Announcing ‘Onslaught’, the Newest Expansion Coming to Star Wars™: The Old Republic™

DanielSteed

I'm wondering with the new level cap that is to be introduced is it time to say goodbye to cxp or will you have to complete the 300 levels within it before you get to tackle level 71 like an almighty speed bump on your road to leveling up?

My hunch is they retool the CXP system to sync with the new level cap. So instead of 230/236/242/248 gear it’ll become 258/262/266/270 gear. Once they got the bugs worked out by having the means to convert unwanted drops into currency to buy things you did want, the CXP system was actually reasonably solid for an endgame gearing system that allows everyone to eventually gain BiS gear by various means.

This may involve resetting all Command Ranks back to 0 though (since the new tier-1 drops will actually be better than the current tier-4 drops) and converting ICs to a new currency type to prevent instant BiS gearing (ex. shortly before Ossus came out I used a huge quantity of UCs I had banked to just buy a 248 mainhand for a fresh 70 toon... they really don’t want people to snag the new BiS gear on the first hour of the expansion simply by having a bunch of resources banked from old content), but that’s been the case with pretty much every level-cap increase so no reason to think it’d be any different this time.

My expectation is that they’ll keep the basic command tokens as is so people can easily buy in on the new tier-1 gear and then have a new currency in place of UCs that drops from disintegrating the command crate drop items so you can buy up the higher tier items you don’t get as drops.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will we be getting more old companions back IE Kira, Rishi etc

Risha is already back. We are missing Kira, Scourge, Tharan and Zenith. Possibly Khem-Zash. I'd like to get Vic back, but I don't think that's likely.

I wish they'd put all of the class restricted ones on the terminal. The idea was brought up when they first stared doing class limited alerts. Eric said he'd bring the idea to the team, but he never got back to us the players.

Risha is already back. We are missing Kira, Scourge, Tharan and Zenith. Possibly Khem-Zash. I'd like to get Vic back, but I don't think that's likely.

I wish they'd put all of the class restricted ones on the terminal. The idea was brought up when they first stared doing class limited alerts. Eric said he'd bring the idea to the team, but he never got back to us the players.

Khem Vale is back, my Inquisitor found him in the jedi siege

New skills for new level cap is A-OK!

What I really would love to see (need to see) is a skill squish please!!! At the very least, it looks like it'd be quite simple to just have proficiency skills replace base class skills. For example, on my Vigilance Guardian there is no reason to use Slash in my rotation once Overhead Slash is given. It's even in the name! Just replace Slash!

I do not mind having more skills/skillbars than ESO or GW2 (or WoW at this point) but please, snipping off redundancies and making the bars cleaner and easier to navigate is needed.

Please look at the gearing system in multiple ways. So far in Swtor we had gearing systems from Operations, PVP with expertise, Command Boxes, and now weekly missions. I honestly dont thing any of these ways to get gear is all that bad. The issue is when you only make it one way. I would suggest making every way possible to grind. Does that mean players will get gear faster? Sure but honestly who cares. It might slow down player to only have one system but the trade off is players enjoying the way they acquire gear. I would put in a gearing system that allows top end gear come from operations, pvp, and command crates. If you want to put in a weekly mission to make players go to your new planet that is fine too. But a lot of different ways is the key. Also please dont put in different gear for PVP and PVE. Making players who enjoy both aspects gearing two sets is painful.

All I want is to acquire gear that is BIS for PVP by doing WARZONES, NOT PVE grinds. If that means bringing back pvp gear then so be it. Flame me if you wish but the gearing system just prior to Jedi Under Siege was the best gearing system to date.

the CXP system was actually reasonably solid for an endgame gearing system that allows everyone to eventually gain BiS gear by various means.

Keyword: WAS

I do NOT wish to obtain PVP gear by doing PVE things.

Every gear system you implement made it worse than before.

What was wrong with the about the gearing system just prior to Jedi Under Siege??? You could be rewarded for doing content that you personally found satisfying and were not forced to do PVE daily grinds. If anything I think the Ossus grind for gear is the worst system to date.

Please look at the gearing system in multiple ways. So far in Swtor we had gearing systems from Operations, PVP with expertise, Command Boxes, and now weekly missions. I honestly dont thing any of these ways to get gear is all that bad. The issue is when you only make it one way. I would suggest making every way possible to grind. Does that mean players will get gear faster? Sure but honestly who cares. It might slow down player to only have one system but the trade off is players enjoying the way they acquire gear. I would put in a gearing system that allows top end gear come from operations, pvp, and command crates. If you want to put in a weekly mission to make players go to your new planet that is fine too. But a lot of different ways is the key. Also please dont put in different gear for PVP and PVE. Making players who enjoy both aspects gearing two sets is painful.

Well said Resputin

Also increase frame rate in warzones.

Edited by Tonguepunch

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Will we be getting a cinematic trailer to go along with the onslaught expansion?

To be honest I do not care about a cinematic aslong as the expansion is awesome.

I think those cinematics are real expensive to do

Did you play that part with your inquisitor who had picked that option? What happened, did you just get "normal" Khem, or you didn't get him at all?

no if you chose to have zash take over khems body then khem becomes your enemy during the nathema battle with zildrog and he dies for good because he is used for fuel

I'm thrilled about the new expansion and look forward to more story. But five more levels? Many games are realizing that continually adding more levels to cap, is a trap that makes the game more daunting to new players. Even games like WoW are now looking into reversing that. Better gear? Sure? New skills to master? Why not. But having to grind five more levels seems like an unnecessary "hoop" to jump through these days.

But as for the extra story and new planets, bravo :) I hope this means the remaining companions will be back as well.

What grind? I have level 70 characters still in chapter 2 of their class story line. All of mu latest batch of new characters (altoholic) are well above the level of the planets they are on. I have never cared about the best armor. I don't do ops.

I don't want to sound critical, been playing since six months after game first released still off/on.

I want to thank everyone at Bioware/EA for all the years of fun and fond memories I've had.

I've made a few suggestions over the years, like adding a Find Available Guild Database on GTN terminal,

which for some reason was rejected.

Anyways just my two cents about Lore?

Mek sha ? Really? Somehow I don't feel immersed in the genuine Star Wars lore?

Following is a transcript one day at Bioware offices;(Warning I have a sense of Humor)

Phil: Hey Pete, I'm getting tired holding down number 1 key to artificially create lag on this server to

make it look like there are millions of people online.

Pete: Yah, me too, wanna go to Micky D's and get a Milk Shake?

Phil: A "Mek Sha?"

Pete: NO, I said Milk Shake not Mek Sha......no wait, maybe we can use that?

Hey, I just thought of new name for a Swtor location! Why not call it Mek Sha?

Phil: Yeah,good idea! Sounds kinda foreign, like Hong Kong or something, other worldly stuff.

Nobody's ever been there right?

Pete: Yeah, they'll never know its not part of real Star Wars Lore!

There is thousands of Star Wars lore locations, why not pick one of them?

Thanks.

I don't want to sound critical, been playing since six months after game first released still off/on.

I want to thank everyone at Bioware/EA for all the years of fun and fond memories I've had.

I've made a few suggestions over the years, like adding a Find Available Guild Database on GTN terminal,

which for some reason was rejected.

Anyways just my two cents about Lore?

Mek sha ? Really? Somehow I don't feel immersed in the genuine Star Wars lore?

Following is a transcript one day at Bioware offices;(Warning I have a sense of Humor)

Phil: Hey Pete, I'm getting tired holding down number 1 key to artificially create lag on this server to

make it look like there are millions of people online.

Pete: Yah, me too, wanna go to Micky D's and get a Milk Shake?

Phil: A "Mek Sha?"

Pete: NO, I said Milk Shake not Mek Sha......no wait, maybe we can use that?

Hey, I just thought of new name for a Swtor location! Why not call it Mek Sha?

Phil: Yeah,good idea! Sounds kinda foreign, like Hong Kong or something, other worldly stuff.

Nobody's ever been there right?

Pete: Yeah, they'll never know its not part of real Star Wars Lore!

There is thousands of Star Wars lore locations, why not pick one of them?

Thanks.

Let the developers explore their own planets.

• 3 weeks later...
Today we are happy to announce our next expansion - Star Wars: The Old Republic: Onslaught! The expansion will launch free for all subscribers this September. New planets, flashpoint, Operation, large itemization changes codenamed “The Spoils of War” and more will be featured in this expansion! You can learn all about Onslaught in our Expansion Announcement article, here.

In honor of our Celebration Cantina we are sharing with everyone a redeemable code: SWCELEBRATION19. Simply redeem that code on your account for a Celebration inspired character flair and four stronghold decorations.

What is everyone excited for?

I'm excited for the PTS, oh wait at this time we should all say PTSD since that is what you have gave us over the years by not being able to keep your promisses. It was said that by late June (MUSCO) we would have access to PTS(D), but so far it will most likely be available in August, if that ever happens.

Using excited is not a term a good slice of swtor players feel when we have news from you ppl.... We are just happy you ppl don't screw over what has been being screwed over since 2014

I'm excited for the PTS, oh wait at this time we should all say PTSD since that is what you have gave us over the years by not being able to keep your promisses. It was said that by late June (MUSCO) we would have access to PTS(D), but so far it will most likely be available in August, if that ever happens.

Using excited is not a term a good slice of swtor players feel when we have news from you ppl.... We are just happy you ppl don't screw over what has been being screwed over since 2014

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=9746470&postcount=8

Cry moar

• 2 weeks later...
Oof. Guys, I love you, and have been a sub for a few years, but...my excitement about the upcoming expansion has been dampened a bit by the "new" graphic for it on the launcher. Like, I'm reasonably sure most regular players will recognize that it is a weird, bad composite of better graphics previously seen on the launcher and load screens. It looks like really dreadful fanart. I don't mean to harp on what (I hope) is an issue that won't affect the game as a whole, just...if I had started a FTP account today (which I how I initially started) that graphic would have convinced me not to sub. Show us some nice concept art or something if your artists are overwhelmed, yeah? Or even just a screen of a landscape is preferable!

Oof. Guys, I love you, and have been a sub for a few years, but...my excitement about the upcoming expansion has been dampened a bit by the "new" graphic for it on the launcher. Like, I'm reasonably sure most regular players will recognize that it is a weird, bad composite of better graphics previously seen on the launcher and load screens. It looks like really dreadful fanart. I don't mean to harp on what (I hope) is an issue that won't affect the game as a whole, just...if I had started a FTP account today (which I how I initially started) that graphic would have convinced me not to sub. Show us some nice concept art or something if your artists are overwhelmed, yeah? Or even just a screen of a landscape is preferable!

I doubt it'll affect the game that negatively. And I love the new keyart, all I wish is that they had made Tau's face a bit rougher on the edges to better reflect her in-game model. But other than that its a pretty good keyart.

• 2 weeks later...
Very exiting, as a long time fan and player I'm happy to see this game alive and well. My advice is to stop adding in so many new companions, and just work with what you have. Have the old companions be integral to the story, like some were in KOTFE, that way all of your player base with different mains, get some love.

Today we are happy to announce our next expansion - Star Wars: The Old Republic: Onslaught! The expansion will launch free for all subscribers this September. New planets, flashpoint, Operation, large itemization changes codenamed “The Spoils of War” and more will be featured in this expansion! You can learn all about Onslaught in our Expansion Announcement article, here.

In honor of our Celebration Cantina we are sharing with everyone a redeemable code: SWCELEBRATION19. Simply redeem that code on your account for a Celebration inspired character flair and four stronghold decorations.

What is everyone excited for?

Start of September or end? im a returning player and currently re gearing and any idea of time-frame in September would be great