Ahsoka Tano, why the hate?

I really don't get some of you. You do realize, that those of you that "hate" on her, actually hate on a character that was intended to be "cute" and "silly" and "empowering" for little girls in an animated series made for kids right? THE FACT that the show actually changed gears after two seasons and suddenly became all adult, is a different story.

If anything, she's one of the most interesting characters on the SHOW, and I would hope that we haven't seen the last of her, or Ventress for that matter.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't get some of you. You do realize, that those of you that "hate" on her, actually hate on a character that was intended to be "cute" and "silly" and "empowering" for little girls in an animated series made for kids right? THE FACT that the show actually changed gears after two seasons and suddenly became all adult, is a different story.

If anything, she's one of the most interesting characters on the SHOW, and I would hope that we haven't seen the last of her, or Ventress for that matter.

Well I'm not a little girl.

Ok going to come in and say it.... she is not OP.

She was coming close to knight hood. This is in the golden era of Jedi.

I want every one to think about this for a second. Technology gets better all the time and so do tech users abilities thanks to this tech. The force stays thus the average force user needs to get better and better to keep up with the tech.

This is why its the golden era of the Jedi, while the top jedi from all eras are around equal, to keep up with the tech users getting better and better equipment the AVERAGE knight and what the amount of skill that was needed to be a knight in the field also went up and up as if the Average Force user stayed the same while tech got better many of those Force users would inevitably just be killed more and more often. In fact they likely were meaning the ones that actually made it to knight hood were again on average slightly better then their predecessors. And because of that they made better masters thus able to defend their padawans better thus allowing more to make it at higher levles.... stacks on top of each other for endless loop.

Point is as tech got better the Average knight got better to. She was likely of a caliber slightly higher then the average knight after all her master WAS Anakin.

For the whole my disaproval of her concept pretty much what the one guy said about shoe horning in. With the movies I felt it was handled better. A brothers and sisters love is believable. Look at Owen in the first movie with Beru... "Luke's just not a farmer Owen, he has to much of his father in him........ That's what I'm afraid of" in a way you can kind of see for shadowing there about Luke's father. Obviously you wouldnt want Luke to follow his father's foot steps and since he was so interested in his father through out all of the movies its very believable that Ben would lie to keep that under wraps out of fear the Luke may willingly join up if he knew the truth, or that when they sent him after Vader he wouldnt be able to kill him.

Now the Ahsoka thing, they have pretty much out right stated that she was created to give younger people some one to relate to. The issue is the Clone wars era was already done before the 3rd movie came out for the specific purpose to build up hype for and set up that 3rd movie. We had games a tv series and comics all of which followed around the same line. We had comics of some of the dark times and books that took place before RotJ with Luke or with Vader. We had all kinds of media surrounding Vader and especially Anakin for around when the movies came out..... and in NONE of them was an apprentice from the Clone wars time ever mentioned.

Now obviously they wanted some one to have the kids relate to, but instead of making that person.... I dont know THE HERO OF THE STORY, the one that Star Wars is supposed to be about Anakin they instead decided to shoe horn in a character no one had ever heard of in all of the sources to come before it. In an era and a time that had already been heavily explored in other media's whilst also retconning a TV show that they themselves already released ON THE SAME CHANNEL with an extremely similar art style (one was 2D the other 3D art direction about the same) heck even the voice actors were the same for the most part and that had already been perfectly fit into continuity. And of course she HAS to be Anakin's apprentice because they didnt want to change Obi-wan's and Anakin's relationship. Of course the first thing they did was release a movie long before the show came out.... I saw the movie..... her presence pissed me off.

I was like "Anakin never had an apprentice, he wasnt a knight for very long. This is wrong, this is foul, they already showed the clone wars in the shorts that came out before Episode 3 why are they doing this again. This character was clearly only made for kids to relate to because the writers didnt trust in their ability to make the main character and hero of this portion of the story Anakin relatable enough to the general audience. If they couldnt make Anakin relateable enough they shouldnt have tried by shoe horning in a stupid little kid character that never should have existed....... why does this thing exist AAAHHHHHHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHA"

That was me... and that was why I originally avoided the clone wars show (I saw the movie... i still think its garbage) and just when I was about to watch it cus i was hearing it was pretty good. They bring back Maul and I have an even greater rage..... he was cut in half.... he is dead, he went into shock after being sliced in half and fell down a botomless shaft all while uncontrolably flopping around every bone in his body is broken, by the time his body would have hit the floor it would have been going fast enough that brain matter would have splattered every where, and somebody would have had to go down their and clean up if his body just up and disapeared I think some one should have noticed... just thinking about it is kind of making me angry.... he should be dead. I get people were all like OOOOH AAAAHH double bladed light saber and that fight was awesome and blah blah making this largely silent villain popular, but that is a stupid reason to bring him back for the dead for me.... so that stopped me from checking it out further.... I still think Maul's "resurection" is stupid, but I am not against any one that liked it.... I just never will.

Edited by tunewalker

She was coming close to knight hood. This is in the golden era of Jedi...

tl;dr

Anyway Anakin even said that she might be too young to even be a padawan so I doubt that she was close to knighthood.

tl;dr

Anyway Anakin even said that she might be too young to even be a padawan so I doubt that she was close to knighthood.

In the end she was close to knight hood by the way the council treats her.

She may have been younger, but that just means she advanced fairly quickly and that she was as Stated a far above average for a Jedi.

In the end she was close to knight hood by the way the council treats her.

She may have been younger, but that just means she advanced fairly quickly and that she was as Stated a far above average for a Jedi.

My point exactly, too strong.

My point exactly, too strong.

She was given to Anakin as an apprentice specifically because she was a lot like him.... that strength included.

She was above average, but not obscenely strong... also only the first part of the TL: DR was about the average of a knight.

In other words, if the apprentice was not strong then anakin never would have been given the apprentice.

Edited by tunewalker

She was given to Anakin as an apprentice specifically because she was a lot like him.... that strength included.

She was above average, but not obscenely strong... also only the first part of the TL: DR was about the average of a knight.

In other words, if the apprentice was not strong then anakin never would have been given the apprentice.

I don't think jedi work like that, that pros can't train noobs. Sounds more like the sith to me.

Anyway above avarage or not she was just a padawan fighting enemies who killed jedi masters with ease.

I don't think jedi work like that, that pros can't train noobs. Sounds more like the sith to me.

Anyway above avarage or not she was just a padawan fighting enemies who killed jedi masters with ease.

your again forgetting why he was given the apprentice. To teach him patience. The council looked at the problems Anakin had so they decided to give him a padawan similar that way in solving her problems he would solve his own. The master must learn from the apprentice as much as the apprentice learns from the master.

Also remember that there is more to being a master then strength in the Jedi order and there is circumstance to everything.

also this "Kills masters with ease" remember no matter how much we hate it the original clone wars isnt cannon.... thus he never killed masters with ease.

Edited by tunewalker

your again forgetting why he was given the apprentice. To teach him patience. The council looked at the problems Anakin had so they decided to give him a padawan similar that way in solving her problems he would solve his own. The master must learn from the apprentice as much as the apprentice learns from the master.

Also remember that there is more to being a master then strength in the Jedi order and there is circumstance to everything.

also this "Kills masters with ease" remember no matter how much we hate it the original clone wars isnt cannon.... thus he never killed masters with ease.

Padawan, mr Walker, is the word your looking for ... Padawan !!;)

TL;DR

Actually, Star Wars tech seems to have remained relatively stagnant over the last few thousand years. Blasters are still blasters and there doesn't seem to have been a jump in their firepower. Even the size of the ships, their speed, and their armament doesn't seem to have increased from TOR to TCW.

So that throws out your theory of TCW Jedi needing to be better than the tech users.

As for she being better because Anakin was her master, well, we can all tell the Anakin's knowledge of the Force was severely lacking. He was overconfident, reckless, and tended to rely on sheer power over knowledge to get things done. Not exactly the best teacher material.

She was coming close to knight hood. This is in the golden era of Jedi.

I want every one to think about this for a second. Technology gets better all the time and so do tech users abilities thanks to this tech. The force stays thus the average force user needs to get better and better to keep up with the tech.

This is why its the golden era of the Jedi, while the top jedi from all eras are around equal, to keep up with the tech users getting better and better equipment the AVERAGE knight and what the amount of skill that was needed to be a knight in the field also went up and up as if the Average Force user stayed the same while tech got better many of those Force users would inevitably just be killed more and more often. In fact they likely were meaning the ones that actually made it to knight hood were again on average slightly better then their predecessors. And because of that they made better masters thus able to defend their padawans better thus allowing more to make it at higher levles.... stacks on top of each other for endless loop.

Point is as tech got better the Average knight got better to. She was likely of a caliber slightly higher then the average knight after all her master WAS Anakin.

For the whole my disaproval of her concept pretty much what the one guy said about shoe horning in. With the movies I felt it was handled better. A brothers and sisters love is believable. Look at Owen in the first movie with Beru... "Luke's just not a farmer Owen, he has to much of his father in him........ That's what I'm afraid of" in a way you can kind of see for shadowing there about Luke's father. Obviously you wouldnt want Luke to follow his father's foot steps and since he was so interested in his father through out all of the movies its very believable that Ben would lie to keep that under wraps out of fear the Luke may willingly join up if he knew the truth, or that when they sent him after Vader he wouldnt be able to kill him.

Now the Ahsoka thing, they have pretty much out right stated that she was created to give younger people some one to relate to. The issue is the Clone wars era was already done before the 3rd movie came out for the specific purpose to build up hype for and set up that 3rd movie. We had games a tv series and comics all of which followed around the same line. We had comics of some of the dark times and books that took place before RotJ with Luke or with Vader. We had all kinds of media surrounding Vader and especially Anakin for around when the movies came out..... and in NONE of them was an apprentice from the Clone wars time ever mentioned.

Now obviously they wanted some one to have the kids relate to, but instead of making that person.... I dont know THE HERO OF THE STORY, the one that Star Wars is supposed to be about Anakin they instead decided to shoe horn in a character no one had ever heard of in all of the sources to come before it. In an era and a time that had already been heavily explored in other media's whilst also retconning a TV show that they themselves already released ON THE SAME CHANNEL with an extremely similar art style (one was 2D the other 3D art direction about the same) heck even the voice actors were the same for the most part and that had already been perfectly fit into continuity. And of course she HAS to be Anakin's apprentice because they didnt want to change Obi-wan's and Anakin's relationship. Of course the first thing they did was release a movie long before the show came out.... I saw the movie..... her presence pissed me off.

I was like "Anakin never had an apprentice, he wasnt a knight for very long. This is wrong, this is foul, they already showed the clone wars in the shorts that came out before Episode 3 why are they doing this again. This character was clearly only made for kids to relate to because the writers didnt trust in their ability to make the main character and hero of this portion of the story Anakin relatable enough to the general audience. If they couldnt make Anakin relateable enough they shouldnt have tried by shoe horning in a stupid little kid character that never should have existed....... why does this thing exist AAAHHHHHHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHA"

That was me... and that was why I originally avoided the clone wars show (I saw the movie... i still think its garbage) and just when I was about to watch it cus i was hearing it was pretty good. They bring back Maul and I have an even greater rage..... he was cut in half.... he is dead, he went into shock after being sliced in half and fell down a botomless shaft all while uncontrolably flopping around every bone in his body is broken, by the time his body would have hit the floor it would have been going fast enough that brain matter would have splattered every where, and somebody would have had to go down their and clean up if his body just up and disapeared I think some one should have noticed... just thinking about it is kind of making me angry.... he should be dead. I get people were all like OOOOH AAAAHH double bladed light saber and that fight was awesome and blah blah making this largely silent villain popular, but that is a stupid reason to bring him back for the dead for me.... so that stopped me from checking it out further.... I still think Maul's "resurection" is stupid, but I am not against any one that liked it.... I just never will.

First of all I think your reasoning is sound from what perspective you are watching the saga; but before I write what's on my mind - ... the word your looking for ... again ... is Padawan!!

Let me see now, you don't have a problem with; a force that connects all things, persons who hone their skill in using this Force, Hyperdrive, being able to leap left and right and up in great distances ... I could go on and on ... My love for the SW saga is that, in order to enjoy it, you must buy in to the whole thing and enjoy things and moments like this; rebel base invaded or even

to ever accept moment like
. Now if you're gonna be upset by a write in that in the end adds depth to the story, how do you feel about
, And who did shoot first Han or Creedo? The concept you are trying to work out is called fiction, and the hatred all SW haters that loves SW give words to is a verbalizing frustration of not being in control, nothing more, nothing less. Edited by t-darko

I've ALWAYS had a special place in my heart for Ashoka for one simple reason....she's the reason my 12 & 11yr olds like star wars. Before the clone wars movie (cartoon), SW to them was "that annoying movie daddy likes so much". But with Ashoka they found a character THEY could relate to. Then they wanted to know more about the SW universe. They became fans.

I've ALWAYS had a special place in my heart for Ashoka for one simple reason....she's the reason my 12 & 11yr olds like star wars. Before the clone wars movie (cartoon), SW to them was "that annoying movie daddy likes so much". But with Ashoka they found a character THEY could relate to. Then they wanted to know more about the SW universe. They became fans.

I could not agree more! I would argue that her purpose in TCW was to connect with kids. She was the padowan that any kid would want to be. Older people like us may be less likely to connect with Tano, but in my opinion "the next generation" of star wars fans do connect with her. I personally do not think that we have seen the last of her, and that is fine by me.

First of all I think your reasoning is sound from what perspective you are watching the saga; but before I write what's on my mind - ... the word your looking for ... again ... is Padawan!!

Let me see now, you don't have a problem with; a force that connects all things, persons who hone their skill in using this Force, Hyperdrive, being able to leap left and right and up in great distances ... I could go on and on ... My love for the SW saga is that, in order to enjoy it, you must buy in to the whole thing and enjoy things and moments like this; rebel base invaded or even

. Now if you're gonna be upset by a write in that in the end adds depth to the story, how do you feel about
, And who did shoot first Han or Creedo? The concept you are trying to work out is called fiction, and the hatred all SW haters that loves SW give words to is a verbalizing frustration of not being in control, nothing more, nothing less.

The Han and Greedo thing never really upset me because it wasnt putting an entire new character in that wasnt supposed to be there. It would be like if they added a 12 year old smuggling prodigy in with Han solo in that scene and instead of han it was han's prodige and then it starts following said prodige around instead of Han, Luke or Leia as this person goes saving person after person.

Now am I upset with what they eventually DO with Ahsoka.... no. I want every one to note that the way they handle her in the end is very good. They took a very stupid idea and made the best of it ultimately makeing a character that I dont like in concept, but one that I DO like in excecution. Any one that knows me KNOWS that for me the excecution is hundreds full more important then the concept.

, And who did shoot first Han or Creedo? The concept you are trying to work out is called fiction, and the hatred all SW haters that loves SW give words to is a verbalizing frustration of not being in control, nothing more, nothing less.
I must admit, when people try and argue that Maul shouldn't have survived because he couldn't have survived I do laugh... I mean really, its fiction. Sith happens.
Any one that knows me KNOWS that for me the excecution is hundreds full more important then the concept.
And yet you reject Maul's very existence because the concept is implausible... yah. Edited by Beniboybling

I must admit, when people try and argue that Maul shouldn't have survived because he couldn't have survived I do laugh... I mean really, its fiction. Sith happens.And yet you reject Maul's very existence because the concept is implausible... yah.

No I reject it because the explination of how he survived is dumb and poorly executed.... how did he survive?.... cus he did.

They never really awnser that question. Thats poor execution. And to top it off they didnt do enough with that character for me to forgive the other.

Ahsoka is a different story.

Also not just implausible, but given the rules the universe has estabilished and the poor explination of how it happened (see no explination) its impossible. That is all poor execution. If they had found a way to bring him back with some semblance of an explination the exucution MIGHT forgive it, but just bringing him back cus reasons is poor execution.

Edit: also clearly shows how well you know me :p (see not at all)

Edited by tunewalker

No I reject it because the explination of how he survived is dumb and poorly executed.... how did he survive?.... cus he did.

They never really awnser that question. Thats poor execution. And to top it off they didnt do enough with that character for me to forgive the other.

Ahsoka is a different story.

Also not just implausible, but given the rules the universe has estabilished and the poor explination of how it happened (see no explination) its impossible.

The reason was partly explained in TCW and then explored further in a novel:

However, Maul managed to survive his defeat at the hands of Kenobi. Through his hate and will to live, as well as his hatred against Kenobi, he reached out with the Force and grabbed an air vent. He went down the reactor shaft and landed in water. The Sith Lord was then dumped into a container, which was taken to Lotho Minor. As he lay submerged, he fell into unconsciousness, cursing Kenobi.

Arriving at his destination, Maul woke up. He activated his lightsaber and carved his way out of the container, screaming with rage. He struggled to move on through the junkyard world. Soon, he encountered insects the size of his arm and managed to crush one with his own left hand before using his teeth to rip a leg off. But as he started eating, the Sith Lord heard a scream coming from his right.

A sly and mysterious Anacondan named Morley was slithering away in fright from one of Lotho Minor's gigantic machines, the Fire Breather. Maul threw his lightsaber with the Force directly at the Fire Breather's head, piercing it through. The machine instantly fell to the ground, the fire from its mouth extinguished. His weapon returned to him, Maul once again blacked out. Morley wrapped the Zabrak in his coils and brought him into the caves of the planet, which would eventually become his sanctuary.

Maul reawakened and, with all of his anger, was able to use the Force to acquire a six-legged arachnid-like cybernetic apparatus to replace his lost lower body. For twelve years, Maul's memories were lost and he was in a state of near-madness, eating only the small animals that came to the cave, aided in obtaining shelter and sustenance only by Morley, but the only thing he remembered was Obi-Wan Kenobi and how he took his legs.

--Taken from Wookieepedia, Source: The Sith Hunters

Really though when I first saw Maul holed up on a junk planet with spider legs as such, I didn't question it, because it was fantasy, I went with the flow. And it fit with the fantasy feel, this idea of demons coming back to haunt you and such with mysterious explanations. The Force doesn't make sense either, then they explained it...

I realise this is a matter of perspective, but we can't forget this is a fantasy universe where the impossible is possible and doesn't always need an explanation, which in part IMO enriches the fantasy experience.

P.S. The Maul related episodes, especially The Lawless & Revenge are widely regarded as some of the best episodes of bunch, and Maul is definitely one of my favourite TCW characters, but each to their own I guess.

P.P.S. I do hope you didn't avoid those episodes just because of this, because that would be silly.

Edited by Beniboybling