In seven days, I will own a guild I'm in.

xordevoreaux

Full disclosure: I'm GL of 8 guilds, two of which actually have people in them other than myself.

I've given away far more guilds than that, which I've inherited when GL's abandoned the game.

In seven days and some hours, I will acquire guild number next.

The GL has not logged on in 23 days, so in the first minute of the 28th day, if I log in first, all mine.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

I tossed a spare toon in the guild just because I really liked the guild name, even followed their conventions and created a guild-theme-oriented toon to match, and then... nothing. It basically consists of two people romantically involved in real life, and three other hangers-on, including me, and I suspect the guild creator has no idea about the 28-day rule.

In the past, when I've inherited guilds which no one has gotten into in 30, 40, 50 days, I had no qualms about hollowing it out and giving it away to friends or renaming it and keeping it for myself as a spare vanity guild on a vacation server (where my mains aren't, basically).

This time around, like before, I'm planning on doing what I usually do, which is kick them all to the curb, but...

this time, there's a twinge of guilt associated with the idea.

Should I be nice? Just for once?

It's not like the GL is gonna read any in-game mail of mine any time soon unless that person bothers to log in where I can warn that person and say hey, it's actually mildly important in this game to log in every 27.99 days if you expect to hang onto your guild.

Hard-nosed people will say no, don't cry on your sleeve for ignorant people, they deserve what they get.

But this time, it just feels wrong.

But I still want to do it.

But don't know if I will.

Thoughts?

Edited by xordevoreaux

if you feel guilt. then at least make the effort to make contact. if there was a website, you could send a msg that way and they would get a notification email that a msg was sent. if you know their discord handle could try to make contact that way. or even a pm on this site if you happen to know their contact info here.

in any case, once ya send the msg and if ya don't get a response, you'll at least have tried, and you'll feel better?

Edited by Chryptyk

• 3 weeks later...
New player to SWTOR but I have run guilds on WoW. IMHO, I would go ahead and pull the trigger on your plan. Unless the folks in the guild are deployed military, there is really no excuse for not logging in for the 28 or so days. Either they have found another, more active guild or they just do not care. This is late and I hope you were able to work it out one way or the other.

New player to SWTOR but I have run guilds on WoW. IMHO, I would go ahead and pull the trigger on your plan. Unless the folks in the guild are deployed military, there is really no excuse for not logging in for the 28 or so days. Either they have found another, more active guild or they just do not care. This is late and I hope you were able to work it out one way or the other.

There are lots of reasons for people to be away longer than that. Hospitalized, sick, broken computer, no internet, evacuated, just to name a few. I think it's a total jerk move to steal guilds.

There are lots of reasons for people to be away longer than that. Hospitalized, sick, broken computer, no internet, evacuated, just to name a few. I think it's a total jerk move to steal guilds.

That is not stealing a guild. That is the system setup by BW.

If he feels guilty, hold on to the guild with the people in it for another 15-30 days. See if anyone pops up & wants it. If not go for it.

With the info you've given, I don't think they really care. They've moved on from SWTOR most likely.

And in the case they come back, they can easily get a new guild ship in a few weeks for a mere 8m.

would it hurt to hold it for an additional 30 days without gutting it with a guild message to get in touch with you for the guild leader?

i had a friend in wow that had to drop out. it was a long while before i logged into one of my toons on that server and got immediate guild master. i couldnt remember which toons were his so i booted everyone. he showed up a few months later and i gave him his guild back. he had told me he thought he lost it and was part of the reason he took so long to get back into WoW.

i have a couple of guilds in WoW, but only for my toons...which is something i cannot do in tOR.

my vote is to log in when you can and hold it for 30 more days before doing anything. might turn into a nice christmas present for them after what could ahve been a bad month.

I'd give them another month or so, then pass the guild on to whoever would like it. I'm sure a few small guilds might like to take on the guild ship and HQs. It'd be up to them to re-name and contact the previous members. I'd take a cut of any assets for my time, clear the banks of anything really valuable ( over 1/4 million say) and get shot of it.

You could in-game mail the original members and tell them what has happened. But chances are they're gone for good.

You've given them fair chance and fair warning. Their ignorance of the system shouldn't make you feel guilty of taking what they obviously don't want. - and it's only pixels at the end of the day anyways.

I'm GL of 3 guilds that BW completely hollowed out by their changes of direction. It's only coz I like the names, spent millions on the assets and that they remind me of good times.... that I keep them.