I take the plunge on a Youtube channel

ThutmoseV

I have just started a YouTube channel dedicated to my GSF matches, under the name of my original main GSF character Erannov. But most will be my alts. Most of these are on Star Forge, but there will be a few from Satele Shan.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp0nwsMAS5ILvkMBkQ8Lm8Q

I just have a couple of older matches up so far, I'll get more up in a week or 2.

Take a look, I would welcome any suggestions for improvements. I'll try to occasionally put up matches where I was very unsatisfied with my play.

Hey ThutmoseV! Welcome to Youtube, awesome to have another person putting videos up!

I watched both your current videos, great quality and I'm assuming you did voice over afterwards and not during the matches themselves. I'd suggest making your voice a little higher then the game volumes sometimes (especially when missile locks are happening) your voice would get a little drowned out.

As for actual game play suggestions for improvement, I'd like to know what you're interested in for that.

I can go over every single mistake and put timestamps if that's what you meant, or were you looking for more just general suggestions? I could also do a combination of both for general helpful stuff but point out the bigger mistakes with a time stamp or what not. Just let me know what you'd prefer. :)

Thanks for your interest. I would be most interested in any general pattern of mistakes or just the wrong idea on strategy. If you want to pick out 1 or 2 specific instances that is fine, but I don't expect you to go through my matches in complete detail. Replaying these matches I see a lot of mistakes myself. I intend to get some matches where I have more difficulty, especially domination matches where I have to attack enemy held sats, or at least make it more respectable when the other team is just better than ours. Also maybe I should play and record a few matches with the Clarion to practice remote slicing, right now I get better scores with Starguard or Pike.

One of these days I should spend a few days where I just play gunship to practice strafing!

First up the Domination game.

Right off the start, you open with Barrel roll which is fine, however you wait to boost afterwards until you're at full engine power. Barrel roll put yours engines in recently consumed anyways, so there isn't a point in waiting after a Barrel roll for engine regen to start boosting, at the start of a game it's much better to burn hard get to the Satellite and then regen your engines.

You get to A are capturing it and instead of waiting immediately fly off the sat to chase the incoming ships, definitely wait on the sat to see if you can get it green before chasing off to attack them, especially since you had Rapids available on the sat. You even had to Barrel roll because you engaged them at that angle so far that they got the sat before you could turn around. I'm not going to bring up any more examples of this from hear on, but many many times you got off the sat when you shouldn't have, honestly this game is really close for no reason, you single handedly could have prevented a bunch of captures during this game by simply staying on the sat instead of leaving it.

Let's talk about Barrel roll a little now, I don't mind that you like it over Retros, it can be very useful for the reasons you stated, however you can't stay in combat right after you Barrel like you do without expecting to missiles as often as you do. After you use Barrel roll you must immediately find something to use for line of sight, you never do this. You will Barrel the missile in flight and then turn around or just continue fighting out in the open, Barrel has a 20 second cooldown, meaning if someone fires a Proton at you, their cooldown will be back up and they'll be able to fire that missile long before your Barrel is even back up, not to mention anyone else in the are that just watched you Barrel knows you're an easy target now. In the video you talk about how most of the top players prefer Retros over Barrel, it isn't because we don't think Barrel isn't a good movement maneuver it's one of the best because of how far you get with it, it's because of the amount of downtime it incurs after you use it. We also don't like it in Domination because if you're defending a Sat, it will ALWAYS take you away from the sat, while with retros or Kturn you can safely break a missile and continue to defend.

At about the 5 min mark, you're bright red and decide to go defend A, this is one of those points where you made the game closer then it should have been, you spend longer healing up on A and then returning to be then it would have taken you to die respawn and fly to B and at the point you would have had full health and missiles. You don't need to be so afraid of dying imo, adding more pressure to B would have helped a lot more then sitting on your teams only sat while waiting for heals, Hydro should be used to help you continue to add pressure long term, not as dedicating healing like your trying to use it here.

At around the 8 min mark your team gets B and now you have a solid 2 cap, you decide to attack a Gunship near C however on the minimap you can see red arrows heading to A and you have a teammate spamming in chat that he needs help there. This was a big strategy missplay, had you turned and head there you could have helped A and held a solid 2 cap the rest of the game, which is the ideal play in a close game like this.

As for mechanical mistakes I'm not going to go breakdown everything, but you often don't swap back to power to engines after finishing firing. You never use power to shields which is very important when using Quick Charge shield, you want to be in power to shields for the 4 seconds after you use the active ability doing so gives you a huge boost in the shields it regenerates for you.

I'll make some notes and try to cover the Deathmatch tomorrow.

Hope this helps and if this was way too much feel free to let me know and I reel it back on the next one. :)

Hope this helps and if this was way too much feel free to let me know and I reel it back on the next one.

That amount of detail is fine, if you want to take the time to do that. I expect that a lot of the things you criticize are habits I got into while solo queueing. I do prefer TDM to Dom since I tend to have a lot more choice where I fight. These days I have been using Pike/Quell in dom matches, because of EMP missiles. It seems to be more effective.

I will add some more matches this weekend, I'm out of town now and my files are on the desktop.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

It's been a while since I have added any Youtube matches, so I thought I would add some recent ones. These are all solo queue. The voice commentary on these are all added later. I am curious if anyone notices any change in my play from earlier matches. One thing I have just started doing is using Ion along with HLC on the Starguard instead of quad and HLC. I have had some success using the piledriver technique, but I don't think I am precise enough switching weapons to get the full benefit. With Ion once you've damaged the shields you only have to switch once. That also makes it easier to use on moving targets.

I don't record many matches, at 1.5 to 2 Gbytes a match they would fill up my drive too fast. So most of the best ones don't get recorded.

I use the Nvidia Geoforce software, which creates an .mp4 file. I am not that familiar with the technical details of video formats. Maybe your software is just better at real time compression, or you have different settings. Edited by ThutmoseV

I use the Nvidia Geoforce software, which creates an .mp4 file. I am not that familiar with the technical details of video formats. Maybe your software is just better at real time compression, or you have different settings.

I'm no tech head either. My files are MP4 and I also use the same software. That one is beyond me. Maybe someone else knows.

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to do some bomber matches, so I added these 2. One was a very successful bomber match where I stayed in bomber the whole time. In the other on I started in bomber, but after I died I switched to Pike to try to catch up.