Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Strategies to avoid rushers in flashpoints?

TarisKnight
08.08.2019 , 12:20 PM | #1
Hi everyone,

as the title suggests, I really donīt like rushing and skipping, it is just not my playstyle and I prefer to do everything, go calmly, do bonus content etc. Rushing just takes the fun out of it for me.
The problem with groupfinder is that there is no way to actually make a distinction between rushers and non-rushers. And with my luck I frequently end up with speed runners.
Is there some strategy to avoid rushers, besides calling out at the fleet? I am aware that many fp can be played solo now (which is a great thing). Still, I also want to do some group content.

So any hints are appreciated!

Cheers

SteveTheCynic
08.09.2019 , 01:03 AM | #2
Apart from calling out on the Fleet, you have limited options.

If you're in the right sort of guild, you can organise guild-only slow runs. Form a group (full four-player group, obviously) with your guildies, and queue the group for GF.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
> @"Biff.5312" said:
> Exercise your whimsy.

TarisKnight
08.09.2019 , 07:32 AM | #3
Thank you, I do appreciate the hint. I hadnīt thought about joining a guild yet. Maybe a good idea!

LD_Little_Dragon
08.09.2019 , 09:41 AM | #4
If you're doing slow runs it's better to avoid group-fiinder and walk in. You miss the initial quest giver conversation by using groupfinder.

For vet mode a lot of fp are easily doable with 2 players and 2 comps, so no need to find a full group of 4.
Stealthy heals, stealthy dps, stealthy tank.

Khaleijo
08.09.2019 , 02:06 PM | #5
I'd advise you to avoid and untick the quick flashpoints like Hammerstation, Cademimu or Athiss, maybe the Czerka ones too, since people doing FPs only for CXP or the Ossus weekly quest tend to farm those x times for "efficiency".
Also talking to the group at the beginning could help, even if not every group will go slower some do when being asked.
Aside from joining a guild, building up a friend list of like minded players also helps a lot, but it takes time to find those and some people will be hit and miss.
Freund werben, 7 Tage Probeabo: www.swtor.com/r/GJhHrY

JediQuaker
08.19.2019 , 11:51 AM | #6
There are a few things you can do:

1. Ask up front.
I was recently in an FP - can't recall exactly which one, but an older one - and at the start someone requested to do the bonuses. Not only did we do the bonuses, but the OP would have loved it - we ended up killing literally everything and doing all bosses. Most fun I've had in a long time.

2. If after you ask, some people still seem to want to skip things, keep in mind that they may not have noticed the chat. Attack the skipped groups and/or boss anyway. You may find that many others will join in (for self preservation, if no other reason) and even the skipper may slow down.
If you get a bunch of flack though, you may need to keep up with the group to keep from being kicked.

3. Take an in-between approach. Ask to do bonuses (which may involve killing x number of enemies) - particularly bonus bosses - but skip the trash groups that aren't involved.
Hold water, a sieve may not, but hold another sieve, it will - Yoda..

Referral code - http://www.swtor.com/r/dZ8wSV

Euphrosyne
08.19.2019 , 01:03 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by TarisKnight View Post
Hi everyone,

as the title suggests, I really donīt like rushing and skipping, it is just not my playstyle and I prefer to do everything, go calmly, do bonus content etc. Rushing just takes the fun out of it for me.
The problem with groupfinder is that there is no way to actually make a distinction between rushers and non-rushers. And with my luck I frequently end up with speed runners.
I'm not sure what you mean by "rushers" and "rushing".

I get "skipping", of course, and I get why you might not want to do that, but what does it mean to "rush", in your estimation? Is it just the same thing, or is there some different activity that you're attempting to capture?
Quote: Originally Posted by Khaleijo View Post
Also talking to the group at the beginning could help, even if not every group will go slower some do when being asked.
Aside from joining a guild, building up a friend list of like minded players also helps a lot, but it takes time to find those and some people will be hit and miss.
This is good advice. Ask, ask, ask. In my experience, if you ask to do the bonus at the beginning of the FP, you will more often than not end up doing the bonus. I, for one, almost always agree to do a bonus if asked. Most players will not have a strong opinion one way or the other. A sufficiently forceful request will carry the day.

It's not always going to work. But your fellow players are people with their own time constraints and commitments, and you should respect that.

The exceptions are usually FPs where the bonus requires a significantly greater investment of time and effort than a normal run, as Hammer Station, Taral V, Maelstrom Prison, Battle of Ilum, and the like; or FPs where the bonus requires significantly greater skill than many players possess, like Depths of Manaan and Battle of Rishi. In those cases, you will probably need to go with a premade group.

That said, while it's usually very easy to get people to do a bonus, it's significantly more difficult to get them to kill everything, and I think that that's fair. A bonus is a tangible objective that doesn't require an open-ended commitment of effort. Killing mobs not necessary for that bonus is almost universally regarded as a waste of time.
Quote: Originally Posted by JediQuaker View Post
2. If after you ask, some people still seem to want to skip things, keep in mind that they may not have noticed the chat. Attack the skipped groups and/or boss anyway. You may find that many others will join in (for self preservation, if no other reason) and even the skipper may slow down.
If you get a bunch of flack though, you may need to keep up with the group to keep from being kicked.
A very large number of people would consider this trolling, and I've seen plenty of people kicked for it over the last several years. It's a risky move, to say the least. I would recommend against this. Far better to just form a premade group.
Euphrosynē (n., Greek) - "mirth, merriment"

SteveTheCynic
08.19.2019 , 01:35 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Euphrosyne View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "rushers" and "rushing".
Speedrunners, and speedrunning. That is, not merely skipping in cinematics, but charging through the FP as if all the hounds of Hell are chasing the group.

Well, that's how I interpreted it, anyway.
> @"Biff.5312" said:
> Exercise your whimsy.

Euphrosyne
08.19.2019 , 02:24 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by SteveTheCynic View Post
Speedrunners, and speedrunning. That is, not merely skipping in cinematics, but charging through the FP as if all the hounds of Hell are chasing the group.

Well, that's how I interpreted it, anyway.
I understood "skipping" to mean "skipping mobs", not "skipping cutscenes", but I see how it could have been meant otherwise.

Does "rushing" in this context mean chainpulling? Ignoring requests to afk or sort out inventory? Refusing to explain fights? Oooooor does it mean "not dawdling pointlessly around the detritus of a completed fight"?
Euphrosynē (n., Greek) - "mirth, merriment"

SteveTheCynic
08.19.2019 , 03:12 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Euphrosyne View Post
I understood "skipping" to mean "skipping mobs", not "skipping cutscenes", but I see how it could have been meant otherwise.

Does "rushing" in this context mean chainpulling? Ignoring requests to afk or sort out inventory? Refusing to explain fights? Oooooor does it mean "not dawdling pointlessly around the detritus of a completed fight"?
Hard to say. I'd be inclined to say "all of the above, although maybe not actually chainpulling". Whatever it takes to maintain that "as if all the hounds of Hell are chasing them" aspect.
> @"Biff.5312" said:
> Exercise your whimsy.