A word to the joystick-botherers

Verain

Good luck with that as it's not real joystick support.

But I'm not going to continue to argue about it. I've made my point in my previous post.

You guys can now wallow in this thread knowing that people who want joystick support to play GSF can see through your elitists views.

Just know that your attitude won't encourage any of us to play GSF with you and it will die off.

Have fun /ignore thread and GSF till it gets real joystick support,

Icy, it's not an elitist view. As I posted above, I lobbied for joystick support in beta. But if you ever played SWG Jump to Lightspeed and manned a turret in one of the multiplayer ships, versus piloting a single-person Starfighter, you would remember that it was clunky and difficult to control a turret with a joystick versus a mouse. That's because a turret is gimballed. No one in SWG ever complained, insisted, or campaigned to get those turrets changed, even though SWG supported joysticks natively. The control scheme here in GSF is just like that, because the guns of your Starfighter are gimballed. Targeting reticules are tied to ship steering in a way that can't be separated. The time to massively and completely change the control scheme for GSF was back in beta.

Look nobody complains about having to use third party stuff to:

Broadcast and stream their gameplay

Have boss timers and raid stats via overlays from StarParse

Talk to their colleagues on VoIP programs like mumble, discord, ventrilo, teamspeak

What we are trying to explain is that if joystick support was implemented correctly, then it would by its very nature permanently fix the target reticule in the center of the firing arc. It would remove the gimballing entirely, just like it was piloting a single person Starfighter in SWG. This changes the nature of GSF's shooting and flying mechanics in a way that I don't think anyone is capable of predicting, good or bad.

But if you are satisfied with a control system that is going to be just like when you used a joystick to control the turrets in a POB ship, then there are posters who can help you do that.

What we are trying to explain is that if joystick support was implemented correctly, then it would by its very nature permanently fix the target reticule in the center of the firing arc.

I mean, a "correct' version might continue to allow for mouse or trackpad or hat usage to move the reticule. Certainly, a correct control would offer more degrees of control than a mouse.

It would remove the gimballing entirely, just like it was piloting a single person Starfighter in SWG.

I sort of assume this would be under the "bad" heading, if the joystick users had different things that they were controlling relative to a mouse user.

Been playing Elite: Dangerous with KB&M since launch and it handles fine having a very similar flight mechanic to GSF.

Elite Dangerous has no shortage of drama threads about its K+M versus HOTAS setup. It also has the idea of fixed versus gimballed weapons. It is very clear that the devs spent a ton of time trying to make it fair. Also note that the entirety of the game is not just pvp, as it is with GSF.

Good luck with that as it's not real joystick support.

I mean, in the first post I refer to this as the "terrible joystick support" category. I certainly agree with you that it isn't "real" joystick support. Real joystick support lets you control the ship directly instead of leading it around by the nose with a reticule, and it has a corresponding effect on the gameplay and game balance. Hence this thread.

people who want joystick support to play GSF can see through your elitists views

Dude, "elitist"? Are you serious? What reasoning have we been using that is "elitist"? Did you even read the thread?

• 3 weeks later...

There are two options for joystick support.

Either can be controlled GSF worse than with mouse, then it no one will use with it.

Or it's better, it's an unfair advantage for people who are getting a joystick.

Btw: Freelancer, the best space game of the early 2000s also had no joystick support.

• 2 years later...