What are YOUR thoughts on Legacy Names no longer being unique?

AbsolutGrndZero

So, Legacy names are no longer unique and in a future patch they will allow existing players to rename their legacy ONCE.

I for one am happy for this since my original name of Babylon was taken when I was forced to change servers. (Long story on why, just suffice it to say I chose to start over on Drooga than go to Ebon Hawk) But, by the time I got my new character(s) to 35ish, Babylon was taken.

So, Legacy names are no longer unique and in a future patch they will allow existing players to rename their legacy ONCE.

I for one am happy for this since my original name of Babylon was taken when I was forced to change servers. (Long story on why, just suffice it to say I chose to start over on Drooga than go to Ebon Hawk) But, by the time I got my new character(s) to 35ish, Babylon was taken.

Where did they mention this and in what future patch? If this is happening, then I cannot wait to change my Legacy name! :D

I do have to say, however, with the addition of too many servers and having to consolidate transfers, they really killed many first and Legacy names. It's really sad.

Edited by MOPSFounder

Where did they mention this and in what future patch? If this is happening, then I cannot wait to change my Legacy name! :D

I do have to say, however, with the addition of too many servers and having to consolidate transfers, they really killed many first and Legacy names. It's really sad.

I don't understand AT ALL why they made this decision. They often do things but usually there is some sort of reasong that I understand... here, there is none. Not one single explanation makes sense, there were SEVERAL better ways to solve the double names after the server merges, but, noooo, they went for the worse one.

That being said, this is not the end of the world for me. It's just another drop in the bucket of disapointements.

I don't understand AT ALL why they made this decision. They often do things but usually there is some sort of reasong that I understand... here, there is none. Not one single explanation makes sense, there were SEVERAL better ways to solve the double names after the server merges, but, noooo, they went for the worse one.

That being said, this is not the end of the world for me. It's just another drop in the bucket of disapointements.

I definitely agree. EAWare has been nothing but "talk-talk" and just a load of crock.

I'm just excited for this because I currently hate my Legacy name, but they handled the consolidation of addition to servers, transfers to/from servers and the latency to the servers, etc. very, very poorly.

It's in the Patch notes.

People were SCREAMING for this change all over the forums. Now it's here and people are complaining. Unbelievable, but 100% expected.

People were SCREAMING for this change all over the forums. Now it's here and people are complaining. Unbelievable, but 100% expected.

Not the same people.

While I would have taken an entirely different approach to the naming system in the first place (legacy names first, and they would be unique, then each character would have a non-unique first name), they did what they did.

With them doing this, legacy names barely matter any more.

I can not choose to display my legacy with any pride, as any number of jerks could be displaying the exact same legacy.

So what if I (or you, or they) have to use a special character or two to get the basic legacy name that you want? Is it better that a hundred people can now have the same legacy name?

Will players feel better that they can be "Luke Smith" rather than "Luke Smïth", knowing that there could be a hundred other Smiths out there on the server making people think that the Smiths are not people that they want to team up with?

Edited by Mithros

The way I see it is that letting us have the name we want will keep the names somewhat reasonable. Like below, I still have my old signature from Rubat Crystal where I had the name "Babylon" as my legacy. I had "Rhee" on Ebon Hawk, and so when the transfer happened, the game forced me to stick with Rhee. Coupled with that plus the loss of all FOUR of my Rubat names below I chose to REROLL on Drooga's Pleasure Barge where I was able to at least get Jennica and Racquel. Then, when hit 35 on Jennica, I found out that "Babylon" was taken. Now, I've never seen this other person, and I seriously doubt many are going to want the name Babylon, in fact it surprised me that someone else already had it.

Sure, I could have kept the names below by adding accent marks, but I've never been one to do that. I feel it cheapens the name for the person who had it first.

As for the special characters and jerks, do you ALWAYS notice those special characters? If you saw Jennicâ and she was a total jerk and you forgot to ignore her, then a week later you see Jennica and you remember that name OMG she was a jerk... but will you 100% sure remember that you didnt see Jennica, but in fact saw Jennicâ? It's the same way here. Nothing is keeping you from confusing the Babylon legacy with the Bâbylon legacy. So this changes nothing except letting people have the name they want without resorting to special characters that since we have unique names NOW, just confuse the issue.

Edited by AbsolutGrndZero

I'm okay with it. I'd like First names to not be unique as well, but it would be so problematic implementing it that it's best just to leave that alone.

On Sanctum of the Exalted I had a fanboy Legacy name, the move to Ebon Hawk had me change it and I put a lot of time and thought into it since naming my character has ALWAYS been the hardest thing for me in games. I chose a name that is derived from Mando'a and is much better than what I had. I was pleased that when I started on Jung Ma that it was also available there.

As for the special characters and jerks, do you ALWAYS notice those special characters? If you saw Jennicâ and she was a total jerk and you forgot to ignore her, then a week later you see Jennica and you remember that name OMG she was a jerk... but will you 100% sure remember that you didnt see Jennica, but in fact saw Jennicâ?

If they were that big a jerk, you bet I would.

But again, this is where they should have tied the legacy system into the ignore list... If someone belonging to the Jennïca legacy is jerk enough for me to add them to my ignore list, I should have that entire legacy added to my ignore list automatically, or at the very least have the option to do that later (add a box to the ignore list that includes legacies, for example).

It's not like Joe Jennïca is a complete jerk but (in a unique legacy name world) Tom Jennïca is a wonderful human being.

The same person is behind the keyboard, and that is who you are ultimately wishing to ignore for whatever reason.

Edited by Mithros

Legacies should be unique. What they should do is allow us to give each individual character their own last name. Who cares if there are 15 differant players with the same last name? The Legacy name differantiates them from each other. Keep Legacy names unique but let us give each character a last name.

I think I've moved on from grieving over not-unique legacy names, and started asking the question "Why didn't they make first names non-unique?" It would have made so much more sense. First names are always more common than last names. Why would you nix the unique status that players could, basically, give themselves?

Personally, I think TSW and GW2 has the best idea - you have a unique username, but you can choose whatever the heck first and last name you want.

I understand the points about "I have a reputation to uphold!" and the desire to be unique, but ultimately I think being able to choose the name you want is a more popular and meaningful request. People who want to choose a popular character name probably don't care about uniqueness. Those who are more concerned about uniqueness will try to purposely create a unique name.

I can't wait, I didn't know what a legacy name was at the time and I just made something up, I really want to change it. I don't care if someone has the same legacy name as me, people have the same last name irl after all. It might actually be fun to find others with the same name.

I love it. I can finally have the name I always wanted, regardless of whether someone was a bit faster with it on the Legacy in last december. My name does no longer have to be a compromise. I have no problem with other "Midnight"s, apart from the fact that I never even once saw the original "Midnight" on The Progenitor, so it's really just a few people and I don't see how this would negatively affect me. I find it very likely that the original owner does not play the game anymore.

For me this whole change yesterday was a very lucky thing - I didn't have to change any first names, my characters have the first names I wanted, but I could change my last lame, which I was never content with.

If I had known what was to come I would have just deleted one of my characters which I am not going to play anymore anyway. "Vyra" is not a particularly good name, sounds a bit like a female variant of "virus", but it's only two syllabils and I like the sound of it. Since I started a new character of the same class but a more interesting background (a Chiss Jedi Sentinel, who is supposedly the daughter of my Imperial Agent) I would have had no problem with abandoning the first name "Vyra" on The Progenitor.

I think it would have been better to give people the option to deliberately abandon a name, which would force you to pick a new name on next log in of the character and would let the name fall immediately to the next in line who hasn't changed his character's name yet. The advantage of that would have been a free name change.

Edited by Rabenschwinge