what's the protocol for item drops in flashpoints

I was recently in a flashpoint with three other characters and they kicked me from the group like immature kids pouting about losing the item rolls. I was a bounty hunter and they were sith. One item I needed, they don't need bounty hunter gloves. Another was an item I wanted to sell. The last was an item I wanted to disassemble. I won those rolls but lost several other. I didn't pout when I lost rolls. They voted and kicked me out right at the end before the good loot dropped. Am I wrong in calling them A-Holes? Or am I "supposed" to just give them everything that my character can't use? Why else is there a greed and disassemble option? Any feedback is welcome.

I was recently in a flashpoint with three other characters and they kicked me from the group like immature kids pouting about losing the item rolls. I was a bounty hunter and they were sith. One item I needed, they don't need bounty hunter gloves. Another was an item I wanted to sell. The last was an item I wanted to disassemble. I won those rolls but lost several other. I didn't pout when I lost rolls. They voted and kicked me out right at the end before the good loot dropped. Am I wrong in calling them A-Holes? Or am I "supposed" to just give them everything that my character can't use? Why else is there a greed and disassemble option? Any feedback is welcome.

If they need it, yes, you give it to them.

It generally goes

Main Spec > Off spec > Alt > Companion > Sell

I've never liked people choosing Disassemble, as its a complete loss in almost every single case.

Edited by DarkDisturbed

Generally, I only "need" something when it's usable by the class I'm currently playing and better than what I have equipped. If it's not, "greed" away. That's why the option's there.

Bringing talk of alts into the mix is kind of iffy because of course everyone can just lie about those.

I have to say, kicking you at the very end is a d**k move.

If in fact, you were rolling need incorrectly and the group was unhappy and they decided to vote kick you for it, waiting until the very end is the wrong way to do it.

If you needed on " an item I wanted to sell." and " an item I wanted to disassemble" and those items weren't useable by you at all, I would have booted you too. That's what the greed button is for. If you greeded on them and won the roll, that's fine by me.

If you needed on " an item I wanted to sell." and " an item I wanted to disassemble" and those items weren't useable by you at all, I would have booted you too. That's what the greed button is for. If you greeded on them and won the roll, that's fine by me.

That's where he went wrong. You don't need on something to sell, that's why there is a Greed button.

That's where he went wrong. You don't need on something to sell, that's why there is a Greed button.

I agree 100%. But it's better to kick the offender right away.

Waiting until the last boss is dead, but right before you loot? IMO, that's worse than someone needing when they shouldn't.

It isn't.

Pressing need on something you don't intend to use is the absolutely the worst thing you could do.

Now waiting until the end to kick instead of kicking immediately, may be kind of mean, but it isn't nearly as bad as ninja looting.

If the guy was pressing NEED on items he wanted to sell or disassemble then he got what he deserved.

Edited by Eternalnight

It generally goes

I've never liked people choosing Disassemble, as its a complete loss in almost every single case.

Amongst the wider MMO community this is the generally accepted view.

As an experienced MMO'er it is easy to sometimes forget that in a game like SWTOR there are a lot of people who are new to the MMO world so there are a lot of situations like this cropping up. What I tend to do is give everyone one chance before booting. If you NEED on something you shouldn't then I'm going to talk to you about it until we come to an understanding before the FP goes any further...if you do it again then I will try to remove you from the group.

good on you for coming here and checking.

Am I wrong in calling them A-Holes?

If you pressed NEED (as implied by the first half of your post) on items you intend to sell, then you might as well call yourself that.

Or am I "supposed" to just give them everything that my character can't use? Why else is there a greed and disassemble option? Any feedback is welcome.

That's a strange question. Greed and disassemble are there to be used.

And by selecting greed you are not necessarily giving anything away. If everyone else greeds it too you all have equal chance to win as it should be. However if someone else needs it because he is going to use it (and you would not use it), then yes, you are just supposed to let them have it.

And heads up, here comes the most important point:

It is not about what you "can" use. It is about what you are going to use.

If an item dropped, that you technically "can" use, but obviously you are not going to use (because you have better item equipped already) and you still clicked NEED on that anyway, then I would kick you for that too.

Edited by Eternalnight

I only work off the character I'm currently using. If the item is better than what I have equiped then it's "Need" all the way. This also goes for my companion, since they are an extention of my character. Otherwise, it's "Greed" if the item looks good enough to sell. "Disasemble" is completely f'n pointless in my opinion, but that's just me. :)

I only work off the character I'm currently using. If the item is better than what I have equiped then it's "Need" all the way. This also goes for my companion, since they are an extention of my character. Otherwise, it's "Greed" if the item looks good enough to sell. "Disasemble" is completely f'n pointless in my opinion, but that's just me. :)

Dont be needing for a companion unless no one else wants it....usually a yellow card in my book

It generally goes

most stuff though unless it is green will be bind on pickup so you cant give it to an alt

There is a "common" rule because most feel it is the correct way to do things. It did not originate on this game either, it has been in practice for years since need/greed was introduced:

NEED: My class, improves my stats, my crafting profession, crafting material

GREED: Companion, sell, otherwise

Any further "interpretation" of the commonly accepted "etiquette" could result in further deviation from commonly accepted etiquette...such as vote kicking after final boss is killed, adding to ignore list, etc.

Interpretation of these commonly accepted rules made malleable by one's current situation (low funds/desire to solo/etc.) can only be interpreted as a temporary placebo to ease the fact that you are, or are slowly becoming, an outcast in the MMO society.

Thank you

Edited by DenitharPurloin

thank you all for your input. from now on, i will only need what is better equipment and just pass on everything else. if the whole group passes, then we will all greed for it. it seems like this would take more time while playing, but most battles do have a pause at the end before the next one, anyway. again, thanks for the input. i feel i will be a better mmo group mate now.

If you needed for the selling item, or the item you wanted to RE/Dissasemble, then no you cant call them A-Holes, because Your the A-Hole. If you Greeded the sell item, and dissasembled the dissasemble item, then yes, call them A-Holes all you want, but it wont help.

thank you all for your input. from now on, i will only need what is better equipment and just pass on everything else. if the whole group passes, then we will all greed for it. it seems like this would take more time while playing, but most battles do have a pause at the end before the next one, anyway. again, thanks for the input. i feel i will be a better mmo group mate now.

No need to pass m8, typically I will greed on everything that drops without any complaints or incidents. Greed for a few extra credits is not only acceptable, but encouraged.

Well I guess I should apologize to anyone that has grouped with me on the game. I really wasn't trying to be an A-hole, and since no one ever called me on it I thought it was accepted practice. I stand corrected. I'm pretty new to the world of MMO's and only started playing them for about a year. I was always a console gamer growing up until my bro introduced me to this game you may have heard of called WoW.

I know the mention of this game on the board is a sore subject for some, but I enjoyed it. I usually soloed unless grouping with my bro, so this whole grouping thing is still kinda new to me. He always invited me and set loot rules to free-for-all, so there was no "rolling" for items. Since he is my bro, if I grabbed something he needed or vise versa we would trade items so everything worked out fine.

So again, sorry.... it was never my intention to piss off anyone. Now I know, and knowing is half the battle. GI JOE!!!

OK that was kinda stupid...... :)

How can he still be that clueless about how the loot system works despite it being explained by so many people in this thread?

from now on, i will only need what is better equipment and just pass on everything else.
Why would you pass?

There is no reason to ever pass anything.

You Need on items that are upgrades to your main character and can greed on everything else.

if the whole group passes, then we will all greed for it.

What are you even talking about?

YOU CAN'T GREED ANYTHING AFTER YOU HAVE PASSED!!!

it seems like this would take more time while playing

Nothing about anything people here have suggested would take any more time. Not even 1 second more time. Not even one billionth of a second.

It takes just as much time to click greed as it takes to click need!!!

If the item is an upgrade that you would wear on the character you are playing you will click need.

Anything else, and you will click greed.

Both of them can be clicked IMMEDIATELY, as soon as you have seen what the item is.

What do you still not understand about it? It has been explained like more than 10 times in this thread already.

The whole reason for a need before greed system to exist is that you people who use it right don't have to wait and see if others will roll for the item before they decide what to do.

i guess my misunderstanding comes from not knowing how the "roll" system works. Example: 3 people greed for and item and 1 person needs it. will the roll be random and someone who greeded it could get it, or will it first be a random roll for who needs it, then greed? And i'm sorry for my ignorance as i am new to mmo games. i played rpg games mostly and am new to this. please be kind