Tank, Skank, or Damage?

Buellzebubba

I have a new Vanguard, but I suppose the same questions apply to the Powertech. I'm trying to decide whether to full on tank, skank, or just do damage.

1) Does full on tank do enough damage?

2) Are damage specs (Tactics & Plasmatech) squishy or survivable?

3) For PVE, what spec companion works best for:

a) Tank

b) Skank

c) Plasmatech

d) Tactics

I have a new Vanguard, but I suppose the same questions apply to the Powertech. I'm trying to decide whether to full on tank, skank, or just do damage.

1) Does full on tank do enough damage?

2) Are damage specs (Tactics & Plasmatech) squishy or survivable?

3) For PVE, what spec companion works best for:

a) Tank

b) Skank

c) Plasmatech

d) Tactics

1) Enough damage for what, exactly?

2) They are more on the squishier side but with a healing companion in solo, or a healer in group you'll be fine.

3)

a) Tank - definitely a DPS stance companion. You should have enough survivability in most cases. Especially if you get yourself a reusable medpac and Life Warden tactical to heal up between packs of mobs from time to time.

b) Skank - DPS should work in most cases, you will kill things even faster, so lower survivability won't be that noticeable.

c and d) As a spec with almost no self heals, you have no choice but to use a heal companion. The only specs that can reliably run with a not-healer companion would be off-heal classes (sage, commando, scoundrel) and may be guardian, if Focused Defense is enough. But it will depend on what content you are doing, sometimes even off-heal classes will have to use a healer companion.

Edited by Equeliber

1) Enough damage for what, exactly?

Enough damage to end most fights quickly. Since you recommend later to definitely use a DPS companion, it looks like they don't. Thus battles may be drawn out if you have a healer comp.

3)

a) Tank - definitely a DPS stance companion. You should have enough survivability in most cases. Especially if you get yourself a reusable medpac and Life Warden tactical to heal up between packs of mobs from time to time.

Where do you get reusable medpacs? Crafting, vendors or drops?

Thanks!