[Guide] Tips for Newer GSF Players

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wanted to note something about "skill based vs Component based"

Skill is a deciding factor... up to a certain level. Once the opponent has enough skill then gear ABSOLUTELY matters.

Drak is not going to jump in a strike fighter to fight me in a T2 Scout, he knows the odds. He isnt going to use Quick charge shields on a Scout normally either, he knows that is not at all optimal.

In a rough fight we know which ships and components are META and which arent (META for those that dont know stands for Most Effective Tactic Available) there is a reason its that way

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

First, for comet craper, directionals and laser canons are the way to go.

second as for fortress shileds, it`s bad, couse it keeps you in one place. And we even have that info in game "An idle (gun)ship is as doomed ship"

so it is bad for newer plaeyrs couse it teaches bad habbits.

One of top 10 GS advices is also provided by a co-pilot:

"move, move, move!"

• 1 month later...

Updated with a new item under General Tips:

Play a little of everything.

By learning to play any type of ship, you also learn how to beat them. It's much easier to understand what the weaknesses of a class are when you're familiar with the class. It also means you have more options if someone plays the counter to your preferred ship type.

• 1 year later...

I really can't fault the OP's guide. Very well done.

I might add one or 2 points, though, the default Keybindings aren't for everyone. - there's no reason you shouldn't change them to something more suitable/comfortable. - And if you have more buttons on your mouse - then they are the obvious choices for some of the things you use most often, freeing your other hand for steering around stuff. - It's a bit like driving a car - all your limbs are doing something!

- For example, My power settings are all on the mouse - bosting engine, shields or weapons, and resetting to level with the final button. even the scroll up/down is easy to set. - Then my DCDs and offensive CDS are in easy reach of my left index finger - C for example is my missile break. - But don't take this as gospel, you need to find something that works for you. Mess about in the tutorial if you need to practice - It's not perfect, but good for getting the all important muscle memory.

-And also play around with your GUI - The default one is okay, but if you need to re-arrange the map, or the power settings position, do so. There's no reason you have to be a slave to the default.

Missile breaks are also the cause of a lot of suicides. - If you have Barrel roll it just propels you forward. - But again practice with the other ones in the tutorial - some you can use right next to walls and survive, some don't. - That'll keep you in space longer and contributing more.

- And don't be afraid to asks for help. The community is small but usually pretty friendly and generally non-toxic. Ask questions and say hello, and you can't go wrong.

Safe flying.

Edited by Storm-Cutter

• 1 month later...
I'm new, and I was wondering, is there any loser penalty? Or any other reason not to play GSF?

No penalty.

There are many reasons not to play GSF, but the two really good ones are that you don't like playing GSF or that you want to do something more constructive than playing a computer game. Basically the same reasons that apply to any computer game.

This is a good primer for new GSF pilots (especially because the game has largely stayed in the same configuration since launch, e.g. strike fighters still haven't been improved, fortress shield is still the most limited shield option, scouts still tend to counter gunships which tend to counter bombers which tend to counter scouts, and so on). Minus the peanut gallery bickering about the utility (or lack thereof) of Fortress Shield, this thread includes practically everything I sometimes mention at the start of matches and covers what I like to call the "fundamentals" (i.e. accuracy/marksmanship, situational awareness, and power modulation/F keys). Well, situational awareness isn't discussed directly, but it can be aided by cycling through targets (which was discussed).

I have noticed something in my experience that might be of use, but might be too specific for a beginner's guide: when you take aim at a target, but multiple targets are within your small reticle, for instance when a bomber puts out multiple mines/drones that happen to overlap even a little in your field of view, every shot you take will miss. It's as if the game doesn't know what you're shooting at because there are too many possible targets within your firing reticle, and thus it registers your shots as misses (before any shot effect can take place, it has to land on a target, and the game can't seem to make up its mind as to which one you fired at, even if some are actually LOS'd behind an obstacle). I have observed this effect occur with all railguns, including ion (even with the AoE upgrade enabled). I suspect the same will be true for other weapons, so if you're wondering why all of a sudden the drones/mines seem to be impossibly dodging your shots, that might be why. If you're aiming for something and the targets overlap somewhat, instead of wasting your time on shots that will miss, take the extra few seconds to move around until they spread out a little more in your field of view, or aim at something further out with AoE ion railgun.

Edited by Eldarion_Velator
some clarifications

Funny you mention this today Tae, last night close and I were discussing this same phenomenon and how when some players are out of range but still bunched together on your targeting, it will sometimes tend to attempt to shoot (and always miss) the out of range target rather than the in-range one.

I've noticed that too with railguns. Also there's the non-ion weapons that cause you to drop your charge(still hasn't been fixed for eons). I've noticed a couple other buggy issues. Seems distortion field missile break acts screwy at times too. Also seen some issues with wingman as well.

• 3 months later...
Updated to reflect changes to the intro quest.

Also, don't forget about the Introduction to Conquest one-time mission obtained from the Priority Mission Terminal on the fleet in either Supplies or Combat Training (both work.) It grants a major ship and a major fleet req grant along with 20 UCs and a Grand Chance Cube, and will auto-complete if you have EVER completed a conquest personal goal on that character previously.

• 6 months later...