Grob'thok NiM - adds handling

Okie, I could swear that eric said something on a devstream vid about fixing the grob'thok adds. Since this is obviously not happening with this patch I wonder a bit how most guilds are dealing with the adds.

Currently mine is dps'ing down the adds but if feels very slow. I at times even have unshielded adds on me when I tankswap back to the boss. Since dps is dps'ing down the adds I can't really kite around to much. But regardless the dtps nerf I still take a lot of damage from them. Overall I mostly take about 1.200 dtps till 1.800 if I'm unlucky. The adds are mostly taking up 25-40% of said dtps.

I know you could use the mechanic of killing them out of range of the rest with a 2nd pipeslam but that means that we all take the increased pipeslam damage + we have to manage 3 waves of adds (maybe 1,5 since DPS/flames might kill some off)

Question 1: How are others dealing with the adds?

Question 2: Do you have the same 1.200-1.800 dtps with a 25-40% add damage portion?

Question 3: Eric? Did I misunderstood you (or whichever dev said so)?

We just dps them with aoe... not really focusing on them much, at least I am not focusing them at all. Our dps setup is Shadow, Sent, commando and a GS. The gunslinger uses shrap bomb on them, i hit them with FiB when they are close to boss, sent hits them with TST when they are close to boss.... they are not really a problem at all.

I have no clue what kind of damage the tanks are taking but it really seems impossible to die to adds. If a dps grabs aggro just threat drop. The required healing is very low compared to before, the healers can dps half the time.

Yeah we don't pay much attention either. FiB's and smashes deal with them. Maybe some AOE damage from healers as well. Also they don't have that much health so iif I have any of them on my couple of tank rotations take them out. We also explode them with pipe smash when we can to focus more on the boss.

Once Nightmare Power was turned off, we switched our strategy for our 8-man group to simply having the off-tank face-tank the adds just behind the boss's feet so that they are killed by DPS AoEs that are also hitting the boss. Our DPS does not intentionally target the adds, however, they are all in AoE damage specs (Operative, Powertech, Sorcerer, Sniper.)

The most important point to killing the adds fast enough is getting their shields off immediately and having at least one lava damage debuff on them.

In our 8man we have a GS DPS the adds most of the time and the rest of the DPS and even the healers contribute to the DPS to killing them when they can. The first few kills we ended up having Grob enrage, and it is not that bad (post NiM power removal). This past week was the first time we beat the enrage - gear helps :)

Our 8 man group has the following DPS usually available:

2 Vanguards (Assault on this fight)

1 Gunslinger (Hybrid, used to be sab here but he kept rolling into the magnet)

1 Sage (TK here)

1 Sentinel (Watchman, though not afraid to respec to focus when its absolutely neccesary

The way we do it is we constantly burn the boss while the tanks run around with adds and try and get them into the lava and keep them there. After every pipe smash -> Magnet, We get the adds deliberately AoEd if there are more than 3 alive and then when we're done with AoEs (they dont have to die, just take heavy damage) get back onto grob.

End result, we never have more than 10 up at a time (just before pipe smash) and we havent enraged in weeks

Edited by TACeMossie

My group consist of the following

1 Sentinel - Focus

1 Guardian - Focus

2 Commandos

The way we do it is: the commandos stay on boss all the time with some mortar volley in between. Most of the add's dps is handled by the guardian and I. Our tanks pick up the adds, run them over lava and then take them to melee range for our smashes to hit them. In order to beat the enrage timer with keep the boss as our main focus, dps'ing down the adds is highly dependant on the tanks, though the results can be some GREAT parses :D

Edited by g_mK

We used to use the "Stack adds on Boss and AOE" method but now we've got one that is so much simpler.

Grob will always do a tank knockback before Pipe Smash. So we just have DPS ignore the adds completely and have the tanks hold them. When the final knockback before pipe smash happens that tank ensures they get knocked out of the raid, the adds will all follow. Then AOE CC them (Flashbang, AOE Fear, etc) and let Grob smash twice (but not 3 times). The 2nd smash will blow up all the adds but they will be nowhere near the raid to do splash damage.

We don't even take down their shields, there's really no point in even worrying about them when Grob can kill them all for you.

Edited by Terro_Fett