Hands-on with SWTOR's Galactic Starfighter

The_Grand_Nagus

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And what do you mean playing with the mouse look and strafing set up? the only option I can find for mouse look just turns ship control off.

What I was trying to do is make the reticle stationary on the hud and manage movement in other ways, but... it can't be done. The moving reticle is something you can't work around.

Neither was this:

Guess you both have something in common :)

On the contrary, I posted 'spam' to a post that was identical to one he'd already made. Both of which were full of rudeness, insults and open cursing.

It was basically the antithesis of a 'good post' and I have no problem with calling such posts 'spam' since that sums up such posts rather succinctly, don't you think?

So the books have ships that steer by following pointers and don't have cockpits? cool, sounds like a blast doesn't it!

My comments were to the spirit of how AI and automated systems would work in the SW universe. It has nothing to do with the reticle you are so worked up about.

Way to convolute for the sake of arguing. ;) You keep trying to pull the discussion back into World of Warplanes style targeting and steering. Give it up already. You have what you have in GS... use it or bail.... better yet... eject.

Edited by Andryah

On the contrary, I posted 'spam' to a post that was identical to one he'd already made. Both of which were full of rudeness, insults and open cursing.

It was basically the antithesis of a 'good post' and I have no problem with calling such posts 'spam' since that sums up such posts rather succinctly, don't you think?

Even if it WAS spam, posting just to say that is neither "constructive" or "helpful", which was your complaint about someone else's post.

Way to convolute for the sake of arguing. ;)

And if someone else said that to you, this is what you would say to them:

You have moved from discussing the topic to making ad hominem about other players.

But of course, your own logic doesnt apply to yourself :rolleyes:

Even if it WAS spam, posting just to say that is neither "constructive" or "helpful", which was your complaint about someone else's post.

And if someone else said that to you, this is what you would say to them:

But of course, your own logic doesnt apply to yourself :rolleyes:

You may not find it helpful, but it served a purpose, to point out that the poster was indeed spamming the same post in multiple places.

That is the very definition of spam. Now, you may be offended by my pointing out that spam, but that's irrelevant.

My comments were to the spirit of how AI and automated systems would work in the SW universe. It has nothing to do with the reticle you are so worked up about.

Way to convolute for the sake of arguing. ;) You keep trying to pull the discussion back into World of Warplanes style targeting and steering. Give it up already. You have what you have in GS... use it or bail.... better yet... eject.

Well, for me Andryah this comment is dismissive when it doesn't need to be. The lack of innate joystick/gamepad support may actually stunt the overall potential appeal of this feature, and I am sure, IF....note I said if....that were to be the case that would not be a good thing.

I think the discussion, especially in relation to helping folks find a way to use gamepads/joysticks can be a productive one....maybe it isnt at this point, but it could be.

I think this expansion is important. I want it to have the widest appeal possible, and if that means as KB/mouse I will gladly support it....if it turns out to be gamepad/JS I will hold their feet to the fire until they change it.

Right now, IMO, it's too early to tell.

Well, for me Andryah this comment is dismissive when it doesn't need to be. The lack of innate joystick/gamepad support may actually stunt the overall potential appeal of this feature, and I am sure, IF....note I said if....that were to be the case that would not be a good thing.

I think the discussion, especially in relation to helping folks find a way to use gamepads/joysticks can be a productive one....maybe it isnt at this point, but it could be.

I think this expansion is important. I want it to have the widest appeal possible, and if that means as KB/mouse I will gladly support it....if it turns out to be gamepad/JS I will hold their feet to the fire until they change it.

Right now, IMO, it's too early to tell.

My comment has absolutely nothing to do with joystick/gamepad or not. These have already been demonstrated in this thread to be easily deployable by users that want to use them. Although.. personally, after playing GS... I'm going to stick with mouse control. Anyone can add a stick or pad if they like.. Rafaman has already demonstrated this.

His core issue (which I commented on) is that he does not like the floating reticle. He want's a fixed reticle. It is what it is (which is not dismissive at all, it's fact). I commented earlier that a floating reticle actually makes more sense in the SW universe and I presented why I feel that way.. and he proceed to apply snarky ad hominem to my comments while completely disregarding the context I presented them in LA.

Edited by Andryah

My comment has absolutely nothing to do with joystick/gamepad or not. These have already been demonstrated in this thread to be easily deployable by users that want to use them. Although.. personally, after playing GS... I'm going to stick with mouse control. Anyone can add a stick or pad if they like.. Rafaman has already demonstrated this.

His core issue (which I commented on) is that he does not like the floating reticle. He want's a fixed reticle. It is what it is (which is not dismissive at all, it's fact). I commented earlier that a floating reticle actually makes more sense in the SW universe and I presented why I feel that way.. and he proceed to apply snarky ad hominem to my comments while completely disregarding the context I presented them in LA.

Ah, ok, I stand corrected. Sorry about that.

After trying this out for a while, I'm getting a feeling of dread as time passes. I'm starting to feel like this is NOT ready for prime time.

First, the combat is not using dogfighting physics that I am familiar with and uses a floating reticule.....that in and of itself is not really a problem, but adding in other things makes it an issue IMO.

Second, a lack of on foot capital ship combat, ala BF2 baffles me, especially considering their choice to avoid a dogfighting physics setup. The current setup actually fits in well with on foot combat IMO, since that is what it is essentially, just in 3d space.

Third, one thing that made PVP in BF2 so popular IMO was exactly that FPS overlay...you crawl into your fighter, take off out of the hanger, engage, die, respawn, get into another ship, go at it again...you had cannons and missiles. No upgrades, no boosts, just running and gunning. But that is not what this is.

This seems to me to be an attempt to add in familiar MMO PVP upgrades to a 3d shooter. Now, other games have upgrades, but they are based on kill streaks and unlocks over time, but even the best unlocks do NOT give you a measurable advantage over someone that just joined.

Skill is the key. Unfortunately this setup seems to rely less on skill and more on your setup.

When looking at all of this, I feel this feature took a bad design turn, much like the original space combat feature. Well intentioned, it has it's merits, but it will not be as appealing as it could be IMO.

If it were up to me I would pull it back and make some major changes.

1) Introduce dogfighting physics and a fixed reticle.

2) Add joystick support and first person view.

3) Add on foot combat in capital ships, and remove control points completely...capital ships would be the new "control points".

4) The effect of upgrades would be drastically reduced, only giving upgraded ships a slight edge over basic ones.

I would pull back this feature for a few months until this could be done.

Im sorry for my snarkyness, it comes from your seemingly total lack of understanding of things you are attacking. This post is a perfect example.

My comments are 100% about joystick and gamepad support, I have absolutely no problem with a floating reticle while using a mouse, in fact it makes the game playable with a keyboard and mouse. Now I do think flying with a mouse is just rediculous and there should be stick support but unlike you and your friends I don't want to limit peoples options, I want them to have more options for a wider appeal. Most flight games that support all controllers(aka the ones that don't go out of business) have a floating reticle in mouse mode and a locked one in joystick mode, real horrible idea isn't it?

And as for mapping a pad or stick to GS, doesn't work with a floating reticle, read rafamans posts. . Just because someone doesn't agree with biowares decisions doesn't mean you have to immediately attack them before you even understand what they are talking about.

1) Introduce dogfighting physics and a fixed reticle.

2) Add joystick support and first person view.

3) Add on foot combat in capital ships, and remove control points completely...capital ships would be the new "control points".

4) The effect of upgrades would be drastically reduced, only giving upgraded ships a slight edge over basic ones.

I would pull back this feature for a few months until this could be done.

1&2) If they introduced joystick support the reticle would be locked and the physics would probably feel more in line with what youre used to. Keeping your mouse cursor over a dot on your screen doesn't give you a feel of flying.

3) Id love cap ships and x-format fighting too, but I don't expect it soon, maybe next Christmas. I like the objective games, they could and im pretty sure they will add different kinds through out the year.

• 3 weeks later...
Damn bro, you a TWA pilot or something? I guess I kinda have an idea where you are coming from though, after 2007 and Modern Warfare I've been very picky about the shooters I play.

No, he's right. This is the first dog fighting game I've played since wing commander. And this is messed up. You can't play the game with a controller. Remember, people wanting to play this game played the original X-Wing -- this is NO X-Wing Sir.

While joystick control would be a good addition, I don't really need it.

We had a good time last running all the ships, finding out what we all liked as a guild and having an even better time actually playing the GSF. It was very refreshing.

It does need a little more work but we are in early access and it's just been released so I expect things to change.

Our only real concern that came up was finding out if there was a fleet com cap. We could see even last night, some people playing GSF all day, having tons of coms and out gearing everyone.

While even if you just played your 2 games a day and 7 a week you can eventually even the playing field but there should be a com cap.

Other than that, we had a good time and it was a nice change of pace from our regular PVP matches.