Trying to decide: AP or Pyro

Kyanthus

Recently came back to the game, and have been trying out the different classes.

Right now I'm on Bounty Hunter. And I went with Powertech.

But now I'm wondering about which dps spec to go with.

Would anyone want to give me their insights into the two?

Back when the game launched I had a different account, and I had an AP, but a ton has changed since then.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

(I like to experience all aspects of games, if that helps in your answers.)

Thank you in advance!

You have no choice - advanced prototype. Pyro is just too weak nowadays and has nothing to offer. AP has better defensives (one but important passive more) and better dmg - both burst and sustained. Pyro has best ingame animations but that is all it has to offer. In PvP yoi are a thread to noone as pyro but you kinda counter madness sork because of dot dmg reduction passive. All in all pyros hits are weaker than all of APs attacs.

Try both specks out you can switch them easily. Just dont waste credits on auguments because AP uses power and pyro uses alacrity and crit. By the time you min max your BH you will know what speck to choose.

Also read more in the forums. All topics show that AP has insane burst - you can kill in 3 globals while pyro is nerfed to the ground and thus unplayabe.

If you are chosing for levelling choose pyro. It has more aoe dmg while AP shines after lvl 54.

You have no choice - advanced prototype. Pyro is just too weak nowadays and has nothing to offer. AP has better defensives (one but important passive more) and better dmg - both burst and sustained. Pyro has best ingame animations but that is all it has to offer. In PvP yoi are a thread to noone as pyro but you kinda counter madness sork because of dot dmg reduction passive. All in all pyros hits are weaker than all of APs attacs.

Try both specks out you can switch them easily. Just dont waste credits on auguments because AP uses power and pyro uses alacrity and crit. By the time you min max your BH you will know what speck to choose.

Also read more in the forums. All topics show that AP has insane burst - you can kill in 3 globals while pyro is nerfed to the ground and thus unplayabe.

If you are chosing for levelling choose pyro. It has more aoe dmg while AP shines after lvl 54.

Note: All this advice is only for PvP. In PvE, Pyro and AP use pretty much the same gear, and Pyro is able to out-perform AP in quite a few fights (assuming the team comp already comes with sundered + assailable) - especially anything with multiple enemies to hit.

Note: All this advice is only for PvP. In PvE, Pyro and AP use pretty much the same gear, and Pyro is able to out-perform AP in quite a few fights (assuming the team comp already comes with sundered + assailable) - especially anything with multiple enemies to hit.

True! Thanks for pointing this out. I don't want him to be misinformed :D

Solo play? PvP or PvE? That matters.

If you want to do heroic missions and story mode I suggest Pyrotech (good AOE and easy resourse managment)

If you want to do warzones or arenas then you have no choice - Advanced Prototype is the only way.

I cannot suggest AP or Pyro for casual Operations - I don't play PvE.

BTW you can check Shieldtech as well! It is good for PvE and PvP. Good for soloing in any ways.

PS You can switch between specs so don't worry! Best advice is play both specks and choose yourself! You cannot switch only between advanced classess (Powertech and Mercenary). Dont augment your gear before you choose your speck though. As I pointed out it costs too much credits. Between 2 or 4 million credits for min/maxing.

One more advice - choose PvP or PvE now and level there. Different gameplay and different rotation and different skills you use!

Edited by Lyublina

Thank you!

I think it will mostly be PVE. I love story lines and exploring.

But there's something about handing someone their butt and having my butt handed to me too (hahaha) that I also find fun.

Bravely go Pyro then. I dont like AP for PvE. It is too slow for me. But mind that if you ever go PvP you will be useless. You will see big numbers in the end because Pyro is a dot class but that will mean nothing. Unlike a vengeance juggernaut (who will do dotspread as well) your dmg is not even a little pressure to the enemy healers. I really hope that pyro will get some love in future patches.

Have fun with best looking spells in the game ;)

Recently came back to the game, and have been trying out the different classes.

Right now I'm on Bounty Hunter. And I went with Powertech.

But now I'm wondering about which dps spec to go with.

Would anyone want to give me their insights into the two?

Back when the game launched I had a different account, and I had an AP, but a ton has changed since then.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

(I like to experience all aspects of games, if that helps in your answers.)

Thank you in advance!

PyroTech. If you liked launch / pre 3,0 AP, this is what you are looking for ;)

What do you think? Should Pyro get assailable instead of susceptible on Scorch?

Also, do notice one thing: AP IS BETTER currently. This also means it's more likely to get nerfed. That also means Pyro is more likely to get buffed. So, to me at least, this looks like the difference between the inevitable disapointment and inevitable excitement(at the cost of current excitement / disapointment). Choose wisely young one ;)

Actually that wasn't all

Also, do notice one thing: AP IS BETTER currently. This also means it's more likely to get nerfed. That also means Pyro is more likely to get buffed.

That was my reasoning back in 2.0 when I played engineering sniper... guess what Bioware did...

Buffed the spec a little bit, and then mega-nerfed the playstyle in 3.0

What do you think? Should Pyro get assailable instead of susceptible on Scorch?

Also, do notice one thing: AP IS BETTER currently. This also means it's more likely to get nerfed. That also means Pyro is more likely to get buffed. So, to me at least, this looks like the difference between the inevitable disapointment and inevitable excitement(at the cost of current excitement / disapointment). Choose wisely young one ;)

Thing is, susceptible is just as good for Pyro's damage as Assailable is, because all its damage is tech (and only ~75% of its damage is elemental). If we were to make Pyro more self-sustaining, I'd go with making Incendiary Missile give susceptible instead of Flamethrower giving Overwhelmed.

Oh and AP is only better when you need the AoE damage reduction, the burst or the mobility. I perform significantly better whenever I go Pyro and its not a burst or mobility required fight like Styrak or brontes (so long as someone brings assailable that is).