Announcing a Free-to-Play Option

CourtneyWoods

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2.4m players bought the game, in its variations: 150$ CE and 60$ standard. Out of those, 1.7m actually subbed. In december of 2011, 1.7m players were willing to pay 15$ per month to play.

It was never a problem about getting players to actually play the game.. it was about keeping them. This was never a niche game, nor was it advertised as such:

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/wow-to-lose-big-chunk-of-market-share-to-star-wars-old-republic-says-ea/

At the end of the day... this game is turning F2P because, past the hype about the VO and story... it`s just an average MMO with a Star Wars theme.

Average MMOs don`t sell too well for some years now.

Edited by Styxx

I didn't spend the time reading all 100+ pages of posts in this thread so some/all of this may have already been said.

1. The FTP option is really not that big of deal. I have read many threads saying that will destroy the game. How? It will just bring more new players in. The current subscription players will still do what they do now. I don't understand how more new players will destroy the game. If it's an issue of the quality of player, that's what they make the ignore option for.

2. This is absolutely personal opinion but those that complain about $15/month should really step back and look at what they are doing in real life. (short of the younger crowd who don't have a means to make money) I can literally just look around on the ground when walking through daily routine and collect $.50/day. As one post mentioned going to the movies costs more than the monthly subscription and you only get 2-3 hours of entertainment at the movies. If you are not getting 2-3 hours of entertainment a month from SWTOR stop flaming and move on.

3. People still compare every MMO to WOW. WOW has been molded for many years and has time to build its base, a starter MMO will NEVER measure to a successful MMO that been around for 8+ years. If this game makes it check it out in 7 years and compare it to WOW in its state now, then you'll have an arguement.

4. *My most important thought/concern* I have traveled through many MMOs and this turn does raise 1 major concern about a route I hope EA/Bioware does NOT take. Free to play is totally fine, PAY TO WIN is not. I have played multiple MMOs of both types, subscription based and free to play pay to win. I have even fell victim to pay to win. For those that may not know what I mean by pay to win, that is putting in a cash shop that allows people willing to spend money to be measurably stronger than those not spending. I feel pay to win would destroy the game. I know 50+ people that would leave instantly if that type of interface is put in place.

Any/all feedback is appreciated. Enjoy gaming.

Edited by SinFiend

I for one am going to stopplaying now. I was excited in the beginning for this game, the antisapation wasgreat. But now 3 updateds into it, I have lost my love for it. I go on to buy other games ( Skyrim, Battlefeild, COD, etc.)and i stopped paying for SWTOR. And now i see them making half the game for free?! That is just a bit insulting. If you want to ge tmore people to play make it like this, F2P people dont get to buy stuff from the PvP market, the only get one speeder, and the only have the basic color crystals ( red, blue, green, purple). Dont make them only have one character or take a way the Legacy system. It should be all the same. Pay For Convience, yes. Pay For Style, yes. Pay 2 Win? That is were it breaks down. I will not play Swtor untill it all goes free.

I didn't spend the time reading all 100+ pages of posts in this thread so some/all of this may have already been said.

1. The FTP option is really not that big of deal. I have read many threads saying that will destroy the game. How? It will just bring more new players in. The current subscription players will still do what they do now. I don't understand how more new players will destroy the game. If it's an issue of the quality of player, that's what they make the ignore option for.

4. *My most important thought/concern* I have traveled through many MMOs and this turn does raise 1 major concern about a route I hope EA/Bioware does NOT take. Free to play is totally fine, PAY TO WIN is not. I have played multiple MMOs of both types, subscription based and free to play pay to win. I have even fell victim to pay to win. For those that may not know what I mean by pay to win, that is putting in a cash shop that allows people willing to spend money to be measurably stronger than those not spending. I feel pay to win would destroy the game. I know 50+ people that would leave instantly if that type of interface is put in place.

Any/all feedback is appreciated. Enjoy gaming.

I think your number 4 here answers your number 1, some people seem to be under the impression that F2P automatically means P2W. And of course there is always this simple truth; "Haters ganna hate."

Lord of the Rings does this exact same thing and is better for it, because you can use your currency to permanently purchase the areas you play in, and all the while it is free to play. If Star Wars follows suit and builds in a way to earn cartel coins from playing the game like Lotro then that will be cool, but if its just free class quests to lvl 50 but no FPs or WZs or planet quests, ultimately forcing you to buy content or grind endlessly it will fail.

I wish the investors would just look at the forums, I would like to see what they would say during an investors call after seeing the forums.

Half of the investors are *********** old people. You don't get rich enough to invest if your actually in an investors call at young ages.

Why would a bunch of senior citizens give two craps about a game this or any other as long as it makes profit for their tidy little pockets? Believe me they don't. I have an older uncle that is an investor in multiple large corporations a couple of them do some unsavory things to make money but that is another discussion... he basically laughs about it. I heard him utter these words once:

"**** those idiots if I am rich what do they matter?" and followed by, "I could care less how they make money as long as they make it for me..." the second went on into a tirad about lazy immigrants taking good jobs and blah blah yadda yadda. He is a tool. Much like most of the investors are as well:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Do you think the poor run ****?

looks like guilds wars time is soon..... already have most of my guild asking if i have the game and what server i plan to be on been planing to stick with SWTOR for the long hall but with FTP coming and everyone else leaving i think i am going to go to GW2 for a while then maybe back to WOW atleast they let me have addons

when can we can space pvp with ships? what about tokens for digital deluxe players? can you still pvp and do operations at 50 with free to play? When can we get new character class? Can you balance the crew skills a litlle more so the people who don't have augment making skills can make a decent amount of credits? Can you release schematics for the special color crystals, like blue and black?

This is the best thing they could do to make this MMO the top MMO in existance. This will make the game larger and for assessable. I feel that this will be a great move from a business stand point and from a player stand point. I just hope they have an option where if you can't pay for a month you can switch to a free to play option until you want to pay again. I am so excited and have already shared it with all of my friends and family that want to play the game but can't afford the monthly subscription at this time. Good move Swtor! Don't let anyone talk you out of this move! :)

If U wanna see what free to play does to a game check out STO (Star trek online) when we were paying there were talk about more content etc.

As so as f2p came everything stopped and it turned into a store game i.e go to the ingame shop use real money to by crap for the game.

They have just brought out season 6 with guild starbases and 54 new ships, thats about all f2p does.

As so as people stop paying the developers dont have a reason to keep making content.

I bet you that when F2P hits no more content or it will take for ever to get anything!!!!!!

Disappointed

Like others I'm not the least surprised(though I figured they would try to sell lifetimes before going F2P) and I'm not the least upset that it is going F2P. I do think it ignores the problem rather than fixes it. It is sort of like the doctor proscribing pepto for an ear infection. One of those being repetitiveness. Until they can alleviate the problem of both the over repetitiveness in leveling(which they have started doing) and the extreme repetitiveness of the end game not much is going to change except the amount of those that move to F2P(or still quit depending on the restrictions). Then there is the whole list of other things that still need fixing(day 1 bugs still in, some classes nerfed until they are unenjoyable now, etc). Free to Pay isn't just some magical words you can speak over and MMO and expect it to fix things.

Edit: On third thought how do you figure you have enough content to limit anything?

Edited by Sorwen

If U wanna see what free to play does to a game check out STO (Star trek online) when we were paying there were talk about more content etc.

As so as f2p came everything stopped and it turned into a store game i.e go to the ingame shop use real money to by crap for the game.

They have just brought out season 6 with guild starbases and 54 new ships, thats about all f2p does.

As so as people stop paying the developers dont have a reason to keep making content.

I bet you that when F2P hits no more content or it will take for ever to get anything!!!!!!

Disappointed

My feelings exactly!!!!!!! this is no different than Sony destroying Galaxies, or perfect world destroying STO. This does not save games it drives the dedicated players away and only proves that EA is nothing but greedy clowns trying to milk this for all its worth before the walls come crashing down.

Sounds epic. I'm a little cautious because I don't want SWTOR to go under because of this decision but as long as they play their cards right, This game will do excellent. I'm hoping this game will last for years and years to come. I would support it all the way.

The most exciting thing about SWTOR from the beginning for me was the Class Stories... I got bored of grinding the same freaking side quests for every character whose story I wanted to experience.

If there was a Legacy feature that enabled you to gain enough experience from Class quests such that you only had to do a little PvP and side questing (say 20% of the original demand) then I would have stayed in the game.

As it is, I lost interest a LONG time ago because I got bored. I've had my subscription just sitting for nothing because I paid for 6-months. How sad is that. :(

First, you can continue as a subscriber, which gives you unlimited access to all game features and future Game Updates at no additional charge.

http://www.swtor-life.com/video/the-future-of-swtor-jeff-hickman-interview/7112/ wrote:

What (if anything) will subscribers have to pay for after F2P launches?

I wish I had a solid answer for you on that. We’re still in discussion about some of the larger content updates that we’re planning. Great example is the planet Makeb. We’ve talked about Makeb, we have a lot of plans around Makeb. I wish I could give you more details, but I can tell you that I think the playerbase is going to be really, really pleased. More story content. New and interesting things for the players to do. More systems and interesting functions in the game … I can’t go into a lot of detail, but around things like that … This is a pretty big piece (of content). It is probably all that I can say. It is definitely still for discussion whether we sell that to the subscriber or the subscriber gets that for free because it is a big beefy chunk of content.

What's it going to be EA? Eh? Cmon. Make your mind up and do it quick. Put this to rest. You can't have your new Executive Producer contradicting himself within the month... that's just insane. Sort it out already and put this one to rest before you kill what remaining goodwill you have left from regular subscribers.

Edited by MA-Kroy

Looking forward to the Cartel goodies. I'm only making slow progress through the game (I currently have 2 characters level 22 and 19), but I've been a loyal subscriber since early access and would like to see stuff bought from the Cartel give subscribers a clear advantage over F2Pers.:D Edited by Leematon

I agree with the disappointed responses. I understood when they opened it to free to play up to 15 but since I mainly like the storylines the subscription will no longer be worth it. What is really disappointing, and I would hope they would reconsider, is locking those of us who renewed on a 6 month basis prior to this change into that commitment. In my opinion you are changing the terms of that contract and it is not in good faith to not offer us a credit for the months that remain after the game goes free to 50. I just got off the phone with customer service and they said we would not be given a credit option…very poor form. I will be canceling both of my accounts and reverting to free to play.