Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Darth Thanaton and Movativation

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore > Spoilers
Darth Thanaton and Movativation

casirabit
07.04.2019 , 01:09 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by BenKatarn View Post
You see, that exactly is what Idon't get about Thanaton. From what I remember of the comic, Thanaton wasn't even a lord at that point, but he used info recovered from Exal Kressh to essentially blackmail the Dark Council into making him a Darth on the spot, so he didn't exactly play by the rules either.
True, but since when do the Sith ever played by the rules.
A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous. A girl should also always be a lady even when arguing. If you like redheads click my Referral link Referral: http://www.swtor.com/r/VkfKqj https://poshmark.com/closet/tmcevoy1121

FlameYOL
07.05.2019 , 07:24 AM | #12
You see, that exactly is what Idon't get about Thanaton. From what I remember of the comic, Thanaton wasn't even a lord at that point, but he used info recovered from Exal Kressh to essentially blackmail the Dark Council into making him a Darth on the spot, so he didn't exactly play by the rules either.
That's the point of his character IMO, to be a huge hypocrite.
A man can have anything...If he's willing to sacrifice everything

BenKatarn
07.07.2019 , 02:22 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by FlameYOL View Post
That's the point of his character IMO, to be a huge hypocrite.
I can see that, but my problem with it has always been that the story itself does neither acknowledge nor explain it. The story makes no attempt to give a reasonable explanation as to why Thanaton hates you.
- = = The Atrias Legacy = = -
Aryne, Jedi Sentinel | Cayra, Jedi Sage | Kherra, Scoundrel | Khenna, Vanguard
Vertos, Sith Juggernaut | Zedas, Sith Sorcerer | Ysari, Sniper | Neith, Powertech

FlameYOL
07.07.2019 , 08:16 AM | #14
I can see that, but my problem with it has always been that the story itself does neither acknowledge nor explain it. The story makes no attempt to give a reasonable explanation as to why Thanaton hates you.
Doesn't codex entry mentions a bit of his past? Though yeah, it would've been better if you'd be able to call him out on it.
A man can have anything...If he's willing to sacrifice everything

eoral
11.13.2019 , 06:46 PM | #15
I haven't read the comic about Thanaton so I can only go from what the class story gives us. My understanding that as well as SI being Zash's apprentice and so must die etc. Thanaton is a zealot when it comes to Sith tradition and in Sith tradition slaves just don't become Sith let alone thrive in the order.

Many Sith were forced to accept slaves becoming Sith and I think the codex says about slavery in the empire "the Sith Academy has started accepting slaves who show a strong affinity for the Force… though many still look on these former slaves with disdain."

Thanaton like most Sith had slaves, Harken says he always passes over picking from the slave acolytes and at the end of class story after everything SI has accomplished and proved he or she is worth being a Lord of the Sith, Thanaton diminish that and refers to you as a slave to the Dark Council "I will not be betrayed I will not die and when I kill this slave you will all answer for it". Pretty much implying the corruption in the Sith order is you simply because you're of low origins and that Thanaton has issues with a slave's sudden rise to power going against his beloved tradition. The whole him wanting you dead for being Zash's apprentice to me is just cover for his true feelings.

His hate is irrational (which is the nature of hate anyway) and if he was a slave himself perhaps he is projecting. If that is the case he could hate his own background , being a Sith who came from slavery and feel that he is part of the corruption to Sith tradition but to protect his own view of himself he seeks to destroy external representations (otherwise the SI) of that very thing he himself is.
After all people often hate others for what they hate within themselves. Which unresolved leads to people seeking to destroying the thing they hate. That's my understanding of Thanaton's motivation.

cool-dude
11.18.2019 , 06:22 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Xenipher View Post
I'm going through the SI story and....why does Thanaton want to kill my SI, exactly? I listened to all of the dialogue and pay close attention, but I am still confused on what's happening in this story. I'm midway through part 2.
Because he sees Zash and you do things he wish he would of thought of doing. Thanaton rose to power by being the Dark councils *****
I'm a cool dude