Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

If you have a guild bank, it will be re-granted to your new guild on your destination server by Customer Service. This is not an automatic process and you will have to contact Customer Service directly.

Thanks for clarification regarding guild bank. Inventory transfer is automatic i take it. What about individual storage locker of each character ? Would that transfer over ? Is there a process involved similar to guild bank. Some clarification on this would be appreciated.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bittersweet news. Not supporting guild transfers is a bad mistake. This should be like guild banks: a manual process guild masters initiate through customer service. Use the same system of the pre-launch guild program. Have members prompted to join upon first login to new server (after the guild has been reformed on the new server).

Wouldn't that make a huge difference in the legacy xp? What I mean is you can reach Legacy level 1 way quicker than Legacy 50 right?

Not if I remember correctly. For legacy 1 it was 240K for legacy 2 it was 241K etc.

So giving up a level or 2 should counter-balance that difference.

Awesome work! This made my day. At least you made on customer really really happy today. Keep up the good work and i'm sure you guys will do a great job about the server transfer! I'm 100% sure that you guys know what your doing and I think it's going to work out well on the transfer day! :D

The main thing im worried about is i play on an RP-PVP server, and their is only three servers of this type.

I play on the English server and their are also two others a French and German Laugauge, which discounts these out from merging. Their are eight other RP servers in total (well in other words RP-PVE) but as Bio-ware have stated no transfers will be made from PVP to PVE.

So my question is where does this leave us?

They will either do two things

Give us the option to transfer to a RP server....i dont think they will be transfering from other RP servers to ours because of the PVP part of our RP server.

Or they will give PVP servers the option to transfer to our RP - PVP which i hope they dont do. Players that choose an RP option in their server , are a different type of player that would choose PVP servers. In my opinion if they go down this road it kill the community on our server.

I have mine on a popular server and have toons on a dead server, will I be able to leave them on the dead server Untill I can bring them too my current server, or will I have to transfer from If its a origin server you selected to the destination one you and wait till you allow me to transfer to my main one?:rak_02:

Well, I'm sure they are reading ALL the posts and finding that the response has been overwhelmingly positive.

I just went through the first 20 pages, then pages 40-50, then pages 60-70 (where pretty much no one new has been posting) and these are my results, excluding just questions and multiple posts from the same user:

Number of unique responses in favor of this news: 68

Number of unique responses not in favor: 27

You do the math. ;) Multiple posts from the same few users do not mean there's a big issue. :D

Yeah. basically, the 27 people are predominantly those who gave up on their dead server for one of the 3-4 real ones, and now are forced to wait a lot longer to transfer their original mains to the server of THEIR choice.

I do understand this gripe. RIFT let them transfer willy nilly for free.

However, I also understand why Bioware is doing what they are doing. They really do want servers to be equally balanced. This is the best way to do this. The only real concern was guild manual transfers, and being able to pick up stragglers over time but Joveth and Allison have both clarified that this won't be an issue. Destination server(s) won't change for an individual origin server for months.

It's not a perfect solution, but at least this one is well thought out. They'll even let people who enjoy a dead server stay there.

Joveth,

I'm going to wager quite a few Community members are going to wait this "transfer on rails" out, and look for the option (paid) to move our toons freely from server to server.

With that in mind, please make releasing details on the paid service a priority once you've got the server populations close to where you want them.

I very much want to play my characters on Firaxan Shark again, but I can't go back to worlds with three and four people on them after being spoiled on Lord Adraas. ;)

There is good and bad with this move. Being on a dead server is bad for pve finding groups etc... Being on an overpopulated server is bad for dailies ie spawns etc and Raiding the more people that are raiding at the same time the more lag players will experience while trying to do end game content.

I personally am looking forward to the move I just hope there are enough people on the server to do content while balencing the issue of over population like fatman.

The only question/suggestion that I have Is why doesn't the guild bank move with the guild leader when they transfer? GM has unlimited access anyway, so if they wanted to ninja it they could anyway. I don't understand the reasoning behind needing to put a ticket in for the guild bank.

Also do we need to move all items out of the guild bank before the move and the ticket will only revive the slots the guild has purchased or will the ticket move all items and money from one guild bank to the new server?

Edited by Ramladon

Too bad Bioware can't get anything right lately...

Rift lets people transfer wherever the heck they darn well please, from characters to entire guild. They place limits (once per week, character level, etc.) to ensure its not abused. And better yet, they'll inform you if a name change is required BEFORE you transfer.

http://www.riftgame.com/en/community/character-transfer.php

So, Bioware, why do you /fail in "transfers"?

I'm just utterly shocked to see this hemorrhaging mess unfold. I feel like I'm reliving Cryptic's failure with STO.

Edited by cipher_nemo

It's completely unfair that I was forced to start a new character on a server and now I'm not going to be able to consolidate all of my characters on one server. I would like all of my alts on the same server so I can benefit from the legacy exp when I play them.

+1 internets to you!

This is what I am thinking as well sir.

I rerolled to another server as everyone was saying to do and now I cant use my REROLL!!! That is not fair guys. I am tired of putting time into toons to only be left behind again... already been down this road.

I just spent 2 months on another toon only to be left behind again!!! ***!!

Say it aint so.

Yeah. basically, the 27 people are predominantly those who gave up on their dead server for one of the 3-4 real ones, and now are forced to wait a lot longer to transfer their original mains to the server of THEIR choice.

I do understand this gripe. RIFT let them transfer willy nilly for free.

However, I also understand why Bioware is doing what they are doing. They really do want servers to be equally balanced. This is the best way to do this. The only real concern was guild manual transfers, and being able to pick up stragglers over time but Joveth and Allison have both clarified that this won't be an issue. Destination server(s) won't change for an individual origin server for months.

It's not a perfect solution, but at least this one is well thought out. They'll even let people who enjoy a dead server stay there.

Quick question....

Do you think the people who have firmly secured themselves a more popular server will even want to play their old characters if they are not moved to the server said account owner is actively playing on?

I mean, why would someone want to go play on a server they have no desire to play on, when in fact the majority of people who found themselves on "dead servers" re-rolled ALONG time ago to a more populated server.

You have 2 choices, leave your new toons and play your old toons or ignore your old toons and play the new ones, you wont find many wanting to share their time and effort among 2 servers.

To fully benefit from the content this game provides, it is nice to have 1 of each class on both imp and rep sides.

My old server has my 4 Rep toons, my new server has 3 Imperial toons (all 50's), why should i need to re-grind a whole new 4 republic toons or 4 more imperial toons depending on my destination?

Quick question....

Do you think the people who have firmly secured themselves a more popular server will even want to play their old characters if they are not moved to the server said account owner is actively playing on?

I mean, why would someone want to go play on a server they have no desire to play on, when in fact the majority of people who found themselves on "dead servers" re-rolled ALONG time ago to a more populated server.

You have 2 choices, leave your new toons and play your old toons or ignore your old toons and play the new ones, you wont find many wanting to share their time and effort among 2 servers.

To fully benefit from the content this game provides, it is nice to have 1 of each class on both imp and rep sides.

My old server has my 4 Rep toons, my new server has 3 Imperial toons (all 50's), why should i need to re-grind a whole new 4 republic toons or 4 more imperial toons depending on my destination?

I have found a sever that has a lot of people on but there is to much lag to play on that sever ok.

I

P.S. I know it is too late to change the transfer process...But I honestly would have preferred that decisions about who gets a character name be handled like DCUO did things last year, where:

1) Priority went to active subscriptions (i.e. someone who pays money to subscribe got priority over an inactive sub, DCUO was P2P at the time)

2) Priority went to active in-game players (i.e. if you had logged in in the last 30 days)

3) If both of the above conditions were met for 2 people with the same name, the person who had more active logged in time got to keep the name (this tended to ensure that people at least kept their mains' name).

I actually have a problem with doing it that way. I tend to play a game till I get bored with it, then leave for awhile and come back to it later, generally that could be anywhere from a couple months to a couple years. My point is I eventually come back, based on your suggestion during the time I would be inactive someone could walk in and steal my name simply cause I am inactive. Forcing me to rename when I come back, I would be rather ticked off if I had to change my name that I have been using in various MMO's (and even PBEM games) for the last 13 years. I shouldn't be forced to change my name if I don't want to simply because I was inactive and someone took it from me.

Any word on increasing the character slots per server? I want to transfer my last character to a server where I started my other characters and there's 8 of them. I don't want to delete any of them :(

That's a good question, I have been wondering the same thing myself.

+1 internets to you!

This is what I am thinking as well sir.

I rerolled to another server as everyone was saying to do and now I cant use my REROLL!!! That is not fair guys. I am tired of putting time into toons to only be left behind again... already been down this road.

I just spent 2 months on another toon only to be left behind again!!! ***!!

Say it aint so.

I only have 1 level 50 toon and another level 29 on a different server... I stopped playing the 29 when the population issues started because I knew there would be a fix coming somehow. Common sense would tell you that it would effect legacy as well. So the only toon I play is the 50. If I lose the 29, no biggie... just reroll him on the server that all my chars will be on.

Quick question....

To answer your question, I'd say "It depends on whether or not you'd be happy on your current server, or your old one transferred over".

You know how I'll continue answering this. You should've quit the game like I did (effectively speaking) and picked up another while we "waited" for transfer information months ago. Additionally, Bioware will HAPPILY take your money and transfer your characters to your choice of servers - once the dead server transfers are taken care of first.

Unfortunately, because Bioware took way, way, WAY too long to get this going...the free transfer portion of this process will take weeks - no months.

I personally told my entire guild not to re-roll elsewhere, because I've been to these rodeos a few times and I know how these things typically go.

I'm not trolling here, I'm just being honest. Everyone who re-rolled to Fatman, Candorous Ordo, Ajunta Pall, Jedi Coveneant, Harbringer AFTER the initial server transfer announcement came had to know there was at least the risk of this happening.

As a guildmaster of a formerly huge guild, I decided it was better to have friends quit, then be in a situation like you and others are in now. At least the people who quit 1-2 months ago didn't quit mad. They'll come back once they learn about transfers. mostly.

Question about the Guild Banks. When we recreate our guild on the new server and petition Customer Service to give us the bank we had on the previous server, will we get the items in that bank as well, or just the tabs we purchased?

Basically, I want to know if we should be moving everything from the guild bank we want to keep into Officer banks to ensure it gets transferred or if it's fine to leave it where it is.

To answer your question, I'd say "It depends on whether or not you'd be happy on your current server, or your old one transferred over".

You know how I'll continue answering this. You should've quit the game like I did (effectively speaking) and picked up another while we "waited" for transfer information months ago. Additionally, Bioware will HAPPILY take your money and transfer your characters to your choice of servers - once the dead server transfers are taken care of first.

Unfortunately, because Bioware took way, way, WAY too long to get this going...the free transfer portion of this process will take weeks - no months.

I personally told my entire guild not to re-roll elsewhere, because I've been to these rodeos a few times and I know how these things typically go.

I'm not trolling here, I'm just being honest. Everyone who re-rolled to Fatman, Candorous Ordo, Ajunta Pall, Jedi Coveneant, Harbringer AFTER the initial server transfer announcement came had to know there was at least the risk of this happening.

As a guildmaster of a formerly huge guild, I decided it was better to have friends quit, then be in a situation like you and others are in now. At least the people who quit 1-2 months ago didn't quit mad. They'll come back once they learn about transfers. mostly.

I agree with this. What seems to be the only ways of working this out are:

1) Bioware opens up transfers for low pop and very high pop servers to transfer to a middle server. The same high pop servers are open every time to transfer FROM, so all have the opportunity to re-unite their toons.

2) You wait until paid transfers come out so you can move your high pop toons to where you want.

I don't think there're any other ways.

So does this mean that if I am not on one of the chosen few servers then I will have to give up my character names because someone played 5 min of the trial version and never even bought the game? Fail.

EverQuest at least gave you a chance at it. You would get your name over the existing character if the existing character was a trial account, was under a certain level, or hadn't logged in a certain period. This at least let someone that had spent 30+ days of play time building up a character keep there name vs some level 1 placeholder or trial account that's never coming back.

So does this mean that if I am not on one of the chosen few servers then I will have to give up my character names because someone played 5 min of the trial version and never even bought the game?

Did they ever directly address this? No. They'll probably comment on it within the next 5 days, though.

That said, I absolutely agree with your point.

Edited by psi_overtake

Half of all accounts created by purchasing the game are dead, plus untold scores of friend trials & freebie weekends holding names frozen like Han in carbonite.

They need to get rid of the cruft and pseudo-voluntary merges-but-not-merges will do very little towards that.

I re-rolled on fatman in March, ive then since lvl'd 3 toons and established myself with the community, prior to release there were 2 groups of people i knew from a previous game, 1 group of us were placed on Wots and the other Fatman, upon WOTS dying i decided to join the rest of my friends on fatman.

Here's what im saying, by moving my old toons to fatman where i am actively playing (and with more than one guild ) will not increase the population anymore than it already is, forcing me to move my toons to another server is not the answer to balance the population on fatman, because i would rather stay there than go elsewhere.

The big question is if people will able to get chars OFF of fatman. It's a refugee server but how many refugees would actually leave? ESPECIALLY INITIALLY when there are no stats or clues on where to go. Basically is there a way to do this without permanently killing the server? I've seen all the Poopskywalkers and trolls that I can stand.