What!! NO ADD-ONS to be authorized!!!!

MallocV

So I put in a ticket praising the game and noted about how the UI feels incomplete, I also asked about authorizing addons in the game.

I got a reply and it said that Bioware is not going to authorize them! This bothers me, addons GREATLY improve a game with proc alerts, boss warnings, customizable UI, simplified AH and so on.

Developers dont always have all the right answers or ideas, add-ons allow them (by popularity ie: Deadly Boss Mobs, threat meters, QuestHelper) to evaluate if anything they created could be done better or incorporated just as those addons where added to that other mmo.

I dont know if addons where ever an issue in that other game, I do know that I take on all the responsibility and risk of using and downloading one if they compromise my account. They are all free to!

What am I missing about the threat Bioware feels about addons?

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, on the one hand, not having addons is a good thing because you can watch the game, instead of a bunch of numbers and timers. A lot of addons really ruin the immersion.

On the other hand, they've completely failed to provide a decent UI, thus proving that they probably should let some legit programmers (addon community) create some addons for us to use.

Well, on the one hand, not having addons is a good thing because you can watch the game, instead of a bunch of numbers and timers. A lot of addons really ruin the immersion.

On the other hand, they've completely failed to provide a decent UI, thus proving that they probably should let some legit programmers (addon community) create some addons for us to use.

It actually helps immersion for me and added so much more fun to WoW. Once you have them it's hard to go back.

Maybe a CSR isn't the right person to be asking about sweeping changes to game policy.

Or maybe you are just making it up because you can't stop posting.

It could go either way.

?? My first time posting here, open a ticket and ask see If im making it up idk sounds like your all about attacking me

Developers dont always have all the right answers or ideas, add-ons allow them (by popularity ie: Deadly Boss Mobs, threat meters, QuestHelper) to evaluate if anything they created could be done better or incorporated just as those addons where added to that other mmo.

Glad they won't allow these. Such addons force the developers to change the content to suit the addons, meaning it changes the content of the game for everyone. WoW entered that cycle where addons simplified the game, so developers had to throw more crap into every encounter to overcome the addons, leading to the steaming pile of junk WoW is today.

I don't really mind it. SWTOR has its own built-in questhelper. DBM and threat meters made the game too easy. Critical thinking, situational awareness, and the ability to think on your feet will compensate for all of these things. You don't NEED those tools, they are merely nice to have.

Their UI needs to be improved in the following way to achieve perfect functionality:

1. Debuffs need to be displayed in real time on party and ops frames
  2. Cast bars need to be displayed prominently and in real time on target/focus frames
  3. target selection via raid and ops frames needs to be more crisp/responsive

And then you're good.

Edited by ndruo

Not everyone gives a crap about your immersion. If you want to be immersed, fine, don't use addons, or parsers, or whatever else, but not all of us enjoy being smashed down to your level of mediocrity because the buff bar is literally too small to see, for instance, and the entire UI is equally atrocious.

Glad they won't allow these. Such addons force the developers to change the content to suit the addons, meaning it changes the content of the game for everyone. WoW entered that cycle where addons simplified the game, so developers had to throw more crap into every encounter to overcome the addons, leading to the steaming pile of junk WoW is today.

I dont remember ever reading anything anywhere from any site authorized or not about how the development team was trying to outsmart an addon especially when they could just ban one and block its use in the game, and they did block addons.

I forgot to mention healing addons, ever have a non-addon using healer in your raid? That other MMO still doesnt have a functional healing UI. IMO ;)

Most addons I used where to customize the hotkey sizes, placement and so on, I used healing/dps meters to evaluate my healing performance.

Proof? Oh wait you have none/a crappy screen shoot full of bad spelling, lol yeah ok.

Sorry I dont know how to post pic's or I would have taken a screen shot of it and posted it. You could open a ticket and ask about authorizing addons to see what they say if you need proof.

I dont remember ever reading anything anywhere from any site authorized or not about how the development team was trying to outsmart an addon especially when they could just ban one and block its use in the game, and they did block addons.

I forgot to mention healing addons, ever have a non-addon using healer in your raid? That other MMO still doesnt have a functional healing UI. IMO ;)

That's exactly the point though. Healbot and grid made healing easier, so Blizzard had to massive increase the damage thrown out in raids to adjust. Same thing with DBM. It made it a lot easier to dodge/avoid boss mechanics, so Blizzard had to massively ramp up the number of mechanics in each fight to compensate. It got to the point in Cata where boss fights were no longer fun, they were just drawn out, repetitive, and tedious.

Wrong, instead of having a customizable addon where I can show cooldowns and reactive abilities right on screen where I will see them while watching the action, instead with the default UI I need to be constantly looking down at my hot bar to see if ability X Y or Z is usable yet. Edited by Jnight

Exactly what I've been experiencing since EGA and one of the main reasons I'm canceling.

Are you another Troll? When did you cancel? January 4th, 2012? ;)

The reason I ask is that I've seen you post this exact same thing (or a variation of it) in several threads.

Are you another Troll? When did you cancel? January 4th, 2012? ;)

The reason I ask is that I've seen you post this exact same thing (or a variation of it) in several threads.

No, I didnt cancel yet but I'm planning on it if ability delay and other things don't improve.

The last thing the overworked customer service needs right now is having to deal with compromised accounts because players went downloaded a addon they shouldn't have.

When you get your addons from untrusted sites or even trusted sites you take on that risk.

No game NEEDS addons. Sometimes they are nice if you like those things, personally it annoyed me to no end to have to deal with finding updates to my addons after every patch in wow. I didn't have addons because I wanted them, I had them because it was required to raid in my guild, and I hated it.

While a more customizable UI would be great, that's about the only thing I see that is needed and that is something BW can do inhouse. WoW was the only game I have ever used addons for, at any point in time in the 10 or so years I've been playing MMOs.

I'm not saying there aren't people out there that want addons, I'm just saying need is a bit strong of a word to use in regards to them.

Oh and as someone else already said, I wouldn't count what a CS Rep said as gold, chances are they don't really know one way or another.

Edited by Tyriene

I think add-ons worked so well in WoW because Blizzard isn't good at re-inventing the wheel.

All of the best features in WoW were either done in other games first and improved by WoW, or created by mod programers and then made into regular interface features.

Blizzard recognized that players have a better understanding of what they want than Blizzard does, and that they can get programmers to work for free by supporting add-ons.