Resource drops. Need or greed?

I was DPSing in a group last night as a BH-Mercenary and was booted before the final boss. The reasoning given by the tank: You rolled Greed on something I needed and you've been rolling greed the entire run! You are so selfish!. He then continued to tell me I do not understand the English language since apparently Greed > Need

You can't engage someone in a battle of wits if they're unarmed. Decide before the run what the drop rules are and if the tank rushes in pulling before you can discuss it let'm die.

The " need and greed " concept isn't exactly clear to a new player.

1st time ever I saw an item roll, I thought greed = " oooh I gotta get that no matter what " while need was " if i get it cool, if not, whatever "

I got explained that back in the day and did all legit rolls since then, my story about this came to a full circle 2 days when during a red reaper run, heal was needing on anything, took my time to explain what he did, why you don't wanna do it, and the consequences of continued needs for stuff that wasn't his, all politely, and he apologized and everything :)

They need to change it to like this:

Necessary, unnecessary, and pass

1st time ever I saw an item roll, I thought greed = " oooh I gotta get that no matter what " while need was " if i get it cool, if not, whatever "

I got explained that back in the day and did all legit rolls since then, my story about this came to a full circle 2 days when during a red reaper run, heal was needing on anything, took my time to explain what he did, why you don't wanna do it, and the consequences of continued needs for stuff that wasn't his, all politely, and he apologized and everything :)

Early on, I also thought Greed was the one that would give a higher chance of getting it.... I will still, always be in favor of everyone gets a drop. (4 people fighting, 4 drops) or they fix the system where you can only need if your the correct class. This one topic comes up every week since launch, and no one does anyting about it.

I went though one HMFP recently where I got NO drops as a Tank and the healer got 3 willpower drops, the 2 ranged DPS guys were both cunning and they got 2 that they also greed on since they felt they did not need it (they were very well geared), the healer got those too out of luck on greed rolls. LOL....

Joking aside, the system is also not fair either and confusing to people that do not fully understand it.

When I say drops, I do not meen the garbage green ones... blue, orange or purple.

Edited by Themanthatisi

I get what you're saying, but honestly, it's not too difficult to understand because your version is just re-worded "need" and "greed." If you need it, it is a necessity. If you don't need it, but you want it, you're just being greedy, so choose greed. If you don't need it nor want to be greedy, just pass.

And I like the codex idea of the last poster.

What the game needs is a codex that pops up when you first time group with another player, one explains what need/greed/pass means. That gives the opportunity for everyone to understand the looting if they just want to.

Either a codex that explains the lootbuttons in explicit detail or improve it into a entire new common sense lootsystem, discussed by me and hundreds if not thousands of other players here on the forum.

As it is now, the lootsystem is the wild west. Nobody can predict what happens, fun for a few frustration for some and dissapointment for many.

When it comes to resources, need if you can use it with your tradeskill and plan to do so, greed if you cant use it or has no need to use it.

Edited by Icestar

Honestly I don't get how people could think green > need... ever.

I guess it's just me that I think common sense states that if someone NEEDS it, then they get the primary roll for it, if they want to GREED it, it's not necessarily needed, they just want it.

• 1 month later...
Etiquette on shadowlands seems to be to greed on mats. If you're a crafter, you can use them and pretty much everyone is a crafter. Need or greed doesn't matter as long as its a fair roll, meaning if one person thinks to need and everyone else greeds but they can use it, it's time to /roll

• 1 month later...

Hello All

I know one thing. I'm getting sick of going through an OPS or FP or group with people and greeding or passing on everything and when I finally run across something I really want, I Need and win the roll and invariably someone says "Why did you need on that?" and getting an attitude because I Needed on something that maybe my Toon couldn't use but one of my companions really could. I could understand if I was an idiot and Needing everything whether I could use it or not but people really do get ridiculous. I'm not like that and yet, when I do need on one little things, if it doesn't exactly fit the class of the toon I'm playing I get crap for it. I mean come on people. You have to pick your battles. Pick on the person who Needs for everything, not someone like me who actually pays attention. I shouldn't have to explain to someone why I "Needed" something. I don't ask others this question. Its none of my business. Thanks :-)

to answer op's question on mat rolls:

Need = pug group

Greed = guild run (most of the time goes to guild bank)

IMO, mats are used by everyone, even if all i'm going to do is sell on gtn. Especially on the purple mats like the mass manipulator. Thats just like passing on roughly 500k credits. I worked just as hard as the rest of the group(more if we had a badly geared dps) and deserve an equal shot at the loot.

Hello All

I know one thing. I'm getting sick of going through an OPS or FP or group with people and greeding or passing on everything and when I finally run across something I really want, I Need and win the roll and invariably someone says "Why did you need on that?" and getting an attitude because I Needed on something that maybe my Toon couldn't use but one of my companions really could. I could understand if I was an idiot and Needing everything whether I could use it or not but people really do get ridiculous. I'm not like that and yet, when I do need on one little things, if it doesn't exactly fit the class of the toon I'm playing I get crap for it. I mean come on people. You have to pick your battles. Pick on the person who Needs for everything, not someone like me who actually pays attention. I shouldn't have to explain to someone why I "Needed" something. I don't ask others this question. Its none of my business. Thanks :-)

Why don't you just wait until everyone has rolled and if nobody else needed the item for their class you can ask if you can roll need? It's the polite thing to do and usually the answer is 'yes' anyway.

When you are crafting you are doing so with a purpose - earn credits. This is the very definition of GREED.

However if you NEED the resource to craft, or get crafted an upgrade for yourself....

For me it's Need on mats and most other non gear drops, unless I don't care or something was agreed or I already won my share of loot. With the current system of loot sharing, it's the only way to have a fair roll.

Hello All

Sorry, it doesn't work that way. I've heard this argument before "I'm passing on a lot of stuff, it's okay to roll for my companion everyonce in a while".

Other people always come before your companions. It goes both ways of course. You come before my companions aswell. It's always "greed" roll for companions, never "need". Unless, like one poster above me stated, if you ask in group beforehand. I always say "sure, take it", if no one really needs it for themselves.

Companions don't need top tier gear for anything, blue and purple 66 mods are very cheap now, and that's more than enough for doing any solo content.

Edited by Bastila-chan

It's always "greed" roll for companions, never "need". Unless, like one poster above me stated, if you ask in group beforehand. I always say "sure, take it", if no one really needs it for themselves.

Since all the drops are tradable within the group now, the faster and less obtrusive way is to just roll greed, and if you don't get it, whisper the person who did and ask if you can have it for your companion. Most people will trade it to you if they were planning on just vendoring it.

So when in a group setting I understand the majority opinion on whether to roll need or greed on gear and schematics, but what is the general consensus on the crafting resource drops?

Thanks

Unless something has been worked out beforehand, most of the group content I've done on my server has been to Greed on crafting resources, especially if it's Endgame mats.

Anyone who honestly doesn't want it should take Pass.

And to another commenter:

Never, ever, Need on Companions unless you've cleared it with your group first. :p Same goes for off-spec.

Tag-along question for the consensus:

The one exception I've made for the 'don't Need on off-spec' is being the only Guardian or Juggernaut in a group and having Strength Heavy armor drop.

Is it acceptable to Need on it then if you're doing it for off-spec? At that point, no one else in the group can use it for anything but Companions or alts, and I think off-spec > Companions/Alts.

Tag-along question for the consensus:

The one exception I've made for the 'don't Need on off-spec' is being the only Guardian or Juggernaut in a group and having Strength Heavy armor drop.

Is it acceptable to Need on it then if you're doing it for off-spec? At that point, no one else in the group can use it for anything but Companions or alts, and I think off-spec > Companions/Alts.

If there's a Sentinel or Marauder in the group, the mods are still useful to them. Considering how ugly most of the gear is, I'd hazard that most people are swapping mods anyway.

I never really thought about it. I always choose need. Never knew there was a etiquette to need or greed. I always thought that greedy had a nasty connotation to it, so that's why i never chose it, I chose need because if I got it great, if I didn't all well. If i get something I don't need I will usually ask if someone needed it, if not I'm saying it will go on my companion.