Australian server transfer in LATE April!

melsione

Are you able to create new characters on the Oceanic servers whilst still on the US ones? If so, find a server you want to be on, and create a character with the name you want. Before the transfer delete that char and hope no one takes the name.

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you able to create new characters on the Oceanic servers whilst still on the US ones? If so, find a server you want to be on, and create a character with the name you want. Before the transfer delete that char and hope no one takes the name.

I think thats what 90% of the population of the servers actually are, placeholder toons.

Edited by Pelum

BW already stated that while they don't have the mass transfer system in place yet, they can still manually transfer characters to the PTS server. Source: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=3178757#edit3178757

Offer this service too to those that will receive the transfer email this week. Hire a guy or two to do the copy+paste. Maybe charge a little fee for their wage and still do the free transfer on April.

Otherwise, what a disappointing launch this is. Your money-grubbing decision is so obvious. :mad:

Edited by aivedoir

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilZeRo

the only reason they havnt transfered people already is they dont have the ability to yet that is the ONLY reason it hasnt been done.

I 100% agree just seems retarded as I would think, this would be an easy job for devs, isnt it just transfer files? how hard can it be?

its alot more complicated than most people think.

Seriously,

We get a new server! We have lvl 50's who raid and play endgame, but we have to wait almost 2 months before we can bring them across and actually play on the better latency?

Which person came up with this concept? You knew when the aussie servers were coming up and you did not allow for server transfers to happen immediately?

So now if we want to play on our mains (Which we DO) we have to go back to the 250 latency pings for another 2 months! Bravo!

And what happens when people take existing legacy surnames which we cannot reserve?

This is so pathetic!

Well only solution for me: End subscription till April and then try again! The only reason I renewed my subscription was because of wanting to play on low latency servers!

And for anyone wondering where I am getting April from: Its in their FAQ: http://www.swtor.com/info/faq/game#q400115

Funny thing is, it's not BioWares fault it's your own fault. You decided to import the game and play it before offical release. If you had have waited you would not be having this problem. You can blame BioWare all you like but they are not to blame. You should be thankful they are giving free transfers at all, they didn't have too.

And for the record, i am a aussie with 3 50's wanting to move to a 30ms ping as well.

Edited by Bladedakoda

If latency and game performance matter to you, make sure you don't transfer to the Australian server unless you reside in either Australia or NZ; see the thread here as regards the woes experienced by other Asia-Pacific residents on the new 'Asia-Pacific Servers":

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=333910

Edited by Ashraman

Happy they are around, Sorry you cant wait, I hope you enjoy your next mmo with the high ping as well.

The ping in this game is alot better then any I have been on, Getting an Aussie server was the cherry on the top.

btw chances are your legacy names etc would be used by others on other servers transferring to it, so bad luck. I doubt you wouldve gotten to take it across.

Edited by Carbonated

why so worked up over this matter? you can still play, you can still transfer later.. being impatient and angry dont change the transfer date, mate.. its not that big of a deal...if it is then you might reconsider your priorities , this is just a game ^_^

No just you and another poster seeming to ridicule and dismiss every other post in this thread as those players feelings on the subject are less important than your own.

If you fail to understand a company who stated transfers would go ahead in early March later changed the FAQ through with an an announcement on Dev Tracker 24 hrs before players expected it to happen. Not even an announcement just a note to say the FAQ had been updated, if you dont find this to be underhanded & sneaky to say the least then you have no sense of moral decency.

This is not the first time BW has behaved like this, their lack of communication and deliberate attempt to hide details till the last minute in an effort to maintain $$ at our expense is quickly tarnishing their image.

I think that we should just go on strike and cancel our memberships. This is unbeliecable. We are that dedicated customers that we imported, paid shipping fees to get the game when it was released in other countries. Level up our characters then get spat in the face and told not till late April.

I don't even dare start a new character in these servers due to BW's unpredictability. What if come late April they don't allow transfers to these first pvp/pve servers due to overpopulation, and instead recommend us to another new set of servers? I'll be having multiple 50's stuck in different servers unless I pay for transfer in May.

A simple fix would be to allow transfer to any server that you have an existing character on. But with Bioware's current decision makings, I have my doubts.

Edited by aivedoir

If they are not ready for the data migration yet then they are not ready. It's quite a lot of data to be transferred quests etc. I don't know the extent needed for migration but I assume it is not trivial otherwise they would let you do it right away so as not to piss you off. Stands to reason.

So they are not ready.. assuming they are hard at it doing other bits and pieces but they expect to have transferred ready by april (nothing worse then transferring you and mucking up your charcater) I think that would be an even worse situation.

SO you have to wait until april. sucks I know but in the meantime you can carry on as you are and get a free transfer to local servers when it happens which you have been told is estimated in april.. much better then being told that you have to pay for it or that it not feasible to transfer form one server cluster to another.. (WoW for istance you cannot transfer from EU server to US servers)

When Lotro transferred UK customer base to US servers we didn't have access to our charcaters for about a week or more and there were plenty of errors with the transfer process.

A mass data migration like this has to be done right.. just calm down and wait.. better to wait a bit then for the whole process to go wrong.

Actually, yes, it is trivial. It is a VERY simple task to filter the account database for those registered to the region, then flag those accounts as transferable, then to flag the characters as wanting to transfer if the client says yes, then to filter the character database for all those who flagged yes to transfer, then to transfer those from 1 database to another

What you obviously miss, most likely due to insufficient intelligence, is that by being FORCED TO WAIT if someone else takes your character name, or your legacy name, you are

F

U

C

K

E

D

LOTR is an OLD game, with poor programing, and run by a deficient company. However, a game with better programming, and run by a top market company, like Bioware, could not have these issues.

Boom! nail on the head... They're all terrified of how bad the sub numbers will look very soon, so theyre grasping at straws to try and keep people for another xx amount of time... Just fighting the inevitable though...

Hence why the game only has a max of 6 months at a time subscription, with no lifetime launch and no 1 year launch subs.

Sorry really can't be bothered to read 34 pages, read the first 4 or 5 got the gist though.

I only purchased SWTOR 3 weeks ago and had planned to completely boycot SWTOR due to the lack of Australian release. I only relented and purchased it as we where told we would get transfers if they had said such transfers where months away from the official launch I would never have brought the game. A week or two I could understand but 2 months ***...

I have several friends I have been talking the game up to who have now purchased the game and rolled on Oceanic servers that I can not play with unless I re-roll I really do not want to do that and don't have the time to do so either.

I will most likley let my sub lapse when my 30 days free have expired and as such I'm pretty sure my friends who have just purchase will then follow suit.

Well done Bioware for yet another complete and utter dissapointment

I have several friends I have been talking the game up to who have now purchased the game and rolled on Oceanic servers that I can not play with unless I re-roll I really do not want to do that and don't have the time to do so either.

This seems a bit selfish, to me. You get them excited about the game, they buy in, and now you can't be stuffed going through the early levels with them again? Sheesh. Make a new character. Enjoy low pings on the flashpoints. Have some fun. If you don't have time for your friends, you shouldn't have friends.

This seems a bit selfish, to me. You get them excited about the game, they buy in, and now you can't be stuffed going through the early levels with them again? Sheesh. Make a new character. Enjoy low pings on the flashpoints. Have some fun. If you don't have time for your friends, you shouldn't have friends.

I have time but not that much time, I have already used up a whole stack of my frequent family points leveling up my current main so I really can not spend that many hours again leveling. Not all of us live alone in our mum's basement.

If it was a short wait sure not a problem 2 weeks I can understand 2 months really is jsut plain ludicrous. I fully intend to level with them but I simply can not clock up massive chunks of time leveling initally again as my freinds are no doubt going to do hence they will actually leave me behind level wise al too soon.

It is just silly it creates disparity between friends guilds etc. The real problem lies in that they delayed the Oceanic release that was Bio Wares real mistake. I can certainly say next time I see a game with the lable Bio Ware I will think long an hard before taking it to the counter.

It is just silly it creates disparity between friends guilds etc. The real problem lies in that they delayed the Oceanic release that was Bio Wares real mistake. I can certainly say next time I see a game with the lable Bio Ware I will think long an hard before taking it to the counter.

Video game piracy is destroying the video game market

Video game piracy is not destroying the video game market. Massively single player online star wars games, world of star trek, and just generally ****** games are destroying the video game market.

Next time you see a bioware game, do what I do. Download it. If it is good, buy it. If it is not, delete it.

I bought DA1, didnt buy DA2

you do not lose money from a pirate, because they would not have paid anyway. Someone who wants a good game from you will pay if you provide it to them.

There is a band, old school rock, that said up yours to their record label, released their album for free on their site and asked people to pay whatever they thought it was worth. They made far more. An example of people will pay for something if they think it is worth it

I'm an Australian player on swiftsure, and I am having a lot of fun playing on an American server. To be honest I'm happy that they will be providing a transfer for free, however its incredibly frustrating that this service is not offered sooner. I'll be damned if I re roll another character. I would no doubt be a lot happier if I could play on a better ping, which makes me wonder why BW wouldn't want to make customers like me happier and want to play their game a lot more.

The dev teams for BW are very skilled, so why hasn't this service been made available sooner? Personally I don't believe that all the people that want to apply for transfers are level 50, fully geared, with bundle loads of credits. I'm level 39, my friends that want to transfer are from 20 to 44. It doesn't make sense to allow servers to "naturally" grow, because a varied amount of characters with varied levels will transfer.

I really have considered both sides outlined in this thread, especially the fact that I personally bought this game premature from the US. The main problem I believe is the lack of communication. It's so exciting to have new servers, but incredibly frustrating not being able to use my character on it. Maybe I'm being a little bit impatient, but 2 months is a long time... But at least the option will be available for free in the future. Until the day comes, I will continue as normal, PvPing and Questing to hit 50.

Oh, my... What a fiasco. I would have thought it was obvious that you (BioWare) must cater to your existing customers first. Why open the servers if your most devoted Oceanic players can't move to them? In two month's time they'll all very likely be required to change their names because new players will have gotten first pick.

My sympathies to the existing Oceanic players. I hope your next MMO treats you better.

We get a new server! We have lvl 50's who raid and play endgame, but we have to wait almost 2 months before we can bring them across and actually play on the better latency?

Truly stupid. Might as well not even have server transfers given that you can have a 50 in a month and have him fully geared in a month and a half. Seems like a trick to get you all to reroll and stay subscribed while Bioware figures out what the players mean by the term "endgame."

It is really unfortunate that they didn't time this better. The problem is that they are still working on getting server transfers working properly to the PTS. They're going to be then using that as a testing ground for server transfers between live servers. I'm sure they'd love to give the transfers now, but it's just not ready.

I'm an Australian player on swiftsure, and I am having a lot of fun playing on an American server. To be honest I'm happy that they will be providing a transfer for free, however its incredibly frustrating that this service is not offered sooner. I'll be damned if I re roll another character. I would no doubt be a lot happier if I could play on a better ping, which makes me wonder why BW wouldn't want to make customers like me happier and want to play their game a lot more.

Put on your tin foil hats I have a theory

There has been complaints from players on the 3 unofficial Aussie servers, that once we all leave those servers will become dead. I read in another post that server transfers for all players will be in May, perhaphs to limit the fallout of our leaving west coast US servers they are looking at staggering transfers. We get moved frst in late Apri followed by everyone else in May

The alternative is to accept the fact that in the last 3 months they havent developed a way to do it. Unbelievable as it may be such a thought does not instill confidence in their brand at all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilZeRo

the only reason they havnt transfered people already is they dont have the ability to yet that is the ONLY reason it hasnt been done.

I 100% agree just seems retarded as I would think, this would be an easy job for devs, isnt it just transfer files? how hard can it be?

It's complicated

Edited by Kourage