people in this game

vanhazard

I would like to take a few moments to talk about my experiences in this game and the type of people that i have had the absolute utmost displeasure of ever having any interaction .

You people are horrible. I have never witnessed such a consistent brand of lewd, selfish, entitled,classless degenerates all in one place like this before. The "jokes", character names, openly racist comments and behavior, cowardly verbal attacks on each other, and mob mentality are ridiculous. Getting shamed in general chat for not being good enough is always fun, but for God's sake, don't try to defend someone who is being attacked unless you want half the server attacking you as well.

I saw 2 players cheating in hutt ball. I told them I saw it. They defended having done it. and of course bio-ware does nothing. (yes i sent a ticket)

Today, on my way towards an objective, i saw another player fighting ... Scarjaw?... on Ossus. I threw a couple of attacks in to help as i was running by. The other player left the fight and raced me to my objective, stole it from me, then started sending me Private messages about "That's what you get!" "you're so mad right know, are you yelling at your screen?" and calling me names. It might be okay if this was an isolated incident, but this happens multiple times a day on various characters. I am to the point that I am on the offensive with certain players or group[s of players as soon as I log in. you idiots have me stooping to your level just to play the game.

Who do you think you are to talk to people that way? Do you realize that being "good" at a fantasy video game may not be a "good" thing? Do you realize that I pay $15 / month to play this GAME too? I'm 6'4", 260 lbs, with a background in military, oilfield and construction. Do you think that any of you would have the courage to speak to me or treat my like that face to face? I know I would never treat someone like that...And then, I realize that my frustration has born out in me behavior almost as bad

So go ahead and laugh at me, get all your friends together and try to shame me. You are after all, the same people that play the game, right? And if you're not one of the people that I am talking about, and you see what I see and do nothing?... you are a coward too! I wont even speak about Bio-ware's complicity.Bottom line is, (as of right now) I will not be subjecting my self to all of you whining, petulant, rude, narcissistic, bottom dwelling, childish, cowardly, vulgar, entitled idiots after this months subscription. but you can guarantee I will be making it my goal in life to ruin what you have ruined for me and others. I have never played another video game before, nor will i again. I played this for love of star wars. And now, with the strongest emotion possible, I despise you!

I can tell from your writing you are obviously an adult. You have to remember you are playing with children and children act this way. Don't get upset. It's not worth it. Next time you feel it building up, take a break. Unplug. Take a walk. Breath. Laugh. It's only a video game and not worth the stress. You pay for enjoyment, right? I find turning off chat and putting people on ignore works wonders. Edited by TonyTricicolo

You have to understand that a lot of people who play this game are kids.... Especially the ones in PVP and even more so in ranked PvP. You can easily tell if a player is a kid by watching their reactions in game to certain things like losing a ranked game...Also the way they talk..

To them life revolves around things like this game... to you, an adult, life is about different things/goals and you come here for some relaxing.

The best advice I can give is don't engage in fights that are pointless... If they call you names simply move on, don't go down to their level and react the same way.

I found this to be working well.

After all, everyone is a pixel macho behind a screen yes ? Enjoying the anonimity of the net...

I am adult too and was raging in past at thees people, but I learned to change my approach... And just do my thing and avoid getting into situations like that.

Edited by DavidAtkinson

They're not all bad. Some friendly folks helped me find HK-51 parts a couple of days ago. The starter and capital planets as well as the fleets, tend to be cesspits, though. Tython didn't used to be bad, but it seems to have gotten that way now. PVP has an especially rowdy crowd. Edited by BelorfinSiana

I'm really sorry to hear about the experience you've been having. I've not been as direct a victim of anything beyond a few petty objective snatchers, but I can imagine what it's like. It's rubbish. I'm in the habit now of using my custom chat channel a lot because General Chat's cringe-worthy some afternoons. That said, they're what has inspired me to be the exact opposite when I'm in game. Kill 'em with kindness, as they say. Now I do my best to be a positive presence to counter their eye-rolling behaviour. :)

Don't worry, put that players on your ignore, the action will prevent grouping with them, sadly, that happens, a lot, even myself got flamed by some child, or selfish blockhead, they love to insult, they love to act as clowns, but, it's as easy as putting them on your ignore.

That's mainly a problem from allowing free to play players, trashtalking everywhere, I remember this game beta, and the year and a half after launch, you could have random encounters at any planet, at any level against another player, players who pays or serious players, used to be kind, but, after playing tons of games, i can just say, that's f2p related, again, ignore the junk. It's not worth even discussing with them.

Ps: Can't remember when I wrote my last post here :o

Edited by Fresita

Well, welcome to swtor :) jokes aside, it wasnt always like this.

The game has changed over the years and so has the game population. Apart from what all others said about the majority of the players being kids (which is 100% true) there is also the server merge factor.

Before we had multiple servers and many of "these players" have sticked to their servers like for example toxic people were on PVP servers and all in all specific servers. The problem was that when the game population decreased Bioware had to merge the servers in order to keep the ques alive and this brought this negative effect of getting these toxic people and the good people on to one server. I still remember being on the Progenitor server, which was an RP server and its was really a nice place to be, sadly those times are over.

Indeed the ration of good and toxic is like 1:50 (maybe thats a bit too much, but still......). Other problems are also that they game gearing changed in form of rewarding top end game gear for doing solo content. Thats what also brings in more competition when doing daily objectives on Ossus for example.

Lastly, its the internet. The kids use the fact of anonymity and, as you said, really say stuff they would never dare in real life. As you said, if they would meet you on the street they would keep their head down and run past you, but in game, they are 258 gear rating and really to kick your butt :D so sadly this is what the society is heading to......

I would like to take a few moments to talk about my experiences in this game and the type of people that i have had the absolute utmost displeasure of ever having any interaction .

You people are horrible. I have never witnessed such a consistent brand of lewd, selfish, entitled,classless degenerates all in one place like this before. The "jokes", character names, openly racist comments and behavior, cowardly verbal attacks on each other, and mob mentality are ridiculous. Getting shamed in general chat for not being good enough is always fun, but for God's sake, don't try to defend someone who is being attacked unless you want half the server attacking you as well.

I saw 2 players cheating in hutt ball. I told them I saw it. They defended having done it. and of course bio-ware does nothing. (yes i sent a ticket)

Today, on my way towards an objective, i saw another player fighting ... Scarjaw?... on Ossus. I threw a couple of attacks in to help as i was running by. The other player left the fight and raced me to my objective, stole it from me, then started sending me Private messages about "That's what you get!" "you're so mad right know, are you yelling at your screen?" and calling me names. It might be okay if this was an isolated incident, but this happens multiple times a day on various characters. I am to the point that I am on the offensive with certain players or group[s of players as soon as I log in. you idiots have me stooping to your level just to play the game.

Who do you think you are to talk to people that way? Do you realize that being "good" at a fantasy video game may not be a "good" thing? Do you realize that I pay $15 / month to play this GAME too? I'm 6'4", 260 lbs, with a background in military, oilfield and construction. Do you think that any of you would have the courage to speak to me or treat my like that face to face? I know I would never treat someone like that...And then, I realize that my frustration has born out in me behavior almost as bad

So go ahead and laugh at me, get all your friends together and try to shame me. You are after all, the same people that play the game, right? And if you're not one of the people that I am talking about, and you see what I see and do nothing?... you are a coward too! I wont even speak about Bio-ware's complicity.Bottom line is, (as of right now) I will not be subjecting my self to all of you whining, petulant, rude, narcissistic, bottom dwelling, childish, cowardly, vulgar, entitled idiots after this months subscription. but you can guarantee I will be making it my goal in life to ruin what you have ruined for me and others. I have never played another video game before, nor will i again. I played this for love of star wars. And now, with the strongest emotion possible, I despise you!

Hey bud... I'm 67. I've played several games. And frankly as someone else pointed out it was not always this way. Certain crowds tend to gravitate together. And it's most unfortunate.

Several folk have complained about the "public chat" on the servers. I have no idea why so many think they are a total bad azz just because they can trash talk everyone and everything under the sun. It really actually makes them look small IMO.

Just a note on my past:

A long time ago I was a part of one of the most respected guilds in a particular game. My son is a webmaster ... even back in those days. I watched a new group come in (about the same age and temperamant of what you have described. They ment they were going to take over the guild ... and they did (for a while). What those idiots didn't know is that my son OWNED the server that our guild was meeting on. Yeah .. it really was a good time up until that point. I wont go into details... but I refuse to be another part of a guild ... ever ! BUT I do enjoy this game. And I hope to stick around a bit longer ... (hopefully).

HEY !!... don't let these knot heads ruin it for ya ! You hang in there ! Take the high road and move on. Hopefully you will stick around !

;)

Best Regards !

Edited by OlBuzzard

I see a lot of you are blaming kids, it's not just kids, there are plenty of nasty adults in this game too. I've seen more supposed adults do stuff like this then kids. Worse, I've seen people bring this up in these forums, and been flamed for it, by adults.

Best thing yu can do with players like that is just put them on ignore, won't stop them robbing quest stuff, but you won't have to listen to them

Edited by DarkTergon

If you allow bottom dwellers to get under your skin like that, then they win.

Don't let them win. If you must, kill them with kindness....that makes them boil with anger. Dont react or reply.....you're just feeding them when you do.

You'll be okay. Keep enjoying the game and continue to meet people. Make a carefully sorted friends list and sort out the rest with the ignore feature you have.

Good luck to you. :)

Yes, a lot of players seem to lack basic manners. Don't blame it on kids, either - some of the most petty, passive-aggressive and nasty people I've met in this game have been adults. There isn't an age limit to acting like a jerk and it isn't something exclusive to any particular generation of players.

Having said that, refusing to feed them with your attention is the best way to handle things. Turn off chats if they are making you angry. You're under no obligation to talk to anyone in this game, and you don't have to have a constant stream of General Chat bile on your screen if you don't want it there. If there's a clickable objective, click on it BEFORE you fight the surrounding mobs so nobody can steal if from you. If you're inclined to do group activities, try to get in with a guild of people you like and feel compatible with so you're not dealing with randoms in PUGs.

And as hard as might be at times, it helps to laugh at it and see it as pathetic and sad as it really is, instead of letting it get to you. I've had people follow me and wait until I've cleared an area to try to race to the objectives first. As soon as I catch wind of what they're doing, I stop and just start using my emotes and toys - my character will do push-ups, sing, dance in circles, sit in a chair and glare, or whatever, and refuse to go any further, until the moocher figures out they're not getting any help and gets frustrated enough that they leave. It gives me a good laugh.

I have the same issue as you and our body dimenssions are almost identical, so therefore its funny for me when these people (mainly from PVP) say how they would kick my butt in RL :D I grew up in a very bad neighbourhood with roma population all around and street fighting was a common issue. Thats why I get irritated quite easily when these people write such things, cause I know that if we would be sitting face to face they would behave very differently.

Yeah like people said, its mostly kids missusing the power of the internet. It its adults they are compensating some issues they have in RL. Sadly thats how it goes. The internet and the games offer also this possibility. You have the ignore function, but some people are real ******* and even relog to troll you again and again so...

Nevertheless there are quite a few good people in the game and the only thing I can say is to ignore it and more on, enjoy the game.

Today, on my way towards an objective, i saw another player fighting ... Scarjaw?... on Ossus. I threw a couple of attacks in to help as i was running by. The other player left the fight and raced me to my objective, stole it from me, then started sending me Private messages about "That's what you get!" (...)

Get for what? I don't understand this other player's comment.

The other thing I don't understand is how would that other player know what is your objective?

It feels a bit like this is not the whole story.

I myself stopped helping random players, even if I see them on the brink of dying to some mob and I could finish his task within 2 seconds. Sometimes I go close enough to be visible and if that player wants my help, he can invite me to his group, write help in chat or whatever. After all, maybe suicide was his plan all along. ;)

The other thing I don't understand is how would that other player know what is your objective?

Its easy to guess the players objective, mainly in areas like Ossus, Section X, CZ198, you know the missions and what needs to be killed, clicked etc. Based on where the player is heading you get the idea of what his mission is.

The player which was so rude, probably didnt know the game well and thought that the OP wants to take away his kill by dpsing it. That is nonsence but he aparently didnt know how that works.

OP's experience is a little more than the usual.

But his would suggest that he/she join a guild. - A mature and friendly guild is good for one's online mental state. - If that is a bit of a daunting prospect, then consider making a few friends online and forming a guild with them.

At least nowadays you can inspect people's guilds and contact their GM easily.

- As others have said, there are some toxic and rude people out there - It's only reflecting the wider world. I wouldn't say all of them are kids though. -There are some fantastic people and some rotten apples out there - Age isn't always a factor.

GL OP.

Its the Internet. People can be Offensive on purpose, Make fun of others, Post about all things taboo (Disgusting) and since they're on the internet avoid 99% of the deserved consequences. The *Edgier places even more a lot of the time. I typically Ignore the general chat in the worse places (just try not to know it) but Ignoring what's wrong...

1 Does Nothing to stop/ prevent that

2 Once one gets away with it others see its ok

I have at times reported the worse ones but with so much "Ambiguity" from B.W. on the subject who knows what happened (I'd suspect very little). Most people do act suitably but it only takes one rotten one to spoil a place 90% full of civilized members. The More toxic members become the *Less civilized members will be there resulting in lower populations in that area/event. 1,Report them, 2,Mute them and 3,Go on

If Everybody just ignores them, it can only continue and get worse.

Edited by MikeCobalt

Its the Internet. People can be Offensive on purpose, Make fun of others, Post about all things taboo (Disgusting) and since they're on the internet avoid 99% of the deserved consequences. The *Edgier places even more a lot of the time. I typically Ignore the general chat in the worse places (just try not to know it) but Ignoring what's wrong...

1 Does Nothing to stop/ prevent that

2 Once one gets away with it others see its ok

I have at times reported the worse ones but with so much "Ambiguity" from B.W. on the subject who knows what happened (I'd suspect very little). Most people do act suitably but it only takes one rotten one to spoil a place 90% full of civilized members. The More toxic members become the *Less civilized members will be there resulting in lower populations in that area/event. 1,Report them, 2,Mute them and 3,Go on

If Everybody just ignores them, it can only continue and get worse.

By definition and use of the word Everybody in this case--it would not get worse. Once they no longer have an audience they will go somewhere else. As long as one person keeps interacting with them, though, they get PRECISELY what they want, negative or positive.

• 3 weeks later...
I can tell from your writing you are obviously an adult. You have to remember you are playing with children and children act this way. Don't get upset. It's not worth it. Next time you feel it building up, take a break. Unplug. Take a walk. Breath. Laugh. It's only a video game and not worth the stress. You pay for enjoyment, right? I find turning off chat and putting people on ignore works wonders.

Not to mention, each server is different. OP should try another server.

The player which was so rude, probably didnt know the game well and thought that the OP wants to take away his kill by dpsing it. That is nonsence but he aparently didnt know how that works.

I don't know if it's still the case, but it used to be that "general" foes could be "stolen" by someone doing more threat/aggro than the original attacker. Explicitly-summoned foes like Kregg in the Personal Challenge H2 on DK can't be stolen, but the Mandos around him can because they are tough enough to survive long enough to be stolen.

I myself stopped helping random players, even if I see them on the brink of dying to some mob and I could finish his task within 2 seconds. Sometimes I go close enough to be visible and if that player wants my help, he can invite me to his group, write help in chat or whatever. After all, maybe suicide was his plan all along. ;)

The people complaining, never include the whole story, just the snippets that enforce their argument/agenda.