New industry rumors of a KOTOR Remake / Reimagining. Future of SWTOR in question?

DragonSloot

Cinelinx and IGN are reporting industry rumors of KOTOR getting a soft reboot, a remake / sequel of KOTOR 1 and 2 to bring it into the disney canon.

I'm deeply concerned on what that means for the future of SWTOR.

I've never played KOTOR, but as far as I know, it's a single player FPS or RPG - single player being the operative word.

A lot of people might play a new KOTOR while also playing SWTOR, just like many people play or have played Fallen Order or CoD, or whatever.

Also note that this sort of thread pops up every time something new comes out:

Will Anthem kill SWTOR?

Will WoW Classic kill SWTOR?

Will Fallen Order kill SWTOR?

Etc, etc, etc.

Edited by JediQuaker

Cinelinx and IGN are reporting industry rumors of KOTOR getting a soft reboot, a remake / sequel of KOTOR 1 and 2 to bring it into the disney canon.

I'm deeply concerned on what that means for the future of SWTOR.

Why? Sounds great! This game is crumbling more and more after each update. The best thing that could happen is as this game continues, a sequel ought to be made.

They could use this game as a lesson on what to do and not to do for a Star Wars MMO.

No point in getting worked up about something you have little to no control over, but hey, it's your prerogative. ;)

I guess it depends on how much this game means to the person. I can't imagine the death of SWTOR causing me any distress, but I also don't view SWTOR as a big part of my life.

If they basically reskin the old KotOR/TSL games with some engine improvements, but keep the old turn-based system with complementary animations, and the old stories. I think they could have a good market.

If they try to re-write the old stuff they're going to piss a bunch of people off. I'm one of them.

I think it has a high chance of changing the story to fit the canon. Ditching Korriban for Moriband or Exegol. Bringing Ach-To in. The question is, why would they spend the money to develop it when people still buy new copies of KOTOR to this day?

Hopefully, they take a learning page from the FFVII Remake - it seems the pushback on the action-oriented changes was so strong, that they have added something they are calling "Classic Mode" (or something similar) for the launch.

Any KOTOR remake should be built with this in mind right out of the gate, no question. That said, I do think KOTOR with Fallen Order's combat system would be quite enjoyable indeed.

If they simply updated the graphics and added native widescreen resolutions, I would buy both immediately. This has been *somewhat* done for KOTOR 2, but not to the level I'm talking about.

Riôt

SWTOR is Knights of the Old Republic III. If they were smart about it, as if, all they need to do is give the budget and quality to make a new game Knights of the Old Republic IV. Set the timeline a couple of hundred years after Onslaught. New PCs, new Companions, new class stories. Take the opportunity to change what didn't work, try out new stuff, and keep what worked. For fun allow the option or make it canon your character is the descendent of your SWTOR character. Edited by Hadsil

Remaking Kotor if it's same storyline, with upgraded graphic be cool.

Changing the turn base of I would be 50/50 on that sort of change depending on what they change it too... if bioware follows the style of games like Dragon Age i could get aboard the change

Its EA.

All they will do is the same thing Activision did with WC3, update the graphics, add a couple new shinies, and push it out as another cash grab.

They are just stone cold stupid at this point about STar Wars game and i suspect they will eventually lose the contract over it.

If they would just give SWTOR the same treatment, finally update the engine and give it proper resources they could punt the rest, instead they are just being the same old EA.

While I would be happy with at least majority of Old Republic era stuff getting reinstated into new canon, I so do not look forward to any modern dev studio butchering KOTOR 2's writing, Kreia in particular. God no... It's the best piece of Star Wars storytelling ever, even better than Empire Strikes Back, so to think it could get "streamlined" is just...