Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The weird people you meet in Group Finder.

Zerileth
08.22.2019 , 11:07 PM | #9671
Quote: Originally Posted by mothbanquet View Post
"i dont want your companion to make ds decision"

Had a healer tell me to put my pet away once because it would steal her healing away from the other players.
7.0 Return To Kashyyyk
IGN: "Bioware sees soaring profits with new SWTOR expansion, Return to Kashyyyk."

Rolodome
08.22.2019 , 11:19 PM | #9672
Quote: Originally Posted by Euphrosyne View Post
Queued into a bit of a Twilight Zone MM Tython as DPS.

The tank apparently misqueued as tank, was actually a dps. S/he fretted for about a minute without zoning in (I suggested going to fleet and getting a quick set of 230s) and then dropped group. I requeued the group.

While I went over to the far-left generator that normally gets destroyed first, the healer and the other dps went, um, nowhere in particular that I could tell, and then pulled something. Then they stealthed out so everything wandered over to me and my companion. As the companion and I killed everything, the other DPS offered up some vague comment about how somebody was new, and then dropped group. And then the healer, who lifted no fingers during the fight, laughed and also dropped group.

At least I didn't get a GF lockout, I guess.
Man, what is it with Tython and people derping into the mobs. I had one (vet mode) where I was stealth and went to stealth a generator at the beginning (IIRC, I even announced it or someone asked me to do it prior) and one of the DPS just derped into a group of mobs for no apparent reason. After I basically asked *** had happened, one of the group members insulted the derp DPS and the derp DPS basically said "yeah, I walked into the mobs." No other explanation.

If I remember right, this person also respawned after the first boss (which they had died during) "thinking it would respawn them on the boss" and had to run way back, took a wrong route, and got major lost, ending up pulling a trash group we could have avoided in the process.

They weren't intentionally rude or anything, as far as I could tell, just seemed to be one of those people who insists on figuring things out for themselves, even if it means costing everyone with their mistakes, when they could have just asked.

In general, it bothers me how few people speak up when they have no clue what to do in a flashpoint (you can tell cause it becomes evident down the line how clueless they are in how it works). Like you can ask people, not gonna bite your head off.
Clicky referral link for freebies, read how referral works.

ZouYan
08.23.2019 , 07:58 AM | #9673
Quote: Originally Posted by Zerileth View Post
Had a healer tell me to put my pet away once because it would steal her healing away from the other players.
this was a bug in 4.0 and has since been fixed
Co-GM <Lightning Masters> <Pull Burn Profit>
Mortema | Tsouyen
26/26 NiM post 5.0 | 5/5 Timed Runs
https://lightningmasters-guild.enjin.com/

Rion_Starkiller
08.23.2019 , 11:57 AM | #9674
I remember in 1.x / 2.x where certain players would leave group if a DS conversation decision won the roll in a Pub FP.
-Beruhl
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Lies have been corrected.

Euphrosyne
08.25.2019 , 09:04 AM | #9675
Quote: Originally Posted by Rolodome View Post
In general, it bothers me how few people speak up when they have no clue what to do in a flashpoint (you can tell cause it becomes evident down the line how clueless they are in how it works). Like you can ask people, not gonna bite your head off.
Just had an MM Hammer Station with a 70 Assassin tank who was very obviously completely clueless. Didn't know how to play the class, didn't know anything about the Hammer Station pulls, didn't ever hold aggro, didn't have any gear that made sense (other than a few defense mods and a shield, which were all blues and greens stuffed into adaptive cartel gear), either took an extremely long time to pull or insta-pulled, etc.

Our group was kinda stacked otherwise - me on heals, a good dps that both knew how to play their class and how to do flashpoints well in groups, and a dps that at least knew how to play their class - and we attempted to guide this tank in the general direction of being useful without being, y'know, jerks. We gave tips on line-of-sight pulls in chat. We pointed out his high-threat moves that could help him hold aggro, and we told him to guard one of the dps that kept getting highest threat. Almost none of these did any good; he kept spamming basic attack and Lacerate the entire time, couldn't hold aggro worth anything, ignored suggestions on how to manage each pull and how to do boss mechanics, and made my life as healer very, very difficult.

We never actually wiped, but yeesh. I almost would've assumed the tank had chat turned off, because he never said a word and ignored almost everything we said but he did notice the suggestion to guard a dps two-thirds of the way through the FP (not that that helped him hold aggro ever, but let that go)...
Euphrosynē (n., Greek) - "mirth, merriment"

JediQuaker
08.25.2019 , 10:19 AM | #9676
Quote: Originally Posted by Rolodome View Post
There are 3 types of players:
1. People who type on a daily basis and can do x words per minute without even looking at the keyboard.
2. People like me who, after years of hunting & pecking, can type out a sentence fairly quickly using only a few fingers.
3. People who have to hunt & peck to type out anything.

For #3, and to a lesser extent, #2, the process of trying to type in the chat takes so long that people either rag at you to hurry up and play, or they go off and start attacking long before you can finish typing.
This, when combined with the fact that many people have chat turned off (sometimes accidentally) or have such a small chat box (especially playing at 4k), it's easy to ignore/miss, can explain why people don't "ask" as much as they should.

For #1's - I can understand that it's easy to forget that not everyone can type quickly. Patience, Padawan.

For myself, as a #2, I can usually type fast enough to get a message across - particularly if I type it in small chunks. (So it's more a series of chats rather than a single long one.)

Note to #3's - start by simply typing "wait" (enter), then typing "i have a question" or "I'm new" or whatever.
Hold water, a sieve may not, but hold another sieve, it will - Yoda..

Referral code - http://www.swtor.com/r/dZ8wSV

Euphrosyne
08.25.2019 , 12:48 PM | #9677
Quote: Originally Posted by JediQuaker View Post
1. People who type on a daily basis and can do x words per minute without even looking at the keyboard.
2. People like me who, after years of hunting & pecking, can type out a sentence fairly quickly using only a few fingers.

For #3, and to a lesser extent, #2, the process of trying to type in the chat takes so long that people either rag at you to hurry up and play, or they go off and start attacking long before you can finish typing.
This, when combined with the fact that many people have chat turned off (sometimes accidentally) or have such a small chat box (especially playing at 4k), it's easy to ignore/miss, can explain why people don't "ask" as much as they should.

For #1's - I can understand that it's easy to forget that not everyone can type quickly. Patience, Padawan.

For myself, as a #2, I can usually type fast enough to get a message across - particularly if I type it in small chunks. (So it's more a series of chats rather than a single long one.)

Note to #3's - start by simply typing "wait" (enter), then typing "i have a question" or "I'm new" or whatever.
This post comes from a well-meaning place, but I disagree with it. I disagree with parts of your diagnosis of the problem, but more generally, I disagree with your perception of what is minimum acceptable behavior from the rest of the group's perspective.

Somebody who queues for content in group finder should either a) already know how to perform his/her role in that content or b) ask how to do it so that s/he can be taught. That's it. It's not any more complicated than that. Failure to meet this minimum expectation for whatever reason - a minor derp with the chat box, incompetence, or social anxiety - means that that person should not queue for group finder. If you go into group content not knowing how to do it and not planning to get better, you want everybody else in the group to do it for you. That is leeching, and it is toxic.
Euphrosynē (n., Greek) - "mirth, merriment"

JediQuaker
08.26.2019 , 11:37 AM | #9678
Somebody who queues for content in group finder should ....
I would agree with this as far as OPs, PvP, and to some extent, MM FPs are concerned, but not for ordinary Veteran FPs.
You sound like the sort of person who would wear a baseball uniform and cleats to play "sand lot" softball at a company picnic. (That is based on an actual occurrence. )
Not everyone takes this game all that seriously - nor should they. I'd suggest you only do FPs with a Guild group, or a group of friends, etc. Relaxing and going with the flow doesn't seem to be something you can do.
Hold water, a sieve may not, but hold another sieve, it will - Yoda..

Referral code - http://www.swtor.com/r/dZ8wSV

LiesliaSau
08.26.2019 , 12:12 PM | #9679
If you go into group content not knowing how to do it and not planning to get better, you want everybody else in the group to do it for you. That is leeching, and it is toxic.
So, you can understand how to do content in group finder by doing content in group finder, but you can't do content in group finder because you don't know how, due to you never ever was a part of a group. Or, despite willing to be better, wasn't quick enough to ask how. Moreover, one is toxic now, due to social anxiety ect. Great.

I can understant this position, but as new player can't agree with it, i think.
Star Forge. || Watching and silently judging. ||

Rolodome
08.26.2019 , 09:18 PM | #9680
Quote: Originally Posted by JediQuaker View Post

You know, it occurs to me that maybe they should make it so the chat box automatically gets turned on when you load into a group FP, if it's currently off. Heck, maybe even disable that feature while you're in a group FP. I don't think I've ever been oblivious enough to leave it off the entire time, but I do play with chat off a lot and have forgotten for a bit before remembering, in the past. Nowadays though, I'm in the habit of saying hi at the beginning, so I'd notice the abscence of the ability to do that if chat was off.

But that could be a significant cause of it. I hadn't thought about typing, but maybe they could give people some sort of "Don't Know Fights" checkbox they can choose before queuing. And then it would give the people in the group some kind of indicator to communicate it. That way they don't have to do a lot of typing for people to know.
Clicky referral link for freebies, read how referral works.