SWG JTL vs SWTOR GSF

-Morrigan-

Hi Everyone,

One thing I don't understand is all the SWG fanboys saying that Jump to Light Speed is a better Flight Sim than Galactica Starfighter, and that this expansion is rubbish.

Well let's have a look at the difference shall we...

Galactic Starfighter Gameplay:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfF-_4t6vjo

Jump to Lightspeed:

All I can say is lol you guys can't let it go. This expansion is awesome! Great job Bioware, ignore all the hate from the trolls!

you just havent played it thats why u dont understand, every planet had space, you had pvp zones also and way more stuff going on, could mine in space, could do bounty hunting against players not npcs lol in ground and space combined in the same bounty... , smuggling missions,

almost every ship part was unique and crafted, you could bring people in your ships and they could shoot guns...

you companion doing commands here, we had droids we programmed to use shield boosts etc..

lol not much new here...you have no idea lol

i can tell this is your first taste of mmo star wars space lol...

the grafics are basically better now rofl...

Edited by ODTONE

They can't be compared at all.... JTL WAS a space flight sim....

GSF is a space arcade shooter! i LOVED JTL and i'm falling for GSF for completely different reasons....everyone keep banging on about GSF being a space 'sim' are completely off the mark! they're 2 completely different experiences sharing one thing in common...the IP.

GSF is good just lacks joystick support.

That said JTL wasn't just a pvp space arena so its not really a fair comparison.

ya it was a complete game in the mmo, i know people who played it just for that and didnt care about ground combat,

but it is still space and its hard to forget how "good" it actually can be! and when people say starfighter is way more amazing and put up some duel and that was swg space....

i feel insulted lol

most people talking about both have actually tried both, i have nothing against the op enjoying the update lol

Edited by ODTONE

They can't be compared at all.... JTL WAS a space flight sim....

You're joking right?

You are all comparing it to GSF and when we put up a video of the gameplay difference you all defend it saying JTL is a flight sim and blah blah blah.

JTL looks like complete trash, and yes I played JTL...

Edited by -Morrigan-

You're joking right?

You are all comparing it to GSF and when we put up a video of the gameplay difference you all defend it saying it's a flight sim.

wow really in 10 years grafics got better lol?

thats a real tough one, i cant imagine anyone who played jtl say i want 2 small maps with 3 satellites we blow up over and over and trash all this space here lol , sorry never saw that one in the forums at the time

Edited by ODTONE

wow really in 10 years grafics got better lol?

thats a real tough one

I'm not comparing graphics here, I'm talking about gameplay.

Look at the X-Wing rolling around all over the place, total LOL!

Edited by -Morrigan-

You're joking right?

You are all comparing it to GSF and when we put up a video of the gameplay difference you all defend it saying it's a flight sim.

I'm NOT comparing GSF to JTL AT ALL! they are so different it isn't even funny! GSF IS NOT a space 'sim' if you think it is then you clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

I'm NOT comparing GSF to JTL AT ALL! they are so different it isn't even funny! GSF IS NOT a space 'sim' if you think it is then you clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

I'm not talking about you, but others are comparing it to JTL on this forum.

Your comparing games from different genres. A 10 year old space SIM and a recent arcade shooter.

Star Citizen looks like its going to be the real deal though. BW wouldn't do a space sim as clearly anyone wanting a space sim will be playing that.

• 5 years later...
Idk why we’re arguing. JTL was better lol. It was different completely different. The reason so many people loved it was the freedom you had. The customization. You were not restricted to 1 ship. I had like 8 ships. One being a luxury yacht you could decorate and live in with a view of space and any planet you’re nearby. The customization of the weapons, shields, reactors, engines etc... the paint job. The flagship you get through collections achievement you could install up 6 guns or 8 and invite your group on it and they could man the turrets. Then go into deep space and attack a star destroyer or republic station or just other players if you were et to pvp status or just npc’s and park the ship wherever it’s at and blow everything away. Free roam. Reverse engineering ship parts to make them better. The trandoshan repeater cannon everyone was after cuz it looked like a laser gatlin gun. Only given out by one npc for a one time quest per character. Walking around on your ship nonchalantly admiring your ship. Ahhh the good times. I was spoiled on JTL so when I played GSF it sucked. Can’t even choose where you’re flying too. Sure graphics are better. But it’s the freedom and the options that made JTL the best. I dream of the day BW moves GSF in that direction. I’d play all day long. Screw the class stories and tedious character gearing. Space was my final frontier.

Not sure why this was necro’ed, but...

Having played beta for both JTL and GSF, there is an obvious area or two where GSF shines over JTL... pvp Balance overall and objective-based pvp. People like you who wear the rose colored glasses about JTL forget pvp was pretty much just interceptors circling each other around 0,0,0 in deep space for a long while, until there was a significant balance pass with the nova Orion update and then the GCW Invasion changes. Ground SWG added battlegrounds copying from WOW and JTL would have benefitted from this as well. JTL provided tools for custom content long before GSF got it, but it didn’t have the objectives or balance that custom content requires as a foundation, so event-makers had to make up rules like “You couldn’t fly the Jedi Starfighter.”

I would appreciate more customization in GSF, like there was in JTL. For example, I hate the look of burst lasers on the Sting. I’d love to be able to change that, or choose from any of the available engine models for a ship regardless of the specific engine manuever I’ve chosen.

• 11 months later...
I miss SWG....

Same yep, every single day. :cool:

p.s. On-topic: JTL was def. "better" (regardless of out-dated graphics) .... However....

imho, if BioWare would allow for joystick support (no real pilot worth anything uses a mouse lol ) and then just simply expand GSF to have PVE missions (no queue) plus open up the space zones outside of Fleet & Planets (the general code functionality already exists from Fleet to GavDaragon to Ziost Shadow triangle ship-to-ship travel) so we could fly our actual ships hyper'ing around, then GSF could potentially be "better" .

But thats a big 'IF' of course. :(

Edited by Nee-Elder

Same yep, every single day. :cool:

p.s. On-topic: JTL was def. "better" (regardless of out-dated graphics) .... However....

imho, if BioWare would allow for joystick support (no real pilot worth anything uses a mouse lol ) and then just simply expand GSF to have PVE missions (no queue) plus open up the space zones outside of Fleet & Planets (the general code functionality already exists from Fleet to GavDaragon to Ziost Shadow triangle ship-to-ship travel) so we could fly our actual ships hyper'ing around, then GSF could potentially be "better" .

But thats a big 'IF' of course. :(

Good news for you! There are ways to get a joystick working in GSF. It's objectively worse, but you can do it. Try searching the forums for it.

I have to find time to re-install SWG Legends for my new computer. Looking forward to trying out JTL for the first time, though I did get a small taste of it in the tutorial. Just got enough on my plate as is but I'll get around to it. Looking forward to recreating my GSF toons for it; I already recreated Sandy for it. I ought to find a Rebel guild too. I only ever beta tested SWG beforehand, and that was before JTL, obviously. It'll probably be a rocky ride being an older game, but I've taken my fare share of hacking strike fighters with protorps and gunships with rail guns in GSF that I am now one with the madness, so I should be good.

The customization. You were not restricted to 1 ship. I had like 8 ships. One being a luxury yacht you could decorate and live in with a view of space and any planet you’re nearby. The customization of the weapons, shields, reactors, engines etc... the paint job.

These things are already in SWTOR and GSF.

Edited by ForfiniteStories

Good news for you! There are ways to get a joystick working in GSF. It's objectively worse, but you can do it. Try searching the forums for it.

Interesting.... i'll look into it. Thanks.

----

These things are already in SWTOR and GSF.

Not really, since comparing deco in SWTOR to deco in SWG is like comparing a Fiat to a Ferrari. :cool:

(anyone who ever played JTL will know exactly what i mean)

Furthermore, in SWG , we could co-pilot & gunner in another player's ship. (in both PVP and PVE , as well as 'mining' in depths of Space )

You can hack a joystick configuration into working with GSF, but it will play badly.

If they designed the game so it played better with joysticks, the entry free for being good at it would include a $500 stick-and-throttle setup, and playing effectively against these players with just a keyboard and mouse would be basically impossible. There's a limit to the number of times people are willing to beat their heads against that wall before they give up and either leave or just stop caring about anything but the daily, some achievements, conquest, or their tech fragments.

• 2 weeks later...

as someone who plays SWG on the Prophecy server (https://swgprophecy.com/portal.php) We have space zones, but not with capture the flag like mechanics. It's a sandbox game so we can create our own mechanics and do whatever we want as it is a space sim. Capture the flag has been done in SWG and we do have pvp zones even in space.

As for game play, you're talking an arcade shooter versus a complex pvp flight sim where your parts matter and the time invested into creating said parts. Space RE took a simple shooter and increased it's complexity by 100x. The raw loot you'd get could be combined into something like voltron. Gaining the best benefits of all parts combined. Thus giving your ship a unique part to add to your build.

Depending your effort and parts, that can greatly change how you fly and what content you're capable of. Space parts would hit over a billion credits in value due to the RNG nature.

As for PVP - extremely fast and furious. A skilled pvp pilot can fly the most unlikely of ships and dominate with the right setup. There is so much more customization available to the pilot and a ship that fits every style. Not always the high mass ships are the best at pvp. Sometimes a small fast ship geared correctly can be unstoppable.

PVE: A larger 3 gun ship will have the dps you need to take down gunboats and higher tier duties. Lot of content is dependent on your gearing and ability.

In all, JTL is the only RNG based legendary loot system that provides endless content by trying to 1 up your last RE to have even that much more of an edge over your enemy. It's a bit of a grind fest, but you have a lot more options of play-styles. Especially when it comes to community events.

You'll never see this in swtor.

Edited by djmurloc