Tokens and rewards

avenger_online

This is a little suggestion for the devs thoughts on the idea are also appreciated. I think everyone will agree that the prices of the rewards right now is a bit too high even for the higher players, silver used to get you a weapon set but now even gold doesnt cover the cost of 1 weapon of the replicas that came at the end of season 10. I understand the need to not make it easily accessible but for 50k tokens for 1 weapon and 100k for 1 set of armor is a bit too high.

A while back they said they were going to be making tokens legacy wide which would actually be a great idea as it means each person doesnt just have to focus on 1 character but we havent heard anything in months on the matter and an update would be good. However I would say until that happens, there should be some way to make it just a little more accessible to players. I would say maybe during the season those rewards are released a sale of 25 or even 50% could be applied, or even just discount them during the preseason before all token Grant's go out, meaning those who have grinded tokens hard all season long can access those rewards just a little better and after the sale just return them to full price. I would say that one of these ideas should be done until ranked tokens are made legacy wide.

This is a little suggestion for the devs thoughts on the idea are also appreciated. I think everyone will agree that the prices of the rewards right now is a bit too high even for the higher players,

Nope, I disagree. I think the prices are appropriate because they reward players that actually play ranked on a regular basis.

Full disclosure, I'm biased on this topic, because I play a lot of ranked, and mostly on one character, but I still think it's a good idea for Bioware to reward people like me that actually play ranked. It doesn't make sense for players that play just a handful of games to get equal access to the best rewards.

If you get a high rating in a few games, you'll still get the title and flair, but if you want the other good stuff, you have to play the game. I don't think that's unfair. This is especially important because wintraders that get their high ratings in a few games can't also buy the vendor rewards instantly.

Nope, I disagree. I think the prices are appropriate because they reward players that actually play ranked on a regular basis.

Full disclosure, I'm biased on this topic, because I play a lot of ranked, and mostly on one character, but I still think it's a good idea for Bioware to reward people like me that actually play ranked. It doesn't make sense for players that play just a handful of games to get equal access to the best rewards.

If you get a high rating in a few games, you'll still get the title and flair, but if you want the other good stuff, you have to play the game. I don't think that's unfair. This is especially important because wintraders that get their high ratings in a few games can't also buy the vendor rewards instantly.

I do agree with you on the win trading bit, and they shouldn't have access to easy rewards but if you run the numbers, to get a weapon box it requires 360 wins excluding losses and another 720 ON TOP of that to get an armor set, so to get 1 armor set and 1 weapon it takes over 1000 games.

I do agree with you on the win trading bit, and they shouldn't have access to easy rewards but if you run the numbers, to get a weapon box it requires 360 wins excluding losses and another 720 ON TOP of that to get an armor set, so to get 1 armor set and 1 weapon it takes over 1000 games.

But that's only for the re-released stuff from previous seasons isn't it? They purposely made that stuff extra expensive so that it stays relatively rare. They're not really supposed to be affordable by the end of one season.

I'm unclear on why tokens are toon-specific. they aren't titles. and unlike past (better) season rewards, you don't automatically receive them if you reach a certain tier.

whatever happened to x-weapon set for silver, x-weapon and gear set for gold?

none of that precludes players grinding comms and buying the same gear. it's the fundamental principle of BW's "everyone can get it. it just takes a little longer" motto. I feel that if you make the tier, you shouldn't have to sit there grinding comms on the same toon. go off and play other toons. live your life. along the same lines, I play ranked almost every night, but I don't wanna have to sit on the same one or two toons every night just to ensure I can afford whatever reward I want (full disclosure, none of them appeal to me anyway; this is more a matter of principle and concern when the furious replicas come available).

I'm unclear on why tokens are toon-specific. they aren't titles. and unlike past (better) season rewards, you don't automatically receive them if you reach a certain tier.

I assume it's because they only want people to be able to use the ranked rewards on the toons they did ranked on. But then again, some of the rewards are legacy bound, so you can buy it on one character and still end up using it on another that doesn't even play ranked. So ultimately, it does seem a bit silly.

none of that precludes players grinding comms and buying the same gear. it's the fundamental principle of BW's "everyone can get it. it just takes a little longer" motto. I feel that if you make the tier, you shouldn't have to sit there grinding comms on the same toon. go off and play other toons. live your life. along the same lines, I play ranked almost every night, but I don't wanna have to sit on the same one or two toons every night just to ensure I can afford whatever reward I want (full disclosure, none of them appeal to me anyway; this is more a matter of principle and concern when the furious replicas come available).

Your opinion here is reasonable. But grinding comms in ranked is a different animal from other kinds of grinding. You still need to be able to actually win games on a consistent basis. Plus, there are other incentives to keep playing, such as climbing higher or maintaining your rating, or god forbid, having fun.

To me it's pretty simple. They want the ranked rewards, particularly the ones from past seasons, to be expensive and rare. So you have to be at least pretty decent at ranked, and play a lot of it to be able to afford them right away. For people that play less, or aren't as good, or both, it will take a lot longer. That seems fair to me.

One other note, if you look at the leaderboards, there are very few people with say, 500+ wins (seems to be a few on DM, but hardly any on SF and SS). It's not like there are hoards of mediocre players just grinding solo ranked to get furious gear 8 months from now or whenever season 12 ends.

500 wins is pretty ridiculous -- remember, the whole point is to be able to play your stable. I'm more alarmed by the number of players with fewer than 50 wins. when last I checked SF merc/mando, I think only 2 or 3 of the top 10 had 50+.

it could all be fixed by not tying the comms to individual toons. that's just asinine. same account. same person grinding the same amount of games.

I don't know what stuff was like at the start of season, but there's no way you're moving from 1400 to 1500 without significantly carrying. The second you get into the upper 1300s, you get burdened with at least one, usually 2 carries (depending on the time of night). so outside of someone(s) helping you (there've been some healers not taking pops and others suspiciously bad), I don't think it's possible to cross into gold w/o earning it in any number of games (it looks like you need ~ 20-30 wins).

500 wins is pretty ridiculous -- remember, the whole point is to be able to play your stable. I'm more alarmed by the number of players with fewer than 50 wins. when last I checked SF merc/mando, I think only 2 or 3 of the top 10 had 50+.

it could all be fixed by not tying the comms to individual toons. that's just asinine. same account. same person grinding the same amount of games.

I don't think it's that ridiculous really. Ranked games are quite short and the seasons are rather long. But anyway, I wouldn't really be opposed to it if they made that change. Doesn't really bother me either way. I just think it's a bit weird to be able to use ranked rewards on non-ranked playing toons, but that's just me.

I don't know what stuff was like at the start of season, but there's no way you're moving from 1400 to 1500 without significantly carrying. The second you get into the upper 1300s, you get burdened with at least one, usually 2 carries (depending on the time of night). so outside of someone(s) helping you (there've been some healers not taking pops and others suspiciously bad), I don't think it's possible to cross into gold w/o earning it in any number of games (it looks like you need ~ 20-30 wins).

Speaking for myself, I got gold within my first 30 games or so. But since then, in the many, many games I've played on my main, I've hovered between about 1350 and 1500. As recently as about a week ago or so, I was in the high 1300s, but I've now climbed back over 1500. So it is possible, but I agree that it's quite difficult, and there is a lot of luck involved in terms of who you get teamed with.

Edited by JediMasterAlex

The point I'm trying to make is that if we play ranked on multiple toons then we should be able to pool all of the tokens we earn to be able to get the more expensive rewards and the prices of the current items means we cant play multiple toons in ranked but just stick to the one. My main is jugg but I also play a lot of mara sorc and sniper in ranked but lately I've just been grinding on my jugg all season long due to the price of the items, I earnt about 40k each on my mara and sorc last season and I'd like to put that all together to get either some weapons or a set of armor after I get some more tokens. Edited by avenger_online

The point I'm trying to make is that if we play ranked on multiple toons then we should be able to pool all of the tokens we earn to be able to get the more expensive rewards and the prices of the current items means we cant play multiple toons in ranked but just stick to the one. My main is jugg but I also play a lot of mara sorc and sniper in ranked but lately I've just been grinding on my jugg all season long due to the price of the items, I earnt about 40k each on my mara and sorc last season and I'd like to put that all together to get either some weapons or a set of armor after I get some more tokens.

yeah. I'm not sure anyone objects to that except BW. an iunno why.

This is a little suggestion for the devs thoughts on the idea are also appreciated. I think everyone will agree that the prices of the rewards right now is a bit too high even for the higher players, silver used to get you a weapon set but now even gold doesnt cover the cost of 1 weapon of the replicas that came at the end of season 10. I understand the need to not make it easily accessible but for 50k tokens for 1 weapon and 100k for 1 set of armor is a bit too high.

A while back they said they were going to be making tokens legacy wide which would actually be a great idea as it means each person doesnt just have to focus on 1 character but we havent heard anything in months on the matter and an update would be good. However I would say until that happens, there should be some way to make it just a little more accessible to players. I would say maybe during the season those rewards are released a sale of 25 or even 50% could be applied, or even just discount them during the preseason before all token Grant's go out, meaning those who have grinded tokens hard all season long can access those rewards just a little better and after the sale just return them to full price. I would say that one of these ideas should be done until ranked tokens are made legacy wide.

See, thats why I said sell the class titles. If you set the price at 300k ranked comms the class titles would still be rare because of how expensive everything is and it would reduce wintrading.

See, thats why I said sell the class titles. If you set the price at 300k ranked comms the class titles would still be rare because of how expensive everything is and it would reduce wintrading.

Yeah and we should sell PvE titles like Dread Master, Gate Crasher, that's a stupid idea to sell top 3 tiles.

Top 3 tiles = good player

OP: *Signed, +1. It isn't fair ranked rewards are the most exclusive and the best in the game, yet are catered towards elitists. Solo Ranked players work their @sses off season after season for skimpy rewards. Tired of seeing it for so long.

nothing that you said here (other than +1) makes any sense. wanna try again...in English this time?

let's review:

1. the ranked rewards are the best in the game. -- ok. I'm with you so far. I disagree. they're just rehashing old rewards that were the most unique in the game until BW recycled them in the CM and now for "replica" rewards, but moving on...
  2. these rewards are catered toward elitists. -- I'm not following you at all here. you object that in order to get the best stuff, you shouldn't be the best? that's literally every game I've ever played (video or real life). but putting that aside, you can lose every match you ever play and still grind out all of the rewards except the tier titles/flags. so...what are you even talking about?
  3. solo ranked players work their butts off for skimpy rewards. -- ok. this just argues exactly the opposite of your first sentence. SR rewards are the same as granked rewards, and those are the only ranked rewards in the game, which you just called the best rewards in the game.
  4. you're tired of seeing this for so long. -- mhm. I have no idea what it is you're "seeing," but it sounds like a trip.

ok. that was harsh. but seriously. take a breath and try again. what is your point other than you're upset?

The point I'm trying to make is that if we play ranked on multiple toons then we should be able to pool all of the tokens we earn to be able to get the more expensive rewards and the prices of the current items means we cant play multiple toons in ranked but just stick to the one. My main is jugg but I also play a lot of mara sorc and sniper in ranked but lately I've just been grinding on my jugg all season long due to the price of the items, I earnt about 40k each on my mara and sorc last season and I'd like to put that all together to get either some weapons or a set of armor after I get some more tokens.

For whatever reasons, BW decided to go in another direction regarding alt gameplay.

Instead of encouraging alts to be played, they have done everything to force people to stick on one or two toons instead of playing their “stable” as mentioned above.

When these changes were made, they were met with tons of opposition from PVPers who once enjoyed being able to gear alts easily to the conquest driven players who liked to log in on any toon to work conquest without the heavy restrictions conquest now has regarding how toons accrue conquest points.

If BW wants people to log in and play more, they would make it so players were rewarded by playing their alts, not punished as they are now.

Accruing comms across all toons would encourage more gameplay and also add more diversity to the queues regarding classes because as it stands people are more apt to play the FOTM class seeing the comms are not legacy bound. More success will be found on stronger classes, so why would a player play a much weaker class in ranked?

We once were able to transfer comms between our toons, people loved it and for a short while then it got gutted for a far more inferior gearing system that discouraged playing alts. People left the game in droves shortly after that mega change.

No idea why BW fails to listen to what players want, but they march to the beat of their own drum, for better or worse.

Accruing comms across all toons would encourage more gameplay and also add more diversity to the queues regarding classes because as it stands people are more apt to play the FOTM class seeing the comms are not legacy bound. More success will be found on stronger classes, so why would a player play a much weaker class in ranked?

This is actually a good point I hadn't fully considered. My main isn't FOTM, but still, if they made legacy bound tokens I would be much more likely to try out some new classes in ranked. As it stands now, I have little incentive to unless I plan to play them a decent amount.

Edited by JediMasterAlex

This is actually a good point I hadn't fully considered. My main isn't FOTM, but still, if they made legacy bound tokens I would be much more likely to try out some new classes in ranked. As it stands now, I have little incentive to unless I plan to play them a decent amount.

Well, I found this to be the case personally even after they “adjusted” the grind a bit, I found myself playing the toon I did the best with, not necessarily the one I enjoyed playing the most.

I actually enjoy merc heals the best, but in ranked I was getting smoked so hard I just got fed up and logged in my sorc healer. Less drama from teammates, and easier to carry weaker teammates on my sorc whereas on my merc healer I was more liability than help.

I couldn’t imagine suffering through hundreds of games on my merc healer, whereas on my sorc it was more likely I could stick with it.

I ended up not even doing that due to so many matches being crap with traders dropping off teams always leaving the matches with 3v4 or worse. The frustration wasn’t worth the rewards, and shortly after this I just quit the game altogether.

I hope things improve for the game, not just ranked, but in all facets including PVE, class balance, and even in the lower tier PVP brackets. Another thing they removed which was dumb imo was the ability to earn comms with all levels of toons. It added an incentive and encouraged people to play their lowbies and mids in PVP when those toons also earned WZ comms.

Now, a major part of the progression for PVP skill has been wrecked by stripping all incentives from playing lower tier PVP. To many who didn’t play lower level brackets in PVP this didn’t seem like a big deal but look at the big picture... when newer players come to the game, the first thing they dabble in are low tier activities and that includes PVP.

How does it make sense to make it so people are discouraged from queuing lowbie PVP? Why would they eliminate useful and fun rewards from lowbie PVP? Totally backwards to how it should be. Guilds used to run lowbie teams, mids teams just for PVP and these brackets once flourished! Now they are dead. How does this look to someone trying to learn their class in PVP when the queues only pop 4v4s if lucky, and nothing at all at worst?

Another suggestion for the devs, if you guys are unable to make ranked tokens legacy wide, why dont you guys do what you did a few years ago with the warzone conns, where you could buy legacy comm Grant's. For example you would pay 20k comms for a 20k comm legacy bound grant which you could then redeem on other characters, you could do the same with ranked tokens now and have like 1k 5k 10k 50k and 100k Grant's which you could buy from the vendor and send over to different toons in your legacy and remove these once tou make the currency legacy bound.