Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?

pmatisz
01.21.2012 , 07:08 PM | #111
Quote: Originally Posted by FredKang View Post
Its' not a hardship but something I shouldn't have to deal with. Just as you want to have a relationship in a way that's comfortable to you so do I want the same thing in my own way.
Then don't deal with it. Just don't hit the flirt option for those characters (of either gender) that you don't want to flirt with. If the system was set up equally then we'd have the option one way or another. Right now we don't have any choice.

Now, if you're suggesting that there's a broader issue of you being uncomfortable "dealing with" content that isn't heteronormative, I'm afraid I'm less than sympathetic. Women and non-straight men have to deal with a lot of uncomfortable stuff in this world. Having to ignore a potentially same-sex flirt option in a video game is small change, dude.

Saying that it shouldn't be included because it might make you uncomfortable isn't really all that fair, is it?

EnufThree
01.21.2012 , 07:29 PM | #112
Its' not a hardship but something I shouldn't have to deal with. Just as you want to have a relationship in a way that's comfortable to you so do I want the same thing in my own way.
Are you being serious? Just don't hit the flirt option for any dudes...
I suppose getting a lyrium tattoo of breasts on my chest would make things better...

Baytree
01.21.2012 , 07:51 PM | #113
My question is will we have the ability to change the gender of our companions? Or to dismiss them and have them replaced? If this change goes into effect I think I should have the right to make my male character companions into females so I can avoid being hit on by a male companion since this is of no interest to me. After all if we are going to allow same gender then we should allow an opposite only option for those who prefer that path.

Frankly, I'm still a little lost as to why it makes you uncomfortable. Does it make you uncomfortable because you WANT to flirt with that companion? Is it tempting you? Is that why you're uncomfortable? I'm asking you because the only way you will have to deal with being 'hit on' is if you 'hit on' them first.

If you do somehow attract unwanted attention it's not the end of the world I promise you. You'll be okay. If you're not sure how to deal with unwanted attention, just ask any of the girls you know and she'll explain it to you.

StSathar
01.21.2012 , 11:22 PM | #114
Please don't feed the trolls, people. Thanks to elexier we're on page 12 of a remarkably civil and illuminating discussion, but it's starting to devolve. Stay on target.

Hmm, my fourth post in this thread and I still haven't answered the OP's question. Probably because I don't know enough to make that choice. Whether Bioware implements something more like 2A or 2B or a mix of the two or something else entirely is pretty much out of my control. Like many, I will adapt to whatever happens, but would love some information in order to plan.

I'm not the kind of player to generate a stable of alts. I have two characters now, an assassin in the mid-30s who isn't particularly interested in building a romantic relationship with anyone (though this could change), and a smuggler in his 20's who has no desire to deal with the ladies, is a bit miffed that Corso never opens up, and frankly who I'm reluctant to play further until I know if I'm going to have to reroll him from scratch.

I have friends interested in playing every single class for its story, and with Legacy BW obviously wants to encourage that behavior, but I already find leveling one Imperial-force-wielder and one Republic-non-force-sensitive to be tedious and repetitive. I prefer to focus on one or two characters only, and this whole subject is really hamstringing my progress. Do I wait, or do I level only to miss my chance and have to start over? Worse, do I level to 50 as a chaste monk, and suddenly flower a year from now in some expansion that hasn't even been announced yet?

Brosephiine
01.22.2012 , 03:01 AM | #115
I'm just gonna throw this out there... I've never actually seen a blue post on the WoW forums close a thread and then provide a link the first thread.

Kudos to Bioware.

A system run by the ergophobic
is destined for failure.

Uluain
01.22.2012 , 03:53 AM | #116
That was nice, but it would be better to hear from Bioware regarding - loosely - when they expect to honor this commitment and interesting to hear how they are considering going about it.

It is not a matter of "should they or shouldn't they". They have said they will. So, when and how?

I understand that the ways in which companions enter the story does make this hard for Bioware to easily implement, but I would prefer more choice in the companions I receive.

And rather than feed the trolls, I will leave it at that.

thegrognard
01.22.2012 , 04:17 AM | #117
Edit: not going to feed trolls

I just hope this isn't too hard to impliment as many people have been saying they probably have spare dialog hanging around all over the place and just havn't yet programmed in the same-sex relationship yet. Will have to wait for more info and a timeframe.

elexier
01.22.2012 , 10:27 AM | #118
I am positively ecstatic about the sheer number of responses, Would be nice if the next patch was something of a Social Update, Fixing SGR, /jokes ect.

Keep the positive attitude going, I have a feeling that this "MAY" get forwarded to the guys/gals at Bioware at this rate . (Keep em crossed)

thegrognard
01.22.2012 , 10:32 AM | #119
Quote: Originally Posted by elexier View Post
I am positively ecstatic about the sheer number of responses, Would be nice if the next patch was something of a Social Update, Fixing SGR, /jokes ect.

Keep the positive attitude going, I have a feeling that this "MAY" get forwarded to the guys/gals at Bioware at this rate . (Keep em crossed)
They've probably seen it already. Those devs are everywhere *shift eyes*

Zebular
01.22.2012 , 11:11 AM | #120
I am male, I play 6 male characters and 2 female characters. I am in favor of same-gender romances. Before I start deciding how I think it would work best in the game, I would first like to see how BioWare plans to implement it.

I do not feel a proper opinion of such is something I can make without knowing what BioWare has planned and why. Regardless, I still feel this is a feature that should be in the game and am pleased to know that it has been a planned feature for some time now.
~Zebular, Miraluka Jedi Shadow of the Zebulon Order (The Ebon Hawk)
■■■■۝▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓)