Petition to get Mara Jade back

Captain_Zone

Let's get our Mara back! Hasn't Luke been through enough already? The poor guy gets no play in the movies except for his sister kissing him on Hoth.

Then he meets Mara Jade, and sparks are flyin'! Granted, she has an overwhelming urge to kill him, but there have been a lot of relationships that start out that way. Still, the poor dude lives pretty much as a monk through most of the books as well as the movies.

The Truce at Bakura: Had potential, but her religion of complete balance - probably very close to Zen Buddhism - forbade her from marrying a Jedi.

The Heir trilogy: Mara arrives! And she's GORGEOUS!

Skip forward about 10 or so years, and Mara and Luke FINALLY hook up! After a lot of adventures, they get married, and have a kid. W00t! Luke is finally happy!

Then the dark times.... The demon known as Karen Traviss comes along and says "Nope. Can't let Luke be happy! Must figure out a way to... I know! I'll kill off his honey! For no apparent reason whatsoever! Herp derp derpity derp!"

How about we sign on to make that demon's actions go out the window?

Get Karen Traviss's work retconned out of existence!

/signed

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Weren't there other books though done by other authors, that state Mara is dead and she comes back as a force ghost or something? So you'd also have to retconn all those books to.

Only in response to Karen being a ***** and killing her off in the first place.

While I wholly agree that the death was unnecessary and poorly written (I actually wouldn't mind it if there was a reason for the death), I feel like her being brought back to life after seeing her as a ghost would make it even more ridiculous. Almost as ridiculous as Troy Denning's alternate ending to Invincible where they went back in time and got Anakin Solo back ;P

While I wholly agree that the death was unnecessary and poorly written (I actually wouldn't mind it if there was a reason for the death), I feel like her being brought back to life after seeing her as a ghost would make it even more ridiculous. Almost as ridiculous as Troy Denning's alternate ending to Invincible where they went back in time and got Anakin Solo back ;P

It's Star Wars. Anything is possible, imo.

Let's get our Mara back! Hasn't Luke been through enough already? The poor guy gets no play in the movies except for his sister kissing him on Hoth.

Then he meets Mara Jade, and sparks are flyin'! Granted, she has an overwhelming urge to kill him, but there have been a lot of relationships that start out that way. Still, the poor dude lives pretty much as a monk through most of the books as well as the movies.

The Truce at Bakura: Had potential, but her religion of complete balance - probably very close to Zen Buddhism - forbade her from marrying a Jedi.

The Heir trilogy: Mara arrives! And she's GORGEOUS!

Skip forward about 10 or so years, and Mara and Luke FINALLY hook up! After a lot of adventures, they get married, and have a kid. W00t! Luke is finally happy!

Then the dark times.... The demon known as Karen Traviss comes along and says "Nope. Can't let Luke be happy! Must figure out a way to... I know! I'll kill off his honey! For no apparent reason whatsoever! Herp derp derpity derp!"

How about we sign on to make that demon's actions go out the window?

Get Karen Traviss's work retconned out of existence!

/signed

mara is dead, cadeus killed her.

Deal.

I am a huge Mara Jade fan. I loved her ever since I first read Heir to the Empire. I was deeply saddend when she was killed in the Legacy novel Sacrifice. I was also mad because I had seen that coming. I believe it was near the end of Tempest when Jacen said he was going to have to sacrifice somebody in the family. There were only two characters that would have made sense...Leia or Mara. I knew Lucas would not allow Leia to be killed off yet, however. That left Mara. So when Sacrifice was released and I saw Mara on the cover I knew I was right and I hated it.

All that said, Mara Jade is dead and I have come to accept that. SHe is not going to return to life no matter how much we want her back. To do so would mean rewriting half the Legacy and the ENTIRE Fate series of novels as well as others that have mentioned the death of Mara Jade Skywalker. I'm sorry, but I cannot support your petition, no matter how much I would love to have our bad-assed redhead back.

Edited by Kilikaa

All the Mara haters need not reply. Thank you, and have fun trolling elsewhere.

Seriously, though. Why not? Why not bring her back? Lucas is known for his inconsistencies and rewrites. Might as well get some good out of the whole mess.

Or, if she is to remain dead, at least make her death mean something! No good came of it. Jacen/Caedus whatever just decided to kill her because Karen Traviss is a jealous **** who decided to kill off most guys' Perfect Star Wars Hottie. :p

All the Mara haters need not reply. Thank you, and have fun trolling elsewhere.

Seriously, though. Why not? Why not bring her back? Lucas is known for his inconsistencies and rewrites. Might as well get some good out of the whole mess.

Or, if she is to remain dead, at least make her death mean something! No good came of it. Jacen/Caedus whatever just decided to kill her because Karen Traviss is a jealous **** who decided to kill off most guys' Perfect Star Wars Hottie. :p

Lol, trolling because I disagree with what you say? Honestly, shes hot and all, but I think she was a bit of a boring character. Derp Im an Emperors Hand, now Im in love with the savior of the Force.

I wasn't too happy with Mara Jade being killed off, but in all honesty I was more upset with them killing off Anakin Solo in Star by Star.

Granted Jacen's going Sith probably would have ended a lot sooner with Anakin beating the crud out of his older brother, but then Darth Caedus was extremely annoying.

Anakin often seemed like he was on the Autistic Spectrum and so I could kinda relate to the charecter.

Point being Mara Jade isn't likely to come back, nor is Anakin Solo.

I am a huge Mara Jade fan. I loved her ever since I first read Heir to the Empire. I was deeply saddend when she was killed in the Legacy novel Sacrifice. I was also mad because I had seen that coming. I believe it was near the end of Tempest when Jacen said he was going to have to sacrifice somebody in the family. There were only two characters that would have made sense...Leia or Mara. I knew Lucas would not allow Leia to be killed off yet, however. That left Mara. So when Sacrifice was released and I saw Mara on the cover I knew I was right and I hated it.

All that said, Mara Jade is dead and I have come to accept that. SHe is not going to return to life no matter how much we want her back. To do so would mean rewriting half the Legacy and the ENTIRE Fate series of novels as well as others that have mentioned the death of Mara Jade Skywalker. I'm sorry, but I cannot support your petition, no matter how much I would love to have our bad-assed redhead back.

There are ways that she could come back.

I could outline a way to do it. One that would make sense.

Outline of how to make Mara's resurrection work:

Spoilers regarding the last FotJ book contained, and needed, to make this work.

At the end of Fate of the Jedi: Apocalypse Luke Skywalker and an as-of-yet unnamed Dark Sider team up in the purgatory between worlds to take on Abeloth. The pair are nearly evenly matched and together manage to overpower and destroy, for now, the being known as Abeloth.

This Dark Sider saw Luke and Mara, he obviously knows about Mara and Luke's love. More importantly he knows about Dream Walking and he knows where Mara is.

So, here is the set up...

This unnamed Force User plans on taking on Luke Skywalker, or he plans on doing something that he doesn't want Skywalker interfering with. He knows the best way to throw off Skywalker is with family, as was shown when he fell to pieces over Mara in Legacy of the Force. So he does something that can only be described as evil...

He clones the wife of Luke Skywalker, the mother of Ben Skywalker, but leaves her new self a mindless empty husk. Then, returns to the place of Mara's rest and takes her, using a rare Dark Side ritual. He returns to the land of the living and forces Mara inside of the empty clone husk.

Mara takes a shuddering breath as she is returned to life, but then her body screams out in pain as the device she awakens in begins to torture her. She has never felt such pain, regardless of her Jedi training her cloned body is fresh, it has not developed the resistance to pain that her previous one did... This of course is done on purpose...

Mara's presence appears in the Force however in a bloom of pain and anguish. This is enough to shock both Ben and Luke from a slumber. They know that this is not a simple dream, and they don't know what to do.

Luke returns to the purgatory and finds Mara missing from there. Jacen Solo's wraith tells him that a Dark Man took her, then admonishes the Jedi Grandmaster for not killing the Dark Sider when they fought Abeloth earlier. Skywalker returns to his body and awakens.

He informs Ben that someone has taken Mara, and that she is suffering and in great pain. The father and son duo set off to find the person who did this and bring him to justice. They face a conundrum however... If Mara has been brought back to life somehow... What will they do...

The pair must embark on a dangerous quest that will test them in ways that they never thought they would be...

Star Wars: LifeQuest

A New Novel by Professor Walsh...

What? ... Oh come on... We have seen stupider explanations for resurrections before.

I'll admit i thought Mara's death was uncalled for, but Mara wont be coming back lol.. Luke Skywalker an Mara are both old characters. That part of Lukes life is over. I think its pretty naive to think George would bring her back. Although now Ben can flow-walk. Im prettly certain when Bens all grown up, after his fathers death. I can truely forsee him flow-walking an asking his father an mother for advice reguarding the next big event.

I was under the impression that Darth Krayt was the unnamed sith.

We don't actually know that. There is a chance that the Legacy Comics will get retconned because they are too restrictive for the Star Wars novels. They interfere with writing stories about Luke Skywalker who is still the most popular character in the EU.

We don't actually know that. There is a chance that the Legacy Comics will get retconned because they are too restrictive for the Star Wars novels. They interfere with writing stories about Luke Skywalker who is still the most popular character in the EU.

True enough. But it was heavily implied, which is good enough for me until something comes along to contradict it.

I think there where a lot he could of killed with in the rule of "you most kill the one you love" Jade was a good chose but there is a long list of ones he loves Sister Jaia Father Hon, mother Liea lover all most wife (blanking on name atm) and he's own kid... but I welling to bet when it came time too kill some one KT got the "luck" of the draw they had a talk with GL the Wright and the publishers that was something like this

how about we kill Luke? GL now wont let you do that

how about we kill Liea GL ya right

how about the kid? publishers no, we wont let you kill any more kids

how about the wife? wrighters no, that make the war bigger then we wont it to be

how about the sister Jana, wrighters/publishers no we can't lose both the bother and sitter

who left too kill

KT lets kill Mara

all ok

lol more or less it was something like that

I think there where a lot he could of killed with in the rule of "you most kill the one you love" Jade was a good chose but there is a long list of ones he loves Sister Jaia Father Hon, mother Liea lover all most wife (blanking on name atm) and he's own kid... but I welling to bet when it came time too kill some one KT got the "luck" of the draw they had a talk with GL the Wright and the publishers that was something like this

how about we kill Luke? GL now wont let you do that

how about we kill Liea GL ya right

how about the kid? publishers no, we wont let you kill any more kids

how about the wife? wrighters no, that make the war bigger then we wont it to be

how about the sister Jana, wrighters/publishers no we can't lose both the bother and sitter

who left too kill

KT lets kill Mara

all ok

lol more or less it was something like that

Erm no. Everyone on the LotF team was against the killing of Mara Jade. Everyone. Heck Karen knew that Timothy Zahn was working on a new Mara Jade novel and didn't even tell him she was going to do it.

Mara Jade wasn't a loved one to Jacen Solo.

Jacen's daughter Allana? She made sense, but he didn't kill her.

Tenel Ka? She made sense, but he didn't kill her.

Heck... Natassi Daala made more sense as a sacrifice than Mara Jade did.

Actually it is rather obvious that the Sith was Darth Krayt, if you read about the guy's description, particularly the tatoos.

Actually it is rather obvious that the Sith was Darth Krayt, if you read about the guy's description, particularly the tatoos.

Oh I'll admit that it definitely could be Krayt. However, like I said, there has been talk of Legacy being retconned out. (Or at least the time in the timeline when it happens being pushed back.) So we can't really confirm it.

This is the whole thing about "what a character says" vs "what we were shown" really.

Oh yes, it is implied that it was Darth Krayt, but it wasn't canonically confirmed that it was Darth Krayt.

Edit:

I do, by the by, support the retconning of Legacy. Once Luke Skywalker dies in the novels, to me, is the day I stop reading Star Wars novels.

220 novels, hundreds of comics, dozens of source books, 6 theatrical movies (7 counting the Clone Wars premier movie), 2 made for TV movies, 1 very bad holiday special, 3 animated TV series (4 counting the Genndy miniseries)... It all ends when Luke does.

The only Star Wars product I don't read religiously? Legacy and the successors. I find Cade Skywalker annoying and I find a Star Wars Galaxy post Luke Skywalker bleak and annoying.

For me... It lives... And it dies... With Luke Skywalker.

Fortunately Lucas Arts agrees with me on that one, so do the sales numbers, novels that don't star Luke, or series where he is marginalized (NJO) tend to do more poorly in sales than books that star Skywalker.

Edited by ProfessorWalsh