Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

A Note on General Performance Issues

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service (Read-Only)
A Note on General Performance Issues

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Aquma
01.30.2012 , 04:54 PM | #131
Sadly, this is more or less what I expected.

Obvious plus obvious with a little bit of more obvious. Even forgetting the fact that the post contains zero usefull info for anyone who knows how to read and actually tried (for the last several weeks) to improve their performance, it really baffles me that it took you a month and a half to come up with something like this. Why exactly is that? Because you can't expect me to believe that you needed to analyze a lot of info to write that putting settings on low should increase performance.

Second thing I would really like to know is this: you write that TOR is a demanding game and PC's are complicated. Fair enough. I'll forget for a second that even many players on really powerfull hardware are reporting performance problems. Let me just ask you a question, though (I'm pretty sure it'll remain unanswered anyway, but hell, what's there to lose?): why are your minimum and recommended specs looking like they do? If you knew the game's so demanding, why didn't you raise them to reflect actual demands?

And finally, I would really like to know why exactly is TOR so demanding. Forget the fleets - I can understand why such crowded places can put a strain on my machine. It happens in most MMOs, to a varying degree. Forget PvE - I can play it fine, more or less (forgetting about serious memory leaks making the game stutter horribly and close for like 15 mins after just a few hours of play time). But why exactly are battles with 16 people (8x8), on very small maps, requiring so much processing power? Why can every other game on the market do it, even on a lowly, several years old machine, but SW:TOR stutters like hell no matter what settings are being used (which only makes OP all the more worthless)? It's not like you're doing something innovative here, or pushing the limits of mini-game PvP scenarios. Small numbers of characters doing exactly the same stuff they do in every other game (moving, stealthing, casting spells, fighting in melee). Hell, your biggest competitor features battles 5 times that scale and still manages to optimize them to run very well. So why?

I really hope my post won't be considered "whining" or "raging" or whatever. It's not, I'm not. I really would like to know answers to those questions.

From a dissapointed player, who very much wishes he didn't pay for a 60 day gamecard,

Regards and have a nice evening.

MapleMeringue
01.30.2012 , 04:55 PM | #132
Quote: Originally Posted by Kunari View Post
Thank you!

Jdaddy
01.30.2012 , 04:55 PM | #133
Quote: Originally Posted by MapleMeringue View Post
Can someone post where to find this Direct X fix?
http://www.reddit.com/r/swtor/commen...our_framerate/

Im trying it right now, if it doesnt work that means BW has 21 more days to fix their **** before my subscription runs out....2 months is plenty of time to see ANY improvement instead of some lameass guide that doesnt do jack****

Niuxuu
01.30.2012 , 04:56 PM | #134
Quote: Originally Posted by Aquma View Post
Sadly, this is more or less what I expected.

Obvious plus obvious with a little bit of more obvious. Even forgetting the fact that the post contains zero usefull info for anyone who knows how to read and actually tried (for the last several weeks) to improve their performance, it really baffles me that it took you a month and a half to come up with something like this. Why exactly is that? Because you can't expect me to believe that you needed to analyze a lot of info to write that putting settings on low should increase performance.

Second thing I would really like to know is this: you write that TOR is a demanding game and PC's are complicated. Fair enough. I'll forget for a second that even many players on really powerfull hardware are reporting performance problems. Let me just ask you a question, though (I'm pretty sure it'll remain unanswered anyway, but hell, what's there to lose?): why are your minimum and recommended specs looking like they do? If you knew the game's so demanding, why didn't you raise them to reflect actual demands?

And finally, I would really like to know why exactly is TOR so demanding. Forget the fleets - I can understand why such crowded places can put a strain on my machine. It happens in most MMOs, to a varying degree. Forget PvE - I can play it fine, more or less (forgetting about serious memory leaks making the game stutter horribly and close for like 15 mins after just a few hours of play time). But why exactly are battles with 16 people (8x8), on very small maps, requiring so much processing power? Why can every other game on the market do it, even on a lowly, several years old machine, but SW:TOR stutters like hell no matter what settings are being used (which only makes OP all the more worthless)? It's not like you're doing something innovative here, or pushing the limits of mini-game PvP scenarios. Small numbers of characters doing exactly the same stuff they do in every other game (moving, stealthing, casting spells, fighting in melee). Hell, your biggest competitor features battles 5 times that scale and still manages to optimize them to run very well. So why?

I really hope my post won't be considered "whining" or "raging" or whatever. It's not, I'm not. I really would like to know answers to those questions.

From a dissapointed player, who very much wishes he didn't pay for a 60 day gamecard,

Regards and have a nice evening.
Pretty much sums it up. +1 to this guy bioware

imzo
01.30.2012 , 04:57 PM | #135
what....a....joke.....

really... we have people out on there own accord without being paid, coding new ini files, figuring hacks with win xp sp3, finding that dx9 files are helping, tweaking graphics control panels, overclocks blah fu*kin blah... the list is staggering.

and telling us that 'high' settings are taxing on the system??

how did that write up take days when all it is, is the common knowledge that everyone posting and having problems with ALREADY KNOWS!!!

you didnt even add links to all the helpful threads of people that ARE trying to help...

shallow and pedantic waste of space. nice work bioware
/angry

Gelna
01.30.2012 , 04:58 PM | #136
Can you edit your post to state which effects tax what Processor?

e.g.

Anti-Aliasing uses CPU
Shadows use GPU

etc.

Basically, if the CPU is the bottleneck, what do we turn off to make it better?

Also, there seems to be a problem at the 30% load mark, CPU time hovers at almost exactly 25% -- Perhaps it only uses a single core during load screens? (I have a quad core)

ohmslaw
01.30.2012 , 05:00 PM | #137
Quote: Originally Posted by senalya View Post
Now call for the ghost of David Koresh watch all 14 police academy and you should reach 25
LOL Dont forget the Chicken Sacrifice
The MEDICATION is Strong in This One!

Kunari
01.30.2012 , 05:00 PM | #138
Quote: Originally Posted by Elogio View Post
...If a proper fix to this problem along with an apology for treating us as if we were mentally handicapped (doing my best to limit my language to pg amongst all my rage right now) we will not renew our subscriptions.
Quote: Originally Posted by slelfief View Post
... On that note, please stop treating your customer base like children. Make an effort to compile some real information about the issues and what you are working on to solve them. If you need a reference point check out any of the many wonderful dev blogs from the Eve Online developers.

If you guys continue to provide absurdly watered-down responses to serious issues then the respect will be lost.
^-1000000x that. CCP isn't perfect but at least they post informative Dev Blogs and acknowledge issues with their game. Stop treating your customers like idiots.

Maybe it's time for a "Summer of Rage".

Phillipidies
01.30.2012 , 05:03 PM | #139
I appreciate the you Bioware guys are in a tough spot with these problems at the moment, but this post is completely unhelpful for most of us. It does nothing to address why a lot of us had ZERO problems before you guys started patching. It also does nothing to explain why this happens across a wide range of hardware configurations some of which should have no problem running this game at the highest settings. You basically posted a summery of the mouse over tool tips from in-game, and this took you until today to edit? If this is all you've got, I'm not encouraged at all. Payed for a 6 month sub because I figured that the inevitable bugs would not make the game completely unplayable, I was wrong. I hate to be one of those people threatening to rage/quit but I'm running out of reasons to continue giving you guys my money. This explanation is, quite frankly, insulting and condescending.

Rogoo
01.30.2012 , 05:04 PM | #140
Quote: Originally Posted by JovethGonzalez View Post
Low FPS in the fleets, warzones and Ilum

Were very aware of the frame-rate degradation that even top-notch systems experience in these gameplay scenarios. Weve taken measures to control the overall impact that character-heavy scenarios can have on system performance, but there is always more we can do. We are constantly investigating and optimizing, and we are in the process of making changes to the fleets that have hopefully yielded some improvement.
Let's get a few things straight.

You guys have developed and are actively marketing a MMORPG.
In this supposedly "massive" game, we have INSTANCED 8 vs 8 fights, played in a fully controlable 3D environment (so you have full control of polycount).

In this situation, people with very good gaming rigs (way above RECOMMENDED specs) can hardly brake 25 frames per second on LOWEST possible settings.

Now, when I used to play EvE Online, there were performance issue. But guess what ? Those were 500 vs 500 man fights.

And the sad thing ? It's the same in SWTOR, but the 'massive' aspect is a WHOPPING 8 vs 8...
You are not your rig specs. You are not your K/D ratio. You are not your character level. You are not your sig.
Gunslinger / Shadow / Sentinel / Powertech
The Hero engine: a 2005 technology bringing 2013 rigs to their knees.