Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PvP Tanking for Dummies (5.7)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
PvP Tanking for Dummies (5.7)

kissingaiur
02.07.2018 , 06:21 PM | #1

Hey guys, Hottie here @SS. I decided to pick up tanking recently and am lucky enough to know some accomplished solo and team ranked tanks who I could turn to for advice. I realized, however, that there are very few resources out there for those who want to learn more about tanking. This prompted me to collaborate with them on this guide.

I hope itíll be useful to beginners and more seasoned players alike: not only to tanks but those who play with and against them.

The guide gives an overview of stats and gearing and covers the fundamentals of guarding and taunting, CCs, basic rotations, DCD usage and utilities.

Itís important to me to put out good, well-researched information. If there are any errors or omissions, please let me know.

Enjoy .
Hothothothothothotho
"I need you all to know that Iíve transcended ranked pvp by reading about it on the forums"
5.6 PvP Operative Healing / twitch.tv/kissingaiur

AdjeYo
02.08.2018 , 05:02 AM | #2
Couple of things
First of all you CAN in fact shield and defend damage taken through guard, as long as the original attack is shieldable/defendable, the game keeps track of what damage you're intercepting through guard, so if a Marksmanship sniper is tunneling your guarded target and you're low on health, Saber Ward or Deflection is going to help you a lot more than Invincible or Overcharge Saber.
Secondly Energy Shield does not reduce all damage taken by 25%, it increases your damage reduction by 25%, which is a fundamentally different thing.
Lastly the Juggernaut utility setup is outdated, some of the utilities listed do not exist anymore. Also, though is more of a preference, I really recommend taking Unshackling Rage as a Juggernaut as it is a ridiculously good movement utility that way outshines a cooldown reduction on one hardstun.

EDIT: This one is reaching a bit, but the 5% reduced damage taken from guard is in fact applied in PvP too, so theoretically if you're the only person with a guard leaving guard on when you go away does have some slight use, although it's nearly negligible.

KendraP
02.08.2018 , 08:31 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by AdjeYo View Post
Lastly the Juggernaut utility setup is outdated, some of the utilities listed do not exist anymore. Also, though is more of a preference, I really recommend taking Unshackling Rage as a Juggernaut as it is a ridiculously good movement utility that way outshines a cooldown reduction on one hardstun.
I noticed this too. It looks like she updated it though. I do tend to take the reduced CD on force stasis though it's hardly mandatory. Basically I'm the same as her for the first tier, for the second tier I take unremitting (the push pull immunity for 4s). Since she changed it, we have the same third tier. For the last tier, again we both take the reflect but different secondaries. But neither is really a mandatory, so meh.

We also disagree on what is mandatory. While I agree the 30s reduction on focused/enraged defense is, I would include the reflect length increase as well. Sure it's a bigger deal in PvE, where it's an exceptional threat tool with that point, but especially with all the mercs around reflecting. At least in regs, ours tends to get ignored and is very useful.

kissingaiur
02.08.2018 , 08:55 AM | #4
Couple of things
First of all you CAN in fact shield and defend damage taken through guard, as long as the original attack is shieldable/defendable, the game keeps track of what damage you're intercepting through guard, so if a Marksmanship sniper is tunneling your guarded target and you're low on health, Saber Ward or Deflection is going to help you a lot more than Invincible or Overcharge Saber.
Need to double check this with some people.

Secondly Energy Shield does not reduce all damage taken by 25%, it increases your damage reduction by 25%, which is a fundamentally different thing.
Is this a way of just saying it's additive not multiplicative? Regardless, this was something I was not aware of and it was also brought up by another player on reddit. It's on my to-do-list to be adjusted to reflect this information (if this is what you meant).

Editted already, it was an oversight, whoops.

EDIT: This one is reaching a bit, but the 5% reduced damage taken from guard is in fact applied in PvP too, so theoretically if you're the only person with a guard leaving guard on when you go away does have some slight use, although it's nearly negligible.
This is something I actually was not aware of. I want to go and test this to make sure. Since guard functions differently in pvp to pve it's worth double checking. Ill get back to you on this but if it is correct I will make sure the guide reflects this once my editor is awake.

Good stuff. Thanks for the feedback .
Hothothothothothotho
"I need you all to know that Iíve transcended ranked pvp by reading about it on the forums"

KendraP
02.08.2018 , 09:25 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by kissingaiur View Post
Need to double check this with some people.
I believe he's right here. Consider how squishy a dps guard is vs a tank guard.

AdjeYo
02.08.2018 , 09:35 AM | #6
Is this a way of just saying it's additive not multiplicative? Regardless, this was something I was not aware of and it was also brought up by another player on reddit. It's on my to-do-list to be adjusted to reflect this information (if this is what you meant).
Yes Energy Shield and the likes add to your existing damage reduction additively So say at 50% DR with energy shield up you'll have 75% DR and thus recieve only 1-0.75=0.25 of all damage.
Whereas things like Invincible provide a separate reduction layer. So with 50% DR and Invincible you'll take
(1-0.5)*(1-0.4)=0.3 of all damage.

kissingaiur
02.08.2018 , 09:46 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by KendraP View Post
I believe he's right here. Consider how squishy a dps guard is vs a tank guard.
Iím still double checking it just for completeness sake.

ďbut-but dps Guarding are OP!!11!1!! NERF GUARD.Ē /endsarcasm
Hothothothothothotho

kissingaiur
02.08.2018 , 09:48 AM | #8
Yes Energy Shield and the likes add to your existing damage reduction additively So say at 50% DR with energy shield up you'll have 75% DR and thus recieve only 1-0.75=0.25 of all damage.
Whereas things like Invincible provide a separate reduction layer. So with 50% DR and Invincible you'll take
(1-0.5)*(1-0.4)=0.3 of all damage.
Yup it makes sense, if it was the other way around for immortal it would make their damage reduction huge, possibility class tuning is why itís like this.
Hothothothothothotho

KendraP
02.08.2018 , 10:17 AM | #9
ďbut-but dps Guarding are OP!!11!1!! NERF GUARD.Ē /endsarcasm
Oh don't get me going on that thread. I've already been ranting over there since literally last july.

DenariusJay
02.08.2018 , 10:53 AM | #10
Couple of things

I would like to know for sure about this, since I've always wondered for along time whether that 5% still worked out of guards initial damage redirection range. Like if I put guard on a player and he ends up going halfway across the map and I'm at the spawn, does the 5% still actually work? I remember combing websites and the forums a few years back and never finding an answer for this.
server: The Hot Prospect (10/4/2017 #NEVERFORGET)
Characters: Olivia Munn / Rashida Jones / Alicia Keys / Colin Kaepernick