Community Q&A – March 30th 2012 Blog Discussion

JovethGonzalez

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I get from this:

1) They're going to charge for additional character slots.

2) You'll need to buy crafted gear to get the best stats.

1. not sure where you got this because they never said anything like it

2. wat..?

Nothing about server merges

Nothing about the resolve system

Nothing about Nerfs.

It's all about Legacy.. .

Clearly the last question with the largest answer about crafting and appearance falls under legacy.

The patch is called "Legacy 1.2"

Clearly the last question with the largest answer about crafting and appearance falls under legacy.

The patch is called "Legacy 1.2"

Multiple Q&A ... the vast majority of questions have been about server pops....

ignoring a dying population won't make them stay.

What I get from this:

1) They're going to charge for additional character slots.

He didn't say that. They probably will, but then most MMORPGs do, so whatever, not going to pitch a fit about it.

2) You'll need to buy crafted gear to get the best stats.

Perhaps initially, but he did say they were going to allow you to add augment slots to existing gear. That will probably be crafted too though. But requiring you to buy an item from crafters is a good idea. If adventures don't need crafters for anything then crafting is useless.

I was a little disappointed at the RE overview.... I'm just a little curious about other sets that will not be able to be crit crafted (specifically social sets).

I'd like to dust off my slave girl outfit and get a crit crafted set so it would be appropriate for end game (yes, without aug slots it still will be, but it will not be ideal)

Players have expressed some dissatisfaction with endgame armor sets – can you comment on your plans for future endgame appearances?

You said:

Daniel Erickson: We have heard the community loud and clear when it comes to armor sets. What we’ve heard the players say is, “I don’t care how high level I get, I still want my core sets to look and feel like Star Wars and like my class - cooler but not crazy. Keep the crazy to optional gear.” I will warn that creating new armor is a part of our game with long lead times so it will take a set or so before players see a strong shift in direction but we’re already working on some stuff I love and I think players will too.

I'm saying:

***? we are asking for COOL armors, i don't *********** care about what you think is star wars like - i want anakin like armor or obi wan like armor, not "looks like he was in sewers" like armor (cheers for all guardians in pve or pvp gear).

You said:

Georg Zoeller (Lead Combat Designer): This is a very broad question, but I’ll try to answer as comprehensively as possible, as the system is rather complex.

First off, in an ‘under the hood’ change to the game, end game items have more stat variety, allowing for significantly improved item customization for players that like to fine tune their stats.

The most important change for gear in Game Update 1.2 is that all previously modifiable purple gear has all their mods exposed, including the so called ‘base mod’ (Armoring, hilt, barrel). These can be freely moved into any empty (orange) appearance shell, giving you a lot more choices in your character’s appearance.

New end game gear (e.g. “Campaign Gear”) introduced with the Game Update has the added benefit that it keeps information about its set bonus on the armoring – but comes with the limitation that the extracted armoring can only be moved into an item of the same slot type (chest to chest, boot to boot, etc.). The reason for this ‘Bind to Slot’ behavior on armoring is that we do not want players to farm the initial boss of an Operation as the easiest way to obtain a full set of end game mods.

This means you can now take any custom (orange) appearance and imbue it with all the benefits of your end game set. As an added progression option, you can also acquire a critical crafted orange item with additional augment slots for even better stats.

Reverse Engineering has also received considerable improvements with Game Update 1.2.

For one, when attempting to reverse engineer an item (for which you indeed need the appropriate profession) you will now be able to see in the item tooltip what your chance to successfully reverse engineer a new schematic is (or if such a chance exists at all).

Many of the new end game items (and end game items going forward) can be reverse engineered to learn schematics based on the original item:

•Reverse engineering an item with mods leads to empty orange equivalents of the end game items. This can be done after the mods are extracted and used in a different item!

•The item you learn to create is commonly Bind on Equip, as we want to encourage a more lively market on the Galactic Trade Network.

•Many different mods can now be reverse engineered which will grant you a schematic to craft that mod. (This is not possible on armoring that carry a set bonus.)

•Reverse engineering non-modded items usually leads to a schematic for an equivalent item.

•Reverse engineering an end game item also provides materials needed to craft these items. Operations materials are also Bind on Equip now, creating a more diverse market.

•A crafting critical on these schematics will usually lead to an augment slot. For item mods, it results in an extra item.

Effectively, this means you can sell nearly full end game items (including augment slots on a critical success) one component at a time. However, doing so requires a significant upfront investment, it’s certainly not easy. This also means every profession now benefits from Reverse Engineering and can trade items.

•Armormech produces certain Augments, Augmented Tech Armor

•Armstech produces certain Augments, Augmented Weapons

•Artifice produces Color Crystals, Enhancements, Augmented Shields and Relics

•Biochem produces Augmented Implants

•Cybertech produces Mods and Augmented Earpieces

•Synthweaving produces certain Augments, Augmented Force Armor

Augment schematics (green) are found via Slicing missions and blue and purple variants of these augments can be researched via reverse engineering by the appropriate crafters. It is not possible to reverse engineer legacy augments obtained from slicing before the game update arrives, however. These are technically different items.

Because we do not want players to gamble with reverse engineering custom appearances (orange items) which are often unique quest rewards, the schematics for these items are obtained via mission discoveries for various gathering skills and are set to Bind on Equip to encourage active trading.

Finally, a word on augment slots: with Game Update 1.2, crafters are the only source of augment slots in the game, significantly elevating their ability to contribute highly desirable items into the more open trade economy while enabling players to engage in end game using an appearance of their choice.

We have also heard at the Guild Summit and through community feedback on the Forums that many players have built up a significant stack of custom appearances for future use in their cargo holds and would really like to upgrade these with an augment slot to make them fully competitive as end game gear. We absolutely support this and will be introducing the ability to do so in a future Game Update.

I heard:

Ops and PVP will still yeld best end-game gear and augments are irrelevant since this game isn't 1vs1 based

THANK YOU GOOD NIGHT.

Clone_troope: I still don’t get how the Legacy system works. I have a level 50 Jedi Knight Guardian and a level 50 Smuggler Scoundrel. With the Legacy system can one ‘inherit’ the abilities of the other and vice versa?

Daniel Erickson (Lead Game Designer): Each class has one iconic ability that can be unlocked for your entire Legacy, which means every character on your chosen server. This ability is only available for use during the Heroic Moment ability (which means you need to have your companion with you, and that you only have a limited window to use it). In your case, that means your Guardian would unlock Legacy Force Sweep and your Scoundrel would unlock Legacy Dirty Kick. Each could then use the other’s ability as could any additional Legacy characters you might have, or create.

The bottom line, you only get to use that one special ability one or two times every 20 minutes. I think I used my heroic ability 4 or 5 times when leveling up to 50.

Because we do not want players to gamble with reverse engineering custom appearances (orange items) which are often unique quest rewards, the schematics for these items are obtained via mission discoveries for various gathering skills and are set to Bind on Equip to encourage active trading.

This is great news, I am however wondering why it has taken so long to come out with this; would have spared us a lot of hassle and anger were this known beforehand.

Also: I sincerely hope this means that there are such schematics for literally *every* orange mission reward in the entire game, no exceptions!

We have also heard at the Guild Summit and through community feedback on the Forums that many players have built up a significant stack of custom appearances for future use in their cargo holds and would really like to upgrade these with an augment slot to make them fully competitive as end game gear. We absolutely support this and will be introducing the ability to do so in a future Game Update.

This is also good to know. I urge to include this as soon as 1.3, if not earlier. Not only to be able to use the orange items I have already, sometimes really painstakingly, collected, but also because of the significant cost associated with buying *all* items I currently possess (also for my companions) in a critted version and extracting all components from the stuff I have know in order to transfer it to the critted stuff. That would cost many millions in total (I do think that extracting mods is far too expensive), and at that point I wouldn't even have the augments, which would cost a significant amount of money to purchase then, too.

Nothing about server merges

Nothing about the resolve system

Nothing about Nerfs.

It's all about Legacy.. .

As was stated last week... This weeks Q&A was going to about 1.2 and Legacy. That is why there was NOT a post to ask questions for this week.

Well I honestly wish these guys the best with SWTOR, they sound like ok people but I'm going to quietly walk away from this one...

Some dreams are not meant to be.

QFT. Waited since 2005, tough to cancel my sub, but it happened.

Merge will never happen and they dont care

They delete every post that tell true about numbers and merge

MR community manager you have a lot of work erasing posts about MERGE why you dont do some real work posting a ETA or just telling to everyone that still waiting yes just still waiting for merge and dont care about 1.2 cosmetics that this will never happen

Edited by lordhaizen

So much of the end-game is getting ignored in these Q & A's. We've yet to hear how the pvp system is going to advance.. will it ever have an arena system? 2v2, 3v3, etc? How about operation content. We started with EV and KP each with 5 bosses.. many have touted explosive conflict was supposed to have 6 bosses but it ends up being only 4 actual "boss encounters" because 2 are simply 2-boss encounters. Are we expected to truly progress and farm on such a small operation? As raiders we've all burned ourselves up on EV/KP and now what we have to look forward to is a smaller operation. The legacy system is fun but when it comes down to it it simply has no bearing in endgame and right now the endgame seems like it's being put WAY behind the "fun legacy" system you've developed.

And number 2 that is a huge topic on forums and on servers is.. realm merging. Is it happening? When can we look forward to it? Populations are getting lower fast, some people are posting very sad numbers for their servers during peak times. While I personally commend you on an amazing launch and keeping queue times to a minimum it's obvious now that there was an overshot of servers and now the people on the very light servers are paying the price. Please give us more diverse answers, we love the game and we obviously want to be involved as a community but it's rough when the things we play the game for appear to be a much lower focus than other things.

Summary: more answers about pvp endgame, operation endgame, server merges.

Thanks.

So much of the end-game is getting ignored in these Q & A's. We've yet to hear how the pvp system is going to advance.. will it ever have an arena system? 2v2, 3v3, etc? How about operation content. We started with EV and KP each with 5 bosses.. many have touted explosive conflict was supposed to have 6 bosses but it ends up being only 4 actual "boss encounters" because 2 are simply 2-boss encounters. Are we expected to truly progress and farm on such a small operation? As raiders we've all burned ourselves up on EV/KP and now what we have to look forward to is a smaller operation. The legacy system is fun but when it comes down to it it simply has no bearing in endgame and right now the endgame seems like it's being put WAY behind the "fun legacy" system you've developed.

And number 2 that is a huge topic on forums and on servers is.. realm merging. Is it happening? When can we look forward to it? Populations are getting lower fast, some people are posting very sad numbers for their servers during peak times. While I personally commend you on an amazing launch and keeping queue times to a minimum it's obvious now that there was an overshot of servers and now the people on the very light servers are paying the price. Please give us more diverse answers, we love the game and we obviously want to be involved as a community but it's rough when the things we play the game for appear to be a much lower focus than other things.

Summary: more answers about pvp endgame, operation endgame, server merges.

Thanks.

And none of the questions you asked are involved in 1.2 soooo...sorry? I'm surprised so many people are complaining about this. Damned if you do, etc, I suppose.

The whole "we're only taking questions about 1.2 for this week and next week" thing is a rouse--a big sham to take the focus off of the glaring issues the game is facing. Very few of the questions chosen answer anything that hasn't been answered before, or can't be found by browsing the forum for the many threads, PR hype releases, and general testing posts.

I'm excited about 1.2. Excited enough to resubscribe despite being generally disappointed with the current game. But having it hyped and beaten to death is getting tiresome. It's time to get serious, BioWare.

Edited by Dezzi

Aymi: You guys are including a whole bunch of things to motivate us to reroll and unlock stuff through Legacy, but if I’m playing on one server because the community is great, I’ll be limited to eight characters. You said during the Guild Summit you were going to think about it at some point, any update on that?

Daniel Erickson: We are 100% committed to providing more character slots per server in the future but unfortunately we’re not ready to talk about how that will work.

What is there to talk about? You either add slots or you don't. And Bioware seriously wonders why the community is up in arms and outraged at the games current status? Why wouldn't you be ready to tell folks that have already leveled alts and basically got screwed out of anything legacy related to those alts... that there's some hope on the horizon of free slots.

If you want people to stay Subscribed to the game, giving some ACTUAL ANSWERS will go pretty far. This cryptic BS is not helping any situation.