Bring Back White Crystals

Twinbros

This is what happens when you have a generation of kids who all get trophies at little league and are all told they are a winner, then they grow up and think they deserve everything, just by virtue of showing up or wanting it, when they didnt put in the time and effort others did.

I have a white crystal, and i am very proud of mine and the work i put in for it.

For BW to turn around and hand them out like candy or for sale undermines and trivializes the effort mine took me to get.

I firmly agree with the quote above.

Odd, I thought it was more that players that have it don't want to realize how many hours they spent grinding credits when players know could spend a hour's worth of cash from a real job to get that crystal. Do you feel that those hours were wasted if someone else doesn't have to beat their head against a wall?

I'm sorry if you chose to spend days getting fake cash while someone else was earning real cash. I wonder which would make Bioware more money if they brought back the crystal vendor as well as put them up for sale in a cash shop-and thereby keep the game that you like going a little longer. Or do you only play to show off how superior you think you are because you have a 'rare' crystal?

Edited by CorellianWannabe

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Odd, I thought it was more that players that have it don't want to realize how many hours they spent grinding credits when players know could spend a hour's worth of cash from a real job to get that crystal. Do you feel that those hours were wasted if someone else doesn't have to beat their head against a wall?

I'm sorry if you chose to spend days getting fake cash while someone else was earning real cash. I wonder which would make Bioware more money if they brought back the crystal vendor as well as put them up for sale in a cash shop-and thereby keep the game that you like going a little longer. Or do you only play to show off how superior you think you are because you have a 'rare' crystal?

It has nothing to do with superiority. It has the same stats as a dozen others. It has no benefit other than as a visible symbol that i have been committed to the game since release and have earned some visible attributes along the way. And i take pride in *that* facet of having a white crystal. When it came out, it was understood by all present at the time to be a limited time promotion, and I bought it with that understanding, and spent days farming to get it.

You're so keen to ask my reasons for wanting one, what are your own?

1. We've paid our dues by subscribing.

2. The white crystal is a unique and rare item, but giving it away to a cash shop, it loses it's uniqueness. Every Tom, Rick & Marry-Lou will be using one, how unique will that item then be? Consider it a reward, like the Founder title.

I work full time in powder coating (hanging on an assembly line type place) and come home so sore I usually shower and go to bed to stare at the tv until I fall asleep. I generally play an hour and a half to two hours three or four time a week, and I still managed to get mine. Your problem is that you just grind the dailies and wonder why your credit balance isn't going up as fast as people who take the time to figure out where in their server's economy the money is. It was clearly stated how much these crystals would cost and when the vendor would be removed. You had just as much (and probably more) opportunity as I did. The difference is I seized that opportunity and you did not.

QFT. I like seeing posts like this- I also have a full time job, a committed relationship, pets and bills. I saved up for two of the lesser white crystals and am happy with them both. They never said the white crystals wouldn't come back, but in my opinion they most certainly should not be in the Cartel Store- bring back the vendor when/if they do. They were released months after people on most any kind of a schedule and commitments could have raised at least one character to 50, done dailies, or as this poster mentions, learn the market. Yes- I do like being unique and having a cosmetic crystal that I busted my hump in game to get two of. At the time, getting 1M credits was difficult but doable through a number of creative means. Lastly, if I remember correctly, the crystal vendor was there for at least two weeks- the whole of which I spent time saving/grinding and even had a little time left over.

I didn't get the rakghoul event title due to time constraints- c'est la vie. I would've liked that 'badge' for my main but it didn't happen. Same thing, I feel, with the crystals.

It has nothing to do with superiority. It has the same stats as a dozen others. It has no benefit other than as a visible symbol that i have been committed to the game since release and have earned some visible attributes along the way. And i take pride in *that* facet of having a white crystal. When it came out, it was understood by all present at the time to be a limited time promotion, and I bought it with that understanding, and spent days farming to get it.

You're so keen to ask my reasons for wanting one, what are your own?

I don't want one-I think they look ridiculous, like a flashlight. Actually anything other than red, blue, or green looks ridiculous-I blame Mr Jackson for the rainbow of crystals and his need to be stand out in the films (as if a black man in Star Wars wouldn't have stood out enough already).

I just love the idea that grinding for fake cash for days (by your own admission) makes you dedicated, and someone grinding real cash in the real world means they haven't earned the ugly little crystal.

Well that doesn't make any sense. What sort of a company expects to retain customers if they do not demonstrate a committment to keep their word to those customers to look out for their interests.

You mean like all the times they promised more content, more often?

I have a white crystal, and i am very proud of mine and the work i put in for it.

For BW to turn around and hand them out like candy or for sale undermines and trivializes the effort mine took me to get.

I have a cookie, and am very proud of mine and the work I put in to bake it from scratch.

For a coffee shop to turn around and hand them out like candy or for sale undermines and trivializes the effort mine took me to bake it and decorate it and clean up the mess

See how silly it sounds when applied to something else.

Early adopters always have to work harder or pay more for something that will be easily obtainable to others later. Unless its a collectors item. Oh what's that, CEs are on sale for 20% of what I paid for mine? Oh well I will continue on with my life.

Edited by Jnight

I have a cookie, and am very proud of mine and the work I put in to bake it from scratch.

For a coffee shop to turn around and hand them out like candy or for sale undermines and trivializes the effort mine took me to bake it and decorate it and clean up the mess

See how silly it sounds when applied to something else.

Early adopters always have to work harder or pay more for something that will be easily obtainable to others later. Unless its a collectors item. Oh what's that, CEs are on sale for 20% of what I paid for mine? Oh well I will continue on with my life.

You're right. Your argument does sound silly. Its the equivalent of EA releasing something and Blizzard down the street releasing a comparable product. It has no bearing for comparison.

I am against bringing back white crystals. I don't have one, but would sure as hell want one, but thats purely because its so rare. It cost a ****load of credits, more than I have ever managed to gather even though I have been playing since launch. I think the people who got theirs when it was possible should be allowed to stay special for doing it back then.

I'll be fine with this, so long as its in the store I dont mind dishin out the cash for it.

You're an idiot. Why would you rather spend cash than put in a little time in a GAME you're suppose to play. The point of which is to obtain the gear through PLAYING THE GAME YOU BOUGHT, rather than just buying an endgame character with a bunch of gear for real money.....

You're right. Your argument does sound silly. Its the equivalent of EA releasing something and Blizzard down the street releasing a comparable product. It has no bearing for comparison.
However you want to skew it to make your side of the argument work. That's generally how analogies go.

The point (which you apparently failed to grasp) was that time is money. You can either put in the time yourself or pay to not have to put in the time, and with a cosmetic item such as this it can be implemented without affecting balance or changing things to P2W.

Please go flaunt your white crystal epeen elsewhere.

Edited by Jnight

Hate players like u

You are just jealous - There are some things that need to be limited time only, otherwise there will never be anything to brag about, because any number of people can just do the same thing.

Pure White Crystal = Founder Title as far as this arguement is concerned.

However you want to skew it to make your side of the argument work. That's generally how analogies go.

The point (which you apparently failed to grasp) was that time is money. You can either put in the time yourself or pay to not have to put in the time, and with a cosmetic item such as this it can be implemented without affecting balance or changing things to P2W.

Please go flaunt your white crystal epeen elsewhere.

Oh, I am very much aware time is money. I work 12 hour days, have a wife and 2 kids, plus am working my way back through grad school in addition to my game time.

But I also wanted a white lightsaber, so when they were offered I took time in game, weeks in advance to start working towards one. And I earned it when it was offered as a special promotion.

I am not "flaunting" anything. I don't boast about it or sit in fleet chat ridiculing those without one.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with taking pride in ownership of things you have worked for. And those who worked to get our white crystals have no reason to feel guilty or subjugated by the folks who did not get them for wanting to keep them unique.

Personally I'd like to see them brought back. Not through a vendor or the cash shop, but maybe through legacy. Have it require a high legacy level, maybe 30 or so. Have it cost the same as the crystals did before, maybe a bit more, and stick it under the tab for individual characters rather than server-wide character unlocks.

Personally I'd like to see them brought back. Not through a vendor or the cash shop, but maybe through legacy. Have it require a high legacy level, maybe 30 or so. Have it cost the same as the crystals did before, maybe a bit more, and stick it under the tab for individual characters rather than server-wide character unlocks.

I could go along with that. Same price as before and a very high legacy level.

But not just as a hand out for a few cartel coins.

Oh, I am very much aware time is money. I work 12 hour days, have a wife and 2 kids, plus am working my way back through grad school in addition to my game time.
Oh here we go. That may be true, but it seems everyone has a story like this. FWIW I work a full time job, wife and one kid.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with taking pride in ownership of things you have worked for. And those who worked to get our white crystals have no reason to feel guilty or subjugated by the folks who did not get them for wanting to keep them unique.

You are right, there is nothing wrong with any of that, but I'd say you are taking it a step further by arguing against people being able to obtain them in the future through a different means.

You skipped over my comment about the CE earlier. I would have expected that for $150 the CE items would remain unique to those who purchased the CE taking pride in the game at launch, but it appears anyone with $30 can get it today. It's not directly related to putting in game time only to have someone purchase the same item, but you could translate the $120 difference into however much time you want and it would be a very similar case.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: Cry me a river

Edited by Jnight

You are right, there is nothing wrong with any of that, but I'd say you are taking it a step further by arguing against people being able to obtain them in the future through a different means.

I've stated I am ok with them re-releasing them, so long as how they re-release them does not trivialize the effort the original folks put in for ours. I don't want them on the cartel store for cash, but as a legacy reward for a very high legacy level and at the same cost I could agree to.

Look my main point I'm trying to get at is, there are not enough rare awesome items in this game! So it becomes a problem for everyone else that they cannot be unique like some people. Why should some people be more unique than others? Everyone deserves to be unique , they are devoting tons and tons of hours/money just like everyone else. Like I said, THIS IS WHY WE PLAY THE GAME! Doesn't have to be about bringing back the white color crystal, just throw some super rare gear/items every month or extend the crew skills levels maybe so that if you work long/hard enough you'll get that rare sweet gear. That should weed out the average player from the die hard players. Something along those lines.

I am against bringing back white crystals. I don't have one, but would sure as hell want one, but thats purely because its so rare. It cost a ****load of credits, more than I have ever managed to gather even though I have been playing since launch. I think the people who got theirs when it was possible should be allowed to stay special for doing it back then.

So abusing pre-nerf slicing entitles them to an ugly crystal?

So you only want one because it's rare-not because you like color or anything. So if the game had poo-brown crystals that were even harder to get you would want those too?

You are just jealous - There are some things that need to be limited time only, otherwise there will never be anything to brag about, because any number of people can just do the same thing.

Pure White Crystal = Founder Title as far as this arguement is concerned.

People actually use the Founder title?

I'm sorry, I didn't realize people played to have fun, not to have something to brag about. Not enough to be proud of on the other side of the screen I guess.

Real life =/= Game life

To say that 'grinding' real money should grant you benefits in a game is just as ridiculous as saying completing Denova HM entitles me to a pay rise in my job.

They are completely different and un-related worlds.

I can complete sonic the hedgehog without losing a single life, so i should have the option to buy full campaign gear in SW:TOR with all those gold rings i collected :rolleyes:

Edited by ScrabblePants