Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Slicing Profitability & You!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Slicing Profitability & You!

Stillnotking
12.25.2011 , 08:54 AM | #51
You are a prince, nay, a god among men. Thank you for sharing this!
Imperial Agent - Operative - Medic
"Every man is surrounded by a neighborhood of voluntary spies." - Jane Austen

bboudreaux
12.25.2011 , 09:18 AM | #52
Quote: Originally Posted by Vlakrar View Post
It does effect the time it takes them to complete it
No it doesn't .. if you take a look .. certain companions are more efficient at certain skills .. affection amount does not change that .. it's the same if you have 0 affection or 5 thousand .. take a look for yourself

for slicing, Mako has a +15 efficiency and this is why the times are reduced .. she has this form the very beginning even with just 10 affection points and this does not change even after a few thousand

For artificing, Khem Val has a +15 efficiency and same thing .. this is from the very beginning even with 10 affection or a few thousand it doesn't change

Stillnotking
12.25.2011 , 09:24 AM | #53
Quote: Originally Posted by bboudreaux View Post
No it doesn't .. if you take a look .. certain companions are more efficient at certain skills .. affection amount does not change that .. it's the same if you have 0 affection or 5 thousand .. take a look for yourself

for slicing, Mako has a +15 efficiency and this is why the times are reduced .. she has this form the very beginning even with just 10 affection points and this does not change even after a few thousand

For artificing, Khem Val has a +15 efficiency and same thing .. this is from the very beginning even with 10 affection or a few thousand it doesn't change
No. You are completely wrong about this. I have all 5 of my companions at 10k affection, and every one of them is at least 20% faster than the ship droid regardless of specialization. Affection rating does affect the speed of crafting and mission completion, and supposedly also affects crit chance (although I have seen no data to support that).
Imperial Agent - Operative - Medic
"Every man is surrounded by a neighborhood of voluntary spies." - Jane Austen

Sarah_Kerrigan
12.25.2011 , 09:29 AM | #54
Quote: Originally Posted by GGTeMpLaR View Post
Companion affection does not affect the gathering skills FYI.
FYI, yes it does.
Quote:
Please do not post in a font size that is considered to be disruptive and is used only to fill a page. This too is considered spam.
BIOWARE, Y U GIVE ME BIG, BEAUTIFUL FONT IF U HATE IT SO MUCH?????

Turelus
12.25.2011 , 11:14 AM | #55
Thanks for a great guide.
The Progenitor - EU - RP
The Turelus Legacy: Tonantus, Trepkos, Taja & Turelus

pdxmarcos
12.25.2011 , 11:56 AM | #56
Quote: Originally Posted by bboudreaux View Post

The second sheet of my spreadsheet shows data that was collected to show that you are incorrect. Affection improves the speed at which your companions complete missions. It is estimated that every 750 affection decreases the time for your companion to complete a mission by an additional 1%.

This will not be listed on the mission select screen, but when you send your companion out on a mission then open up your companion list it will show they will return sooner than the listed mission time.

Beknatok
12.25.2011 , 12:15 PM | #57
Thank you for a fantastic breakdown!
Indeed, I am most eager to engage in some unadulterated violence.
At your command, of course, master.

HappyRhodes
12.25.2011 , 05:03 PM | #58
Yep, great clarifying the situation.

In simpler terms for some other people though:

To make money from slicing, spam rich and bountiful quests. In particular rich. Fly on the wall and automated saboteur were the ones I prioritised before i saw this guide.

I've been getting a good amount of success crafting purples acquiring materials from GTN and buying up all the schematics to guarantee artifact lvl resources.

Artifice + Slicing + Treasure hunting. My friend has archeology so helps supply with me with crystals when I can't find them in the GTN. That and I pay him money so he can lvl his synthweaving and stuff. Though I find synthweaving not that useful, it would be more useful just to go cybertech so we could fully mod orange gear.

Late game targets are to grab biochem and somehow get augmented slot implants/earpieces/belt.

Synthweaving would be a wholelot more useful if it had a chance of creating augmented slot oranges.

But yeah, slicing is great for suppying more than just 1 person as well.

Morticoccus
12.25.2011 , 05:16 PM | #59
I went with slicing on my main character, and I'm thinking about picking it up instead of diplomacy on my alt as well. The way I see it the only way the crafting system in this game will work is through a lot of credits, either spent on the global trade network or on mission costs for things like diplomacy. It's the way they balanced you being able to use three gathering skills, if slicing wasn't around there would be a lot of credit grubbing by going "Artifice - bioanalysis - scavenging" and then dumping all the mats on the GTN for hugely inflated prices.

Prices that would fall through the floor the second everyone started doing this, killing the server economy. Slicing is a necessary skill to maintain the balance between people earning money to be able to afford buying stuff on the GTN, and people actually selling stuff. Both get money and gear in equal shares, everyone should be happy.

To those that complain about slicing, remember that while you can level a crafing skill up with only green mats, a slicer will have to give up one of his gathering, or indeed crafting skills in order to pick slicing, which means that he will need to buy your materials, as well as your gear, from the trade network.
When all is said and done we're not the only ones who look at life this way: That's what the Sith lords say.
And if they'd ever change as that reminds to say. But every time I see them makes me wish I had a gun. If I thought that I was crazy well I guess I'd have more fun.

Rhiaden
12.25.2011 , 05:17 PM | #60
Thank you for this, I have been trying to figure out the pros and cons of each mission.

As for whether it is OP, that will balance out hopefully once the annoying trade network interface is improved (hopefully it gets changed at least), and people start using the market more...slicers trade a gathering or mission skill for credits basically, so they will need to buy the materials for their craft from market.

At present, the market is still settling in, but it does seem to be picking up a bit, now we just have to make people aware of the neutral AH, and then market games can kick in too!