unless you get lucky.

Aren't the missions for all gathering professions gambling then?

Slicing USED to (before 4.0) print money for me (I would run only rich missions highest to low, 6 of course only had abundant). The criticals which returned crafting missions were icing on the cake. Now, I lose money on slicing missions (NET) but if I get criticals and GTN the missions I can sorta make money. So SAD.

Thank you for demonstrating so clearly why it had to be nerfed.

No, but what it does mean is all the professions are watered down crafting-drivers. Problem is they've gimped crafting to such a degree at this point that it's not predictably lucrative to perform small volume actions. All the big money is made in bulk sales (augments being the quintessential example).

You don't make money selling 1-5 pieces of armor (considering all the armor is now generically adaptive so that entire f'n market only sells on cosmetic appeal alone now). You don't make money on high end consumables as augments are permanent one-time investments and PVP/Biochem have the only on-going consumables (stims, medpacks and grenades).

See the problem with watering down the whole game isn't that there's nothing to do; it's that there's only 2-3 things to do (such as those I've named above). You can make money by doing those things repeatedly over long periods of time...but it's not fast and it's mind-numbingly boring. It also sucks because a million+ players are all doing the same damned 2-3 things, so the market is saturated and then it turns into a game of who can afford to undercut most.

I made 22Mil off augments when 4.0 came out, but it was PAINFUL... BW decided that all the token-60 noobs needed the ability to instantly make augments without leveling crew skills or spending money on schematics, so suddenly the market doubled with people selling the same thing.

BW's track record on crafting thus far is crap. They've annihilated Artifice going on four times now and all the good cosmetic armors they only release on Cartel Market (god forbid they code new pretty armors and give the schematics to end-game crafters to profit from). And THAT is the state of the game; anything good goes on Market, anything left gets watered into oblivion. You can make a few credits here and there, but the days of swimming through Uncle Scrooge's money bin are dead.

...Oh, and BW is promising to "fix" things in January. If they fix crafting any more, we'll all be using desh as the only material in the entire game.

BW's track record on crafting thus far is crap. They've annihilated Artifice going on four times now and all the good cosmetic armors they only release on Cartel Market (god forbid they code new pretty armors and give the schematics to end-game crafters to profit from). And THAT is the state of the game; anything good goes on Market, anything left gets watered into oblivion. You can make a few credits here and there, but the days of swimming through Uncle Scrooge's money bin are dead.

Artifice? What does Artifice have to do with cosmetic armours? Artifice makes hilts, relics,etc. Not armours.

Now, I remember when the game was first out a million credits was a ton of money back then. Right now everything of some rarity costs at least 1 million and people can make a million quite easily.

I am not sure if you get the concept of inflation but the problem with slicing has always been that it's something that brings credits into the game directly and that is in essence bad for the economy if that's too easy. Farming slicing nodes on Yavin...well, nice as it may seem, I never understood that move.

I do agree though that crafting has always been a bit of a mess though. I'm not disagreeing with you on that but slicing has always been the odd one out and the game would've been better off without it.