Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Bodies Stay Forever In Flashpoints/ Open World

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Suggestion Box
Bodies Stay Forever In Flashpoints/ Open World

SteveStetson's Avatar


SteveStetson
01.16.2020 , 03:35 AM | #1
I'm not sure if anyone will ever read this but here is my one single request as a Founder and fan of SWTOR since the Beta.

Bodies disappearing make this game feel so empty, and "seeing your wake of destruction" is non existent in this game, simply due to 2 reasons. Explosion marks and Corpses vanish in less than 30 seconds. I was wondering if the dev's could make a graphics option for higher end computers so that ALL corpses stay or have a time limit option (say 1-5 min) In Flashpoints or even better in the Open World. Ive seen other MMO's have this option, such as Terra and even the older (classic) WoW has corpses stay around for well over 2 min in the open world. I know this game isnt meant to be realistic, but i would like to atleast have immersive elements in this game, like longer ranged NPC rendering or maybe longer Aggro/Line of Sight for AI. Anyways im getting off topic. If you've got this far. Thank you very much.

I was going to compile all my footage of bodies disappearing like obi-wan into a youtube video but ill do that at a later point.
Thank you very much for reading

xordevoreaux's Avatar


xordevoreaux
01.16.2020 , 07:49 AM | #2
You apparently have no idea the crap players went through a few expansions ago when bodies were piling up so much we couldn't loot. Bodies piling up was a huge problem, and the forums were on fire about it, and here you are, wanting to put us right back into that same mess.

No thank you.
Referral Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/F4XbCd
In English, a leading X on a word is pronounced like a Z. (zorDEVoro).

SteveStetson's Avatar


SteveStetson
01.16.2020 , 01:18 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by xordevoreaux View Post
You apparently have no idea the crap players went through a few expansions ago when bodies were piling up so much we couldn't loot. Bodies piling up was a huge problem, and the forums were on fire about it, and here you are, wanting to put us right back into that same mess.

No thank you.
That's why they make it an OPTION for players the want an immersive experience.

DarkTergon's Avatar


DarkTergon
01.17.2020 , 03:19 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by SteveStetson View Post
That's why they make it an OPTION for players the want an immersive experience.
I can't imagine it would be easy to implement, especially with the issues they already have with the engine and coding it.
No Idea if people use these, but if so, here's my referral link
http://www.swtor.com/r/jFXFFQ

SteveTheCynic's Avatar


SteveTheCynic
01.17.2020 , 06:05 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by SteveStetson View Post
That's why they make it an OPTION for players the want an immersive experience.
It's probably a bad idea for *your* trail of destruction to appear for me, even if I want to see *my* trail of destruction.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
> @"Biff.5312" said:
> Exercise your whimsy.

xordevoreaux's Avatar


xordevoreaux
01.17.2020 , 07:01 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by SteveTheCynic View Post
It's probably a bad idea for *your* trail of destruction to appear for me, even if I want to see *my* trail of destruction.
Forget experience. The issue is lag. The server has to keep track of all those instantiated objects until it performs garbage collection and removes them. The larger the quantity of bodies to remove, the bigger the hit to server performance every time garbage collection kicks in.
Referral Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/F4XbCd
In English, a leading X on a word is pronounced like a Z. (zorDEVoro).

SteveTheCynic's Avatar


SteveTheCynic
01.17.2020 , 12:09 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by xordevoreaux View Post
Forget experience. The issue is lag. The server has to keep track of all those instantiated objects until it performs garbage collection and removes them. The larger the quantity of bodies to remove, the bigger the hit to server performance every time garbage collection kicks in.
Not necessarily. If I can only see *my* dead foes then they can be stored on the client, and it will have essentially no effect on *server* processing requirements. There are some practical issues around loot and similar in a heavily trafficked areas (er, in context, that means areas where I am sticking around killing stuff), and the effect of lots of enemies on frame rates would be punitive, especially with shadows turned on.

To be honest, the only trail-of-destruction corpses I'd want to see are the ones that *should* be there: I'm in a story instance and I murder an NPC in a cut-scene, and I cannot see the NPC's corpse in the instance after the cut-scene.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
> @"Biff.5312" said:
> Exercise your whimsy.

SteveStetson's Avatar


SteveStetson
01.17.2020 , 03:48 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by SteveTheCynic View Post
Not necessarily. If I can only see *my* dead foes then they can be stored on the client, and it will have essentially no effect on *server* processing requirements. There are some practical issues around loot and similar in a heavily trafficked areas (er, in context, that means areas where I am sticking around killing stuff), and the effect of lots of enemies on frame rates would be punitive, especially with shadows turned on.

To be honest, the only trail-of-destruction corpses I'd want to see are the ones that *should* be there: I'm in a story instance and I murder an NPC in a cut-scene, and I cannot see the NPC's corpse in the instance after the cut-scene.
100% agreed, that and in flashpoints. I feel like they could easily add client sided corpse count, much like in Rising Storm 2, Mordhau, Arma 3, Hell Let Loose, Terra, and many many other games where the client can modify .ini files to have bodies stay for as long as you want.

SteveStetson's Avatar


SteveStetson
01.17.2020 , 03:48 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by SteveTheCynic View Post
Not necessarily. If I can only see *my* dead foes then they can be stored on the client, and it will have essentially no effect on *server* processing requirements. There are some practical issues around loot and similar in a heavily trafficked areas (er, in context, that means areas where I am sticking around killing stuff), and the effect of lots of enemies on frame rates would be punitive, especially with shadows turned on.

To be honest, the only trail-of-destruction corpses I'd want to see are the ones that *should* be there: I'm in a story instance and I murder an NPC in a cut-scene, and I cannot see the NPC's corpse in the instance after the cut-scene.
I feel like they could even add it in the open world as well. There arent many players per instance either, especially pvp isntances. I'm the only person on nar shada that is in the pvp instance. no one else is here.

SteveTheCynic's Avatar


SteveTheCynic
01.18.2020 , 02:19 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by SteveStetson View Post
I feel like they could even add it in the open world as well. There arent many players per instance either, especially pvp isntances. I'm the only person on nar shada that is in the pvp instance. no one else is here.
If only you can *see* the corpses, then they can be managed locally on your PC rather than centrally, and it doesn't matter how many other players are in the instance. (Whether that's a planetary instance or a phase-walled mission instance, of course.)

My point about the "murdered story NPC" corpses is that those are almost(1) exclusively in mission instances, so there can be no weirdness about me seeing him dead because I've already killed him and you seeing him alive at the same moment in the same planetary instance because you're *about* to kill him.

(1) I think "almost" is wrong here, because I can't think of a counter-example to just plain "exclusively", but I'm not 100% certain.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
> @"Biff.5312" said:
> Exercise your whimsy.