January 5th Livestream Wrap-up

EricMusco

You can't disagree with me silly...I don't know you Casi :) I said "I don't know anyone", not that nobody liked them...but of all the people I know in-game, I do not know a single person who enjoys them. Not ONE. On the forums, there's always someone who will say they do...and for 2-player content, I can see their allure to you two...I just don't play with any 2-player groups. ;)

I agree with your assesssment. I usually solo or group with only one other person. We did some Uprisings, none more than once. Boring as hell. Not interested in them in the least.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have played two Uprisings so far. Both in SM. My main is a commando medic which I have played almost since the beginning of this game. I have healed my groups through HM operations without issues. I'm very good at my class.

In both these Uprisings, my peeps died like flies. It was ridiculous. Their health bar went from 100% to 0 within very few seconds. While my heals were channeling, they were already dead. I didn't understand what is happening, but I could see that no one moved out of stupid, did any CCing, interrupting, cleansing and whatnot. Probably bad gear as well.

My perception of these two Uprisings was so disastrous that I couldn't make myself queue for one more ever since. And that was in the first week after 5.0. Maybe I was just unlucky. But well, my excitement about those new uprisings is immense. :p

That said, I still don't mind the new command system. I never cared about gearing up. I can do all content I nowadays play nekkid. Both me, and my chars. :D

My boyfriend and I did two uprising. One went great as the people knew what they were doing. The second one, took forever as the two dps were ungeared and didn't know what to do. I even had to tell them look if you want me to heal you have to keep the adds off me. My boyfriend actually told them to stay out of the circles. Lucky for them he was in a good mood and told them that instead of "stay out of stupid circles" Finally one quit and we got a replacement and we were able to complete the uprising.

Lets be realistic about group content, another operation and warzone map isn't going to magically save this game. Sad truth is that other games do it better.

Take PvP, aside from the horrible class balance, win trading, hacking/cheating and often as not being grouped with a team that just doesn't have the right balance so it will never win no matter how hard people try; its 15 minute point scoring exercise. There is no persistence to anything you do soon as the final whistle goes its reset and you might be fighting against people you were just fighting with in another meaningless battle. There is no open world element and if you replaced the fleet for a chat lobby it wouldn't be too dislike what a lot of single player games offer, if you just took the PvP side you wouldn't know this was an MMO. So is another proving ground really going to get serious PvPers to flock back as Star Wars The Old Republic makes it mark on the PvP scene. Going to give up attemping to become Emperor in Elder Scrolls Online or battling over castles and towns in an open world persistent environment to have Lana cheer you on or some Hutt be entertaining by rolling across a touch line?

Likewise with operations, is one new 4 or 5 boss operation going to make playing all the other ops a must do experience after you have been locked out of it for the week. After all the new content Legion has offered in WoW does anyone really think that one new operation with a few new bosses (with only the last one offering 100% chance of some loot) will lure people back for the next year. I think it more likely people will chalk it up to a good start, now give me a call when there is stuff to do after I'm locked out.

What this game offers that others don't is Story, Cinematic and to some degree companions, though this was far more when they were companions and less so since they have been relegated to a stable of pets as other games do offer pet classes. If you want your fix of Star Wars Story Telling (though lately its debatable if its really star wars or some sort of Mass Effect bastardization) this is the only place you can get it. Story is what ToR offered that the others didn't so it appeals to people that want Story. So suggesting the game would be vastly improved by adding another warzone is unlikely to make it stand out from other MMO's that offer open world PvP as well as warzone style options.

Though I think it unlikely anything said on the forums will have much effect, If there were any plans to introduce new and better PvP they wouldn't need to be offering un-assembled gear parts to it. If it was going to be getting a major update the revamped open world persistent PvP would offer plenty of intensive to PvP players to participate without needing to increase the rewards to make it more appealing to people. The same goes with operations, if we were going to get new operations then the lure of new content with new achievements would be the lure to get people to play ops, they wouldn't be needing to offer un-assembled gear and more CXP to get people to play them.

BioWare's huge mistake was not adding real endgame content with the story stuff. Too little too late for many sadly.

Yep. All they had to do was use the resources they wasted on GC to make some new OPs, and re-tune 4.0 gearing to slow down the rate of gear acquisition.

I have some questions regarding the pvp gearing progression.

I understand that Unassembled Components become Unassembled Gear Pieces (via a vendor) and that UGP + Command Tokens = Gear Piece. But will we have to keep the prior gear tier shells (like it has always been) and turn those in to get the next tier? So, if we get a 230 chest piece, we can pull armor / mod / enh but keep the chest shell in order to turn in for the next piece? Does this mean that since I didn't keep the shells that I have earned via GC, I will have to start from scratch and get the same pieces all over again in order to get the shells that I sold to vendors (after pulling armor / mod / enh)? :cries:

How many tiers will there be? Will the progression be 230>236>242 or does it include all of 230>234>236>240>242?

Naturally, we all want to know numbers for how many Components and Tokens required to get a given gear piece. I understand y'all are still figuring that out.

Thanks!

Oh, please, no! Why are they making this so complicated? :t_confused:

This is a big part of their problem when they make a mistake. They can't simply roll anything back. They have to take something that nobody wanted and add more parts that nobody wants.

Of course, as we all know, this is all done to keep us playing when they have no real content planned for the next year.

This team is absolutely pathetic in what they are willing to do for this game. I would be utterly embarrassed to be in charge of this mess. :t_evil:

Edited by AlienEyeTX

I appreciate the near one month long Life Day event as I am one who enjoys Christmas leftovers well into January.

Also looking forward to legacy tokens so I can get a complete Lightside Gold Enforcer gear to go along with Darkside Purp Gear

Edited by jimmorrisson

I am very concerned with Master difficulty being added to the chapters without taking a look at the tuning on Veteran. Some NPCs actually have one shot mechanics already (i am looking at you champion walkers, even when youre IN a walker yourself - when they charge their big attack, which you cant interrupt cause youre, ya know, in a walker without an interrupt, it nails yours for 350k, which is nearly oneshot, youve already lost if it gets its off before you get yours off, which btw only does about 120k back, yeah thats fair...)

My worry is that this will make some of the chapters uncompletable for even a solid player in good gear. Hell go do Chap 2 KotFE on Veteran for a taste of one of the EASIER vet chapters to get a feel for how overtuned some of the bosses already are. The bosses are bad enough, but even a basic non-strong NPC hits for 20k, at mastery we are talking probably half health bars with each shot, thats just madness.

So yeah, mixed feelings here, only a handful of specs are able to complete all 25 chaps at veteran, albeit with a lot of struggle for even some of those, I fear Mastery will gate all but the super sustainy range specs and leave others out to wash, especially melee DPS specs. The last thing you wanna be in the above example (the veteran level monolith) is in melee range cause youre dead in about 4 seconds to its basic swipes alone... and youre adding another level of "higher hp higher damage"?

Edited by rylanadionysis

All KOTET content suffers from difficulty spikes.

Either bad design or simply the lack of playtesting, but KOTET Chapters and Uprisings both have insanely varied damage coming from enemies. Sometimes trash mobs give you trouble right before you easily take on a boss. Damage comes in spikes, especially in Uprisings. It is basically as if the difficulty kept jumping between story and hard modes all on its own.

Oddly, this was never the problem with KOTFE which is otherwise very similar. No idea why this is, maybe there was not enough testing done.

Really good example - first boss of Crimson will hit you randomly for 40k, out of nowhere even if youre not its target and not standing in stupid... as a healer, i see it happen all the time. Also, another really good example were the twin droids in the same uprising before they nerfed it 2 weeks ago. You legit had to have two HM class healers to handle them, they would do over 20k DPS to one target virtually all the way through the fight. It was ridiculous.

Dont even get me started on the bug that happens if you hit level 70 mid chapter (hint - the chapter locks to veteran difficulty for the remainder unless you completely restart it, happened to me in chapter 8, the vaylin fight was an absolute nightmare)

Edited by rylanadionysis

The new system to "Improve" Galactic Command is even more complex than the old system you intended to replace for its complexity.

The entire ordeal can be solved by simply making ops guarentee unassembled token drops from each boss like it has been since the game launched, and simply having galactic command an available way to acquire gear for those who don't enjoy doing operations. Coupled with buffs to GCXP payouts from PvP and GSF, as well as solo content, this would be the ideal solution.

~ Eudoxia

There not listening they replaced system that was not complex or confusing with something way more complex and confusing and infuriating, cause "THEY" thought the original system was confusing and complex? Maybe in there smoked up and high as kite brains it was..... I really want to know what BW is smoking to be this delusional that they think any of this was good idea. I could use such thing to make me forget some things.

Edited by Kyuuu

Here's what we learned for certain. They know there is great hate for rng, but they don't care enough to deal with it. They want rng and will keep it even if they know its hated by some number of players (no going to assume numbers I can't back up). So did they hear us? Yes they know what we need them to.

We know they heard our hate for rng just by the number of times it was brought up when it wasn't the topic they wanted to be discussing. So they know our feelings on the topic, they know some of us think the system isn't worth fixing. They know some number of us don't want anything to do with rng. They know we don't think much of their coming "fixes" in 5.1. They know, but they just don't care.

So they want more feedback? Well you've fooled me enough. You have all the feedback you need. You know what is wanted. You, the dev, team just refuses to actually act on what you know. Saying you open to feedback is really insulting when we can see for ourselves you don't care what we want.

Hey but those who hate rng aren't alone. They also are very aware we want our companions back, but again it doesn't mean enough to them to resolve that issue either. They know we only started playing UPRisings when they made them the unltimate method for cxp, they know this. Thus they also know we really dont like them except as a grinding method.

So they are very aware of what we want. Not just for rng but for many topics. They just don't care what we want.

I think it was a little less frustrating when they appeared to just not be listening. At least then we might encourage change with posts. Now we know they are aware of what we want. They just don't care is the issue. And I'm not sure how posting anything will change that.

/signed

That stream was an utter disappointment. The community is in an uproar due to Galactic Command and you choose to ignore it. The 5.1 changes won't even come close to fixing it. :(

Here's the thread with concerns from Jedi Covenant: SWTOR forums / Reddit (since you wrote in stream chat that you haven't seen it, even though it's been in top place both on Reddit and in GD)

I completely agree with this.

A lot more needs to be done. There are so many good and workable suggestions out there. One main one I have seen that would help is bringing back the guaranteed unassembled token drops from each boss as it has been in the past, prior 5.0.

What is happening to the game, and has happened to our guild / community has been sad to watch as player after player leaves. Many of my friends and guild members have stated they left, or are leaving, due to the changes and the fact that BioWare is ignoring so much of the player base, along with the frustration with constant bugs that do not seem to get fixed. (They like the game, just not what BioWare has done to it)

I don't understand the changes from any stand point. It isn't good as a business model or for the community. All the negative focus, the numerous paying subscribers quitting, lost players not buying cartel coins, and lower server count making it difficult to do some group content and on some servers impossible.

Many of our guild members (paying subscribers), casual members as well as our raid team members, participated in many aspects of the game. They also bought cartel coins, hypercrates, etc. And now sadly, a huge number of them are gone from the game due to all of the changes, with more stating they are leaving. :(

It just makes no sense why these issues have been ignored.

Edited by NaiadL

Personally, I'll see what this update does for the game before making any final decisions about whether to uninstall or not. My sub dropped a few days ago and I am having fun in Final Fantasy 14 at the moment, so I can go either way I suppose. First time in years I have let my sub drop. Feels weird, almost like I am missing a part of myself. Oh well. I'll get over it.

My sub dropped a few days ago and I am having fun in Final Fantasy 14 at the moment, so I can go either way I suppose. First time in years I have let my sub drop. Feels weird, almost like I am missing a part of myself. Oh well. I'll get over it.

Yup you will. Ive been coming and going from this game lately (mostly for story as im a SW fan) but I stayed unsubbed for around two years after I moved to FF14. FF14 has amazing endgame and, even better, regularly released endgame. A small FF14 patch has more content than a SWTOR expansion.

Edited by Radzkie

I see nothing here to entice me to renew my subscription.

5 "new" uprisings? In addition to the 6 we already have? Please tell me more about not having any resources for operations.

But nobody plays operations .... except my guild .... which 75% quit (including myself) because of being sick of no content.

I think 5.1 is a joke as well. MORE RNG FOR THE WIN.

Any news regarding a potential 2017 dev roadmap? I'd seriously love to see a new PvP map or 2 this year, along with some new PvE group content.

Dev roadmap? You think they have one beyond more uprisings forced down our throats, and ignoring all feedback from players? I heard a rumor that there would be more proving grounds, but since I hated the first one, I'll probably feel the same about the next one. If they are going to have more PvP maps, I'd prefer more like Void Star. I've always liked that one, reminded me of the assault maps on UT2k4 which I enjoyed. But, since I like it, they probably won't make any more like that.

here is a recap of the changes to gearing in galactic command:

• new currency: Command tokens
    • they are earned from command crates
    • command tokens are legacy wide
    • we will retroactively grant command tokens

thanks everyone!

-eric

Do you also consider players with rank 300, that already got some crates after reaching max level? So, will they get tokens from just 300 crates, or from every crate they got after reaching max level too?

Just asking, because I entered 300 last night and don't want to grind for nearly nothing.

Edited by Exocor

Dev roadmap? You think they have one beyond more uprisings forced down our throats, and ignoring all feedback from players? I heard a rumor that there would be more proving grounds, but since I hated the first one, I'll probably feel the same about the next one. If they are going to have more PvP maps, I'd prefer more like Void Star. I've always liked that one, reminded me of the assault maps on UT2k4 which I enjoyed. But, since I like it, they probably won't make any more like that.

Well we'll see this week with their next January stream if we are truly being ignored or not. I'd certainly like to think not.

I think a dev roadmap is very important. Wasn't there one for 2013 and 2014 (can't say if there was one for 2015 and 2016 since I was gone around that time)? It gives the playerbase a general timeline of what type of content devs are going to focus on during the whole year and when. We could get PvE content in the summer/fall and PvP content in the fall/winter, or vice-versa.

It's crucial the devs start communicating with us again and especially show they do understand our concerns or frustrations. The studio doesn't have a really good track record of communication and that's something that desperately needs to change.

Edited by Talon_strikes

It's crucial the devs start communicating with us again and especially show they do understand our concerns or frustrations. The studio doesn't have a really good track record of communication and that's something that desperately needs to change.

While they will likely never win praise as good communicators with the players, I do not agree with your statement that they do not understand player concerns of frustrations. I think they do, and they do echo them back to the players via the forum (they did so this last week in fact). It's clear they understand what is being expressed, but they have a different measure and responsibility as the studio with respect to what they do and do not do with their game.

I may not agree with them on everything (in fact, I don't), but I do understand that MMOs are provided "as is" and it is up to each player to decide if what is offered is fun and meets the players requirements. Discussion over the years in this forum has demonstrated that even players that agree on one thing, do not agree on other things, and hence discussions quickly degrade into conflicting viewpoints and content faction wars between players (particularly among those who feel they are justified in their frustrations) yet they cannot agree amongst themselves and provide any coherent and unified voice. So there is no unified voice from players in this MMO, or any MMO to be honest. There is sometimes unified uprising... like the current popular meme in the forum that Ben is bad and ben must be fired. It's a silly and immature approach in my view. As if firing Ben would actually change anything. :rolleyes:

But I do think that players mistake "understanding" with "agreeing, and acting". Not every player frustration or idea is valid in the context of the game and it's wider community of players. I acknowledge that it may be extremely valid and important to the player complaining.. but that does not automatically equal the studio needing to agree and act accordingly.

Edited by Andryah

Well we'll see this week with their next January stream if we are truly being ignored or not. I'd certainly like to think not.

I think a dev roadmap is very important. Wasn't there one for 2013 and 2014 (can't say if there was one for 2015 and 2016 since I was gone around that time)? It gives the playerbase a general timeline of what type of content devs are going to focus on during the whole year and when. We could get PvE content in the summer/fall and PvP content in the fall/winter, or vice-versa.

I see this kind of post quite a bit, so it's not just to you personally but all the posts like it. You say "I think a dev roadmap is very important." And then you say, "Wasn't there one for 2013 and 2014 (can't say if there was one for 2015 and 2016 since I was gone around that time)?" So, if it's so critical, why can't you recall the information?

What I mean is, why is it so important? Either you like the current game, or you don't. If you like the game enough, you pay the sub fee. If you don't, you either go F2P or stop playing. Why would you play a game you don't like because the developers promise that in the future they will work on stuff you care about? Why wouldn't you just start playing the game when they release what you want?

And then the classic complaint "The studio doesn't have a really good track record of communication." How many livestreams do you need? What you probably mean is that they don't say what you want them to say or don't comment on stuff you think is important. Well, let me help you with that: they can't because it's not finalized, and what do you want them to do? Say that they might do something and then not do it? You guys would go crazy. The other possibility is that they aren't commenting on what you want to hear on purpose. In other words, if you think they are purposefully ignoring you, you might be right. If you are being purposefully ignored, that means what you want to talk about is so unimportant that it doesn't merit a response. So, you in effect have your answer.

So, this whole "we need communication" is just a fig leaf to hide behind. Why does what the developers say or think actually affect your happiness so much in the present? Because you have this need to be cool and say in chat that you were playing the game BEFORE the cool stuff came along and you were down with the struggle? I don't get it. When I go out to eat and order some food and it comes back bad, I don't wonder what the cook is going to do in the future and if he tells me that he's going to cook something different in the future, I start to enjoy his bad food more? How about I stop going there and just wait for the new stuff? But I guess you'd go back and keep eating the bad food because you know the chef knows and that in the future they plan to do something different. Doesn't that sound odd?