Jedi Consular vs. Sith Asssassin (Storyline)

Terrminator

Hello. I originally rolled as a JC, but the story didn't appeal to me. So I started a SI. I immediately loved the story. I was planning on leveling my SI, but my friends told me the JC story gets better. Now I am torn between leveling my SI or my JC. Any ideas? Thanks. :) Edited by Terrminator

Do both at some point. Just do a Jedi Shadow and a Sith Sorcerer or flip that and do a Jedi Sage and a Sith Assassin.

Inquisitor story to me, was a lot of fun. Counselor, I felt/feel like it has a dumb voice. Like a Neo in the Matrix wannabe sound.

Edited by Technohic

The Jedi Consular's Chapter 1 is godawful. Like, seriously, I'd like to use a bunch of swear words to adequately communicate how painful it is, but BioWare is like NO, and it would just be a bunch of asteriks. But that works too, I guess, if you imagine the asterisks are like braille or something, and it would just say something like aaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaa aaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, which is kind of what you will be doing inside your mind as you play through it.

If you switched from the JC story (to ANYTHING), it's going to look amazing. In actuality, the SI story is almost the same -- it's just presented better, because (imo) Zash is more interesting than Yuon Par, and the fetch quests on each world are just different enough to not make you horribly impatient, whereas the JC story is literally comprised of almost nothing but OOPS JUST BARELY MISSED THAT PERSON YOU WERE LOOKING FOR moments, the 'mystery' is childish (you will have solved it by early Tatooine), and the Consular and his companions are pretty boring.

The JC story DOES pick up after Chapter 1. It took me months to build up the willpower to finish Chapter 1, but now I'm very interested in what's going on. It feels like what a Consular SHOULD be doing, instead of running around tackling an endless procession of Jedi Masters so you can suck Light Side Points out of their souls. I'd at least recommend finish Ch 1, and Balmorra, just to see if you like the change in flavor.

The SI story on the other hand, except for a few high spots, never really gets better. You may still like it, but remember not to play a Sith Warrior or Jedi Knight before you finish the class story, or you may get disillusioned. :p

Well; without spoiling the inquisitor story, I think if you look at the 3 chapters by your main objectives, just looking at the pieves it seems kind of dumb; but overall, it really is about building a power base as you go and I really enjoyed it.

In short:

piece by piece = dumb

big picture = good.

I ran through the JC story first, from pre-launch until I finished it. It had some boring stretches and some kind of neat spots.

Then I ran a JK.

I cannot describe how much more fun I had. Could be it was a personal taste, but I've heard a lot of complaints similar to several of the previous posts, including the critique about the JC male voice actor.

Here's to hoping that there are plenty of people out there that like the story/actor a lot and just aren't posting, and that the rest of us get some content (even if it's optional) that gives us a more palatable storyline.

Still...even with these critiques, I'm glad I played through it. Hope there's eventually an AC-specific story eventually, so my Shadow can feel more...shadowy.

Consular story is what a Jedi is supposed to be.

Savior - Act 1

Diplomat - Act 2

Leader - Act 3

You're right on this one, for Act 1 especially. If there are any JC hero hopefuls out there, this is something they should be made aware of.

Still...even with these critiques, I'm glad I played through it. Hope there's eventually an AC-specific story eventually, so my Shadow can feel more...shadowy.

That would be cool. Would be nice if my assassin had quests that called for me sneaking in in order to get to my objective before popping out. On the flip side, I hated on my sniper when I ran into quests where they say "You will need to slip in undetected..." Pretty sure the first explosive probe and sniper rifle shots are not very stealthy at all and invalidated the need to slip in undetected.

I haven't played a consular, but I finished the inquisitor story and I thought it sucked, Without giving away any details I just thought the whole plot was juvenile with lots of cheesy one liners, weak villains, and dark side choices that don't make any sense. But then I've pretty much thought that about all of the storylines that I've played so far, I dunno, maybe single player rpgs ruined me for mmo stories.

Personally, I thought the Inquisitor storyline was absurd. It doesn't help that Ashara can't be turned or even made to realize she isn't a jedi anymore. :mad: The hate for the Consular storyline really surprises me as IMO it's one of the class lines most connected to the overall story and really fits what the class is about.

Thanks for all the replies guys! I think I'll probably do the SI first, then switch over to my JC later on. If anyone wants to join me, let me know. Name's Tal'galar. Just let me know, and I'll hop on. Well, thanks again guys!

I like the stories of both...but the male and female inquisitors both sound like Whiney fools...like luke. I can't stand it, so jc it was. I do wana ask this tho, does the si voice change after ch1? Because I watched their ending on YouTube and the voice was different less whiney.

• 1 year later...
I like the stories of both...but the male and female inquisitors both sound like Whiney fools...like luke. I can't stand it, so jc it was. I do wana ask this tho, does the si voice change after ch1? Because I watched their ending on YouTube and the voice was different less whiney.

The Sith Inquisitor becomes more sure of themselves, and are more firm.

Consular story does start out boring, but it gets much better, chapter 3 rocks, seriously. My only problems was that for about 4 levels my Sage was seriously underpowered, making fights I was technically too high a level for hard, really hard in some places, but the sage gained proper strength a few levels later.

Have too say that if the Consular story gets too boring, play another character for a bit, alternate them for a few weeks, this breaks up the boredom, and allows you to get the story to the interesting chapters.

Personally, I thought the Inquisitor storyline was absurd. It doesn't help that Ashara can't be turned or even made to realize she isn't a jedi anymore. :mad: The hate for the Consular storyline really surprises me as IMO it's one of the class lines most connected to the overall story and really fits what the class is about.

i think its cause many (myself included) wernt fond of chapter 1 and i doubt many people who claim its awful have gotten past it or they would know it picks up.

The inquisitor is starts good but gets lost along the way and becomes a whole heap of mess, Ashara is a stupid choice and her reasoning for staying with a dark side character makes no scene, and the whole heal thing should never have gone to two planets.

The inquisitor is starts good but gets lost along the way and becomes a whole heap of mess, Ashara is a stupid choice and her reasoning for staying with a dark side character makes no scene

With Dark Side Inquisitor, absolutely. But my Inquisitor called the Sith Order 'deprived' in front of her, told her he follows Light Side, wants to change the Empire, hates what other Sith do, wants peace with Republic, loves Jedi and kittens etc. And except for the kittens part, everything is actually in the game, in the dialogue options you can pick as Light Side Inquisitor. No wonder then Ashara pretty much turned into his hardcore cheerleader.

As for the Inquisitor story overall, it's really a survival story than "building your power base". Even for Dark Side Inquisitor, building your power base is a 'by-product' of trying to survive, not the main goal. Maybe after Act 3 but that's role-playing/fan-fiction territory.

Consular - Act 1 is badly executed. The general idea was not bad at all, but it dragged awfully. Definitely picks up later.

In both cases though, if you want to be told that you're the "Chosen One", or "most powerful right after Emperor" and having the "player-ego" stroked hard, Knight and Warrior stories will suit you better. Inquisitor and Consular are more personal/behind-the-scenes.

Edited by Pietrastor

I haven't played the Sith Assassin storyline, but in a moment of boredom I finally decided to finish the Consular storyline, and the ending left a bad taste in my mouth.

I don't generally play Republic faction in any case, and the story had its moments, but overall it felt unremarkable and like running errands for upstart politicians (Tai Cordan and...ugh...Saresh) rather than like upholding "peace and justice in the Old Republic".

Consular gets told they're powerful. They're just not looked at the same.

Consular storyline Chapter 1 plays out much better during double XP weekends imo. You can concentrate on just the storyline, which for Consular I think makes it work much better.

Inquisitor has the best lines of all 4 Force Classes imo. Her snarkiness and whining every now and again just sells the Inquisitor (again imo).

"It was me! ME! ME! ME!"

"I'll give you till the count of three."

"You wouldn't dare! We'd all die!"

"One." *kills one of the enemies* "Now give it to me."

"No! Wait! We can make a deal."

"Two." *kills another*

While I didn't see it as a problem myself, I can see why some people would have problems with the Consular. Out of all the classes (regardless of being force user or not) it's the one most set on being all LS. The other 7 do well on going a combo of LS/DS and don't do to badly going all LS or DS (all DS has some issues for some, but not nearly as bad as Consular).

Every major enemy in Chapter 1 is a good person doing bad things because they're being mind controlled. It's not their actions. So when given the choice to kill them for what they did while not even in control of their actions, you're basically killing them because someone used their body to do bad things.

Just doesn't play out well.

Then we get to the last enemies of Chapter 3. Inquisitor for some reason they (BW) decided, "Oh hey! Look! You have him on the ground beaten. But you don't get the option to deliver the killing blow!"

Consular gets an enemy that is under the same fate (different tho) as the main enemies of Chapter 1.

Knight and Warrior, you get obviously evil enemies that you can go LS or DS with and not feel bad about either one.

Consular and Inquisitor both get told and show just how powerful they are, but not as blatantly as Knight and Warrior. I think that's to be expected though.

Knight and Warrior are the "You're powerful Anakin!" basically the epic hero archetype/story. Consular and Inquisitor get shown to be powerful, but theirs is a story of a more personal story. Less the "YOU'RE FATED TO DO THIS!"

Inquisitor gets told they're from a powerful line. Gets looked down on due to be a slave.

Consular is just more calm than the Knight.

Which leads me to the other part of Consular that likely doesn't go over well. They should've made the Consular snarky like the Inquisitor. Maybe even someone from Imperial Space. I'm not sure if the Consular was intended to sound so calm and peaceful or if that's just how the voice actor played it, but I feel if they added some dialogue along the lines of the Inquisitor or Smuggler, the storyline would've played out way better for more people I think.

In a nutshell...

Knight and Warrior to their respective sects is "You're so gifted and powerful."

Consular and Inquisitor to their respective sects is "I didn't realize just how gifted and powerful you really are!"

How it seemed to me anyways.

Now mind you, when I say Consular is much more LS, doesn't mean there aren't some DS opportunities, just most of the time it seems much more out of left field, *** was that, when chosen.

Consular storyline also just gets better through the acts imo. While I can't help but put Agent storyline first in which was the best storyline, I still enjoyed Consular and Inquisitor storylines more than the Knight and Warrior storylines.

I haven't played the Sith Assassin storyline, but in a moment of boredom I finally decided to finish the Consular storyline, and the ending left a bad taste in my mouth.

I don't generally play Republic faction in any case, and the story had its moments, but overall it felt unremarkable and like running errands for upstart politicians (Tai Cordan and...ugh...Saresh) rather than like upholding "peace and justice in the Old Republic".

Consular is much more the diplomat than the Knight is. Knight pretty much goes "Lets fight it out!" Consular is just as likely to talk it out as fight it out (if not try to talk it out more).

I was also under the impression the First Son was one of the most powerful force users in the galaxy, but yeah, I can see why it's ending wasn't as satisfying as some others. You don't go up against an obvious bad guy as you do with many of the other stories.

• 1 year later...