Bioware's lack of response, explained

Jeweledleah

this is from Mass Effect forums, but since its, well the same company, I'd say it applies.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/323/index/8833576&lf=8

in other words - they are having their well deserved rest, and whoever is still here, I'm guessing are the skeleton crew that are at this point are probably run ragged and about to shoot themselves from being overloaded with "FIX IT NAO" demands.

game makers need rest too. they have families too. they also celebrate the holidays they do NOT exists solely to serve you and to please you.

please develop a tiny bit of patience.

Thank you.

this is from Mass Effect forums, but since its, well the same company, I'd say it applies.

in other words - they are having their well deserved rest, and whoever is still here, I'm guessing are the skeleton crew that are at this point are probably run ragged and about to shoot themselves from being overloaded with "FIX IT NAO" demands.

game makers need rest too. they have families too. they also celebrate the holidays they do NOT exists solely to serve you and to please you.

Thank you.

Ummmm, then don't release a AAA(wannabe) MMO before christmas? The first 30 days are the most circuital for any game. By releasing the game, then giving the community a giant double hand middle finger salute and screwing off for a break, is not the way to make a good impression.

Thank you.

Thank you for this useful thread.

Ummmm, then don't release a AAA(wannabe) MMO before christmas? The first 30 days are the most circuital for any game. By releasing the game, then giving the community a giant double hand middle finger salute and screwing off for a break, is not the way to make a good impression.

I figured 7-4 days of free game time and 2 free days grace period was a great way to say "have a nice holiday". But I guess I was just force tricked into thinking that 9 days of a free gaming was a kindness. Little did I know I was being give a double hand middle finger salute.

Oh how foolish I was to not see it.

I figured 7-4 days of free game time and 2 free days grace period was a great way to say "have a nice holiday". But I guess I was just force tricked into thinking that 9 days of a free gaming was a kindness. Little did I know I was being give a double hand middle finger salute.

What an idiotic comment. EGA was not a gift, it was part of pre-order.

What the guy said is correct, you can't have a major release then take the next 3 weeks off, which is basically what they did. They left the interns so we could get critical bug fixes like baby names in credits and emotes on speeders though.

They chose the release date, if they planned on taking a month off for Christmas they should have released it Jan 20th.

That's the devs, and possibly not even all of them. Customer service is an entirely different department, as is administration.

So it might explain the lack of PATCHES or a reduction in forum responses, but that's really about it. If it even applies to SWTOR: Programmers on large projects are generally organized into teams that are assigned to one specific area on one specific project. Not to mention that Bioware has how many Studios? At least three off the top of my head...

2 weeks, not one month. they are about to be back from break. did they leave the crew behind? yes. are there GM's in game? yes. are the patches being released? yes.

they wanted people to have a game to play by christmas. they wanted them to play it over the holidays. they wanted it to be a potential gift under the tree. they stress tested the servers over the last major beta weekend.

could they have done it better? probably. do they deserve scorn, impatience, derision and everything in between? no. stop seeing them as your personal slaves and see them as people.

don't act like those customers that every person in service industry absolutely cannot stand and who get spit in their food from disgruntled waiters.

What the guy said is correct, you can't have a major release then take the next 3 weeks off, which is basically what they did.

Sure you can. They just did. Now they're back, you'll see major bug fixes inbound and lot's more developer communication. I'll eat crow in 2 weeks if I'm wrong.

By releasing the game, then giving the community a giant double hand middle finger salute and screwing off for a break, is not the way to make a good impression.

Read the dev tracker forum. They're not on vacation or break. They just don't respond to every single thread in the general discussion forums. No one does. Not even you.

Today is January 3rd. Early access was granted on December 13th (at the earliest). Hence, they should have waited at least until the 12th of January (math is hard!) to go on their "break". I would actually go farther and say they should not have gone on their break until the earliest February 1st. So yeah, Bioware gave us the double middle finger salute as they went out the door.

2 weeks, not one month. they are about to be back from break. did they leave the crew behind? yes. are there GM's in game? yes. are the patches being released? yes.

they wanted people to have a game to play by christmas. they wanted them to play it over the holidays. they wanted it to be a potential gift under the tree. they stress tested the servers over the last major beta weekend.

could they have done it better? probably. do they deserve scorn, impatience, derision and everything in between? no. stop seeing them as your personal slaves and see them as people.

don't act like those customers that every person in service industry absolutely cannot stand and who get spit in their food from disgruntled waiters.

Bioware did not give TOR as a favor, they did not spend the last few years making this game as a gift to the world.

They SOLD us this game, we all had to pay for it, and during the most important month of the game, they say "nah, F U guys, we're taking a break". Checking Dev tracker there is only 2-3 posts per day, how can we have community managers who aren't talking to the community?

Bioware employees don't need to be rocked to sleep. They know they are ignoring the community and they don't care.

This.

Greed makes you release a game 1 1/2 weeks before Chistmas with Pre-Orders a month before. You want the money? Work for it and screw your Holidays and Vacations.

Because the Mass Effect 3 team is definitely the same team as the SWTOR team...right?

Because if they SWTOR team DID take a break they would definitely post about it on the Mass Effect 3 forums and not ours...right?

Of course SOME people from Bioware took off during Christmas to be with their families, does this mean the TOR team took off? Doubt it.

We have a huge load of content coming in TOMORROW, and you guys are wondering why nothing has been added in or fixed for the past couple of days. Ever think that they don't want to patch bugs that might have bad effects on the rest of the game? Even the slightest patch needs to be thoroughly tested or you get another Skyrim incident where dragons start flying backwards - that's what happens when you rush content. I highly doubt the Developers wanted to unload a truckload of bug fixes and mini-patches barely even a week before the patch tomorrow (which includes a new FP, Operation, Planet, and MANY bug fixes) is released just in case something wrong could have happened - thus pushing the release of the already announced content back.

I don't think it is because they have a lacking of skill in customer support. I think it's more because as the game was just released and is still not even released in Oceanic areas so they are still working very hard to get the game as best as they can and when they have settled in more they will become more aware and alert with customer service problems.

Because BioWare Employees should have to work through Christmas for you, correct?

OR

They could release it after Christmas when most people are at work and not on break....

I enjoyed the fact that I could play this game during my break.

Edited by LightLight

Ask your self this.

Considering how much of a cesspool the general forums are.

Do you really think a dev would constantly supply information here?

It would be like sticking your hand in a feeding frenzy!

If I was one of the devs, I wouldn't touch this forum with a 40ft pool for the safety of my health, and my sanity.

I know if I was a dev, I wouldn't bother replying here. Everytime I come here the General page is full of THIS GAEM IS DOOM3D and "I'm quitting" and "Bioware Sux".

Yeah, great way to get the attention of a dev. I'd simply ignore it and get back to my EA mandated perma-crunch 16 hour day.

Although I am willing to grant all the devs and support staff some well deserved R&R, but I wholeheartedly agree, you don't go lights out so soon after launch.