The great XP nerf

DarthMaulUK

Ever since the arrival of the Cartel market I have always wondered how new players and those who arent lucky enough to have full legacy, cope.

I recently rolled a new toon on a US server, so no legacy, no money, nada. Having to start from scratch like I did on Dec 18th 2011. However, back then, the path to reaching level 50 was a lot quicker. I think it took me almost 5 days of straight playing between work etc to ding. Using a viable mix of class questing and Warzones.

Fast forward to today. 4 weeks in, I am sitting around level 32. I've been using XP boosts all the time, unlocked level 1 XP buff on my legacy for all the first tier unlocks on XP boost and yet, I see that XP has clearly been nerfed to slow progress down.

The days of getting 20-30k XP have long gone as each warzone yields on average 12k, class missions yield only 9k and everything now seems like a grind.

So Bioware, this coming weekend to 'celebrate' the end of the Gree event, can we please have double XP or stop nerfing XP and increase it to the levels it was back in 2011.

/regards

I remember at launch, I left DK at 21 or higher, maybe 22. Hell, I left Nar Shaddaa at 32 or 33. I wish they'd restore the xp to the way it was.

Honestly, more than anything I wish they'd heavily boost FP xp. There are only two FPs worth doing for XP (BP and I think foundry...maybe only BP), which is kind of sad.

Leveling is ridiculously fast and easy..... Of course it is going to be slower on your first char of a brand new legacy. You have no crew skill support from other chars, no presence boosts, and likely, no credits support. All of those things factor into the speed that you mow through things. But even *still*, if you think leveling is slow....GG... you obviously didn't play FFXI Online, now *that*, was slow.

I have never bought any of the Legacy xp unlocks, I think they are a complete waste of credits. I only use the mission reward xp boosters, and I still end up only doing the main plantetary chain of missions along with the class missions usually by the time I am arrive on the 4th planet, if not sooner. The pacing is fine imo, you can certainly progress just fine without having to do every mission. I do wonder sometimes how much time some people waste sitting around trying to do a flashpoint or some heroic, when you will progress wayyyyy faster if you just skip those. If I can't solo it, I don't worry about it unless I happen to see a group lfm, then I might jump in, but I certainly wouldn't sit around trying to do a Heroic 4 or a FP while leveling, time much better spent just burning through more normal missions and mobs.

Oh, and I don't really do warzones early on very often at all, only if its a class I want to experiment with in pvp for some reason, then I might do a couple. And if you can't get a char to 50-55 within two weeks... I don't think it's the rate of xp's fault... its more the amount of time you are able to invest leveling. I am not saying that your at fault for not investing some obscene amount of time either, no, not at all, I am just saying that, a statement like "Here I am, 4-5 weeks in, and I'm only level 32" is actually, not a very good thing to go off of, at all. Because it IS going to depend on how many hours during each of those days during each of those weeks was spent playing and leveling that specific character. So while person A might spend 3 weeks and only be level 32 because they only leveled that char for an average of 1-2 hours per day, person B could spend 1 week and be level 50+ because they played and leveled the char for an average of 8-10 hours each day.

tl:dr - Xp and the rate of leveling is fine really. Something that is hard to make everyone "happy" with, but I can assure you, I have definitely seen leveling that makes swtor feel like light speed.....

Leveling is ridiculously fast and easy..... Of course it is going to be slower on your first char of a brand new legacy. You have no crew skill support from other chars, no presence boosts, and likely, no credits support. All of those things factor into the speed that you mow through things. But even *still*, if you think leveling is slow....GG... you obviously didn't play FFXI Online, now *that*, was slow.

I have never bought any of the Legacy xp unlocks, I think they are a complete waste of credits. I only use the mission reward xp boosters, and I still end up only doing the main plantetary chain of missions along with the class missions usually by the time I am arrive on the 4th planet, if not sooner. The pacing is fine imo, you can certainly progress just fine without having to do every mission. I do wonder sometimes how much time some people waste sitting around trying to do a flashpoint or some heroic, when you will progress wayyyyy faster if you just skip those. If I can't solo it, I don't worry about it unless I happen to see a group lfm, then I might jump in, but I certainly wouldn't sit around trying to do a Heroic 4 or a FP while leveling, time much better spent just burning through more normal missions and mobs.

Oh, and I don't really do warzones early on very often at all, only if its a class I want to experiment with in pvp for some reason, then I might do a couple. And if you can't get a char to 50-55 within two weeks... I don't think it's the rate of xp's fault... its more the amount of time you are able to invest leveling. I am not saying that your at fault for not investing some obscene amount of time either, no, not at all, I am just saying that, a statement like "Here I am, 4-5 weeks in, and I'm only level 32" is actually, not a very good thing to go off of, at all. Because it IS going to depend on how many hours during each of those days during each of those weeks was spent playing and leveling that specific character. So while person A might spend 3 weeks and only be level 32 because they only leveled that char for an average of 1-2 hours per day, person B could spend 1 week and be level 50+ because they played and leveled the char for an average of 8-10 hours each day.

tl:dr - Xp and the rate of leveling is fine really. Something that is hard to make everyone "happy" with, but I can assure you, I have definitely seen leveling that makes swtor feel like light speed.....

You will the point totally with your wall of text.

EQ was ungodly slow. Anybody play both EQ and FFXI? Which was worse? Because I can't imagine anything worse than early EQ.

For all of those who think leveling is slow in this game, I recommend trying to get to level20 in the starting area of Guild Wars 1. (Of course, with the quests there, it's faster now, but god it used to be slow.)

Leveling in this game is fast. Anyone who says that leveling in this game is slow hasn't tried dying to the same goddamn mob for 8 hours, then kill it for 10 XP. That was S-L-O-W with a capital S.

I think it took me almost 5 days of straight playing between work etc to ding. Using a viable mix of class questing and Warzones.

Well, with this mindset, of course you think leveling is slow nowadays. No idea how you did this, but 5 days from level 1 to 50? That's insane. I needed 3 months for my 1st character. Maybe you should not expect to level up in 5 days. This simply makes no sense at all, sorry.

Fast forward to today. 4 weeks in, I am sitting around level 32. I've been using XP boosts all the time, unlocked level 1 XP buff on my legacy for all the first tier unlocks on XP boost and yet, I see that XP has clearly been nerfed to slow progress down.

It's true. People do not seem to have noticed the continual stealth nerfing of XP gain, because it's come in little by little, and many already had all their alts capped out or only play on double XP weekends now.

This is why they need a full-time double XP character perk that you can buy for CC. It would amount to basically selling you what we had at launch in terms of leveling speed. And people would pay for it.

I'm actually very curious how true this is. I can remember at launch having to grind a bit on Korriban because you didn't even hit level 10 doing all the quests (including the group ones) and couldn't get your AC and progress very easily into DK without doing so (whereas Hutta always took you to 11 or 12 depending).

I haven't bothered with any of the legacy xp increase perks though I use the xp boosts they give me from questing. Everything seems to be a little faster (though perhaps not 25%) going through now. Very curious if they did put in all these boosts and perks then nerfed everything for some reason (to get you to buy them, I guess).

As you mentioned. I am pretty sure the only "nerf" to xp was war zones.

Everything else has actually been buffed since lunch (well, sorta)

My understanding:

If you are F2P/Preferred. You get the amount of xp that everyone got when the game was Sub only.

If you are Sub. You get the normal amount + a buff (i think its 25%) + rested XP.

Unless I am wrong leveling should be faster if you are a sub (unless you only level with warzones).

You will the point totally with your wall of text.

And you quoted all of it just to add that?

Scindus' point is well-taken. Leveling in TOR is extremely fast. The game has to strike a balance between players who think the game does not start until cap and those who enjoy the entire game.

Unless I am wrong leveling should be faster if you are a sub (unless you only level with warzones).

Im a full sub. As explained, I am starting fresh on a new server, so I have zero legacy perks. Its clear to me that leveling up has changed and is slower. So I am guessing that Bioware nerfed the XP so if you unlock your full legacy XP boosts and then purchase a XP boost, you will actually be gaining XP at the same as it was at launch.

Another toon, I have on my normal server, with all perks unlocked dinged lvl 32 over a weekend with the same mix of WZs and questing.

And the reason for my rush to 55 is just for ranked warzones really. I've done the Sin story - three times!

Odd

Edited by DarthMaulUK

Im a full sub. As explained, I am starting fresh on a new server, so I have zero legacy perks. Its clear to me that leveling up has changed and is slower. So I am guessing that Bioware nerfed the XP so if you unlock your full legacy XP boosts and then purchase a XP boost, you will actually be gaining XP at the same as it was at launch.

Another toon, I have on my normal server, with all perks unlocked dinged lvl 32 over a weekend with the same mix of WZs and questing.

And the reason for my rush to 55 is just for ranked warzones really. I've done the Sin story - three times!

Odd

All you mentioned was a mix of warzones and questiing. How much are you doing warzones now and how much were you doing them at launch. If you were doing warzones every time they pop and queuing as soon as you exit. Yeah you will see a drastic decrease in XP gained becuase of the nerf to warzone XP

I'm actually very curious how true this is. I can remember at launch having to grind a bit on Korriban because you didn't even hit level 10 doing all the quests (including the group ones) and couldn't get your AC and progress very easily into DK without doing so (whereas Hutta always took you to 11 or 12 depending).

I haven't bothered with any of the legacy xp increase perks though I use the xp boosts they give me from questing. Everything seems to be a little faster (though perhaps not 25%) going through now. Very curious if they did put in all these boosts and perks then nerfed everything for some reason (to get you to buy them, I guess).

At launch I suspect xp gain was slower because there was so much activity that you could run from place to place and not have to kill much because others had cleared it. You'd miss out on the KIll X bonuses quests as a result too.

As you mentioned. I am pretty sure the only "nerf" to xp was war zones.

Everything else has actually been buffed since lunch (well, sorta)

My understanding:

If you are F2P/Preferred. You get the amount of xp that everyone got when the game was Sub only.

If you are Sub. You get the normal amount + a buff (i think its 25%) + rested XP.

I agree.

The last couple times I spun up a new character (post F2P launch)... I found the progression of leveling to be slightly better then at launch (just doing planet quest chains and content, with an occasional heroic). The slightly better boost in xp being that I was using mission reward xp boosts AND better travel mobility with sprint at 1.

Of course a new legacy would not have speeder ability at 10, so that would slow things a bit.. but not that much.

Honestly, I think the OP is just suffering from not having the enthusiasm that drove him to play 5 straight days to get to 50 at launch. This also explains, IMO, why he is bored and dissatisfied with the game in general. Anyone that crush leveled at launch was destined to be a disappointed player.

Edited by Andryah

Leveling on a new server is slower, because you don't have your legacy goodies, not because they nerfed the xp gain. If you have a pimped out legacy you get spoiled.

Having a high presence for beefy companions means you can mow through the mobs much faster. You can get HK-51 at lvl 1 if you want to, and even without gear he is a beast (I expect Treek will be the same way) If you mail an alt the cash, you can get a speeder at lvl 10 + rocket boost at lvl 1 so travel times are cut way down. You have all 4 class buffs and heroic moment at lvl 15 for major boss smack down.

I agree.

The last couple times I spun up a new character (post F2P launch)... I found the progression of leveling to be slightly better then at launch (just doing planet quest chains and content, with an occasional heroic). The slightly better boost in xp being that I was using mission reward xp boosts AND better travel mobility with sprint at 1.

Of course a new legacy would not have speeder ability at 10, so that would slow things a bit.. but not that much.

Honestly, I think the OP is just suffering from not having the enthusiasm that drove him to play 5 straight days to get to 50 at launch. This also explains, IMO, why he is bored and dissatisfied with the game in general. Anyone that crush leveled at launch was destined to be a disappointed player.

ANother one who misses the point totally but then again, fanboys always will

Leveling on a new server is slower, because you don't have your legacy goodies, not because they nerfed the xp gain. If you have a pimped out legacy you get spoiled.

Having a high presence for beefy companions means you can mow through the mobs much faster. You can get HK-51 at lvl 1 if you want to, and even without gear he is a beast (I expect Treek will be the same way) If you mail an alt the cash, you can get a speeder at lvl 10 + rocket boost at lvl 1 so travel times are cut way down. You have all 4 class buffs and heroic moment at lvl 15 for major boss smack down.

Wrong totally. I am comparing my current leveling experience on my new server with my original day#1 leveling when there was no legacy or perks or anything! . Im all but certain we gained more XP when doing just about anything, despite not having speeders or sprint early on.

Probably most of my XP did come from Warzones because I played them ALOT but it does seem a little low to be given 9500k xp for level 30ish quests.