PVE AoE Sniper: The Explosive Engineer [Video]

paowee

Aerallos it will be hard to beat your Engi parse without lucky RNG. Took a closer look at it and

15:30:08.980	130s      Scatter Bombs	2068 kinetic	No	Operations Training Dummy
15:30:09.069	131s	Scatter Bombs	2108 kinetic	No	Operations Training Dummy
15:30:09.169	131s	Scatter Bombs	2101 kinetic	No	Operations Training Dummy
15:30:09.326	131s	Scatter Bombs	4159* kinetic	Yes	Operations Training Dummy
15:30:09.376	131s	Scatter Bombs	4150* kinetic	Yes	Operations Training Dummy
15:30:10.276	132s	Scatter Bombs	4187* kinetic	Yes	Operations Training Dummy
15:30:10.373	132s	Scatter Bombs	2065 kinetic	No	Operations Training Dummy
15:30:10.478	132s	Scatter Bombs	2074 kinetic	No	Operations Training Dummy
15:30:10.639	132s	Flyby                7876* elemental	Yes	Operations Training Dummy
15:30:10.640	132s	Scatter Bombs	2100 kinetic	No	Operations Training Dummy
15:30:10.695	132s	Scatter Bombs	4018* kinetic	Yes  Operations Training Dummy

4 Scatter Bombs and 1 Flyby crit with Power Surge/Boost buff. 22,320 damage in 2 seconds lol. Also this was using the double 2-pc PVP bonus. I thought they patched it out sometime ago does anyone know?

Yeah, it was patched out as noted above. After they fixed the double stacking of 2 piece bonuses, I did another set of parses with just a 2 piece PvP bonus and got very similar results here with 3412 DPS. That is per the Harbinger's rules so the beginning is clipped as well, but it's only about 25 DPS below my previous best (3437 DPS) with the double stacking 2 piece bonuses. I would have lost more damage (I think around 50) from losing the 2nd 2 piece bonus, but I changed to 7/36/3 spec and that seems to give me about 20 extra DPS to make up for it.

These are definitely both lucky parses, but interestingly, the critical chance on my skills is only about 3-5% beyond my normal (I had 64 crit rating, which was around 24% chance) at most for almost all of them. The key difference in my highest DPS parses is actually in getting high critical rates on Flyby/Orbital. I had a 34.29% crit rate on Orbital for my 3437 parse and 30% on the 3412 one. It makes sense since Flyby/Orbital has the highest individual damage of any of our skills and does elemental damage on top of that so that it ignores armor. Now if only there was some way to will Flyby/Orbital to crit...

Edited by Vaidinah

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, it was patched out as noted above. After they fixed the double stacking of 2 piece bonuses, I did another set of parses with just a 2 piece PvP bonus and got very similar results here with 3412 DPS. That is per the Harbinger's rules so the beginning is clipped as well, but it's only about 25 DPS below my previous best (3437 DPS) with the double stacking 2 piece bonuses. I would have lost more damage (I think around 50) from losing the 2nd 2 piece bonus, but I changed to 7/36/3 spec and that seems to give me about 20 extra DPS to make up for it.

These are definitely both lucky parses, but interestingly, the critical chance on my skills is only about 3-5% beyond my normal (I had 64 crit rating, which was around 24% chance) at most for almost all of them. The key difference in my highest DPS parses is actually in getting high critical rates on Flyby/Orbital. I had a 34.29% crit rate on Orbital for my 3437 parse and 30% on the 3412 one. It makes sense since Flyby/Orbital has the highest individual damage of any of our skills and does elemental damage on top of that so that it ignores armor. Now if only there was some way to will Flyby/Orbital to crit...

7/36/3 that is a great idea if you use Ambush / Aimed Shot. OP updated:

Spec:

with Ambush [some reading here]

7/36/3 - Sniper

7/36/3 - Gunslinger

without Ambush

5/36/5 - Sniper

5/36/5 - Gunslinger

I still personally haven't gotten around to testing out Ambush / Aimed Shot but i see myself putting it back in my skill bar. It's a very high DPE ability compared to Snipe and i can definitely see myself using it more in the near future... Thanks! Edited by paowee

I have to say i should have spent more time testing out Ambush rotation. Your suggestion went pretty well Aerro not to mention it helped in energy management a lot. Ambush is looking like a good alternative to Snipe-RS spam filler.

7/36/3 - 3483 DPS

I just want to mention that in your spoiler, you have the specs listed as 7/36/2 instead of 7/36/3.
Ah thanks aerro hehe. Edited by paowee

I have to say i should have spent more time testing out Ambush rotation. Your suggestion went pretty well Aerro not to mention it helped in energy management a lot. Ambush is looking like a good alternative to Snipe-RS spam filler.

7/36/3 - 3483 DPS

Ah thanks aerro hehe.

Nice job man! Now I really want to finish up the rest of my gear to see if I can beat that parse. Your crit percentages are so varied as you have a low crit of 15% on Orbital, but 40-50% on Explosive Probe, Snipe, Rifle Shot, and good ole Ambush.

Nice job man! Now I really want to finish up the rest of my gear to see if I can beat that parse. Your crit percentages are so varied as you have a low crit of 15% on Orbital, but 40-50% on Explosive Probe, Snipe, Rifle Shot, and good ole Ambush.

I was at 3300 when i started until i cleaned up the rotation instead of mashing buttons. I like how Ambush fits in when everything is on CD and all your dots are up. Just as you had suggested in your previous post.

Edited by paowee

Updated with Ambush for the 3483 DPS parse:

Complete Priority List http://i.imgur.com/jUmdIZb.jpg *this is not a rotation!

Slinger icons coming soon.

Jeez why OS and EP so far back? Based on DPE and DPCT they both can beat out SoS I would assume... Plus it's an EP+SoS combo, not SoS+EP :D

Also some caution on that new parse, I don't think u can get a 40% crit on ambush too often.

Jeez why OS and EP so far back? Based on DPE and DPCT they both can beat out SoS I would assume...

Also some caution on that new parse, I don't think u can get a 40% crit on ambush too often.

It IS very peculiar CJ... http://www.torparse.com/a/294248/time/1371544606/1371544908/0/Damage+Dealt

Orbital Strike is VERY LOW 15% crit. Ambush on the other hand is 40% crit but i'd argue the DPS increase is not that high. If both Ambush and Orbital were at 25% (normal range) maybe the DPS may even be higher. What do you think?

RE: Priority list, hmm let's see... http://i.imgur.com/I1yxGJF.png, With the exception of the execute ability (i don't really know where to put it :-\, i placed Orbital behind Plasma Probe because i want to be casting OS while my DoT(s) are ticking. When I parse on the dummy and my dots run out during Orbital's loooong cast time, i'm sitting at 3 seconds of not dealing damage at all and i notice it lowers the average numbers down a lot. That's basically my only reasoning for putting it behind the DoT.

EDIT: OP

Priority list - Single target in icons http://i.imgur.com/I1yxGJF.png *updated*

Saving TA for CE or CE/EMP combo and with PP ticking while OS is being cast

More importantly... the way i've practiced Engineering is that whenever Orbital is up, SoS is ALWAYS on cooldown and I have all my dots, especially Plasma Probe, ticking as well. This way my dots are doing damage and my SoS is on cooldown while I cast Orbital and that makes me feel good inside :D I've seen too many instances where DPS goes down by 200 while i cast Orbital because the dummy has literally only a shatter shot debuff on it.

Edited by paowee

Plus it's an EP+SoS combo, not SoS+EP :D
What do you mean by this? Hmm.. :confused: The priority list says to keep SoS on cooldown first before Explosive Probe. It takes priority over Explosive Probe because when both of them are used on cooldown, SoS is going to deal more damage over the same amount of time. Edited by paowee

Be ticking before you OS, that makes sense enough

I put EP has twice the cool down of SoS, of course it's gonna do less damage lol. I argue EP 1st however for energy management. Using anything other then SoS to detonate the clusters will end up being inefficient or a dps loss. Your parses even use EP+SoS. If you want to tell people to use SoS over OS and EP based purely on damage that's fine, but then it's not really a priority system, it's a list of how much total damage is put out by each move

Ok here we go...

I would agree with most of that except that I generally keep the 3 main DoTs on over Series of Shots (unless I can get at least half the skill in before they fall off). This is because I can get 2 Series of Shots before my DoTs fall off, anyways, so it's not worth it to me to use SoS earlier since I'm not going to have it up 3 times before I need to re-apply DoTs.

For the sake of the priority list, though, I do agree that Series of Shots is better damage overall than any DoT.

For Takedown, I don't know where to put it except near the end above Ambush since it doesn't keep up Electrified Railgun stacks and the damage isn't that great otherwise.

Explosive Probe is another tricky one since it deals great damage with Cluster Bombs, but is tough to fit into the rotation without delaying the stronger abilities. Ideally, it should be higher priority than even Series of Shots, but due to it's awkward 25.5 second cooldown, this doesn't happen. If this gets used before Series of Shots early on, you can't use 2 Series of Shots before the DoTs wear off.

New Priority List: http://i.imgur.com/MTdDOHl.jpg

• An armor pen debuff must be up at all times
  • Ideally you want to pop TA then do CE (which is especially nice when you have CE / EMP / CE combo available)
  • You want your DoTs ticking before you cast SoS
  • Ideally you want your DoTs up and SoS on cooldown while you cast OS
  • Execute ability does not do a lot of damage and I would put it just above Ambush

Priority list - Single Target:

New Priority List: http://i.imgur.com/MTdDOHl.jpg

• An armor pen debuff must be up at all times.
  • Ideally you want to pop TA then do CE (which is especially nice when you have CE / EMP / CE combo available)
  • You want your DoTs ticking before you cast SoS.
  • Ideally you want your DoTs up and SoS on cooldown while you cast OS.
  • Execute ability does not do a lot of damage and I would put it just below Ambush.

1. Shatter Shot Flourish Shot
  2. Covered Escape Hightail It
  3. EMP Sabotage
    ---------------------------
  4. Plasma Probe Incendiary Grenade
  5. Interrogation Probe Shock Charge
  6. Corrosive Dart Vital Shot
    ----------------------------
  7. Series of Shots Speed Shot
  8. Explosive Probe Sabotage Charge
    ---------------------------
  9. Orbital Strike* Flyby*
  10. Electrified Railgun x3 Blazing Speed x3
  11. Takedown Quickdraw
  12. Ambush Aimed Shot
  13. Snipe* Charged Burst*
  14. Overload Shot Quick Shot

Asterisks* certain abilities (OS/Snipe and Flyby/CB) because their usage will vary a lot depending on the circumstances.

Edited by paowee

OT:
B'oarder I lol'd at ur sig :) I wouldn't call u a bench player, but if so then there needs to be a SWTOR 9th man award!

Ok let's change it to sitting on the fleet player :rolleyes: .

Edited by paowee

Hey guys I made this Google Doc presentation for the Engineering / Saboteur guide. Hopefully it's as precise and as user-friendly as I'd hope it to be.

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/11l_KM33L96QRQrJ9DsOQg3pajyXQ0AdKTkJC6QL7ixA/pub?start=false&loop=false&delayms=3000#slide=id.gee3b8a9d_0161

CJNJ, Vaidinah, BetaKiller check out the last slide :)

Edited by paowee

It looks great and I doubt we'll ever see a guide to playing a spec so thoroughly explained again. I honestly wonder what the designer's intentions were behind this spec. I really doubt it ended up exactly as expected, but regardless, I'm glad it is in the game.

I am having a hard time on this spec but I'm pretty sure that some training will fix it.

When I do my rotation without using covered escape I have energy problems, I probably am using too much the regular skills when I should be using basic attack. When I use covered escape it pretty much fixes my energy problems but I end up missing uptime on my dots

I am having a hard time on this spec but I'm pretty sure that some training will fix it.

When I do my rotation without using covered escape I have energy problems, I probably am using too much the regular skills when I should be using basic attack. When I use covered escape it pretty much fixes my energy problems but I end up missing uptime on my dots

Hey check out the 4th slide in this googledoc presentation https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/11l_KM33L96QRQrJ9DsOQg3pajyXQ0AdKTkJC6QL7ixA/pub?start=false&loop=false&delayms=3000#slide=id.gee3b8a9d_0161

You can see there that i only use the basic abilities and never run out of energy

Edited by paowee

Very nice parse. Once we get down the Dread Guards, I'll be doing more actual Saboteur in raids hopefully. I got my new highest parse.

Aeralos (3577 DPS) http://www.torparse.com/a/324356/tim...012/0/Overview

Spec: 7/36/3 Saboteur Gunslinger

My gear is completely optimized at this point with full 72s and 0 75s. I've gotten around this mark at least 3 times in the last couple days so while it's definitely still lucky, it's not too crazy. I'm running the crit adrenal and have 99.91% Accuracy and I have the same 52 crit rating you have.

Edited by Vaidinah

Very nice parse. Once we get down the Dread Guards, I'll be doing more actual Saboteur in raids hopefully. I got my new highest parse.

Aeralos (3577 DPS) http://www.torparse.com/a/324356/tim...012/0/Overview

Spec: 7/36/3 Saboteur Gunslinger

My gear is completely optimized at this point with full 72s and 0 75s. I've gotten around this mark at least 3 times in the last couple days so while it's definitely still lucky, it's not too crazy. I'm running the crit adrenal and have 99.91% Accuracy and I have the same 52 crit rating you have.

Ooh I do have a crit adrenal as well (reusable). I tried it a couple of times and didn't like the results. But if you get lucky though i assume itll be great for

Orbital - Roll - EMP - Roll. lol.

Just curious but any of u know Iif you can roll over the red flowers on WH and still be okay?

I can "slightly" recoll rolling through the red puddle to DPS the adds (note: someone was already standing there to pick up the debuff).