Why force players to subscribe when they still have gametime?

Pyraaa

Why Force us to subscribe in order to redeem the FREE 30 days game time we got for purchasing the game? (ripoff?)

I've had nothing but good things to say about this game since it had early game access for purchasing the digital deluxe edition.

I've even been trying to recruit my guild from other MMOS to come play SWTOR

But to find out that they REQUIRE you to subscribe even to continue using the gametime you are already entitled to seems like a ripoff to me.

Some people would like to get their entitled free 30 days access without being hastled into subscribing on the third day of use.

Anyone else feel like BIOWARE/LUCAS ARTS/EA act like an AUTO DEALERSHIP that takes your drivers license when you test drive a car?

You pay 80 bucks for the game (the price of collectors edition for most other mmos), then before you can play your 30 days that came with the initial purchase, they want you to choose a subscription plan. Soo glad i didn't buy the 150 dollar collectors edition.

Not only is the CE wayy too overpriced but its like PAYING to test drive a BMW but before you leave the lot you have to sign a lease contract.Sure, you can tear up the lease contract and test drive your over priced BMW anyway (which is a test drive you've already paid for), but it leaves you with a bad taste in your mouth.These guys are really taking advantage of the SW fanboys/girls, and may people are blindly playing into their greedy little hands.

Sure, i enjoy the game. I think its a WOW killer... but don't expect the company running this to be loyal to its players if they have shinanegans like this on day 1. Do expect, however, to pay more and get less in the future.

Great business plan. A+

Edited by Pyraaa

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Because every MMO has done is since UO.

It removes 'throw away' accounts and the like. Doing business on the internet always results in you needing a card no matter how much 'free time' they are going to give you.

You should be asking 'what scam is going on?' if they DON'T ask you for your card.

FYI, WOW has a free 14 day trial, EVE has a free trial no CC needed. When you BUY the game you would think they would not restrict your access to the game (30 game days free when you BUY the game)

Hassle for a subscription when there is 7 days of gametime left but not on the 2nd day...

there is no ''standard procedure''. at least widely known. its not that hard for them to discuss something they are doing with the people who are paying for their mazaratis. its not. and if you bought early game access you shoudlnt have to sign up with 26 days of game time left from early access.

FYI, WOW has a free 14 day trial, EVE has a free trial no CC needed. When you BUY the game you would think they would not restrict your access to the game (30 game days free when you BUY the game)

Hassle for a subscription when there is 7 days of gametime left but not on the 2nd day...

WoW didn't have that when they launched, bro. NO MMO has EVER had free trials at launch...except free-to-play games, of course. ;)

I'm sure when Bioware is in the black, they will offer a 14 free day trial too. But you already bought the game...there is no "free" trial anymore. You must subscribe to have an active account, but if you don't like the game, you can cancel before the 30 days are up and you won't be charged. But you'll have still bought the game...

Edited by Siddalee

there is no ''standard procedure''. at least widely known. its not that hard for them to discuss something they are doing with the people who are paying for their mazaratis. its not. and if you bought early game access you shoudlnt have to sign up with 26 days of game time left from early access.

No?

What MMO doesn't make you sign up for a subscription when you purchase it?

SWTOR has no trial.

As with every single MMO on the market you have to give CC info and pick a subscription in order to start playing your free 30 day period that comes with the retail box.

However, every single MMO on the market have people complaining about this too. So nothing new to see here. Welcome to playing MMO's!

Edited by XaeroT

This practice isn't exactly news. It's rather common.

This is the 10th P2P MMO that I've played, unless I'm forgetting some. Every single one of them has requested some form of payment option when setting up my account.

They don't charge you right away. They wait until your first month of included time has expired. They all allow you to cancel your sub at some point prior to being charged for the first time.

For those who want to play beyond the first month I don't really see why this is a problem at all. And it shouldn't really be a surprise since it's laid out plainly on the account page where you enter your game code.

BTW i was there for the launch of AION too, they didn't require CC info until your free gametime ran out.

EQ did, Rift did, WoW did, etc.

Its not a big deal. Put in your CC info, and activate your gametime. Then, without closing the browser, click the "cancel subscription" button.

Voila, you're never charged.

Wow's was implimented years later after they achieved success and they made their money back.

EVE did this years later when they needed to figure out how to make money from their customer base, a customer base that seems to enjoy an economic based game that just happens to be in space and lets you be a pirate. It also helped bolster EVE's number by making sure that those that wanted / were able to pay could buy even MORE game time and then sell it to users who had no money for a crap ton of ISK and thus keep the ingame economy rolling.

Companies do this especially at launch so there's no "interruption' of service and they're not seen as responsible for said interruption of service because they didnt' "warn' customers fast enough their time was wearing out.

Everyone complaining should rewind time and go read over everything its been known for how long now that MMOs typically do this especially the subscription model that needs to TRACK its user base extensively for the first few years in order to show success to investors so money keeps coming in to do more with the game.

THey need NUMBERS thats why this is done.

Just subscribe then auto cancel use your free game time and if you like the game go through the process again. Nothing is charged to your acount until the end of the 30 days anyway. For those that have no CC or Pay Pal account honestly need free ride much I mean who doesn't have atleast one or the other besides kids?

Edited by Kindara

No?

What MMO doesn't make you sign up for a subscription when you purchase it?

World Of Warcraft, Age of Connan, DC Universe online (when it was P2P), Champions Online,

Rift, Aion, i could carry on but i think i made my point!

And that's why WoW is full of gold farmers...

Why Force us to subscribe in order to redeem the FREE 30 days game time we got for purchasing the game? (ripoff?)

I've had nothing but good things to say about this game since it had early game access for purchasing the digital deluxe edition.

I've even been trying to recruit my guild from other MMOS to come play SWTOR

But to find out that they REQUIRE you to subscribe even to continue using the gametime you are already entitled to seems like a ripoff to me.

Some people would like to get their entitled free 30 days access without being hastled into subscribing on the third day of use.

Anyone else feel like BIOWARE/LUCAS ARTS/EA act like an AUTO DEALERSHIP that takes your drivers license when you test drive a car?

Just wondering.

Not really. I don't know why they do it, but I don't see why I should care either. What do you lose by setting it up now? You're not charged until the time you're entitled to is used up. Unless you have to use a gametime card, in which case you purchase it in advance. If you don't like the game, you probably can't return the card. That'd suck, I guess.

Actually, you probably could return the card. I've done it. You'll only get store credit, but hey.. credit is goods. I don't see what there is to complain about.

I'm going to play SW:TOR, because I enjoy it, but with that in mind...

I'm tired of people falsely stating that MMORPGs like WoW, Rift, or old EQ, forced you to buy a subscription before being allowed to play your free 30 days. Sure, they DID ask you to provide credit info, but NONE of them actually forced you to buy game time and forbid you from playing your first 30 day period if you didn't.

The 14-days for free many are offering now are a different beast entirely, and has only added to their count of gold-spammers.

World Of Warcraft, Age of Connan, DC Universe online (when it was P2P), Champions Online,

You could and you still would be wrong.

AoC, DCUO, Champions & Rift all required you to enter a CC to play. So did: LOTRO, DDO, ST:O, EvE, PotBS, & Fallen Earth.

Can't say for WoW or Aion as I never played them.

Edited by Skoobie

Because every MMO has done is since UO.

It removes 'throw away' accounts and the like. Doing business on the internet always results in you needing a card no matter how much 'free time' they are going to give you.

You should be asking 'what scam is going on?' if they DON'T ask you for your card.

This, pretty much.

No you haven't, every one of those games required you to enter credit or debit card details when they launched, which is what we are talking about now or when you first bought the game and set up your initial account.

I've played every MMO from UO, EverQuest and Dark Age of Camelot onwards with the sole exception of Shadowbane (beta tested but didn't buy it) and Vanguard (never interested in it) and I have always been required to set up a subscription on entering the game's serial number on my account.

Only MMOs which currently run a free level limited trials do not require you to enter card details when setting up an account.

Edited by Cadiva

Well You made a very inaccurate point. WoW does not give you your 30 days free until you setup a subscription. Neither did AoC before it went free, DC before it went free, or Rift. Don't know about the others but since you were wrong on those I am sure you are Wong about the others.

Limited trials implemented after launch is not 30 days of free game.

WoW and Eve trials are both limited. Once you actually purchase the game they come with 30 days game time but you will not get that if you do not setup a subscription.