Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

If There Are No More Class Stories...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Suggestion Box
If There Are No More Class Stories...

MasterPromithes
03.24.2014 , 05:58 PM | #1
For the longest time BioWare has said that certain races were off limits due to the fact that they needed to have dialogue for the story. However since BioWare has dropped continuing the player stories, what is really holding them back from adding the races that we love (such as Rodian, Trandoshan, Wookie, etc) to the list of playable choices?

[Edit]
I realize that the development team is small, however they could release a group of new playable races in one of the smaller expansions (GSF and the new GSH being examples of smaller expansions) or make them available through the Cartel Market.
Jolee Bindo=Resident badarse of the Old Republic

Quote: Originally Posted by EranofArcadia View Post
The capacity of the human spirit to find new things to argue about always inspires me.

JamieKirby
03.25.2014 , 06:46 PM | #2
This is why i never keep hope alive for mmo and story, even though its bioware, i personally think they should have ignored what their EA Partners abnormal greed was screaming for and just made the game that THEY wanted to make and not the game we got.

Ultimately, the stories is whats keeping me playing, i mean, if there is no more story at all, this game will turn into wow with sci-fi elements, then my sub will end and i will go back to wow.

DarthDymond
03.25.2014 , 09:18 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by MasterPromithes View Post
For the longest time BioWare has said that certain races were off limits due to the fact that they needed to have dialogue for the story. However since BioWare has dropped continuing the player stories, what is really holding them back from adding the races that we love (such as Rodian, Trandoshan, Wookie, etc) to the list of playable choices?

[Edit]
I realize that the development team is small, however they could release a group of new playable races in one of the smaller expansions (GSF and the new GSH being examples of smaller expansions) or make them available through the Cartel Market.
Because nothing about the original justification has changed.

Even though there are no more class stories, pretty much every content patch has still included new story content... with dialogue. From the relatively small amount we saw in 2.3 and 2.6 in the one-off quests for CZ-198 and KDY, to the fairly elaborate quest line (for a non-"expansion" patch) with multiple dialogue interludes we got for Oricon, Dread Fortress and Dread Palace in 2.4. And all indications are that 2.7 is going to be launching a new story arc that lets your character interact (i.e. speak with) characters like Theron Shan.

Makeb itself is part of the post-class-story era, but your character spends about as much time talking there as s/he did during any given stretch of her/his class story. There are even still romance options there (and in 2.3 as well for that matter) so even though companion romances seem to have stalled out as part of this shift, romances in general have not.

If the original justification doesn't fly for you, then I don't blame you for continuing to be upset that BioWare has made this decision in the first place. But nothing relevant to that justification has changed just because the focus has shifted from a mix of Class and Faction stories to exclusively Faction-based stories.
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate, and thus defy the tyrannous stars. ~Kain

Refer A Friend Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/2gNj3d to get the free stuff detailed here

JediRelentless
03.26.2014 , 05:37 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by MasterPromithes View Post
Any new playable species still have to properly function and participate in the class and non class stories/dialogue and romances that exist in the game.

Fidelicatessen
03.26.2014 , 05:42 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by JamieKirby View Post
This is why i never keep hope alive for mmo and story, even though its bioware, i personally think they should have ignored what their EA Partners abnormal greed was screaming for and just made the game that THEY wanted to make and not the game we got.
You've got it wrong: Bioware and EA are not partners. EA owns Bioware. In fact, you could think of Bioware as EA with a different sign.

The Bioware that you remember? It's gone. Since they have a better reputation than EA, though (or at least they did), EA finds it useful to have a division called "Bioware."

swtonewbie
03.26.2014 , 06:09 AM | #6
I've been gone for about 6 months, so i'm trying to remember how these discussions went back when i was around.

I remember participating in some of the discussions about why we wont get certain races. I believe some of the reasons were technical, such as getting a wookie or a nautolan to fit into a quest dialogue window. One time i made a comparison and i started a conversation with my smuggler and Corso as my comp, then i exited and restarted the same conversation with Bowdaar as my comp. Corso's head was showing, but Bowdaars head was completely cut off by the edge of the screen. The other reasons such as Rodians not being kissable...i dont know if its true or not, but all i can do is throw my hands up and say whatever. I cant remember if that was verified as a dev saying it or a bunch of people just saying it.

Also there was the language thing to consider like Shrillwook (sp), huttese and whatever. Apparently a bunch of people found that listening to wookies talk is annoying. I actually mentioned that non english/basic languages would be easier to implement. It's not like they are speaking Klingon which actually has a dictionary dedicated to it. You could take several sound clips and loop and attach them and it could be gibberish and it would work because the words being said dont have to match the actual dialogue. One of the voice actors pronounced the rank ensign wrong...they said N-sign instead of N-sin...sign as in stop sign rather then sin as in stealing is a sin. A mistake like that is noticeable for anyone paying attention to it. If they started reading their dialogue backwards you would notice it too. But take a 10 second loop of wookie grunting and play it backwards or frontwards and you cant tell the difference. But like i said none of that matters because people thought that wookies talking was annoying, or that it wasnt something they could relate to.

SWTOR has a great questing system...but like i always say, their greatest feature ends up being their biggest limiting factor. I just hope that every race we get isnt body type 1-4 but with more fur, or more tentacles, or more face paint, or more scales. And that somehow they can introduce a new class. At this point i dont care if they have Doris the lunch lady and Cletus the janitor doing the voiceover work for the new class, as long as it gets done.
I'm not really a noob...