World Bosses and server firsts

So my guild took out Grandfather and The First today in the hopes of achieving server firsts, however, the game offers no way of knowing if that was achieved or not. Most games have a server announcement or an achievement for getting server first, but this one has neither. Even without those things we still thought we had server first because world bosses traditionally take at least a couple of days to respawn. However, a mere two hours later I returned only to find that grandfather was alive and kicking, leaving us with no idea if we were server first or not.

It's possible his respawn was a bug, and if so, consider this a bug report. However, I still feel SWTOR would be benefited by both a server-wide announcement and an achievement for killing the world boss first.

I know all of this sounds very negative (and I suppose it is) but let me add here that this is a minor flaw in a great game that I have been enjoying greatly thus far, and expect to enjoy greatly far into the future.

1) There is no notification

2) It was already done in beta

3) The lower level ones were done day 1 of pre-play, and afaik everything up to level 40 has already been cleared on almost every server

4) Who cares whose 'first' - accomplishment should be for YOU and YOUR friends; I gurantee you that 98% of the rest of the population doesn't care what your 'personal achievement' is.

@Loyaltrekie

1) Yeah. That's what I said. Read better.

2) What does this matter?

3) Based on what evidence? If you could know this then you and wouldn't be having this discussion

4) Being first to do something is an accomplishment in and of itself. Like I said to Evilthug, it's not a pride or bragging issue - it's just for the fun of competition. But if we can't know then there's no competition. And besides, even if only 2% care, as you said, that's still no reason not to have this implemented. It doesn't hurt the 98%, so no one loses.

Edited by Artthen
removed quote of rude post

There's no reason to have "server firsts" other than flaunting your epeen. You can argue it however you want, but it's the truth. Two years from now, no one will give a crap about who killed what first, but I will guarantee you that you will be eager as hell to say "Yeah, me and my friends were the first to kill this" as if it actually mattered to the person you were talking to, and no doubt with the idea that it somehow gives you some sort of massive nerd-cred and the illusion of superiority. Edited by Jisu

Sadly, even mentioning server firsts brings out the people who think that being competitive in any shape or form is a bad thing. Some people enjoy being the first to do something on a game as the content comes straight from the oven and beta kills don't count, which I can't see why people think doing it in beta was a big deal. The servers were not the same despite similar names, everything was wiped, and stats/talents worked differently so saying it was done first in beta shows that you are incompetent. I will bring out my own responses on the matter though.

My guild got the server first on SD-0 on Corellian Run on the 3rd day (The 5 people who space-barred everything were around 25 at the time on the server and no one was above 20 aside from them). I was on most of the time and so were my guildmates all hours of the day and they didn't see anybody talking about fighting him, other than the fail groups of level 14s.

I can't say at this point how the other world bosses are faring on my own server but they have more than likely fallen so you may not have a server first. Generally content like that is downed within days of it coming out when everyone gets to the level for it.

There's no reason to have "server firsts" other than flaunting your epeen. You can argue it however you want, but it's the truth. Two years from now, no one will give a crap about who killed what first, but I will guarantee you that you will be eager as hell to say "Yeah, me and my friends were the first to kill this" as if it actually mattered to the person you were talking to, and no doubt with the idea that it somehow gives you some sort of massive nerd-cred and the illusion of superiority.

Believe it or not, having a server first, especially on raid content is a huge deal for raiding guilds, though I bet you have ever been a part of a decent one. Being able to show a server first on your guild's "banner" means that your guild gets a lot more attention and it shows the community that you are part of a really really good guild.

Edited by Unaki

Believe it or not, having a server first, especially on raid content is a huge deal for raiding guilds, though I bet you have ever been a part of a decent one. Being able to show a server first on your guild's "banner" means that your guild gets a lot more attention and it shows the community that you are part of a really really good guild.

Nightmare raiding server firsts are one thing. A non max level 'world boss' is just an elite mob and hardly warrants the level of recognition this guy is claiming he deserves.

really no one cares for server firsts really

reason for this: it is no achievement at all! there are way to many points to influence who gets it first

- time of EGA

- Guild or random Raid

- spawn rate of the boss

- server type

- and many more i dont come up with :p

and most important: its just a virtual game, if u want to achieve something people care for do it in this Galaxy :rolleyes:

oh and btw no offense here, i`m fine with your way to play just hab to throw my 2 cents in

Deevelopers were really clear that they were not going to have achievement type of rewards for server first, as the game is not meant to create a competition environment present in other games. They mentioned that given this game is centered on story, which means taking your time to achieve things, providing a server first type of thing would be counterproductive to the game.

Sorry, I guess if you are in a game where server firsts are important, this game might actually be dissappointing in the long run.

So my guild took out Grandfather and The First today in the hopes of achieving server firsts, however, the game offers no way of knowing if that was achieved or not. Most games have a server announcement or an achievement for getting server first, but this one has neither. Even without those things we still thought we had server first because world bosses traditionally take at least a couple of days to respawn. However, a mere two hours later I returned only to find that grandfather was alive and kicking, leaving us with no idea if we were server first or not.

It's possible his respawn was a bug, and if so, consider this a bug report. However, I still feel SWTOR would be benefited by both a server-wide announcement and an achievement for killing the world boss first.

I know all of this sounds very negative (and I suppose it is) but let me add here that this is a minor flaw in a great game that I have been enjoying greatly thus far, and expect to enjoy greatly far into the future.

This was done as soon as the boss was up and there was 8 people to kill it, unless you did it on the first or second day of EGA or a fresh server then your very likely not first. The world bosses spawn again after 90 minutes or so and every time a fresh instance opens up the world boss is up on there too.

It is also not much of an accomplishment truth be told to kill a world boss because its basically a heroic quest for 8+ people of the beasts level. Your placing a level of importance and difficulty on them that is undeserved.

Most people would get annoyed if they kept getting server announcments about kills on world bosses too. Why would anyone want to see spam messages saying "Randomguild6 has killed DerpyWorldBoss4" all day long? Most people don't care about what your doing, and the ones that do know where to find you.

@Loyaltrekie

3) Based on what evidence? If you could know this then you and wouldn't be having this discussion

4) Being first to do something is an accomplishment in and of itself. Like I said to Evilthug, it's not a pride or bragging issue - it's just for the fun of competition. But if we can't know then there's no competition. And besides, even if only 2% care, as you said, that's still no reason not to have this implemented. It doesn't hurt the 98%, so no one loses.

#3: I was there when it happened on both sides on my server. All of the stuff up to ~30 was cleared within a couple days of prerelease

@Loyaltrekie

4) Being first to do something is an accomplishment in and of itself. Like I said to Evilthug, it's not a pride or bragging issue .

it is a bragging issue, so ****. OOOOOO AHHHHHH you can hit keys on the keyboard, thats just awsome, you should try out for the olympics.

the ONLY reason is bragging, not competition. if it was for competition the guilds internally would be updated on the other competiting guilds status. not forcing the whole server to compete. and you wouldnt have given a rats a** about server achevement.

it is a bragging issue, so ****. OOOOOO AHHHHHH you can hit keys on the keyboard, thats just awsome, you should try out for the olympics.

the ONLY reason is bragging, not competition. if it was for competition the guilds internally would be updated on the other competiting guilds status. not forcing the whole server to compete. and you wouldnt have given a rats a** about server achevement.

I know Im not going to change your mind with this post but when the hell are you going to accept that raid guilds and individuals like this competition?

I know Im not going to change your mind with this post but when the hell are you going to accept that raid guilds and individuals like this competition?

i know they like the competition, and its up to them if they do.

but keep it internal. the NFL doesnt require every human to play or watch the game. everybody in a country isnt required to be part of the olympics.

i have no problem if people want to compete, if they want to feel special cause they can move a mouse and tap keys faster then somebody else so be it.

i got a problem when people's start gloating over soembody else, which is the sole reason for a server broadcast of Server/World/Class firsts.

i know they like the competition, and its up to them if they do.

but keep it internal. the NFL doesnt require every human to play or watch the game. everybody in a country isnt required to be part of the olympics.

i have no problem if people want to compete, if they want to feel special cause they can move a mouse and tap keys faster then somebody else so be it.

i got a problem when people's start gloating over soembody else, which is the sole reason for a server broadcast of Server/World/Class firsts.

Your argument/stance does not warrant any logic. You would post stuff that you cared about. People post their art creation, their stories, their fan fiction, their guild advertisements, their guild videos, their guides, etc! All of this is in the same category as posting that you as a guild were the first to defeat a boss. Gloating is not stating factual information. Let me give you an example since some of you guys can't decipher such an easy concept.

First let me crush some of your illogical statements. You say to keep it internal, yet you use the NFL as an example!!!! You literally lost me here in laughter. The NFL is displayed on television. It has crowds of people. What you are telling this OP to do is not even post and keep in inside his guild. No, IT IS YOUR CHOICE TO COME ONTO HIS THREAD. There is no message popping up saying "To continue, you must read this thread". You are choosing to come into this. He is not forcing it upon you.

Now for some definition lessons:

Gloating

Definition: Contemplate or dwell on one's own success or another's misfortune with malignant pleasure: "his enemies gloated over his death".

Example: "We were the first to kill SD-0!!!!! We are the best. We beat the rest of all of you. You must not be that good.

KEY PART: In the defintion it says "dwell". In order for it to be gloating, they would continually need to rub this in.

Achievement

Definition: A thing done successfully, typically by effort, courage, or skill.

Example: Our guild defeated at SD-0 around 12:20 EST on the first day of early access. It was a fun achievement, and we are proud of it, and we have a right to state that on the forums, which has people posting what they are proud of (their art, stories, roleplaying) on it as well.

Now, never do I say gloating is always a bad thing, you could often say that anyone who knows they are better at someone at anything and talking about it could be gloating. However, you are just biased in this matter and are in fact trolling/flaming other people's threads.

THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO CARE ABOUT THIS.

You are 100 percent wrong if you say otherwise, because the OP himself obviously cares, so that alone ruins your statement. I will say this, with all of the hype and high-end guilds, there are MANY that care about such things. There is absolutely nothing wrong with stating it.

I will tell you what you can do. Not waste your time flaming others about stuff they care about. You may do this for numerous reasons, but the fact of the matter is, you are in the wrong.

As for does this count? Of course it does! There are 3 hour queues on servers already and you act like they had an unfair start? I'm sorry, but the official game was available as of 12/13/11.

Everything isn't being removed. This the real deal. I don't see how you can argue against this, unless you are of the belief that everything should be wiped on the 20th. If that is the case, argue that!

--------------

The way you talk is a form of gloating in itself. You are saying that your way is better than his. How about we all respect each other and HONOR their achievement.

Perhaps, in return, you might deserve honoring of what you are proud to accomplish.

So to end this, congratulations on defeating these bosses (it may not have been the first as guilds did a lot on the first day of EA, but good job) and continue to be proud (not cocky) of things that you wish to accomplish.

TLDR version: Do not flame or troll someone else, when it was your choice to come onto "his" thread, and congratulations on your boss kills.

Edited by SithlordXanatos

@Loyaltrekie

It's absolutely a pride and bragging issue. Otherwise you wouldn't need a server announcement and would be happy with the fact that you downed a world boss.

Edited by Jxspyder

I don't have time to respond to everyone, and even if I did, SithlordXanatos has pretty much covered the bases (thanks dude, couldn't have said it better myself), but let me say this as there seems to be some confusion over my OP, which is definitely my fault for bad wording. First of all, I never said that server announcements are the best way to go. I prefer achievements personally. I was merely using it as an example, because to me, having a server announcement is better than not knowing. That being said, I prefer solely achievements.

Secondly, I grant you that many people killed these bosses early on, and that doing so is not really much of an achievement as they weren't very tough, however, my worry lies in the possibility that operations won't tell you if you got server first. And that, to me, is going to diminish the excitement of doing these things.

Also, let me add that the only reason we thought we might have been server first is because we're on one of the smaller servers. Not many guild are even big enough to do a sixteen man operation, and those that are are very few. Again, I recognize that downing these bosses is not so impressive, so let's get off that and discuss the points that matter.

Server first boss kills are one thing, and that one thing is at end game. The majority of the community really doesn't give two credits about a server first low level world spawn.

I've been on the hardcore raiding side of things and I can honestly appreciate the desire to get a server first kill, but come on, we all know that all of these guilds/people claiming server firsts on this low level content are simply starved for attention or wanting to have their epeen stroked a little. Mask the desire for recognition however you want; say its just something you think would be cool or fun, but it still comes down to the desire for attention or wanting to be recognized for something (anything) in this online world. People who want recognition for their server first "Hogger" kills are no better than the zerg guilds who really think their 90+ members somehow makes them the best guild on the server and proudly emphasize their large player base as a bonus in their constant recruitment messages.

Edited by jasohans

World firsts in a video game. :rolleyes:

LAWL

I'm still waiting for world first for the following:

Cure for the common cold

Cure for cancer

Cure for AIDS

etc

:D

My guild had a nice jaunt to the Dromund Kaas World Boss last week. We could have been 1st, or 321st, but it was a great time and worthy of bragging rights even if it was done hundreds of times before us. :)

It just about accomplishment together. Michelangelo was not a fast painter.

Im with the OP when he says that achievements would be cool. When people want to know about your skills and and experience (Raiding, Groups, etc) you can link them what you have done. This is not for gloating purposes or for any other reason other than information gathering. I am also with the dev's though when they decided to not post server wide messages and server first achievements and what not, because then you will just be skipping every conversation and storyline just to get to end game as fast as possible to get some server firsts. Assuming you have played the content already is fine, but if you have not then it is defeating the purpose of enjoying the game. I believe that WoW definitely ruined a lot of the sense of community that MMO's used to offer. Instead of getting to know each other as a server community, it has now been turned into what we have in the real world. i.e. everyone secluding themselves in their homes (guilds) and not going outside to meet new people or enjoy the company of others. It's all just become one big rat race that I came to MMO's to escape in the first place. Anyway, im rambling, enjoy your time with Star Wars or whatever MMO you decide to go with. Safe Travels.