Cast for Star Wars VII Released

StarSquirrel

My biggest concern though is the 1/7 female/male ratio.

Totally agree. The books, the comics, the games, even the Clone Wars series have plenty of interesting and well-written female characters. Only the "core" six movies are woefully lacking in this regard - and now Episode VII wants to follow that trend?

:(

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your entitled to your opinion, but you need to be prepared to be told that your wrong.

But I'm not wrong, you are.

About the look, since that's totally subjective no one's opinion is less valid than others, so no one is wrong there.

About the experience, you are wrong. 1 year vs 10 years is not even comperable. You want to give her the benefit of the doubt? Good for you. But I don't, because she has 0 experience. You act like there were no bad casting decisions in previous SW movies, when we both know that's not true.

So don't tell me that I'm wrong when that's clearly not the case.

But I'm not wrong, you are.

About the look, since that's totally subjective no one's opinion is less valid than others, so no one is wrong there.

About the experience, you are wrong. 1 year vs 10 years is not even comperable. You want to give her the benefit of the doubt? Good for you. But I don't, because she has 0 experience. You act like there were no bad casting decisions in previous SW movies, when we both know that's not true.

So don't tell me that I'm wrong when that's clearly not the case.

No its not an opinion, you can't tell someone's character purely from their appearance, funnily enough people are born looking like "brats" and photos designed for media purposes aren't going to tell you jack squat about her. This is you being petty. 1 year of experience =/= 0 experience, obviously. And obviously she's had an acting career outside those roles else she'd never have been picked in the first place. Nor is no. of years indicative of experience either, I can think of better, younger actors than Hamill and Fisher with far less experience. So yes, you are wrong on both accounts. Edited by Beniboybling

I can't believe I missed this. Not good.

Hopefully the female lead will be more than some princess in need of saving. But the lack of any supporting female characters at all (so far) is very concerning. Especially because it decreases the chances that there will be a non-stereotypical, kick-butt type of woman in the cast.

I really wanted a female Sith villain. :confused:

I think she is probably going to be one of the two "young teen" (leads?) roles that was mentioned early on, I assume the young guy is the other one. But like Dymond said this is twice as many as usual, lol. :p

And yeah... so did I.

Edited by Beniboybling

You are so full of it...

No its not an opinion, you can't tell someone's character purely from their appearance, funnily enough people are born looking like "brats" and photos designed for media purposes aren't going to tell you jack squat about her. This is you being petty.

Don't like my opinion? That's your problem, but what you just said makes no sense and it's utterly ridiculous.

1 year of experience =/= 0 experience, obviously. And obviously she's had an acting career outside those roles else she'd never have been picked in the first place.

1 year TV career IS 0 experience when we are talking about a big Hollywood project like Star Wars. You can keep denying it, doesn't change the fact.

Nor is no. of years indicative of experience either, I can think of better, younger actors than Hamill and Fisher with far less experience.

What? This doesn't makes sense. No sorry, it just doesn't.

So yes, you are wrong on both accounts.

Sigh, you are the type of guy who never acknowledge when he is wrong. Don't worry I've gotten used to that type on the internet, but I'm just gona stop bothering with you.

Sigh, you are the type of guy who never acknowledge when he is wrong. Don't worry I've gotten used to that type on the internet, but I'm just gona stop bothering with you.
Dismissing my points as making "no sense" and calling me "full of it" doesn't exactly work wonders with this statement now does it? I think ditto covers this, just switch guy for girl. Edited by Beniboybling

Max Von Sydow has been around. not quite obscure. A quick check of IMDB shows a few roles I know he has been in.

Shutter Island - Dr. Naehring

Dune - Doctor Kynes

Never Say Never Again - Ernst Stavro Blofeld

Conan the Barbarian - King Osric

Flash Gordon - The Emperor Ming "The Merciless"

The Exorcist and Exorcist II: The Heretic - Father Merrin

he's even played Jesus

The Greatest Story Ever Told - Jesus

Don't forget Strange Brew with Rick Moranis and Dave Thomas!

Oscar Isaac was absolutely incredible in Inside Llewyn Davis. Whether you like the movie or not (I personally loved it), Isaac is a seriously talented actor (and musician!). I'm very excited about this casting.

Adam Driver was also excellent in Llewyn Davis, albeit in a much smaller role than Isaac. From what I HAVE seen of him and the interviews he has done, he seems like he has a lot of potential and I am optimistic to see what he can do with the role.

Besides the OT cast, the only name that excites me is Max Von Sydow. It's a shame that he's only been brought up a few times in this thread and curious that no one has mentioned Wild Strawberries or The Seventh Seal, ranked #16 and #3, respectively, by the AFI in the Top100 Foreign Language Film category.

Besides the OT cast, the only name that excites me is Max Von Sydow. It's a shame that he's only been brought up a few times in this thread and curious that no one has mentioned Wild Strawberries or The Seventh Seal, ranked #16 and #3, respectively, by the AFI in the Top100 Foreign Language Film category.
...Probably why. I assume most people here speak English, and only English. :p
I for one enjoy seeing new faces and not the same old ones that every movie has.
To be honest its a trend, most of the main cast for the Prequel Trilogy were not big Hollywood names.

Noticing that Ewan Mcgregor and Natalie Portman didn't become what they are today until after Star Wars.

Edited by Beniboybling

Totally agree. The books, the comics, the games, even the Clone Wars series have plenty of interesting and well-written female characters. Only the "core" six movies are woefully lacking in this regard - and now Episode VII wants to follow that trend?

:(

Some hope on this front actually: Daisy Ridley likely will be joined by another actress in a major role, according to sources

Eh, I'm dubious about "sources". I'll wait till an official release. That said, Carrie Fisher didn't have much in the way of experience and she did just fine so I'm not terribly worried. Oh, and she was the only female lead in the OT as well, as it appears (for now) Ridley will be.

Edited by StarSquirrel

Eh, I'm dubious about "sources". I'll wait till an official release. That said, Carrie Fisher didn't have much in the way of experience and she did just fine so I'm not terribly worried. Oh, and she was the only female lead in the OT as well, as it appears (for now) Ridley will be.
On the topic of Carrie Fisher, I'm actually quite excited for her appearance in the ST, she may have been out of action for a while but she's got like twice as much character as before.

Really the all have, which is what I'm looking forward to the most.

1 year TV career IS 0 experience when we are talking about a big Hollywood project like Star Wars. You can keep denying it, doesn't change the fact.

I gather you're talking about Daisy Ridley?

Note that she has 7 credits to her name, when Carrier Fisher only had 2 during her "8 years experience" before Star Wars (excluding the 1959 short). Years of experience are only meaningful when gainfully employed.

I spent the summer as a plumber's assistant in 1987. Does that mean I have 27 years experience in plumbing?

Edited by Khevar

I read somewhere a few months ago that Ian McDiarmid was going to play a Sidious Force Ghost. It seemed like one of the more concrete rumors but still a rumor. It appears either his role will be extremely small or (more likely IMO) he won't be in the movie at all :(

Not necessarily. J.J. has a habit of throwing in surprise cameos. The last (terrible) Star Trek movie is a great example (unannounced return of Leonard Nimoy).

- Arcada

Edited by Nydus

• 1 month later...
Wow, you can tell she's a 13 year old brat just by looking at her?

Hamill, Fisher and Ford had 'no experience' either. You are jumping to early conclusions.

Correction last I checked Ford was in American Graffiti pre star wars.

Correction last I checked Ford was in American Graffiti pre star wars.
As I pointed out when I said "no experience" I mean little experience, Daisey Ridely has experience.

However I find it telling that he got that role after being hired by Lucas to build some cabinets for him, lol.

*shrug* I wouldn't call those "big" movies. At least for the past decade.

Not to say he lacks experience.

Shutter Island was kind of a big film in the last decade, you should give it a watch, though it may not be your cup of tea, dont know till you check it out. :D.