Will EA/Bioware axe Swtor on the near future?

JayChow

Realistically speaking onslaught has been extremely disappointing compared to all the previous expansions.

What I got out of onslaught was that the devs made a few cut scene reused a few voice dialogues, but its mostly just 2 planets go here kill this guy then go there kill this guy and then go find and kill malgus but he escapes end of expansion. maybe 1.5 to 2 hour long. minus any travel time maybe about a 30 min expansion.

just kind of weak tbh, there are people who are saying onslaught is the best expansion for this game but I just don't see it. I'm sorry. Ive been playing since 2013 and played all the expansions and enjoyed them all, but onslaught? are you kidding me? pre - expansion content for older expansions is longer then the entire onslaught expansion.

Considering how SWTOR was recently spoken about BY EA DIRECTLY saying how it almost reached 1 billion and EA is happy I don't think it's going anywhere

Nailed it. When they use words like very happy and consistent performer to investors that means it will be around for a lot longer.

• 2 weeks later...

Game is pretty safe untill the 10 year exclusivity deal runs out in 2023.

At which point we're likely going the way of SW Galaxies - as a result of a combination of the developer not wanting to pony up the money to reacquire the licence and newer licensed games they'll want to get TOR out of the way for.

Edited by aeterno

• 3 weeks later...

No way.

The game has consistently maintained good revenue despite losing players and development resources.

EA is spending less now than ever before on maintaining SWTOR. It's pretty obvious that with an Anthem rework and a new Dragon Age in development, Bioware isn't exactly spending a lot of resources on this game. Yet, the devoted community will keep buying from the CM and keep their subscriptions. Fair enough, too - there's not an MMO that compares to SWTOR story-wise, and certainly none if you're looking for something Sci-Fi/Star Wars specific.

In other words, the game has retained its profitability despite costing EA less than ever before in resources. That makes it a valuable asset (which was reinforced by EA stating the game performed consistently for investors in a recent statement).

Plus, the game gets a huge influx of players every time a new Star Wars movie/show comes out. WIth episode IX and the Mandalorian out, the game is hitting like 300,000 plus daily players. It's no WoW or FFXIV, but that makes it a lot more popular than most other MMOs.

Once the 2023 exclusivity runs out, they'll probably axe it. But I doubt they'll say goodbye to SWTOR before then.

It's gonna depend on how profitable the game still is and what else could possibly be in the works. Towards the end of SWG, there was still a very healthy population, notably on the Starsider server. There's no way that game wasn't making a ton of money at $15 a pop, especially with SWG/SOE's skeleton crew, and keep in mind, unless you had an elder account there, each account was limited to two characters per account. At the time, my understanding the reason the game was shutdown was due to Lucasarts not wanting to compete against itself, so SWG was shutdown, and this game launched. That was more or less proven when SWG did shutdown Dec. 15, 2011 and this game was launched either the same day, or the next.

As much as people don't like it, this is business, it's not about Star Wars, it's about making money. That doesn't take away the passion some of the employees and CEO's may have for SW, but it's about making money. As long as this company is making money, it could endure for quite some time.

Edited by Pirana

At the time, my understanding the reason the game was shutdown was due to Lucasarts not wanting to compete against itself, so SWG was shutdown, and this game launched. /COLOR]

This is still the dumbest reason ever. How do you compete against yourself?...Like...what? They'd make money regardless.

This is still the dumbest reason ever. How do you compete against yourself?...Like...what? They'd make money regardless.

No idea, but there were numerous reports as that being the main cause as to why SWG was shut down. The way most of us looked at it at the time in SWG was they're making money whether you're subscribed to that game or this one. And if you're subbed to both games, it's a win win. Either way you slice it though, SWG Legends is going strong, I think four years now, with a very heavy population, that's potentially a lot of money lost for SOE.

Bioware if I remember correctly spent around 300 million on this game up to launch and within a year it was free to play, which was never their intention, it was to bring in potential paying customers to help salvage the game, which it ultimately did do. There were countless mistakes by both companies which is unfortunate, because both games have/had arguably the biggest franchise in entertainment history outside of who owns Star Wars now. We'll see what happens with this game down the road. I don't see it closing anytime soon, but who knows...

Not necessarily, MMOs need to maintain a critical mass of players in order to maintain the multiplayer-centric activities. By dividing the player base, you risk losing that.

It should also be noted that SWTOR is far more aggressively monetized. It can make more money per player than SWG ever could.

Not necessarily, MMOs need to maintain a critical mass of players in order to maintain the multiplayer-centric activities. By dividing the player base, you risk losing that.

It should also be noted that SWTOR is far more aggressively monetized. It can make more money per player than SWG ever could.

The first part I tend to agree with to some degree, although that's debatable. The second part, remember, this game's Cartel Market wasn't released until almost a full year after launch, sometime around when free to play was launched. It might have even been the same update. A smart marketing decision, something they recognized early on. It's also something SWG could have implemented and ultimately would have knowing how SOE works. With all that though, I think it was SWG's time one way or another. The game had been through far too much over the years, notably with the CU and the NGE. Of course looking at the emulator's out there, especially with two of them, SOE would still be pulling in a quite a bit money.

Edited by Pirana

No, they won't axe anything. Onslaught has been quite a success as it brought back a large amount of players and managed to retain them. People have expressed very positive opinions on the expansion (barring the obvious issues with bugs and crafting of course). On top of that, during the last Shareholders meeting EA held they reported that SWTOR had made them over 1 billion dollars in revenue and that they like such businesses and plan to continue them. There is absolutely no reason to believe that SWTOR is going to be axed anytime soon, so quit your doomsaying already. I've been hearing that SWTOR is about to die since the 25th of November 2012 and here we are in 2019, kriffin' seven years later with non-stop useless doomsaying going on, on these forums and the game is still around and doing fine. Edited by Ylliarus

I mean I guess, but both games are(or were in SWG case) extremely different both timeline and gameplay mechanic wise. But I guess I see the issue of people trying to support 2 games with a fee each month.